Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This, I am not getting the warm fuzzies on our LB recruiting. With such a screaming need at the position, I am shocked that we don't have 5 or 6 guys we feel good about. 

We aren't taking 5 or 6 guys at a position that has 2 players on the field. We will probably take 3 off ball linebackers in the class (already have one committed in Burrell) and they might count Gullette as another one if they get him since it sounds like they are selling him on some sort of hybrid role.

edit: @Atticusbeat me to it.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wouldn't say we're all over the place exactly. We just have the two worst recruiters on staff coaching our LBs, so we're constantly missing and resetting. If we had better recruiters there/assigned some of our better recruiters to help, then our strategy would probably appear much more coherent. Not only did PK put in an all time bad DC performance last year, but he and his buddy are also causing positions of scarcity to be even more scarce with their recruiting. Sark needs to have a short leash with PK this year. 

Are you grouping edge guys into this thought or are you just talking about off ball LB's? Assuming you also think Bo is a lot of heavy lifting with edge guys?

Edited by Hookem2147

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This, I am not getting the warm fuzzies on our LB recruiting. With such a screaming need at the position, I am shocked that we don't have 5 or 6 guys we feel good about. 

Hopefully DTD proves to be a baller, but our transfer takes (and misses) at ILB and edge the last two years have been awful. 

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are you grouping edge guys into this thought or are you just talking about off ball LB's? Assuming you also think Bo is a lot of heavy lifting with edge guys?

It all gets jumbled with the the 2-4 vs 3-3, etc. but primarily ILBs and SAM. Davis did well at edge in the 2022 class and I’m sure he’ll figure it out in 23. PK being bad at DC and basically not recruiting is another strike against him. 

Not getting Mathis or any other edge in the portal was a pretty inexcusable mistake, though, regardless of whose fault it was. There were absolutely edge transfers better than what we have and we are going to get killed at those spots all year. Most people are pinning hopes on Sorrell stepping up, but he was getting beat by shitty backup Tackles and TEs way too much in the spring game for me to have much hope for him this year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are you grouping edge guys into this thought or are you just assuming Bo is doing all the heavy lifting there?

based on 247 

Choate: Trevell Johnson, Derrick Brown

Milwee- Ethan Burke

Bo- Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson, Bryant (He actually recieved help and didnt offer much outside his group. He did not recruit the edge players lieke many give him credit for)

Gideon- Finkley, Allen, Gooden, Bryant

PK- Tapp,  Finkley  Swanson, and Brown.. not sure he was the main on any of these. 

Terry Joseph:  Brooks , Tapp, Jordan, Brice, Austin Jordan. probably piss some people off, but through 1 full cycle he was easily the best recruiter

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

based on 247 

Choate: Trevell Johnson, Derrick Brown

Milwee- Ethan Burke

Bo- Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson, Bryant (He actually recieved help and didnt offer much outside his group. He did not recruit the edge players lieke many give him credit for)

Gideon- Finkley, Allen, Gooden, Bryant

PK- Tapp,  Finkley  Swanson, and Brown.. not sure he was the main on any of these. 

Terry Joseph:  Brooks , Tapp, Jordan, Brice, Austin Jordan. probably piss some people off, but through 1 full cycle he was easily the best recruiter

Yikes, man. Those are some terrible conclusions you made. Don’t put any stock in that list, especially if it leads you to conclude Davis didn’t recruit well. 247’s info on that is beyond worthless.

For instance, Joseph is only listed for Tapp, because Joseph is the LA regional recruiter. Davis did the heavy lifting on that one. 

Yeah, the 247 recruiter list is garbage. Everyone pretty much did their job except for Choate. I will say it was a weak year in state for off ball LB’s, but we needed more from him. Only positive he gave is I have a roundabout connection to the Brown recruitment and Brown was damn close to going to Baylor last summer until Choate took over communication for PK and turned up the heat.

He is off a much better start in 2023 with Burrell but he will need to get at least 2 more guys to help us replenish that position.

Scoop (not much of substance)

Spoiler

To say this week is an important week for Steve Sarkisian and staff is putting it mildly. Arch Manning will be in town, as will several other top Texas Longhorns recruiting targets.
June 14-16
Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake
Texas is seen as working from behind heading into the On3 Consensus four-star’s mid-week official visit. Oklahoma and Clemson are considered ahead of Texas currently. Vasek will head to Oregon for an official visit the day after the Texas OV concludes.
June 17-19
Arch Manning, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman
If you missed this Arch Manning update from Sunday, give it a read. The Cliff’s Notes are Arch is buddies with the Director of Operations for Georgia’s main NIL collective. Personally, I’m not concerned about the collective and money, but that relationship is certainly noteworthy and maybe even concerning. We know Arch has a number of friends who attend Texas, but much less is known about how close he is to those at Georgia, and where those relationships could lead.

