Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I know how it works, you can spare me your “be patient and trust the coaches” lecture.

Cool. You can spare me predicting the ranking of where this class is going to fall in freaking February.

Half the dudes we signed in 2022 weren’t even on the radar at this point a year ago.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Cool. You can spare me predicting the ranking of where this class is going to fall in freaking February.

Half the dudes we signed in 2022 weren’t even on the radar at this point a year ago.

That why I used the word “if”. I was responding to speculation on this board by people who are generally more informed than you.

To put in perspective where we are timeline wise when looking at this point a year ago with the 2022 class:

Finkley- Not offered yet

Xavion Brice- Not offered yet

Zac Swanson- Not offered yet

Cam Williams- Not offered yet

Derrick Brown- Not offered yet

Agbo- Not offered yet

Aaron Bryant- Not offered yet

Austin Jordan- Was an OU lock

Tapp- Was months away from being offered 

Burke- No one knew who he was

Red- Diddo

Connor Robertson- Had just been offered, thought to be going to Stanford 

Kris Ross- Had just been offered by Texas. Wasn’t widely known

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Roach on David Cutcliffe joining the staff. Definitely would help with Manning.

Hide contents

Throughout the winter we heard the name David Cutcliffe quite a bit as a potential analyst to join Steve Sarkisian's staff. The long time quarterback developer and head coach was most recently at Duke but both sides decided to part ways following three straight losing seasons.

A source I spoke with yesterday indicated there was growing buzz in the coaching community that Cutcliffe will eventually end up on the Texas staff as an analyst. While we've known that for a bit, this particular bit of information came from a trustworthy source on the topic.

If Cutcliffe joined the staff, it would add another coach with a wealth of experience to a group that just brought on Gary Patterson to serve in an advisory role. Cutcliffe is known as a fantastic quarterback developer and has a relationship with the Manning family through his work with Peyton and Eli at the college level. It wouldn't hurt in the pursuit of Arch Manning in 2023.

Chip and I are digging further into this, but there seems to be a little bit of momentum as opposed to the rumors we heard a month or so ago.

This would be a nice add even without Arch. With that said, can't tell if it's real of just BS rumor-mongering

On 2/3/2022 at 3:20 PM, closetojumping said:

Stuff to think about for this cycle at this early-ish stage. :

1) People who know their shit on the recruiting front do not like the outlook for Texas with the 2023 class. I mean, UT is starting from way, way behind in a lot of spots.

2) It's a down year in the state of Texas overall.

3) Texas shat itself and then rolled around in it on the field in the most critical year for this group of recruits. 

4) ATM's cadre of money men and coaches decided over a year ago that they were going to make the push to win a national title, hell or waters high. That push will continue for two more cycles and only NIL may interrupt that, barring something otherwise surfacing in a Hugh Freeze-esque manner.

Here's what could stem the circumstances:

A) Bringing the full brunt of the UT alumni base and corporate base to bear on the NIL front. I mean setting a $50k floor for every position and then pressing down fucking hard with bigger bets for the premium roles and positions.

B) Arch Manning.

C) 9-4 or better on the field. This won't hurt, but don't kid yourself regarding the limits of its impact unless Texas wins the conference makes the CFP (LOL).

So basically it's in Arch we trust. Or bust.

• Fuck You 1

If you're the Mannings how do you convince yourself Sark is the guy here at Texas? How do you even assess him without more results from next season? 
Here's a hypothetical- would you guarantee Sark's job for as long as Manning is here if it meant landing the QB and getting a top 5 class around him? 
With the transfer portal there is far less risk, he could commit to any of his top 3 and end up at one of the others within a season or two if things go sideways. I think in the end the fam will let Arch make the call...so the sales pitch to "the Mannings" is less important than we think.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Stampede: 2023 primer and position breakdown

Spoiler

The Stampede: 2023 primer and position breakdown

By Mike Roach

The 2022 class was mostly put to bed on Wednesday.

While there could still be additions made leading up to the season, the No. 5 class in the country is pretty much intact. The staff will now shift focus to 2023 to start putting together the next group of talent needed to win at Texas.

The Longhorns have roughly 140 offers out in 2023 already, and that number will rise in the spring when coaches hit the road for the evaluation period. By comparison, Texas offered 177 prospects in 2022, and it’s likely the 2023 number exceeds that.

Which positions are the biggest in this cycle, who are the key players at each position and what could the numbers look like?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we provide a primer to get you up to speed on the ins and outs of the 2023 cycle.

Ranking positions of need

Texas addressed a lot of options in 2022, and they hope to follow that up in 2023. Looking at the roster and what they added this year, here is where we see the major positions of need.

Linebacker – The high-end talent available to Texas and the need to replenish this spot on the roster has it at the top for us.

Wide Receiver – Playmakers are needed in this offense, and the staff has a talented in-state crop to choose from.

EDGE – The staff has been obsessed with finding pass rushers even after adding a few in 2022. 2023 has a lot of bodies at the position and the cupboard isn’t nearly full at the moment.

Safety – Texas added bodies in 2022, but more turnover at the position and a wealth of options at the high school level will make this one of the most interesting groups in the cycle.

Quarterback – It’s a one man show right now, and this position gets a boost because of the impact it could have in the overall class. You could even argue that the potential impact would push it higher up the list.

Cornerback – Like safety, there is more turnover coming to this room and a host of options in the state for Texas to draw from.

Running Back – Texas needs to continue to keep an eye on building this position post-Bijan Robinson and the targets are plentiful.

Offensive Line – Despite signing a big group in 2022, this position always needs quality talent. It might not be as star-studded as ’22, but there are some solid in-state options.

Defensive Line – After building half the class in the trenches, Texas needs to continue to add talent with a move to the SEC upcoming.

Tight End – Don’t underestimate the importance of adding a difference-maker here, but it’s a smaller position group to fill.

