Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Idk about bigger than Ewers (assuming Ewers plays well), but agree with the rest and that he’d be the second biggest transfer. Wish we got two transfer edges. 

I think it is a legit argument to say Mathis is as big a pick up for 2022 as Ewers. The fact that Ewers has 3 more season left after this year, makes him the obvious biggest transfer ever for Texas 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is a legit argument to say Mathis is as big a pick up for 2022 as Ewers. The fact that Ewers has 3 more season left after this year, makes him the obvious biggest transfer ever for Texas 

There is no world in which Ewers stays 4 years and has the biggest positive impact as a transfer ever for Texas.  Stupid to even suggest Ewers being here more than two years.

Edited by Irieguy

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

There is no world in which Ewers stays 4 years and has the biggest positive impact as a transfer ever for Texas.  Stupid to even suggest Ewers being here more than two years.

Wow, that response made me dumber. Mathis is one and done. Ewers has 4 years. That makes him the biggest transfer ever. That and being the former #1 recruit in the country. Nobody said he was staying for 4 years, but his available eligibility is part of the calculus when you get a transfer. Kids with multiple years of eligibility are worth more. I would think someone with your vast knowledge would realize there is a difference between stating his eligibility and make a prediction on the length of his Texas career. Try this before you respond next time:

https://www.rif.org/

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

I know we’re running low on scholarships, correct me if I’m wrong. But what’s stopping them from getting a badass safety or linebacker “walk-on.” With NIL can’t somebody just drop a shit load of cash on them that’ll cover everything they need?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Wow, that response made me dumber. Mathis is one and done. Ewers has 4 years. That makes him the biggest transfer ever. That and being the former #1 recruit in the country. Nobody said he was staying for 4 years, but his available eligibility is part of the calculus when you get a transfer. Kids with multiple years of eligibility are worth more. I would think someone with your vast knowledge would realize there is a difference between stating his eligibility and make a prediction on the length of his Texas career. Try this before you respond next time:

https://www.rif.org/

No. You are the stupid one. Try and follow along. If Ewers stays more than two years, that means he has performed horribly in the first two years and has negatively impacted the team. No other scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Mentioning four years in the plus column is moronic. There is no scenario where Ewers performs poorly enough to not go pro after two years and be an asset that Texas wants in his third year. None. He is in a very particular situation. He could only be a wasted scholarship in his third year. That’s the “calculus” of a five star QB with his particular aspirations and history. 

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

No. You are the stupid one. Try and follow along. If Ewers stays more than two years, that means he has performed horribly in the first two years and has negatively impacted the team. No other scenario. 

If he stays only two years, he's the biggest transfer ever and far more impactful than Mathis, who will be here one year and who doesn't handle the pall 80 or 90 times per game.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

If he stays only two years, he's the biggest transfer ever and far more impactful than Mathis, who will be here one year and who doesn't handle the pall 80 or 90 times per game.

That’s fine. No need to mention four years. 

7 hours ago, Irieguy said:

That’s fine. No need to mention four years. 

His eligibility is simply a fact. If has a career like Elhinger he will still be the biggest transfer at Texas. There are a lot of scenarios that can play out.  Instead of acting like a petulant child, perhaps you should take a moment and ponder them. 

8 hours ago, Irieguy said:

He could get injured and miss part of a season. He could be given a 2nd round grade in the NFL draft after year 2 and decide to come back. Try thinking it through

12 hours ago, OB3 said:

I know we’re running low on scholarships, correct me if I’m wrong. But what’s stopping them from getting a badass safety or linebacker “walk-on.” With NIL can’t somebody just drop a shit load of cash on them that’ll cover everything they need?

said badass Safety or LB has to say YES

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

He could get injured and miss part of a season. He could be given a 2nd round grade in the NFL draft after year 2 and decide to come back. Try thinking it through

Only a moron thinks he would come back after getting a second round grade. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Only a moron thinks he would come back after getting a second round grade. 

Why? He is probably making anywhere from 2-5 million in NIL money depending on the source. He comes from money and is making money, most people understand that the math is changing for players to leave early. Only a child doesn’t see that and speaks in absolutes. Though now we are onto another argument, I am guessing that is because you realize how ignorant your initial post was

Edited by Codaxx

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

His eligibility is simply a fact. If has a career like Elhinger he will still be the biggest transfer at Texas. There are a lot of scenarios that can play out.  Instead of acting like a petulant child, perhaps you should take a moment and ponder them. 