This is still an open recruitment and Kirby Smart is in his ear daily from what we hear.

Manning will take to Austin this weekend for his long anticipated official visit. He knows Texas intimately well, but there are still some i’s to dot and t’s to cross when it comes to the recruitment. Word is he is still trying to get an idea of who would join him at each school and he has as much interest in defensive players joining him in the class as he does offensive. In fact, he has reached to at least one defensive player to see if he’s visiting this weekend.

To reiterate, there are a number of top prospects who believe Arch is leaning towards Texas. It will be incumbent upon the staff to use that as leverage to build a consensus around Arch, and in return, to instill confidence in the Five-Star Plus+ quarterback they’ll be able to capitalize on his commitment, should they receive it.

Jaquaize Pettaway, WR, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek
Oklahoma is the perceived leader heading into the Texas visit. Cale Gundy has done a very solid job with Pettaway since January. Make no mistake that Oklahoma is worried about Texas. There was a push to get him to commit to the Sooners and shut it down prior to the Texas visit this weekend. That push continues. Sarkisian and Brennan Marion are up to bat now.

Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman
Texas remains on very solid footing footing for the future fleet tight end.

My’Keil Gardner, DL, Peioria (Ariz.) Liberty
Inside Texas continues to place Gardner in the Oregon lean category. The 6-foot-3, 285-pounder has made official visits to Wisconsin and Michigan this month, but it’s the visit to Eugene set for June 24-26 that is the one to watch.

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic
Word Inside Texas has received from Mitchell’s Miami official visit over the weekend was that it wasn’t a home run. We shall see if that holds long term. This weekend, Texas will have the opportunity to show the 6-foot-4, 335-pounder that he is needed at the nose tackle spot with a depth chart that is about to lean up. Neither Georgia or Texas A&M offer immediate playing time. Mitchell is scheduled to make an official visit to Auburn on June 24-26. A summer decision is currently expected.

Hunter Osborne, EDGE/DL, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville
Osborne and Texas continue to have strong communication leading into the official visit. Osborne has already made a June OV to Clemson. Tennessee, Auburn, and Florida are all squarely in the mix along with the Longhorns. Bo Davis and Justice Finkley will be huge this weekend for the Longhorns’ chances.

Tony Mitchell, S, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR, Temple (Texas)
The Temple two-way standout is yet another Texas prospect Arch Manning keeps in contact with. He remains a priority regardless of where he wants to play. Similar to Pettaway, OU has the lead but the OV looms large.
More recruiting scoop
Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas)
With the Lobos qualifying for the state 7-on-7 tournament on Saturday, the Hale won’t be able to visit Texas the last weekend in June. That’s not to say he won’t be making a return trip to Austin, the timing is just yet to be determined. Out of all of the wide receiver coaches recruiting him, Brennan Marion might be making the strongest impression, sources tell IT.

Hale has already taken an official visit to Georgia, where he spent time with Arch Manning. He is set to see USC on June 17-19. Alabama will likely get an official visit as well, but we wouldn’t be surprised if he saves a few official trips for the season.

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
It’s decision time. After official visits to Texas, Washington, and UCLA, the Cali-bred prospect tells IT he’ll make a decision in a few days. He tripped to Austin over the weekend and couldn’t say enough about the visit.

Shannon is looking for the best opportunity from an athletic, academic, and life after sports standpoint. Texas wants a pair of tight ends in this cycle, and Shannon could fill one spot. We’ll know soon.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
On3's No. 2 cornerback Sam Spiegelman he set his official visit to Austin for this weekend. However, this may end up being an unofficial visit. We are monitoring that. Muhammad’s recruitment started with him appearing destined for an out-of-state school. But Texas and Texas A&M have made this an in-state battle. Muhammad continues to get closer to Sarkisian and Terry Joseph, in addition to a number of 2023 recruits with Texas on their top schools lists. Muhammad would like to have a decision before his senior year but we do wonder if he’ll end up extending his timeline.

Jaydan Hardy, S, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy via Lewisville (Texas) - 2024
The dynamic junior safety tells Inside Texas he should be making his way back to Austin this month. The No. 10 safety in the 2024 On3 Consensus rankingse holds 24 offers including Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Oklahoma, and Florida.

Despite his move to the Sunshine State, he’s stayed close with the Texas staff. Hardy’s father played at Tennessee, so they’ll naturally be in the equation. There are no real leaders early in this recruitment, giving Texas an opportunity to make a move this summer.

