Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

https://www.on3.com/news/quarterback-dominoes-nico-iamaleavas-commitment-causes-ripple-effect/

Spoiler

The quarterback dominoes in the Class of 2023 are falling into place.

On Monday, On3 Consensus five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava committed to Tennessee. It’s a decision that causes ripples across the country that will impact many of the top programs in college football.

In recruiting, no position is more interconnected than quarterback. Once one quarterback picks a school, it often creates a domino effect that impacts program after program. And that’s going to be especially true now Iamaleava is off the board and heading to the Vols instead Alabama, Oregon and Georgia, according to On3’s Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons.

“This is huge for Tennessee and Josh Heupel, obviously,” Simmons said. “I think Nico will have a huge impact on this class, not just quarterbacks but all the positions and for this Tennessee recruiting class. But as far as impacting the country at the quarterback spot, it’s crazy.

“A lot of these guys and the schools are intertwined together. One affects the other. What does this mean for Alabama and Georgia? What about Oregon, who was thought to be No. 2? Miami as well. I think Nico will have a huge domino effect for so many schools. It’s unlike anything that we’ve seen at quarterback in the past few classes.”

Arch Manning still biggest recruiting domino
Even with the decision from Iamaleava, the biggest target at the quarterback position is still on the board. Five-Star Plus+ Arch Manning of New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman is still very much in play for Alabama and Georgia.

Alabama and Texas are in a good position for Manning, according to the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine. But Georgia made some headway this past weekend with a solid unofficial visit, Simmons said. Yet, additional upcoming spring visits could dictate where Manning’s recruitment eventually heads.

And it’ll also likely dictate what happens with other quarterbacks in the class, especially a guy like No. 5 signal-caller Christopher Vizzina of Birmingham (Ala.) Briarwood Christian.

“Obviously Arch is still that guy,” Simmons said. “But what about Christopher Vizzina? Does he become a hotter commodity for those guys? Does Bama offer a kid like that? He grew up a huge Bama fan.

“I think Nico’s decision set this all into motion and will have a big effect in the coming months with how schools maybe reset the top of their board with maybe who is No. 2 and No. 3 for them coming up in the spring and the summer.”

Eli Holstein also impacted by falling QB dominoes
On3 national recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman said another quarterback that’s greatly impacted by Iamaleava’s decision is On3 Consensus four-star Eli Holstein out of Zachary (La.) High School.

Holstein made national news three days ago when he backed off his longtime commitment to Texas A&M. Spiegelman believes Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, LSU and even Oregon are potential landing spots for Holstein.

“Nico’s decision now means that somebody like Oregon now has another option to look at with Holstein,” Spiegelman said. “Oregon is one of the handful of teams in the mix. Alabama has quite a few options behind Nico. I don’t think Nico was their top choice. I think certainly their top choices are still out there in Manning and Holstein.

“I have a feeling they’re going to get one quarterback from Louisiana in this cycle. No matter what the last name is, they’re going to be from The Boot.”

Dante Moore could be next domino to fall
Simmons believes On3 Consensus five-star quarterback Dante Moore out of Detroit Martin Luther King could be next to commit.

“The buzz on Moore is this one could be over sooner than later,” Simmons said. “The state champion out of Detroit King has not come out and said that, but one source said he is getting ‘worn down’ by the recruiting process and could commit by mid-spring. If he committed today, Notre Dame seems to be in the driver’s seat.”

And even Moore’s decision could create another round of falling quarterback dominoes.

“If something were to change with Moore and Notre Dame, Vizzina probably becomes their No. 1 target,” Simmons said. “Right now, he’s probably No. 2 for Notre Dame. We know he’s the clear-cut No. 1 for Clemson. But where is he at for Georgia? Could Bama jump in there if they don’t start feeling well about Eli or Arch? Ohio State just offered.

“There’s just a lot of moving pieces that really involve the same eight to 10 schools with these top-five to top-10 quarterbacks. It’s going to create a wild few weeks with all the dominoes falling all over the place.”

Not much here that is groundbreaking, but it's interesting what will happen with Christopher Vizzina , with Bama making the most sense, but they don't appear to like him as much as Clemson does.

9 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

https://www.on3.com/news/quarterback-dominoes-nico-iamaleavas-commitment-causes-ripple-effect/

Hide contents

The quarterback dominoes in the Class of 2023 are falling into place.

On Monday, On3 Consensus five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava committed to Tennessee. It’s a decision that causes ripples across the country that will impact many of the top programs in college football.

In recruiting, no position is more interconnected than quarterback. Once one quarterback picks a school, it often creates a domino effect that impacts program after program. And that’s going to be especially true now Iamaleava is off the board and heading to the Vols instead Alabama, Oregon and Georgia, according to On3’s Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons.