If Ewers has a career like Ehlinger, he will have more carries than Bijan, will play well every third game, but i say damn will us fans love him.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

If Ewers has a career like Ehlinger, he will have more carries than Bijan, will play well every third game, but i say damn will us fans love him.

Have you seen the transfer list at Texas? To be the most productive transfer ever at Texas, Ewers has to be half of what Texas fans hope he will be. It’s not like Texas has a couple Heisman trophies QBs. It’s named like Brian Jones, Calvin Anderson, Swaim, and Watson. Sure I am missing someone, but Texas has not gotten much from transfers historically 

Edited by Codaxx

13 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Wtf is going on here? Ewers is tied with VY for our highest rated recruit/transfer ever. And he plays by far the most important position on the field. 

If he does half of what he should be capable of, would be our best QB since Colt. 

No way you forgot about 18 wheeler…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Have you seen the transfer list at Texas? To be the most productive transfer ever at Texas, Ewers has to be half of what Texas fans hope he will be. It’s not like Texas has a couple Heisman trophies QBs. It’s named like Brian Jones, Calvin Anderson, Swaim, and Watson. Sure I am missing someone, but Texas has not gotten much from transfers historically 

ryan nunez!

10 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Gary Johnson 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stampede

Spoiler

The Longhorns have a big opportunity this weekend when they will host a large group of visitors for the first weekend of spring practice. The visit will be headlined by five-star quarterback Arch Manning and several other priority targets for Texas.

We will preview the visit this week along with a recap after the weekend, but Texas is looking to build this class on a cornerstone of elite prospects at their position. Over the weekend at Pylon 7-on-7, five-star running back Rueben Owens told me that he talks often in a group text with Manning, four-star DeSoto wide receiver Johntay Cook and five-star Denton Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill.

The “Core Four”, as I call it, is a group of prospects represent the best in the state or country at their position, and the Longhorns are deep in the mix for all of them. While the group isn’t set on playing together, wining one or two could bring the rest of them together. So who are these players and where do their recruitments stand?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break down each member of the “Core Four” and where the Longhorns stand in their recruitment.

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman

The nation’s top quarterback and top overall prospect represents the next generation in football’s first family of quarterbacks. Manning is the most high-profile recruit I’ve ever covered and the scrutiny on his recruitment is unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

Texas put itself into the conversation for Manning the moment Steve Sarkisian was hired, and they’ve been able to establish position near the top of the list for him. A large part of that is because of the relationships Sarkisian and AJ Milwee have built with Manning and his family. The offensive fit is another reason Texas is in the conversation to land him.

Another part of that success is everything around Texas. The move to the SEC certainly helps, but Texas was a contender before that was announced. When it comes to the brand power and prestige that goes along with playing quarterback for a program like Texas, few programs can match it even after a decade of struggles. Austin is also a huge part of the equation. We are told that Manning loves the city and the campus comparing it in some ways to his hometown of New Orleans.

Arch Manning (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

All-in-all, Texas checks a ton of boxes for him. We heard originally that landing Quinn Ewers could decrease the chances for Texas to get Manning, but we no longer feel that’s the case. Assuming Ewers wins the starting job, he could conceivably play two years and leave for the NFL if he proves worthy following Manning’s redshirt year.

With all that in mind, the Longhorns are up against some heavyweights. Alabama and Georgia both check the blue blood boxes and have been engaged with Manning for a while. At this time, I see Georgia as more of a threat than Alabama, but the Crimson Tide should never be counted out of a recruitment. One thing to watch will be Alabama’s pursuit of Eli Holstein who recently decommitted from Texas A&M. If they push for him, it eliminates another program in the race.

Ole Miss has the family connection through his uncle Eli Manning and his grandfather Archie Manning, and Lane Kiffin’s offense is built for quarterbacks to put up numbers. Florida and LSU are relative newcomers to the recruitment with new head coaches in place. While we expect Manning to give both programs a hard look, we still think it comes down to the schools that have been around for the long haul.