Kolaj Cobbins, EDGE, Destrehan (La.) - 2024
Cobbins is yet another prospect from Louisiana that UT is making in-roads with. He picked up an offer from Texas in early April and after camping in Austin over the weekend, IT expects the staff to stay on him. He won a lot of reps and received special instruction and attention from Pete Kwiatkowski. He and his father also spent some time with Sarkisian. Cobbins is wide open at this point but this is a winnable recruitment long-term. When it comes to LSU, he said, “I’m not saying I’m going to LSU. I’m not saying I’m not going to LSU.” Cobbins hold all the big offers already.

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yikes, man. Those are some terrible conclusions you made. Don’t put any stock in that list, especially if it leads you to conclude Davis didn’t recruit well. 247’s info on that is beyond worthless.

For instance, Joseph is only listed for Tapp, because Joseph is the LA regional recruiter. Davis did the heavy lifting on that one. 

Have to use something. ON 3 is pretty close also, 

Primary   Secondary
Brooks  Joesph    
Allen Gideon   Banks
Finkley PK   Gideon
Bledsoe Bo Davis    
Tapp PK   Joseph
Guilbeau Joesph    
Ross Bo Davis    
Jordan Joesph    
Bryant Gideon   Bo Davis
Burke nobody,, but probably should say Todd Dodge
Gooden Gideon    
Brown PK   Gideon
T Johnson Banks   Choate
Brice Joseoph    
Swanson Bo Davis   PK

Oddly ON3 gives him primary on just 3 players. I dont think hauling in Bledsoe, Ross, and Swanson is a killer job. I like Bledsoe, but I am not sure he is at Texas if people did not back off him. On defense there were only 2 positions that Texas failed to secure a top 20 national player and they were DL and LB

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Probably time to accept that there is a good chance neither Braxter or Owens will be in the class. Not the end of the world considering who we have committed and Choice being a solid recruiter, but a slight bummer.

I don't think Baxter is a reach at all, so I'm not sure why it'd be time to accept that he won't be in this class, and am really not sure what new information would suggest that. Owens is the one I'm writing off at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I don't think Baxter is a reach at all, so I'm not sure why it'd be time to accept that he won't be in this class, and am really not sure what new information would suggest that. Owens is the one I'm writing off at the moment. 

I can’t recall us ever winning a recruitment like Baxter’s. Florida kid, new coach smell at Miami and Florida, Bama breathing down his neck. A&M involved.

Maybe he is wired like Bijan Robinson and Tashard Choice will be Stan Drayton 2.0, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Roach with the Spencer Shannon CB to the good guys

Roach: HOT TAKE - TEXAS WILL LAND SHANNON

Spoiler

Texas could add a new player to the 2023 class this week.

After making his official visit to Austin and declaring plans to decide this week, I've decided to put in a Texas pick for Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei tight end Spencer Shannon. The three-star prospect holds 14 offers and is deciding between the Longhorns, UCLA, Washington and Cal.

Shannon gave the visit extremely high marks speaking with Horns247 after the trip and the Longhorns have a need for an in-line tight end with the ability to block and be a threat as a wide receiver. Sources out west also feel that Texas has been able to grab the edge for him after hosting him earlier in the spring.

Shannon had a strong spring on the camp and 7v7 circuit showing off his massive size and smooth ability. After competing at the Under Armour camp earlier this spring, 247Sports' Greg Biggins singled Shannon out as a prospect who caught his eye.

"Shannon looked like Ivan Drago running around and has a huge, 6-7, 240 pound frame. He wasn’t used much in the passing game at Mater Dei but showed not just Sunday but a few weeks earlier at the Battle 7v7 event that he can be a very reliable pass catcher and a tough player to match up with because of his frame and ability to catch the ball away from his body."

The Longhorns don't currently have a tight end in the current class and only have two offensive prospects committed in Ryan Niblett and Tre Wisner. Shannon has been recruited primarily by Jeff Banks who targeted him this spring as a priority target at the position.

The Longhorns will likely take a second tight end if they land Shannon. Right now, the favorite would be New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman prospect Will Randle, but the Longhorns are in on several other names at the position as well.

At 6-foot-7, 240 pounds, Shannon is ranked as the No. 49 tight end in the country and No. 86 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Sounds like Baxter came away impressed. Between coach Choice and that '22 O-line class is hard not to be... Owens may end up being the Zach Evans to Baxter's Bijan Robinson 🤞🏻

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I can’t recall us ever winning a recruitment like Baxter’s. Florida kid, new coach smell at Miami and Florida, Bama breathing down his neck. A&M involved.

Maybe he is wired like Bijan Robinson and Tashard Choice will be Stan Drayton 2.0, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that.

tbf, we don't win a lot of our recruitments, whether they're exactly like Baxter's or not. A&M may or may not be a threat, and then you have the home state guys. But from everything we've heard, Texas has made up a lot of ground with the kid and is liking us. Doesn't mean he'll commit here, but also doesn't suggest it's time to accept he's probably not coming here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

tbf, we don't win a lot of our recruitments, whether they're exactly like Baxter's or not. A&M may or may not be a threat, and then you have the home state guys. But from everything we've heard, Texas has made up a lot of ground with the kid and is liking us. Doesn't mean he'll commit here, but also doesn't suggest it's time to accept he's probably not coming here. 