Numbers

Numbers were extremely fluid in 2022, so we don’t have a great handle on ’23. I’d anticipate a smaller group by necessity that ends up much closer to 25 and could possibly go under. That makes it tough with a talented crop of prospects and numbers crunches to factor in, but this staff has been good about juggling those factors and maximizing talent. The Transfer Portal will also be a regular factor as the staff saves spots for potential impact players who can contribute immediately.

Quarterback

It’s no secret that Texas is all in on Arch Manning. The five-star prospect and No. 1 overall player in the nation would be a cornerstone for an elite class if Texas can reel him in. Texas still sits in the top group along with Georgia, Alabama and Ole Miss. LSU could re-surface as an option with Brian Kelly in town, but the top group consists of those four schools at the moment.

I’d expect Texas to be all in on this recruitment until they win or are dropped. As far as backup options, there aren’t really any right now. It’s a down year at the quarterback position in state and no other national prospects have emerged. I could honestly see a scenario where Texas passes on the position and fills a hole in the portal or just looks to 2024.

Manning is engrossed in his high school basketball season and not focused on recruiting at the moment. I think he will take visits in the spring to his top schools and maybe a few new contenders with an eye on narrowing things down. I asked a source near Manning when things might narrow down, and was told he truly doesn’t have a timeline right now and isn’t in a rush to get things done.

I’ve heard late March as a potential visit date, and I know he’d like to check out a spring practice and see the team in action.

Running Back

Like Manning, the major focus is on five-star El Campo running back Rueben Owens, and the Longhorns are likely to take a second back to join him in the class. Tre Wisner and Cameron Cook are the only in-state backs with offers at the moment, but that could change during the spring after further evaluation. Javin Simpkins is another prospect to watch as he was previously committed to Tashard Choice.

Make no mistake, Owens is the prize. This offensive class is about acquiring more skill talent than 2022, and they will have to hit due to what will likely be a much smaller class. Owens was previously committed to Texas before re-opening his recruitment.

I expect the elite back to see many schools this spring, but this will likely come down to Georgia, Texas and Texas A&M. Alabama should never be counted out in these scenarios either. Right now, Georgia seems like the only out-of-state school that could pull Owens away from his home state as he’s stated a preference to stay home.

This could likely come down to a head-to-head battle with Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M. The Longhorns have a few factors that could make a difference. One is the opportunity for him to come in and play immediately following the expected departure of Bijan Robinson for the NFL. Tashard Choice is also an x-factor because of his relationship with Owens and several in his camp.

This will be a tough battle for an elite prospect, and the ups and downs should be expected. I’m also fascinated to see who the second back will be in this class, but Choice will have plenty of options to choose from. This will be a great opportunity to see what Tashard Choice can do outside of the state lines.

The race for Owens probably gets a bit easier if Texas lands one of Johntay Cook or Arch Manning.

Wide Receiver

There are a plethora of options here, but the in-state crop has already seen some movement with Ashton Cozart committing to Oklahoma and Ryan Niblett excluding Texas from his top group.

If Marion has his druthers, I believe his class would be filled in state. While Texas wasn’t focused on players to fit specific roles at the position in 2022, I think that will change a bit based on their offer patterns.

In what could be a three or four player group, I think the Longhorns will look to feel each role on the field with a player in this class. At the X position, Texas is looking at physical prospects like Jaden Greathouse, Braylon James and Jonah Wilson.

The H position in the slot will target smaller players who can exploit matchups in space with route running and ability after the catch. Johntay Cook is the main target here and he could actually factor into multiple positions on the field. Like Cook, Jaquaize Pettaway could play in the slot or out wide, but I like him on the outside because of his long speed.

The Z position would be a fit for a vertical threat who could push defenses vertically and create big plays. Pettaway and Cook could also fit there along with Kyle Parker or Braylon James who could play on either side. South Florida prospect Jalen Brown would be another to watch if Texas can make a serious impact on the recruitment following a planned spring visit to Austin.

Brennan Marion will need to make a big splash as Texas needs dynamic playmakers at the position, and this is a good year for it. Players like Carnell Tate, Rico Flore and Jalen Hale seem like long shots that could also fit. Flores seems to have the best chance of landing in Austin out of those three from what we are hearing early.

I’d expect Texas to try and get guys like Parker, Wilson and Greathouse in early before trying to close with Cook and Pettaway who will have national recruitments among the very best programs in the nation. Expect a few head-to-head battles with Texas A&M for some of those guys.

One darkhorse national prospect to watch is Los Alamitos (Calif.) wide receiver Deandre Moore. Texas has been re-engaged there under Marion and the former Oklahoma commit tells me he's setting up a visit for the spring.

Tight End

Jeff Banks found a stop-gap player in Jahleel Billingsley from the portal, but they could add some dynamic ability at the position this year. The top target seems to be Lafayette Kaiuway. The massive receiver with an incredible ceiling from Arlington Sam Houston has Texas near the top early following a fall offer, and North Carolina is one of the schools emerging as competition.

Nationally, Walker Lyons and Will Randle would make the most sense right now. Lyons is one of the top players in the country at the position who visited Texas early in the process and will likely return. Lyons is winnable, but it will be a tough fight against schools like Stanford, Alabama, USC and several other big name programs.

Randle would likely come along if Texas lands his teammate Arch Manning. SMU is the other school really pushing for the New Orleans tight end, but an LSU push would be tough for anyone involved. I think the plan is to land Kaiuway and then go after a national prospect to bring in a two-man group and beef up the tight end position at Texas.

Offensive Line

Texas signed its dream class in 2022, and I’ll be interested to see how that alters what they can do in 2023. I don’t expect a seven-man class, but I think four is probably a good number.