Manning hasn’t named a timeline, and we don’t expect him to. If we had to guess, there will likely be a round of spring/summer official visits with a decision coming before his senior year. This visit to Austin will be Manning’s third and he’s coming off of a trip to Georgia over the weekend.

Assuming everything goes well this weekend, I expect Texas to remain near the top. If you want an indication of how Texas views this recruitment, they are all in with no backup options at the position. We will see how it comes out after this weekend.

Manning hasn’t named a timeline, and we don’t expect him to. If we had to guess, there will likely be a round of spring/summer official visits with a decision coming before his senior year. This visit to Austin will be Manning’s third and he’s coming off of a trip to Georgia over the weekend.

Assuming everything goes well this weekend, I expect Texas to remain near the top. If you want an indication of how Texas views this recruitment, they are all in with no backup options at the position. We will see how it comes out after this weekend.

Anthony Hill (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

One of the best defenders in the state and arguably the best pure football player in the country, Hill represents a significant need for position, talent and perception. The nation’s No. 1 inside linebacker and No. 11 overall player recently cut his list to six with Texas battling Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Miami, Alabama and USC.

The Longhorns started this recruitment at a deficit, but the effort from Sarkisian’s staff after taking over has them in the race. Hill is considering a visit in the next two weeks and will likely be in Austin for the spring game.

Out of the four prospects listed, I’d handicap hill as the one with the longest odds to land. Texas A&M and Oklahoma both offered earlier and were able to forge a connection. Even with the coaching change at Oklahoma, Brent Venables and his staff ensured there wasn’t a drop off.

Hill speaks glowingly about every school recruiting him, so it’s hard to take too much from his comments. Our best intel says that it probably comes down to Texas, Texas A&M or Oklahoma, but I’ll remind you again to never count Alabama out of a recruitment.

Texas has the immediate need for a player of his ability to step in and start. Texas also has some friendly voices in their corner with former Ryan teammates Ja’Tavion Sanders and Austin Jordan suiting up for the Horns this season. The same can be said for Oklahoma with former Ryan star Billy Bowman on their roster.

The Longhorns are certainly in it, but it’s hard to say they are playing from a position of strength right now. They are throwing everything they can into the recruitment with multiple members of the staff involved in the effort. While Hill will make his own decision, landing the other three could help in the pursuit.

Timing will be tricky as each recruit is looking at a different decision date. Hill said in the past that his next move will be a commitment rather than cutting his list down any further. He’s graduating early, so December would be the latest a decision would come. Texas has no choice but to keep chopping in an effort to land the impact defender.

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo

A one-time Texas commit Owens is still very much focused on Texas among a few other schools. The nation’s No. 2 running back and No. 23 overall player widened his scope and maintains that he’s fully open, but he’s set to return to Austin this weekend.

Owens was planning to do back-to-back weekends in Austin, but 7-on-7 will likely keep him from returning on April 2. Owens is also planning a trip to USC for the weekend of the Texas spring game, but if they can’t make it to the west coast they will likely return to Austin.

The transition from Stan Drayton to Tashard Choice has been smooth considering Owens had a tight relationship with him while he was at Georgia Tech. Owens also has a special connection with Texas Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris. The two talk daily and Owens considers Harris to be a big brother.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

It’s been a while since Owens was on campus, but they’ve got the chance to make some noise coming out of it. Our best intel gives Texas a slight lead, but Georgia and Texas A&M are right on their heels. Owens will visit College Station for the Aggies’ spring game in April. He wants to take a few of his official visits in the summer and save some for big games in the fall. He’s eyeing a late-season decision date as of now.

Owens mentioned the Texas-Alabama game as one he wanted to see for sure, but he noted that he’d likely take an official visit in the summer and return for that game on an unofficial visit.

Sources near Owens have indicated on multiple occasions that he’d like the opportunity to play in his home state if everything lines up for him. That would certainly put Texas and Texas A&M in the pole position for him, but it’s not something that’s etched in stone for him.

Landing Manning would certainly help with Owens. The two were the first of the group to become close with one another and still talk often to this day. Regardless, Texas stands in a strong position with a great opportunity for playing time in the coming year if Bijan Robinson leaves for the NFL.

For Owens, the Longhorns just need to continue with what they’ve been doing.

Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto

One of the most interesting recruitments on the board for the Longhorns surrounds one of the most electric playmakers in the state. Cook became a big name during his freshman year at DeSoto but really blew up as a sophomore. In his junior campaign, Cook recorded 806 yards and cashed in on 19 touchdowns on 38 catches. A touchdown to reception ratio of 1/2 is almost unheard of at the high school level and illustrates how much of an offensive threat Cook is.

Texas seemed to have an early lead in this recruitment, but several schools have been able to establish footing in the race. Alabama has been a long-time factor while Texas A&M is the team generating the most steam at the moment. Cook also mentioned taking trips to Michigan and Ohio State and a recent trip to LSU has the Tigers in the conversation.

Brennan Marion has been able to do a good job of establishing a connection with Cook since taking over, and his track record of development should help along with Sark’s receiver-friendly offense. Cook is competing at the Texas Relays this weekend and planning to make a visit while in town. He’s also tentatively scheduled for a return trip on April 2.

Johntay Cook (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Texas A&M shouldn’t be underestimated. Cook is extremely close with Evan Stewart, and the former five-star has been sending him clips of practice. Cook feels that if the Aggies can get the ball to Stewart, he can play a similar role in the offense. His relationship with Dameyune Craig is also extremely strong.

While Cook will look into all of his options, this feels like a Lone Star showdown between former and future on-field rivals. If Texas A&M can show the aptitude for throwing the ball and developing wide receivers, they have a fantastic shot to land him.

COMMENTS
One thing in my head is the number of ties Texas has to this recruitment. Marion has been huge early on, but Chris Gilbert grew up with Cook’s father and the Longhorns are making it clear to him about how big of a priority he is.

Another factor could be which way the Aggies decide to go at the quarterback position. The defection of Holstein didn’t hurt anything with Cook as the two were never really close. Like Owens, Cook developed a relationship with Manning last summer after meeting him on a visit to Texas. Aside from the group of prospects, Texas needs players like Cook at the receiver position to invigorate the playmaking ability of the wide receiver room.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/19/2022 at 8:00 PM, D3zii said:

Mathis transfer bigger than Ewers!??? Yea I’m not seeing it. . We’ve been down the road where we don’t have a QB but everything else is set and we all know how that went. .

Give me the great QB all day 

I missed this, but I do think it is arguable. In my opinion the biggest issue for Texas last year was the edges on defense. Babers at one pt said opposing offenses were running for 10+ yards on the left side D gap (not 100% sure on left or right). Getting a little pass rush and some solid contain work out of a edge player could result in a drastic improvement in the defense. I thought QB was a big problem last year, but Texas still finished 25th in pts per drive (95th on defense). 35th in OFEI and 52 in DFEI. IF Ewers plays in year 1 like a complete stud, than there is no argument. I also dont think that is highly likely, maybe by mid/late OCt, but I would presume there will be some growing pains in year 1. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Stampede

Hide contents

The Longhorns have a big opportunity this weekend when they will host a large group of visitors for the first weekend of spring practice. The visit will be headlined by five-star quarterback Arch Manning and several other priority targets for Texas.

We will preview the visit this week along with a recap after the weekend, but Texas is looking to build this class on a cornerstone of elite prospects at their position. Over the weekend at Pylon 7-on-7, five-star running back Rueben Owens told me that he talks often in a group text with Manning, four-star DeSoto wide receiver Johntay Cook and five-star Denton Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill.

The “Core Four”, as I call it, is a group of prospects represent the best in the state or country at their position, and the Longhorns are deep in the mix for all of them. While the group isn’t set on playing together, wining one or two could bring the rest of them together. So who are these players and where do their recruitments stand?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break down each member of the “Core Four” and where the Longhorns stand in their recruitment.

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman

The nation’s top quarterback and top overall prospect represents the next generation in football’s first family of quarterbacks. Manning is the most high-profile recruit I’ve ever covered and the scrutiny on his recruitment is unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

Texas put itself into the conversation for Manning the moment Steve Sarkisian was hired, and they’ve been able to establish position near the top of the list for him. A large part of that is because of the relationships Sarkisian and AJ Milwee have built with Manning and his family. The offensive fit is another reason Texas is in the conversation to land him.