“This is huge for Tennessee and Josh Heupel, obviously,” Simmons said. “I think Nico will have a huge impact on this class, not just quarterbacks but all the positions and for this Tennessee recruiting class. But as far as impacting the country at the quarterback spot, it’s crazy.

“A lot of these guys and the schools are intertwined together. One affects the other. What does this mean for Alabama and Georgia? What about Oregon, who was thought to be No. 2? Miami as well. I think Nico will have a huge domino effect for so many schools. It’s unlike anything that we’ve seen at quarterback in the past few classes.”

Arch Manning still biggest recruiting domino
Even with the decision from Iamaleava, the biggest target at the quarterback position is still on the board. Five-Star Plus+ Arch Manning of New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman is still very much in play for Alabama and Georgia.

Alabama and Texas are in a good position for Manning, according to the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine. But Georgia made some headway this past weekend with a solid unofficial visit, Simmons said. Yet, additional upcoming spring visits could dictate where Manning’s recruitment eventually heads.

And it’ll also likely dictate what happens with other quarterbacks in the class, especially a guy like No. 5 signal-caller Christopher Vizzina of Birmingham (Ala.) Briarwood Christian.

“Obviously Arch is still that guy,” Simmons said. “But what about Christopher Vizzina? Does he become a hotter commodity for those guys? Does Bama offer a kid like that? He grew up a huge Bama fan.

“I think Nico’s decision set this all into motion and will have a big effect in the coming months with how schools maybe reset the top of their board with maybe who is No. 2 and No. 3 for them coming up in the spring and the summer.”

Eli Holstein also impacted by falling QB dominoes
On3 national recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman said another quarterback that’s greatly impacted by Iamaleava’s decision is On3 Consensus four-star Eli Holstein out of Zachary (La.) High School.

Holstein made national news three days ago when he backed off his longtime commitment to Texas A&M. Spiegelman believes Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, LSU and even Oregon are potential landing spots for Holstein.

“Nico’s decision now means that somebody like Oregon now has another option to look at with Holstein,” Spiegelman said. “Oregon is one of the handful of teams in the mix. Alabama has quite a few options behind Nico. I don’t think Nico was their top choice. I think certainly their top choices are still out there in Manning and Holstein.

“I have a feeling they’re going to get one quarterback from Louisiana in this cycle. No matter what the last name is, they’re going to be from The Boot.”

Dante Moore could be next domino to fall
Simmons believes On3 Consensus five-star quarterback Dante Moore out of Detroit Martin Luther King could be next to commit.

“The buzz on Moore is this one could be over sooner than later,” Simmons said. “The state champion out of Detroit King has not come out and said that, but one source said he is getting ‘worn down’ by the recruiting process and could commit by mid-spring. If he committed today, Notre Dame seems to be in the driver’s seat.”

And even Moore’s decision could create another round of falling quarterback dominoes.

“If something were to change with Moore and Notre Dame, Vizzina probably becomes their No. 1 target,” Simmons said. “Right now, he’s probably No. 2 for Notre Dame. We know he’s the clear-cut No. 1 for Clemson. But where is he at for Georgia? Could Bama jump in there if they don’t start feeling well about Eli or Arch? Ohio State just offered.

“There’s just a lot of moving pieces that really involve the same eight to 10 schools with these top-five to top-10 quarterbacks. It’s going to create a wild few weeks with all the dominoes falling all over the place.”

Not much here that is groundbreaking, but it's interesting what will happen with Christopher Vizzina , with Bama making the most sense, but they don't appear to like him as much as Clemson does.

I think BK will bring in Holstein into LSU by the end of summer

11 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think BK will bring in Holstein into LSU by the end of summer

Is Ohio State skipping a QB in this class? They have 7 offers on 247 , but the only one that I think has shown any interest in them is Dylan Lonergan , who probably ends up at Georgia if they don't land Arch.

22 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Rueben Owens

image.thumb.png.8576cdb0b8803722a09348bb3d95b4ac.png

Haven't some places reported that he was going to do back-to-back weekends, but is doing a 7v7 tournament or something the second weekend or am I confusing that with a different recruit?

On 3/22/2022 at 1:50 PM, bejezuz said:

Good.  Maybe someday we'll get to see all these mythical "inside zone" RPOs that both Sark and that asshole head coach we hired for U of H are known for.   

In Herman's case, maybe we'll see them with a RB as the ballcarrier instead of a QB.