2023 has more tackle bodies than interior guys, but I think a lot of those tackles could slide inside if needed. I don’t sense that Texas is really in the mix right now for any highly-ranked out-of-state prospects. There are some big bodies in Texas and the core group emerging consists of Connor Stroh, Jaydon Chatman, Ian Reed, Harris Sewell, Isaiah Robinson, TJ Shanahan and Andre Cojoe. Of that group, I could see Chatman, Stroh, Reed and Robinson as the guys I’d handicap Texas in the best position for right now. Sewell and Shanahan are the two top-ranked prospects, but Shanahan seems to be looking elsewhere more often while Sewell is more wide open.

Flood made an early impact on Stroh, and I think Reed has potential to rise in the rankings. There could be further options emerge during the evaluation period, but I think most of the prospects have been identified barring a rising prospect in the spring.

Defensive Line

Like the offensive line, there are plenty of options here for Bo Davis. Elite in-state options like David Hicks and Jordan Renaud will need some work for Texas to get into a good position, but Avion Carter, Ashton Porter, Jaren Woods and Ansel Nedore are guys Texas is in a good position with early.

Hicks and Renaud are more likely to end up elsewhere right now, and I’ll be interested to see if Texas can truly gain some traction with elite defensive end Jayden Wayne who has a good relationship with Pete Kwiatkowski.

Louisiana prospect Zalance Heard is another prospect Texas has been engaged with while new offer Samu Taumanupepe has incredible size in the middle of the line.

Texas took a big group in 2022, but I’d still expect them to take a minimum of three up front as they continue to build in the trenches. There’s been a lot of focus on EDGE prospects, and this group’s numbers could depend on what they get at that position.

EDGE

We used to combine this position with the defensive line or linebackers, but the modern game calls for its own designation. This position has been a major focus for Texas since the staff arrived in Austin.

There are a ton of options in the state, and a few out-of-state recruitments Texas will try to stay in on and pull off if they can. There are two kinds of prospects here for the staff to sort through. Those like Colton Vasek, Billy Walton and Braylan Shelby are strictly defensive line guys while Brad Spence, Derion Gullette and Carson Dean could be versatile enough to slide inside if needed.

I’ve noticed a preference from the staff to find guys with enough versatility to move inside or rush the passer, and I think they’d like to find a nice mix.

Two national recruitments I expect Texas to throw everything into are Matayo Uiagalelei and Tausili Akana. The Polynesian prospects are among the best at the position and Texas has been able to get both on campus early in the process. I’d like to see each make a return trip for an unofficial and come back for an official to believe they have a chance to land either, but I don’t think either recruitment is a pipe dream at this point.

Linebacker

This needs to be a big area of focus for Texas as the Longhorns only signed one at the position in 2022. The biggest priority is five-star Denton Ryan prospect Anthony Hill. Hill is probably the most important defensive player on the board both for his talent and his influence with other prospects in the state.

S’Maje Burrell is the other prospect Texas is focused on in the state, and the Longhorns have a good jump in this recruitment so far. Several of those EDGE prospects listed above could also be considered for this spot, and Texas will also likely get an official visit from nationally ranked linebacker Liona Lefau.

Leviticus Su’a is another prospect Texas is likely to pursue with Sark’s ties to the west coast, but I expect him to stay in the pacific time zone as of right now.

Hill’s recruitment will be the most high-stakes. Texas has a lot of ties to the Ryan program and they’ve had success there over the last few years. Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Alabama are all schools that have made an early impact on Hill, and Texas is going to have to fight it out to land the composite five-star.

Cornerback

This is a position that’s deep enough in state to come away with a strong class. That crop starts with Javien Toviano, Malik Muhammad, Jayvon Thomas, Micah Bell, Vernon Glover Jr., TayShawn Wilson and Chance Rucker.

Texas commit Jamel Johnson could figure in at corner or safety while La Grange athlete Bravion Rogers is another target to watch.

Toviano is the top prize in the state, and Texas is all in on the Arlington Martin prospect along with Oklahoma, Alabama, Oregon, Penn State, USC and several others. The five-star prospect has elite tools and could be a lock-down option on defense.

Muhammad is another elite cover corner who will likely stretch his recruitment out and take a full complement of visits. Notre Dame emerged early for him, but schools like Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama could all factor in. Texas also needs to make up ground with his teammate Jayvon Thomas who has a tremendous ceiling at the position.

Terry Joseph could also look outside of the Lone Star State for a player like Jordan Matthews who has visited Austin several times. I’m interested to see how much Texas engages with Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra corner Rodrick Pleasant as well. A few weeks ago, Pleasant told me he hadn’t heard from Texas as much and was looking at west coast options like Oregon and USC.

The elite track star is close with Texas quarterback and former Serra star Maalik Murphy. After signing a big class in 2022, there could only be two or three corners in this group.

Safety

Of all the positions Texas has to fill, safety has the most options and is the most intriguing. Depending on where the Longhorns see Jamel Johnson, they’ve already got a commit at the position. Add in-state options like Deldrick Madison, Ryan Yaites, Tyler Turner, Jayven Anderson, Dalton Brooks, Anthony White and Mikal Harrison-Pilot to the list of targets.

Nationally, Texas is in on Louisiana prospect Derek Williams and Florida prospect Makari Vickers. Rodney Gallagher is a prospect Brennan Marion has been recruiting since Pitt, and he plans to make a visit this summer if he can figure out the logistics. Safety is one of the biggest needs in the class, and Blake Gideon has a strong group to choose from.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gerry Hamilton: Texas Longhorns recruiting: Every 2023 in-state offer on offense

The Texas Longhorns staff continues to evaluate the 2023 class in the state of Texas and beyond. Steve Sarkisian and staff are taking a patient approach with the 2023 class, just as they did with the 2022 cycle. When looking at the Texas Longhorns offers in the 2023 class, realize a couple of very important things. One, there is not a quarterback listed. On3 Consensus 5-star Arch Manning is the quarterback target. Two, and most important, always remember all offers are not the same. And that is especially the case early in cycles.