Another part of that success is everything around Texas. The move to the SEC certainly helps, but Texas was a contender before that was announced. When it comes to the brand power and prestige that goes along with playing quarterback for a program like Texas, few programs can match it even after a decade of struggles. Austin is also a huge part of the equation. We are told that Manning loves the city and the campus comparing it in some ways to his hometown of New Orleans.

Arch Manning (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

All-in-all, Texas checks a ton of boxes for him. We heard originally that landing Quinn Ewers could decrease the chances for Texas to get Manning, but we no longer feel that’s the case. Assuming Ewers wins the starting job, he could conceivably play two years and leave for the NFL if he proves worthy following Manning’s redshirt year.

With all that in mind, the Longhorns are up against some heavyweights. Alabama and Georgia both check the blue blood boxes and have been engaged with Manning for a while. At this time, I see Georgia as more of a threat than Alabama, but the Crimson Tide should never be counted out of a recruitment. One thing to watch will be Alabama’s pursuit of Eli Holstein who recently decommitted from Texas A&M. If they push for him, it eliminates another program in the race.

Ole Miss has the family connection through his uncle Eli Manning and his grandfather Archie Manning, and Lane Kiffin’s offense is built for quarterbacks to put up numbers. Florida and LSU are relative newcomers to the recruitment with new head coaches in place. While we expect Manning to give both programs a hard look, we still think it comes down to the schools that have been around for the long haul.

Anthony Hill (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

One of the best defenders in the state and arguably the best pure football player in the country, Hill represents a significant need for position, talent and perception. The nation’s No. 1 inside linebacker and No. 11 overall player recently cut his list to six with Texas battling Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Miami, Alabama and USC.

The Longhorns started this recruitment at a deficit, but the effort from Sarkisian’s staff after taking over has them in the race. Hill is considering a visit in the next two weeks and will likely be in Austin for the spring game.

Out of the four prospects listed, I’d handicap hill as the one with the longest odds to land. Texas A&M and Oklahoma both offered earlier and were able to forge a connection. Even with the coaching change at Oklahoma, Brent Venables and his staff ensured there wasn’t a drop off.

Hill speaks glowingly about every school recruiting him, so it’s hard to take too much from his comments. Our best intel says that it probably comes down to Texas, Texas A&M or Oklahoma, but I’ll remind you again to never count Alabama out of a recruitment.

Texas has the immediate need for a player of his ability to step in and start. Texas also has some friendly voices in their corner with former Ryan teammates Ja’Tavion Sanders and Austin Jordan suiting up for the Horns this season. The same can be said for Oklahoma with former Ryan star Billy Bowman on their roster.

The Longhorns are certainly in it, but it’s hard to say they are playing from a position of strength right now. They are throwing everything they can into the recruitment with multiple members of the staff involved in the effort. While Hill will make his own decision, landing the other three could help in the pursuit.

Timing will be tricky as each recruit is looking at a different decision date. Hill said in the past that his next move will be a commitment rather than cutting his list down any further. He’s graduating early, so December would be the latest a decision would come. Texas has no choice but to keep chopping in an effort to land the impact defender.

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo

A one-time Texas commit Owens is still very much focused on Texas among a few other schools. The nation’s No. 2 running back and No. 23 overall player widened his scope and maintains that he’s fully open, but he’s set to return to Austin this weekend.

Owens was planning to do back-to-back weekends in Austin, but 7-on-7 will likely keep him from returning on April 2. Owens is also planning a trip to USC for the weekend of the Texas spring game, but if they can’t make it to the west coast they will likely return to Austin.

The transition from Stan Drayton to Tashard Choice has been smooth considering Owens had a tight relationship with him while he was at Georgia Tech. Owens also has a special connection with Texas Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris. The two talk daily and Owens considers Harris to be a big brother.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

It’s been a while since Owens was on campus, but they’ve got the chance to make some noise coming out of it. Our best intel gives Texas a slight lead, but Georgia and Texas A&M are right on their heels. Owens will visit College Station for the Aggies’ spring game in April. He wants to take a few of his official visits in the summer and save some for big games in the fall. He’s eyeing a late-season decision date as of now.

Owens mentioned the Texas-Alabama game as one he wanted to see for sure, but he noted that he’d likely take an official visit in the summer and return for that game on an unofficial visit.

