Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13235642/Samu-Taumanupepe

Unblockable when he wants to be.

If his weight is trending down, that's a good sign he can take to S&C.  I'd be curious if he looks different in opponents or teammates film. Remember when Kendell Jones had great highlights but looked awful in opponents film?  I don't know if he's a serious target, so I'm not going to look. But, that will be interesting if he is a priority target. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, texastough said:

I should have elaborated. I am very confident that we can find a way to establish the NIL baseline for the roster, with comp stepping up for contributors and for the stars. As y'all pointed out, not explicitly tied to performance, # of snaps etc. But since NIL value is highest for stars, it will not be hard to accomplish a system that rewards the players on the field over backups or youngsters. Huck mentioned player-specific deals on top of the roster NIL baseline, which works fine and no doubt there are other ways to skin the cat i.e. create proper incentives while staying compliant.

You think? Tell me more how a free market economy and the NIL works. Actually, just to be safe, please do not. 

17 hours ago, texastough said:

Educate us big boy

There is a entire sub forum for NIL shit, where you can educate yourself. And that’s outside of the fact the folks who follow this board closely enough to know what’s going on or have literally had a hand in NIL endeavors have tried to educate you and you literally refuse to listen or get a clue. So, maybe sit this one out and take some people’s word for it, Big Boy. 

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Oh my friend, let me let you in on a little secret: we are all whores for money

I'm crying on the outside and inside. But Manning could be the one to get us Owens back. We need to pray to Xenu it happens. If aggy lands Owens, I may actually go to federal prison for some things 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

Lol Owens is going to aggy unless UGA, Bama, or LSU drop a fat stack.  Aggy has realized that even when they pay recruits, people would still choose other programs where they get the same money.  They have decided they are going to win a championship and I cannot believe those morons did it in this fashion and the ridiculous dollars they are giving iut.  Those guys went out and bought the top 3 DL in the country …. Without a DC.  And then went on to buy more 5 stars that have stated they would never go there only to commit there after 1 visit.  

I will say, these guys are all freshman and they still have to produce.  Outside of Bama, they looked terrible this year.  Those recruits are going to jump ship after they go 8-4 again.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

Is Owens a prospect that our boosters could be convinced to go big NIL on?  I know we can't offer him anything official until he enrolls, but can't we tell him what deals he'll get after he arrives on campus? 

You can only say our players are making x at these positions. 

7 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

You can only say our players are making x at these positions. 

“Our current RB starter is making “X”. We want you as our future RB because we feel you have 1.56x the talent of our current RB”

recruit calculates the exact #’s and problem solved

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, The Deuce said:

“Our current RB starter is making “X”. We want you as our future RB because we feel you have 1.56x the talent of our current RB”

recruit calculates the exact #’s and problem solved

Then Jimbo drops a bag and says, "Son, don't think, just count." Owens says, "where do I sign?"

19 hours ago, RabidM said:

Is Owens a prospect that our boosters could be convinced to go big NIL on?  I know we can't offer him anything official until he enrolls, but can't we tell him what deals he'll get after he arrives on campus? 

Offering that much money on an RB is dumb in my opinion. Like the NFL, I would rather spend my money in the trenches, at QB, and linebacker/safety. Develop a solid OL and a 3 star RB can succeed. Owens would be a nice get but don’t think he make or breaks our 2023 class. 

• Hook 'Em 8

We will have a shot at Owens if we get Manning, but even then it would still be a dog fight. He's highly coveted by Georgia, Bama, and A&M. Will certainly require him agreeing to chill out until he makes it to campus to collect on his payday. Not very likely considering the other offers he will be fielding. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Offering that much money on an RB is dumb in my opinion. Like the NFL, I would rather spend my money in the trenches, at QB, and linebacker/safety. Develop a solid OL and a 3 star RB can succeed. Owens would be a nice get but don’t think he make or breaks our 2023 class. 

Additionally with the portal you can expect attrition at the skill positions earlier. put the resources in the lines, build from there.

Stayed off of this board for a while until the 2022 class was all wrapped up, (I only got time for one of these at a time these days) and good Lord it’s depressing as hell in here.

If CTJ is right about this class being ranked between 15-25, then you might was well get rid of Sark the moment you see the results aren’t there this season, because that’s a transition class anyways.

The only times we’ve finished outside of the top 10 in the past 20 years or so are in transition years or when we took 15 or less kids.