Running back

Rueben Owens, El Campo
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 24
Texas or Texas A&M will very likely sign Owens despite national visits.

Cameron Cook, Round Rock Stony Point
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 252
Mom is “UT ride or die”

Wide receiver

Jaquaize Pettaway, Langham Creek
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 34
If Alabama doesn’t offer, Texas has a legit shot. LSU, Texas A&M and Oklahoma do as well.

Jalen Hale, Longview
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 47
Texas is now in the picture with Brennan Marion chipping away.

Johntay Cook II, DeSoto
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 54
This one is headed for a Texas A&M vs. Texas final with national out of state programs also in the mix.

Ryan Niblett, Aldine Eisenhower
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 96
Nick Saban has made Niblett a priority. Texas A&M is as well. LSU doing the same would make this an interesting battle. Texas on the outside looking in, currently.

Ashton Cozart, Flower Mound Marcus
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 116
*Oklahoma Sooners commitment

Jonah Wilson, Dekaney
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 213
Texas offered after watching Wilson play basketball in January. Steve Sarkisian and Brennan Marion are all in here.

Kyle Parker, Lucas Lovejoy
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 460
Texas is in a solid position. LSU is the offer that would shake things up against the Longhorns.

Braylon James, Del Valle
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 111
Made the quick drive for an unofficial visit at the end of January.

Tight end

Jaden Greathouse, TE/WR, Austin Westlake
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 123
Texas remains in a quality position on the versatile pass catcher.

Lafayette Kaiuway, Arlington Sam Houston
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 376
Texas is very much in the hunt here.

Offensive line

Harris Sewell, IOL, Odessa Permian
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 69
All the top regional powers are fighting on this recruitment. Kyle Flood will recruit Sewell through the whistle.

T.J. Shanahan, IOL, Austin Westlake
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 97
If Alabama and Georgia push hard, that will make it tough on Texas. Texas Tech is not currently considered a strong factor.

Jaydon Chatman OT/IOL, Killeen Harker Heights
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 152
Texas is in the mix, but the battle will be a big one with Alabama entering the picture. Oklahoma and Baylor are strong as well.

Isaiah Robinson, OT, Arlington Lamar
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 208
The Longhorns are in a solid position with Robinson.

Ian Reed, IOL/OT, Austin Vandegrift
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 330
Texas is in a good spot, but Reed plans to go see Stanford and California. Midwest powers could upset the Longhorns here.

Colton Thomasson, OT, Smithson Valley
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 385
*Texas A&M Aggies commit. Texas has moved on as Thomasson said he is 100% committed.

Andre Cojoe, IOL, Mansfield Timberview
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 459
Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood has been consistent in recruiting Cojoe for months.

Connor Stroh, OT/IOL, Frisco Wakeland
On3 Consensus ranking: N/A
Make no mistake, Texas covets Stroh.

• Hook 'Em 2

On3 on Rueben Owens

Spoiler

Rueben Owens is among the nation’s most coveted recruits. That includes in-state as well as coast to coast.

The nation’s No. 1 running back, according to the On3 Consensus, recently returned to Georgia to give another look to the national champions. He met one-on-one with head coach Kirby Smart and noted that the push from the Bulldogs has been consistent from the jump.

“It was nice. It was good to get back up there again,” Owens told On3. “Everything went good. They showed me more love. I mean, from the time I was a sophomore to this year, they’ve really shown me that they wanted me. Coach Smart met with me and told me I could be a premium part of the organization and how I could get to the league through ‘RBU.’

“I’ve been messing with Georgia for a while. I really like Coach (Dell) McGee. I feel like he’s one of the best coaches in the game and it was good to talk with them.”

Lincoln Riley, USC reoffer Owens
Oklahoma was an early offer to the El Campo (Texas) four-star, who also had a strong interest in USC. Soon after Riley got settled in Los Angeles, the Trojans reaffirmed their offer to Owens.

USC is a team firmly in the mix.

“Coach Riley has been recruiting me since I was a freshman and he was at Oklahoma, so when he went to USC and re-offered, that’s love right there,” Owens said. “They’re gonna be one of my top schools and USC — it’s in Cali; it’s a vibe out there and a lot of NIL potential.

“They used to be ‘RBU.’ Lincoln Riley is an offensive genius. He knows so much about offense, how to get the running backs involved, involved out of the backfield throwing it or running it, and that’s a big thing for me.”

Owens is coveted in Texas
Owens is a top priority for both of the in-state heavyweights.

Texas held a commitment from this unicorn at one stage. Steve Sarkisian has continued to keep the Horns a strong contender.

“I talk to Texas a lot and they’ve been recruiting me since my freshman year and I was once committed to them,” he started. “Ever since then, it’s only been up. I feel like I’m a Texas kid, so I’ve gotten more of a push.

“They tell me I can be the man of the city. Austin doesn’t have any pro sports teams; it’s just Texas and the Texas football team. They’re telling me I can be the man and I can run things over there.”

After signing the nation’s best class in the last cycle, Texas A&M is angling to make a splash in 2023, too. Owens would represent a massive in-state gets for Jimbo Fisher.

“There’s a lot of A&M people here in El Campo,” Owens said. “They signed a very good 2022 class and if the 2023 class can do that again then A&M is gonna win a natty.”

“I’ve got a great relationship with Coach Fisher and Coach T-Rob (Tommie Robinson),” he added. “Coach Fisher is a nice guy and he’s pretty funny, too, and straightforward.”

Owens doesn’t have an exact timetable for a decision but will be a mid-year enrollee.

Owens is the nation’s No. 24-ranked player, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

On3 on Will Randle

Spoiler

There has been a parade of coaches flowing in and around Uptown to see the talent at Isidore Newman. Tight end Will Randle has added even more offers to his collection after a busy January.

In the process, a handful of SEC teams have captured Randle’s attention.