Sources near Owens have indicated on multiple occasions that he’d like the opportunity to play in his home state if everything lines up for him. That would certainly put Texas and Texas A&M in the pole position for him, but it’s not something that’s etched in stone for him.

Landing Manning would certainly help with Owens. The two were the first of the group to become close with one another and still talk often to this day. Regardless, Texas stands in a strong position with a great opportunity for playing time in the coming year if Bijan Robinson leaves for the NFL.

For Owens, the Longhorns just need to continue with what they’ve been doing.

Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto

One of the most interesting recruitments on the board for the Longhorns surrounds one of the most electric playmakers in the state. Cook became a big name during his freshman year at DeSoto but really blew up as a sophomore. In his junior campaign, Cook recorded 806 yards and cashed in on 19 touchdowns on 38 catches. A touchdown to reception ratio of 1/2 is almost unheard of at the high school level and illustrates how much of an offensive threat Cook is.

Texas seemed to have an early lead in this recruitment, but several schools have been able to establish footing in the race. Alabama has been a long-time factor while Texas A&M is the team generating the most steam at the moment. Cook also mentioned taking trips to Michigan and Ohio State and a recent trip to LSU has the Tigers in the conversation.

Brennan Marion has been able to do a good job of establishing a connection with Cook since taking over, and his track record of development should help along with Sark’s receiver-friendly offense. Cook is competing at the Texas Relays this weekend and planning to make a visit while in town. He’s also tentatively scheduled for a return trip on April 2.

Johntay Cook (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Texas A&M shouldn’t be underestimated. Cook is extremely close with Evan Stewart, and the former five-star has been sending him clips of practice. Cook feels that if the Aggies can get the ball to Stewart, he can play a similar role in the offense. His relationship with Dameyune Craig is also extremely strong.

While Cook will look into all of his options, this feels like a Lone Star showdown between former and future on-field rivals. If Texas A&M can show the aptitude for throwing the ball and developing wide receivers, they have a fantastic shot to land him.

COMMENTS
One thing in my head is the number of ties Texas has to this recruitment. Marion has been huge early on, but Chris Gilbert grew up with Cook’s father and the Longhorns are making it clear to him about how big of a priority he is.

Another factor could be which way the Aggies decide to go at the quarterback position. The defection of Holstein didn’t hurt anything with Cook as the two were never really close. Like Owens, Cook developed a relationship with Manning last summer after meeting him on a visit to Texas. Aside from the group of prospects, Texas needs players like Cook at the receiver position to invigorate the playmaking ability of the wide receiver room.

Thanks for the article. It is good to finally have some recruiting news.

• Hook 'Em 1

Georgia 247 on Arch

Spoiler

Georgia did nothing to hurt its chances this weekend for sure. I think this Texas visit is important coming up to him as well. I know people want predictions, but I don’t think they are ready for this decision at this time either. I am confident and continue to be that Georgia has as good a chance as anyone does with this five-star QB. I don’t think this decision gets into July. I am told they want to be able to focus on his senior season and enjoy a little bit of family time this summer. Arch will be an early enrollee wherever he choses. Every visit is important now, and this weekend was a good one with his family in Athens I am told.

Georgia on3 on Arch

Spoiler

I’m told this was another successful visit for the Bulldogs. Additionally, it sounds like no matter which way you slice it, Georgia is a top two option, meaning they are firmly in the thick of this. Is Bama one? Is Texas in the mix? I think it’s true both are still factors, but I don’t know that I’d put both ahead of the Dawgs right now. Again, this is one of those where I’ve encouraged you believe half of what you read and little of what you see. There’s been no more media saavy recruitment in my eight years doing this and rightfully so given the family we’re talking about. Dawgs appear to be holding strong, however.

Edited by Ill
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

I hate hearing Jett mentioned. Also, citing Cook’s heart as a reason to be confident in his play at safety doesn’t make me feel good. You need more than heart to cover. 

Pre Bobby Brown. He really fucked her up. 

oh boy..if you really think Bobby messed her up.....