36 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Stayed off of this board for a while until the 2022 class was all wrapped up, (I only got time for one of these at a time these days) and good Lord it’s depressing as hell in here.

If CTJ is right about this class being ranked between 15-25, then you might was well get rid of Sark the moment you see the results aren’t there this season, because that’s a transition class anyways.

The only times we’ve finished outside of the top 10 in the past 20 years or so are in transition years or when we took 15 or less kids.

It’s early February. You admit to not following any of 2023 yet and then make sweeping generalizations. Owens is one guy.

Calm down.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I know there is a belief that just changing coaches will change the trajectory of the program, and it might help, but until or if Texas’ NIL gets big enough to dwarf all of the sophisticated cheating systems by A&M, Georgia, Florida, Bama, etc., I just don’t see coaching fixing Texas’ on-field success.  Good coaching might make the program more respectable than 5-7, but not strong enough to win at the level Texas should be winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I personally don't see any way we have that bad of a recruiting class. I am quite certain that we will make some adjustments to combat what has been going on, and the more muscle we get with NIL over time, it will continue to help with the top recruits. Jimbo is going balls out right now to sign the top guys, but even with their best class EVAAAR  we split the top 10 in state prospects with aggy 4-4. They were getting the national guys, which is where their class separated. If we hold serve in state we will be a top 10 class without doing much else. I am holding my breath that the defense improves next year by a pretty big margin. If we get competent or even average defense, we will be showing the right trajectory that it should tip some top guys our way. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Roach on David Cutcliffe joining the staff. Definitely would help with Manning.

Hide contents

Throughout the winter we heard the name David Cutcliffe quite a bit as a potential analyst to join Steve Sarkisian's staff. The long time quarterback developer and head coach was most recently at Duke but both sides decided to part ways following three straight losing seasons.

A source I spoke with yesterday indicated there was growing buzz in the coaching community that Cutcliffe will eventually end up on the Texas staff as an analyst. While we've known that for a bit, this particular bit of information came from a trustworthy source on the topic.

If Cutcliffe joined the staff, it would add another coach with a wealth of experience to a group that just brought on Gary Patterson to serve in an advisory role. Cutcliffe is known as a fantastic quarterback developer and has a relationship with the Manning family through his work with Peyton and Eli at the college level. It wouldn't hurt in the pursuit of Arch Manning in 2023.

Chip and I are digging further into this, but there seems to be a little bit of momentum as opposed to the rumors we heard a month or so ago.

One Big bright spot about this Sark and staff is the ability to put their ego’s to the side and hire experience, instead of acting like they know everything and don’t need help. .  Kudos to Sark 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, D3zii said:

One Big bright spot about this Sark and staff is the ability to put their ego’s to the side and hire experience, instead of acting like they know everything and don’t need help. .  Kudos to Sark 

Unless you subscribe to the idea of Sark not wanting Patterson in the building in the first place. 

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s early February. You admit to not following any of 2023 yet and then make sweeping generalizations. Owens is one guy.

Calm down.

Maybe you should stop making assumptions. I didn’t say anything about Owens, that was not a response to him, it was a response to everything in this thread. And while I just caught up on this ‘23 class thread I’m not new to this in general. I know how it works, you can spare me your “be patient and trust the coaches” lecture.

38 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I know there is a belief that just changing coaches will change the trajectory of the program, and it might help, but until or if Texas’ NIL gets big enough to dwarf all of the sophisticated cheating systems by A&M, Georgia, Florida, Bama, etc., I just don’t see coaching fixing Texas’ on-field success.  Good coaching might make the program more respectable than 5-7, but not strong enough to win at the level Texas should be winning. 

I actually agree with this, but if this season  goes even remotely as bad as last season and recruiting is in the tank, there just isn’t any reason to keep Sark either.

As far as NIL, I’m with you, this looks like this will be the second class in a row where bag money fucks us. I know we all expect NIL to dwarf bag money in the future, but if it takes a couple of more classes to do that, we’re going to be in a massive hole talent wise.

Edited by Lonestar88

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

the idea of Sark not wanting Patterson in the building in the first place. 

I do not believe that Coach Sark was ever originally opposed to it. He is not known as a a "big ego" guy. 

I think he just wanted to actually sit down and meet Gary first, and have a discussion with him about his role within the program.

CDC already had a relationship with Gary, while Coach Sark did not.

• Like 1