LSU was an early offer for the New Orleans native and Randle made several visits up to Baton Rouge for games in Tiger Stadium. The new coaching regime reaffirmed its offer to the Bayou State’s top tight end last month.

“The fact that LSU did that was great,” Newman coach Nelson Stewart told On3. “The first thing they did was reaffirm the offer. They need tight ends. They want to do a lot of 12-personnel.”

Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding and head coach Nick Saban extended an offer to the 6-foot-4, 220-pound pass-catcher in January. Randle is a Crimson Tide legacy and the interest is reciprocal.

“That offer was huge for him,” Stewart said. “His parents went there. Saban talked more about Will than anything else.”

Additionally, Randle camped and earned an offer from Texas last summer. The Longhorns’ coaching staff has maintained a consistent presence in his recruitment.

“He has a great relationship with Coach Jeff Banks over there and also AJ (Milwee),” Stewart noted. “He’s just had a great time in his recruitment with them.”

Kentucky offered Randle and Michigan is considering following suit.

Randle is the No. 27-ranked tight end in the country, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If you are behind on in-state players, there's almost no way you'd otherwise be ahead on OOS players. None of it relates to the staff not putting in work, to be clear. Texas just isn't an "it" program right now because they're not winning and they're not throwing ungodly amounts of money at guys in lieu of the winning.

This is all fine and does nothing to invalidate concerns anyone has towards this upcoming class. I hope that Texas clutches up on a wave of high quality players that currently aren't looking like viable targets as well. 

If Texas gets Cutcliffe on board, Manning commits shortly after that and the class trajectory looks fucking awesome immediately. 

Gotcha. Was just wondering since 2019 it seemed like Jimbo was throwing bags of cash around and we grabbed some kids out of state to stem the bleeding. But we are even more removed from success since then.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If you are behind on in-state players, there's almost no way you'd otherwise be ahead on OOS players. None of it relates to the staff not putting in work, to be clear. Texas just isn't an "it" program right now because they're not winning and they're not throwing ungodly amounts of money at guys in lieu of the winning.

This is all fine and does nothing to invalidate concerns anyone has towards this upcoming class. I hope that Texas clutches up on a wave of high quality players that currently aren't looking like viable targets as well. 

If Texas gets Cutcliffe on board, Manning commits shortly after that and the class trajectory looks fucking awesome immediately. 

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hank South (Staff, Bama 247) had a very early prediction for the Bama 2023 class.  Here's his QB section.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.aa53438738f52f2ee71c2d08797d872f.png

Does he have Pettaway as one of the class's WRs? Seems like the 9.95ers have characterized him as a auto-commit if he gets an Bama offer, toss up if he doesn't. 

24 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

Does he have Pettaway as one of the class's WRs? Seems like the 9.95ers have characterized him as a auto-commit if he gets an Bama offer, toss up if he doesn't. 

Nope.  It has Ryan Niblett, and this guy, though.  

10 Reasons Why John Travolta is Too Much to Handle | The Companion |  uatrav.com

Here's the article.

Spoiler

Predicting Alabama's 2023 signing class ... in February
HANK SOUTH

It's only February and Alabama has only one commitment in the class of 2023. So ... what better time than now to do a mock 2023 signing class. Surely it'll be 100 percent accurate, right? 

Here, BamaOnLine takes a crack at predicting who will finish in the class of 2023 for Nick Saban and staff, more for fun than anything considering Alabama's board is going to shuffle over the coming months, new offers will be extended, targets will change, and so on. Recruiting is, after all, fluid. 

But, we're all about having fun so why not? 

For this projection we included 23 prospects, giving UA leeway for potential Transfer Portal additions come next offseason, which is safe to assume will be made in this Transfer Portal Era. 

Enjoy! 

Alabama QB target Nico Iamaleava. (Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

QB — Nico Iamaleava, 5-star QB, Downey (Calif.) Warren

The quarterback position will be a hot topic in the class of 2023, with some high-profile names considering the Crimson Tide. Much of the talk has centered around Arch Manning and his interest level in Alabama, and for good reason. But for this projection we’re going with five-star signal caller Nico Iamaleava out of Downey (Calif.) Warren. The nation’s No. 16 overall prospect, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings, has connected with the UA staff, including Nick Saban, and has taken two trips to Tuscaloosa already. With Bryce Young likely entering his name into the NFL Draft pool next spring, the Tide will be left with just two scholarship quarterbacks, making 2023 a big cycle at the position. Iamaleava would fill that need and then some with what he brings to the table. Other schools in play include Oregon, Miami, Tennessee, and others.

RB — Richard Young, 5-star RB, Lehigh Acres (Fla.) Lehigh Senior
RB — Cedric Baxter Jr., 4-star RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

A position Alabama rarely — if ever — misses at, we’re projecting the No. 1 ball carrier in the country in Young and Baxter, two Florida natives, in Alabama’s class. Young, who says the Tide was a dream school growing up, spent last weekend in Tuscaloosa, and also visited for camp last summer. He’s raved about UA in the past and is prime candidate to watch at the position. Baxter, a former teammate of UA wide receiver Christian Leary, is one that UA may be playing from behind for at the moment, but could make a big surge for in the coming months. Leary, of course, wasn’t even offered by Bama yet at this point ahead of his senior year. We’ll really lean on the projection term with this one, as Florida State, Florida, Clemson, USC, and others are strongly in play as it stands.

WR — Ryan Niblett, 4-star WR, Houston (Texas) Aldine Eisenhower
WR — Aidan Mizell, WR, Orlando (Fla.) Boone

Alabama signed the best wide receivers class in 2021, then one-upped itself in 2022 with the class of pass catchers it signed this past cycle. Could 2023 be a quiet year at the position? Maybe lesser in quantity, but not quality. Both Mizell and Niblett are recent offers, and both have exactly what the Tide is looking for in its wide receivers speed. Mizell, a Florida legacy, has a growing offer list that includes the Gators, Alabama and Georiga, among others. Niblett recently put out a top seven that excluded home state Texas. Could that signal that the Houston area standout has a desire to leave home for college? It’s possible. He’ll be on campus in Tuscaloosa March 5.