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Ill said:

Georgia 247 on Arch

Reveal hidden contents

Georgia did nothing to hurt its chances this weekend for sure. I think this Texas visit is important coming up to him as well. I know people want predictions, but I don’t think they are ready for this decision at this time either. I am confident and continue to be that Georgia has as good a chance as anyone does with this five-star QB. I don’t think this decision gets into July. I am told they want to be able to focus on his senior season and enjoy a little bit of family time this summer. Arch will be an early enrollee wherever he choses. Every visit is important now, and this weekend was a good one with his family in Athens I am told.

He's a fucking LONGHORN

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

If that's from Rusty on Georgia 247, then his info is likely coming straight from the UGA coaching staff, fwiw

Meh, nothing in that article makes me concerned. If anything it highlights how disconnected they are from the outside threats. They may be assuming a little too much due to coming off of the MNC. 

On 3/20/2022 at 7:06 AM, Codaxx said:

I feel stupid after reading this.  Guys like Ewers won't be here for 4 years.  Good or bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT Scoop

Spoiler

Make sure and check out the educated guess on Texas’ pre-spring defensive depth chart. We’ll have the offense up later this afternoon. When we say educated guess, that means it is strongly influenced by sourcing.

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo (Texas) - 2023: The top running back in Texas participated in the Pylon 7v7 tournament in Mansfield over the weekend. Playing inside receiver, the playmaking skills are evident even at the flag football level. Coming off a 10.7 100m last week, the 6-foot, 200-pound four-star shows the versatility that makes him one of the most coveted prospects in the 2023 cycle.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, and USC appear to have the attention of Owens. He recently visited Georgia and enjoyed the experience, but it doesn't appear the Bulldogs are a major threat. He may catch the Aggies’ spring game in late April. Nick Saban FaceTimes with Owens regularly, so Bama is certainly pushing. Owens wants to reschedule his visit to Southern Cal at some point.

For now he’s set to see Austin twice over the next two weekends and says he’s eager to return.

His relationship with running backs coach Tashard Choice continues to get stronger. Other relationships help as well. He’s in a group text with Arch Manning, Johntay Cook, and Anthony Hill. Now he'll join Manning and Cook on the Forty Acres this Saturday.

An under-discussed aspect of this class has been Texas’ ability to build consensus between Manning, Cook, and Owens dating back a year. That took foresight and could pay off in a major way.

Javin Simpkins, RB, Miami (Fla.) Norland - 2023: Texas and the south Florida product continue to build on a solid relationship in which Simpkins has known Choice for the majority of his recruitment.

Simpkins recently posted on social media that he was in an automobile accident. After catching up with Inside Texas, he appears to have avoided injury in the car crash, something his doctors called simply a miracle. Simpkins was named RB MVP at the Rivals camp almost two weeks ago, and if he’s the complement to Owens in the 2023 cycle Choice deserves a medal.

Texas, Florida State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Louisville, and Arkansas are the schools that stand out the most for the 5-foot-8, 175-pound tailback. Getting to Austin is a must for Simpkins, and he's looking at a summer visit.

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas) - 2023: Pound for pound, one of the nation's top prospects, the four-star’s ability was on display Saturday in Mansfield. Covering Cook is often an exercise in futility as most defensive backs fall short. After catching touchdowns from Justin Northwest QB Jake Strong at Pylon 7-on-7, Inside Texas was able to catch up with the popular prospect.

He recently visited LSU and enjoyed it. He also checked out College Station for A&M's junior day in January. He'll be back in Austin on 3/26 and 4/2 to visit the Longhorns. He then returns to A&M on April 9, and tells IT he will see Ohio State later that month. Texas' top priority at the position says he stays in contact with Manning, and is eager to hang with On3's No. 1 overall 2023 prospect this Saturday in Austin.

After notching 1.496 yards receiving and 29 touchdowns on 81 catches in his sophomore and junior seasons, Cook puts in work on the track. He'll be competing in the Nike Invitational on April 1st in Desoto where he runs the 4x100 and 4x200 for the Eagles.

Jayden Wayne, DL, Tacoma (Wash.) Lincoln - 2023: The 6-foot-5, 240-pound four-star was in Mansfield over the weekend playing in the Pylon 7v7 tournament. Texas had been on the On3 Consensus' No. 26 overall prospect since his sophomore year, but after catching up with the Pacific Northwest defender, it appears both parties might've moved on. Wayne tripped to Austin last summer after receiving a UT offer in early May 2021. He enjoyed Austin and the atmosphere, but after strong surges from Oregon and Miami, the Horns and Wayne seem to be cooling on each other.