Could not ask for better timing for a visit from football royalty. Texas Relays, Dell Match Play, perfect weather.  Only thing that would have made it better was Texas Basketball playing tonight or tomorrow.  All of this on the heels of SXSW - Manning's gotta take notice of the this type of stuff if they are as serious about the Manning footprint as been rumored. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Could not ask for better timing for a visit from football royalty. Texas Relays, Dell Match Play, perfect weather.  Only thing that would have made it better was Texas Basketball playing tonight or tomorrow.  All of this on the heels of SXSW - Manning's gotta take notice of the this type of stuff if they are as serious about the Manning footprint as been rumored. 

UT needs to take them to the Dell Match Play. Missed opportunity if they don't take them.  Also offer an ACC membership for every year Arch is a Horn since he's a huge golfer. 

3 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

UT needs to take them to the Dell Match Play. Missed opportunity if they don't take them.  Also offer an ACC membership for every year Arch is a Horn since he's a huge golfer. 

Boy, nothing will bond him with the other guys in the class like ditching the other activities for a golf tournament.

Maybe take Cooper while Arch is having fun with the guys his age.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Boy, nothing will bond him with the other guys in the class like ditching the other activities for a golf tournament.

Maybe take Cooper while Arch is having fun with the guys his age.

I see that "Dog Man: The Musical" is playing at The Paramount on Sunday. Maybe take the Mannings there to showcase the thriving arts scene in Austin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

I’d bet Arch will be checking out Roundup as well

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wiltfong says David Hicks, Jayvon Thomas, and Markis Deal will be in Austin this weekend.

Current visitor list per IT. Wells directly refuted that Hicks would be visiting, for what it's worth.

Spoiler

MARCH 24th

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple (Texas)

Daylen Austin, DB, Long Beach (Calif.) Long Beach Poly

MARCH 26th

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman. (In Austin Friday at the latest)

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo (Texas)

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (Fla.)

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas)

Jaden Greathouse, WR/ATH, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Braylon James, WR, Del Valle (Texas)

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville - 2025 (Texas Relays)

Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman

Ian Reed, OL, Austin (Texas) Vandegrift

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas)

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Andre Cojoe, OL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview

Harris Sewell, OL, Odessa (Texas) Permian (maybe)
Markis Deal, OL/DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest (Texas relays)

Derion Gullette, LB, Marlin (Texas) (Texas Relays)

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff. (Texas Relays)

Jamaal Shaw, DB, Orange (Texas) West Orange-Stark

Ka’Davion Dotson, DB, Duncanville (Texas) - 2024: (Texas Relays)

Rodrick Pleasant, ATH/CB, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

Micah Bell, CB, Houston (Texas) Kinkaid School (Texas Relays) likely

Micah Tease, CB, Tulsa (OK) Booker T. Washington

Derrick McFall, ATH, Tyler (Texas) Tyler High - (2024) (Texas Relays)

Aeryn Hampton, ATH, Daingerfield (Texas) – TEXAS (2024)

APRIL 2nd

Parker Jenkins, RB, Houston (Texas) Klein Forest

Jalen Brown, WR, Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep

Jonah Wilson, WR, Spring (Texas) Dekaney

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas)

Lafayette Kaiuway, Arlington (Texas) Sam Houston

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas)

Brad Spence, EDGE, Houston (Texas) Klein Forest

My’Keil Gardner, DL, Peoria (Ariz.) Liberty (4/1-4/2)

Dylan Spencer, DL, Houston (Texas) CE King (TEXAS)

Jaren Woods, DL, LaGrange (Texas) LaGrange

Samu Taumanupepe, DL, Humble (Texas) Atascocita

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (Texas) Martin

Bravion Rogers, DB, La Grange (Texas) (maybe)

Dalton Brooks, S, Shiner (Texas) (maybe)

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

Jarrett Turner, ATH, Snellville (Ga.) Shiloh (2025)

Julius Lane, DB/ATH, Montgomery (Ala.) Catholic

Jotavion Pierce, DB/ATH, Montgomery (Ala.) Parks Crossing

APRIL 7th

Prudy Calderon, S, Rice University via Sanb Marcos (Texas)

APRIL 9th

Mikey Matthews, WR, Mission Viejo, (Calif.) 2023 (mid-April)

Tay’Shawn Wilson, DB, Houston (Texas) Mayde Creek

Jamel Johnson, DB, Arlington (Texas) Seguin (TEXAS)

Jordan Matthews, DB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn

APRIL 16th

Roy Thomas Jenkins, QB, Beaumont (Texas) Monsignor Kelly Catholic

APRIL 23rd

Trevor Goosby, OT, Melissa (Texas)

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

DJ Hicks, DL, Allen (Texas)

Avion Carter, DL, Amarillo (Texas) Tascosa

Edited by Big Woodrows
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Tex48 said:

He's on an unofficial visit. Can UT "take" him? I'm not sure what the rules are in regard to paying for things when it's an unofficial, instead of official visit. I'm sure someone knows better than I.