Walker Lyons
Alabama TE target Walker Lyons. (Photo: Brandon Huffman, 247Sports)

TE — Walker Lyons, 4-star TE, Folsom (Calif.)

The last time the Tide signed a Folsom (Calif.) product, Jonah Williams went on to start as a true freshman before getting drafted by the Cincinatti Bengals in the first round. Now he’s getting ready to play in the Super Bowl this weekend. Worked out pretty well, no? Lyons, a top tier tight end prospect, has heavy interest in Alabama after visiting campus for the LSU game last November and maintaining heavy contact with the UA staff. Ole Miss is trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for the 6-foot-4, 230-pounder as things stand. The Tide signed three tight ends in 2022, perhaps paving the way for a smaller class at the position in 2023.

OL — Kadyn Proctor, 5-star OT, Des Moines (Iowa) Southeast Polk
OL — Olaus Alinen, 4-star OT, Windsor (Conn.) The Loomis Chaffee School
OL — RyQueze McElderry, 3-star IOL, Anniston (Ala.) — Georgia commit
OL — Wilkin Formby, OT, Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge

Bama only signed three offensive linemen in 2022, so you can expect the staff to works towards beefing that number up in 2023. UA offered the nation’s No. 1 offensive tackle in Proctor last year before getting him on campus in the summer. Bama was up in Iowa last month to evaluate the five-star tackle, and has a great shot to get one of his five official visit this upcoming fall. Alinen, a native of Finland, already has named UA his leader compared to a number of other Power Five offers. Alinen camped in Tuscaloosa last summer and returned to campus in the fall for a visit. McElderry is committed to UGA, but that’s not keeping Saban and staff from continuing to pursue the in-state talent. Fellow in-stater Wilkin Formby, a UA legacy, lives five minutes from Bryant Denny Stadium. It’s hard to envision him not ending up in this class after earning an offer from the staff last month.

Alabama DL target Peter Woods. (Photo: Courtesy of Peter Woods )

DL — Peter Woods, 5-star DL, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson
DL — James Smith, 5-star DL, Montgomery (Ala.) Carver
DL — Kelby Collins, 4-star DL, Gardendale (Ala.)
DL — Tomarrion Parker, 4-star DL, Phenix City (Ala.) Central
DL — Hunter Osborne, 4-star DL, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

This is where the state of Alabama just starts showing off. We’ve long talked about the amount of talent the Yellowhammer State has in 2023, and this is where it starts — the defensive line. Woods has a top six, but if you didn’t know much about his recruitment, his actions would align more with those of an Alabama commit than someone else. The five-star defensive lineman is doing his due diligence, but it’s clear Alabama has positioned itself strongly for the Thompson standout. Another five-star defensive lineman — James Smith — has kept a low profile on the recruiting trail. Alabama and Georiga have been duking it out of late. While it may be too close to call for a Crystal Ball pick, it’s not too close to call for a mock class projection. Collins has gone on and on about how his relationships at UA set the Tide apart from other schools. Could that culminate in a commitment? It’s possible. Georiga had some buzz for Parker after a visit last month, but Alabama potentially turned the tide in its favor the next week when it hosted Parker and his family. Osborne landed the coveted Bama offer last month after growing up a UA fan. He’s got over three dozen offers to his name and is taking his time, but you can safely assume Bama sits high on his list.

LB — Matayo Uiagalelei, 5-star edge, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
LB — Qua Russaw, 4-star edge, Montgomery (Ala.) Carver
LB — Yhonzae Pierre, 4-star edge, Eufaula (Ala.)

Sticking within state lines (for the most part), Alabama is in prime position to land two edge rushers in Russaw and Pierre from Carver and Eufaula, respectively. Russaw, a close friend of recent UA signee Khurtiss Perry, was on campus last month, and got a closer look at the program. Auburn and Georiga are among the other schools in play. UA has climbed the list for Pierre over the last few weeks. Nick Saban was in to see him in January and he’ll be back on campus in March. Uiagalelei, the brother of Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei, is the No. 1 edge rusher in the country. If you’ve seen his dad on social media, you’d know how big a fan of Nick Saban he is. That could help in the pursuit of the talented 6-foot-4, 255-pounder.

Alabama DB target Makari Vickers. (Photo: Twitter: @MBegreat)

DB — Elliot Washington II, 4-star S, Venice (Fla.) — Alabama commit
DB — Tony Mitchell, 5-star CB, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson
DB — Jahlil Hurley, 5-star CB, Florence (Ala.)
DB — Makari Vickers, 4-star S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic
DB — Damari Brown, 3-star CB, Fort Lauderdale (Ala.) St. Thomas Aquinas

The Tide added its first commitment in the cycle a week ago in Washington. He could be joined by some high level talent when all is said and done. Mitchell and Hurley are the two in-state five-star cornerbacks the Tide has the best shot with. Mitchell isn’t making a decision anytime soon, but his Crystal Ball favors UA. Hurley will announce a commitment on Feb. 22 and is trending heavily to the Tide, his public leader. Brown recently landed an offer from Alabama. An American Heritage standout (home of Patrick Surtain II and Earl Little Jr.), Brown has the makeup to potentially be next in line from the South Florida-Alabama pipeline. Last but not least, Vickers, a four-star prospect from Tallahassee, was back in Tuscaloosa the weekend before last with his family, giving the trip high marks. It’s hard to envision any other school trending as much as Alabama is for Vickers.