O-LINE RECRUITING NOTES

When it comes to O-line recruiting Kyle Flood has good leverage. That buys him time to work on the top of the big board without feeling the need to reach early. Now is the time to make in-roads with the top prospects, and it appears Flood is poised to do so.

Inside Texas expects Harris Sewell on campus this Saturday for the star-studded affair. From our vantage he appears to be the top interior line target on the board. While he’s not as closely associated with Manning as Cook and Owens, he has been in contact with the top quarterback prospect. IT has reported the Texas staff has made up some ground in this recruitment but there’s still a ways to go. This is a big weekend in this recruitment.

Another top interior prospect who may make it in is TJ Shanahan. While you wonder who is more dazed and confused, Shanahan in his profile pic or @Justin Wells for posting it, we’ll add Texas has a lot of ground to make up in this recruitment. If he doesn’t make it in soon it might be time to assume he’s going out-of-state. You’ll recall he’s originally from Florida.

As mentioned in that link regarding Flood, there are a handful of two-way lineman in the class. One of the best is Markis Deal. Deal was hoping to make it in this weekend but as of this morning won’t be able to.

Perhaps the top tackle prospect on the board is Zalance Heard from Monroe, La. IT has him tentatively scheduled to visit April 2, which will be another star-studded weekend. The reason he’s tentative is solely due to transportation concerns. His interest in UT is genuine, but everyone is watching to see if Alabama or LSU get more involved. Texas has a chance to steal On3’s No. 15 player in the nation.

More on Owens

Spoiler

Rueben Owens is ready to see Austin again. The El Campo (Texas) running back has been a frequent visitor on the Forty Acres since his recruitment began. 

The former Texas pledge is set to return to Texas on Saturday, with a few of his friends, namely Arch Manning and Johntay Cook. Those three along with Anthony Hill stay in touch during this recruiting process. 

For the 6-foot, 200-pound four-star, his connection to the Longhorns staff continues to thrive. 

“It’s really good,” said Owens. “Coach (Tashard) Choice, I was talking with him when he was at Georgia Tech. That’s like the only reason I went to Georgia Tech because Coach Choice was there. He brings a lot of energy. Him and Texas just made it better.”

His contact with the nation’s top passer, four-star receiver, and elite linebacker remains strong as well. 

“Arch (Manning) is a real cool guy,” Owens said. “We talk a lot. He’s funny, man. Everybody thinks since he’s so big, he’s got a big head. He’s a very humble kid. He’s real nice. I talk with Arch, Johntay, Anthony Hill… it’s like us four, we’re real tight. We talk a lot.”

Texas A&M is still in the hunt, and he could be attending the Aggies spring game next month as well. 

“They’ve been recruiting me since I was a freshman,” Owens said. “There’s much love for them. Coach (Tommie) Robinson, when he was at LSU, I was talking with him. I want to see how they build up the incoming freshman. The ones that went early, I want to see how they progressed and got better and bigger.”
Alabama is still Alabama and that keeps Owens’ attention. 

“Bama is real cool,” said Owens. “I talk with Coach Saban a lot. He’s a pretty straightforward guy. He’s so serious all the time. He wants me to come up there and become a star. He told me they don’t plan on me waiting to play. If I come out there and perform like I’m supposed to, there’s a chance of me playing as a freshman.”

One school he still wants to see is USC. He had a good relationship with the previous OU staff that now resides in Southern Cal. 

“Coach (Lincoln) Riley is cool. Oklahoma was my first visit ever. He welcomed me over there. He offered me and we talked ever since.”

Last season, Rueben Owens was named The MaxPreps 2021 National Junior of the Year. He notched 2,989 rushing yards with 46 touchdowns, plus 252 receiving yards and two scores.

Owens ranks as the No. 27 prospect and No. 2 running back nationally in the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He ranks as the No. 46 prospect and No. 2 running back in the On300. Owens has an NIL Valuation of $30K. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Teryor said:

Stampede

Hide contents

narrator: It didn't make a difference that they showed 0 aptitude for throwing or developing

• Rage+1 1