This projection has Alabama finishing -- as rankings stand right now -- 321.52, which is well in contention for the No. 1 class in the country. Is it enough to break the all-time team ranking record? No, but again, this is where rankings stand now, and this projection takes into account only 23 high school prospects, two of which are currently unranked. Bottom line: Alabama is going to sign a really, really good class in the 2023, that features both top high school talent, and likely Transfer Portal talent when all is said and done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Nope.  It has Ryan Niblett, and this guy, though.  

10 Reasons Why John Travolta is Too Much to Handle | The Companion |  uatrav.com

Here's the article.

Reveal hidden contents

Predicting Alabama's 2023 signing class ... in February
HANK SOUTH

It's only February and Alabama has only one commitment in the class of 2023. So ... what better time than now to do a mock 2023 signing class. Surely it'll be 100 percent accurate, right? 

Here, BamaOnLine takes a crack at predicting who will finish in the class of 2023 for Nick Saban and staff, more for fun than anything considering Alabama's board is going to shuffle over the coming months, new offers will be extended, targets will change, and so on. Recruiting is, after all, fluid. 

But, we're all about having fun so why not? 

For this projection we included 23 prospects, giving UA leeway for potential Transfer Portal additions come next offseason, which is safe to assume will be made in this Transfer Portal Era. 

Enjoy! 

Alabama QB target Nico Iamaleava. (Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

QB — Nico Iamaleava, 5-star QB, Downey (Calif.) Warren

The quarterback position will be a hot topic in the class of 2023, with some high-profile names considering the Crimson Tide. Much of the talk has centered around Arch Manning and his interest level in Alabama, and for good reason. But for this projection we’re going with five-star signal caller Nico Iamaleava out of Downey (Calif.) Warren. The nation’s No. 16 overall prospect, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings, has connected with the UA staff, including Nick Saban, and has taken two trips to Tuscaloosa already. With Bryce Young likely entering his name into the NFL Draft pool next spring, the Tide will be left with just two scholarship quarterbacks, making 2023 a big cycle at the position. Iamaleava would fill that need and then some with what he brings to the table. Other schools in play include Oregon, Miami, Tennessee, and others.

RB — Richard Young, 5-star RB, Lehigh Acres (Fla.) Lehigh Senior
RB — Cedric Baxter Jr., 4-star RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

A position Alabama rarely — if ever — misses at, we’re projecting the No. 1 ball carrier in the country in Young and Baxter, two Florida natives, in Alabama’s class. Young, who says the Tide was a dream school growing up, spent last weekend in Tuscaloosa, and also visited for camp last summer. He’s raved about UA in the past and is prime candidate to watch at the position. Baxter, a former teammate of UA wide receiver Christian Leary, is one that UA may be playing from behind for at the moment, but could make a big surge for in the coming months. Leary, of course, wasn’t even offered by Bama yet at this point ahead of his senior year. We’ll really lean on the projection term with this one, as Florida State, Florida, Clemson, USC, and others are strongly in play as it stands.

WR — Ryan Niblett, 4-star WR, Houston (Texas) Aldine Eisenhower
WR — Aidan Mizell, WR, Orlando (Fla.) Boone

Alabama signed the best wide receivers class in 2021, then one-upped itself in 2022 with the class of pass catchers it signed this past cycle. Could 2023 be a quiet year at the position? Maybe lesser in quantity, but not quality. Both Mizell and Niblett are recent offers, and both have exactly what the Tide is looking for in its wide receivers speed. Mizell, a Florida legacy, has a growing offer list that includes the Gators, Alabama and Georiga, among others. Niblett recently put out a top seven that excluded home state Texas. Could that signal that the Houston area standout has a desire to leave home for college? It’s possible. He’ll be on campus in Tuscaloosa March 5.

Walker Lyons
Alabama TE target Walker Lyons. (Photo: Brandon Huffman, 247Sports)

TE — Walker Lyons, 4-star TE, Folsom (Calif.)

The last time the Tide signed a Folsom (Calif.) product, Jonah Williams went on to start as a true freshman before getting drafted by the Cincinatti Bengals in the first round. Now he’s getting ready to play in the Super Bowl this weekend. Worked out pretty well, no? Lyons, a top tier tight end prospect, has heavy interest in Alabama after visiting campus for the LSU game last November and maintaining heavy contact with the UA staff. Ole Miss is trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for the 6-foot-4, 230-pounder as things stand. The Tide signed three tight ends in 2022, perhaps paving the way for a smaller class at the position in 2023.

OL — Kadyn Proctor, 5-star OT, Des Moines (Iowa) Southeast Polk
OL — Olaus Alinen, 4-star OT, Windsor (Conn.) The Loomis Chaffee School
OL — RyQueze McElderry, 3-star IOL, Anniston (Ala.) — Georgia commit
OL — Wilkin Formby, OT, Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge

Bama only signed three offensive linemen in 2022, so you can expect the staff to works towards beefing that number up in 2023. UA offered the nation’s No. 1 offensive tackle in Proctor last year before getting him on campus in the summer. Bama was up in Iowa last month to evaluate the five-star tackle, and has a great shot to get one of his five official visit this upcoming fall. Alinen, a native of Finland, already has named UA his leader compared to a number of other Power Five offers. Alinen camped in Tuscaloosa last summer and returned to campus in the fall for a visit. McElderry is committed to UGA, but that’s not keeping Saban and staff from continuing to pursue the in-state talent. Fellow in-stater Wilkin Formby, a UA legacy, lives five minutes from Bryant Denny Stadium. It’s hard to envision him not ending up in this class after earning an offer from the staff last month.

Alabama DL target Peter Woods. (Photo: Courtesy of Peter Woods )

DL — Peter Woods, 5-star DL, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson
DL — James Smith, 5-star DL, Montgomery (Ala.) Carver
DL — Kelby Collins, 4-star DL, Gardendale (Ala.)
DL — Tomarrion Parker, 4-star DL, Phenix City (Ala.) Central
DL — Hunter Osborne, 4-star DL, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

This is where the state of Alabama just starts showing off. We’ve long talked about the amount of talent the Yellowhammer State has in 2023, and this is where it starts — the defensive line. Woods has a top six, but if you didn’t know much about his recruitment, his actions would align more with those of an Alabama commit than someone else. The five-star defensive lineman is doing his due diligence, but it’s clear Alabama has positioned itself strongly for the Thompson standout. Another five-star defensive lineman — James Smith — has kept a low profile on the recruiting trail. Alabama and Georiga have been duking it out of late. While it may be too close to call for a Crystal Ball pick, it’s not too close to call for a mock class projection. Collins has gone on and on about how his relationships at UA set the Tide apart from other schools. Could that culminate in a commitment? It’s possible. Georiga had some buzz for Parker after a visit last month, but Alabama potentially turned the tide in its favor the next week when it hosted Parker and his family. Osborne landed the coveted Bama offer last month after growing up a UA fan. He’s got over three dozen offers to his name and is taking his time, but you can safely assume Bama sits high on his list.

LB — Matayo Uiagalelei, 5-star edge, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
LB — Qua Russaw, 4-star edge, Montgomery (Ala.) Carver
LB — Yhonzae Pierre, 4-star edge, Eufaula (Ala.)

Sticking within state lines (for the most part), Alabama is in prime position to land two edge rushers in Russaw and Pierre from Carver and Eufaula, respectively. Russaw, a close friend of recent UA signee Khurtiss Perry, was on campus last month, and got a closer look at the program. Auburn and Georiga are among the other schools in play. UA has climbed the list for Pierre over the last few weeks. Nick Saban was in to see him in January and he’ll be back on campus in March. Uiagalelei, the brother of Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei, is the No. 1 edge rusher in the country. If you’ve seen his dad on social media, you’d know how big a fan of Nick Saban he is. That could help in the pursuit of the talented 6-foot-4, 255-pounder.

Alabama DB target Makari Vickers. (Photo: Twitter: @MBegreat)

DB — Elliot Washington II, 4-star S, Venice (Fla.) — Alabama commit
DB — Tony Mitchell, 5-star CB, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson
DB — Jahlil Hurley, 5-star CB, Florence (Ala.)
DB — Makari Vickers, 4-star S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic
DB — Damari Brown, 3-star CB, Fort Lauderdale (Ala.) St. Thomas Aquinas

The Tide added its first commitment in the cycle a week ago in Washington. He could be joined by some high level talent when all is said and done. Mitchell and Hurley are the two in-state five-star cornerbacks the Tide has the best shot with. Mitchell isn’t making a decision anytime soon, but his Crystal Ball favors UA. Hurley will announce a commitment on Feb. 22 and is trending heavily to the Tide, his public leader. Brown recently landed an offer from Alabama. An American Heritage standout (home of Patrick Surtain II and Earl Little Jr.), Brown has the makeup to potentially be next in line from the South Florida-Alabama pipeline. Last but not least, Vickers, a four-star prospect from Tallahassee, was back in Tuscaloosa the weekend before last with his family, giving the trip high marks. It’s hard to envision any other school trending as much as Alabama is for Vickers.

This projection has Alabama finishing -- as rankings stand right now -- 321.52, which is well in contention for the No. 1 class in the country. Is it enough to break the all-time team ranking record? No, but again, this is where rankings stand now, and this projection takes into account only 23 high school prospects, two of which are currently unranked. Bottom line: Alabama is going to sign a really, really good class in the 2023, that features both top high school talent, and likely Transfer Portal talent when all is said and done. 

I guess Milzell is this year's Kobe Prentice or Antonio Kite type. No way they only end up with 2 receivers from this class, although I guess the portal always looms. 

On 2/5/2022 at 5:54 PM, RabidM said:

Is Owens a prospect that our boosters could be convinced to go big NIL on?  I know we can't offer him anything official until he enrolls, but can't we tell him what deals he'll get after he arrives on campus? 

Technically no as that would be an inducement to attend, no?  

The beauty of position room endowments is they can be announced in the media without targeting any particular recruit :)

Setting that floor fairly high while players know they can layer on their own merch, sponsored posts, autograph signings, etc can puts Texas in a very competitive position vs anyone else's NIL opportunities.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:54 PM, RabidM said:

Is Owens a prospect that our boosters could be convinced to go big NIL on?  I know we can't offer him anything official until he enrolls, but can't we tell him what deals he'll get after he arrives on campus? 

What do you think is the difference between offering something and telling someone that they will get something?

I wonder if this staff will be tempted to hop off the Rueben Owens rollercoaster this spring (assuming Arch doesn’t doesn’t announce soon) and try to get another OOS back who Choice has connections with (which is a quite a few) who is on a shorter timeline and without some of the shenanigans. Owens is a damn good player, but he’s not irreplaceable when compared to some other backs we have offers out to.

Sorta like we did in 2020 with Bijan instead of Evans

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

What do you think is the difference between offering something and telling someone that they will get something?

Offering something official right now is not legal.  Telling them what they're hypothetically going to get when they're NIL legal is probably a gray area.  If you're coy with your language and word things carefully, you can convey what you have lined up without explicitly saying you already have an NIL deal already in place.  We knew Ewers had a million dollar NIL deal before he left for Ohio St.  They didn't get in trouble... they were probably very careful about the language they used to convey the offer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Does nobody else think Cutcliffe is coming here because he’s retired and his wife wants to be close to family (her brother is Eddie Orans sister)?  The connection to Manning obviously helps but the move makes sense even without Manning and I don’t think Cutcliffe coming here means Manning is a sure thing by any stretch.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is true but also speaks to the landscape-wide sentiment that this year’s haul in the state of Texas is historically weak. 

But Mike Roach said half of the position groups should be filled with in-state kids because they're so strong, and he would never be a TXHSFB honk.