I like Texas chances with Baxter better than Owens. Unfortunately,  that is  still probably like a 10:1 shot for Baxter

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 1

Standish

Spoiler

— Late Saturday a source reached out to me with the news that 2023 Mater Dei tight end Spencer Shannon loved his visit and Texas would be the team to beat with a decision potentially on the way this upcoming week. Mike spoke with Shannon yesterday, who gave the visit a 10/10 confirming our source’s intel.

After talking with a few more people in the know on Shannon’s recruitment we’ve both decided to enter crystal ball predictions for Texas to land the 6-foot-7 athlete from one of the top high school programs in the nation.

As I mentioned on the podcast last week, Shannon’s tape really impressed me and he fits perfectly for Texas as a Y in-line tight end in Steve Sarkisian’s system. Mike will have more quotes from Shannon later tonight.

— Overall the Texas staff crushed the Elite Bash underclassmen camp and visit with high marks from nearly everybody we spoke to both on and off the record. One detail that universally made waves was three Lamborghini Austin cars parked on the sidewalk outside of the stadium when recruits and parents would arrive for check in.

Now putting a sports car on display for a visit isn’t exactly a new tactic in recruiting, however where Texas crushed it with recruits was highlighting that the green Lamborghini in the middle of the three was star running back Bijan Robinson’s personal car.

A recruit mentioned to me off the record that he had seen nice cars on a visit before, but understanding that at Texas there is an established pathway for NIL success through elite play on the field with Bijan Robinson and Xavier Worthy in mind definitely moved the Horns up his list.

COMMENTS
—This weekend we got the word that five-star Alabama native Tony Mitchell wouldn’t take his official visit to Texas after spending the weekend in College Station. We hear that Georgia is a possibility for that final visit spot and as we’ve reported for months never seriously considered Mitchell to be an attainable target for the Horns in the first place.

The interesting dynamic to keep an eye on with Mitchell is the potential domino effect of him committing to Texas A&M considering they already have Bravion Rogers and Jayvon Thomas in their class, lead for Dalton Brooks, and potentially could take Malik Muhammad or Javien Toviano. The numbers situation for Texas A&M at DB in the 2023 cycle is a recruiting point that Texas will likely hammer home with one of Brooks, Toviano, or Muhammad.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Have to use something. ON 3 is pretty close also, 

Primary   Secondary
Brooks  Joesph    
Allen Gideon   Banks
Finkley PK   Gideon
Bledsoe Bo Davis    
Tapp PK   Joseph
Guilbeau Joesph    
Ross Bo Davis    
Jordan Joesph    
Bryant Gideon   Bo Davis
Burke nobody,, but probably should say Todd Dodge
Gooden Gideon    
Brown PK   Gideon
T Johnson Banks   Choate
Brice Joseoph    
Swanson Bo Davis   PK

Oddly ON3 gives him primary on just 3 players. I dont think hauling in Bledsoe, Ross, and Swanson is a killer job. I like Bledsoe, but I am not sure he is at Texas if people did not back off him. On defense there were only 2 positions that Texas failed to secure a top 20 national player and they were DL and LB

You're starting in the wrong zip code. None of the sites are putting a ton of effort into those lists and they're largely inaccurate. They tend to lazily put the position coach or the area recruiter as the primary or secondary regardless of who actually did the heavy lifting, which is why Davis is not getting credit for most of the edge guys, even though he recruited them all heavily and made up for PK being basically a 0 in recruiting. 

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Standish

Hide contents

— Late Saturday a source reached out to me with the news that 2023 Mater Dei tight end Spencer Shannon loved his visit and Texas would be the team to beat with a decision potentially on the way this upcoming week. Mike spoke with Shannon yesterday, who gave the visit a 10/10 confirming our source’s intel.

After talking with a few more people in the know on Shannon’s recruitment we’ve both decided to enter crystal ball predictions for Texas to land the 6-foot-7 athlete from one of the top high school programs in the nation.

As I mentioned on the podcast last week, Shannon’s tape really impressed me and he fits perfectly for Texas as a Y in-line tight end in Steve Sarkisian’s system. Mike will have more quotes from Shannon later tonight.

— Overall the Texas staff crushed the Elite Bash underclassmen camp and visit with high marks from nearly everybody we spoke to both on and off the record. One detail that universally made waves was three Lamborghini Austin cars parked on the sidewalk outside of the stadium when recruits and parents would arrive for check in.

Now putting a sports car on display for a visit isn’t exactly a new tactic in recruiting, however where Texas crushed it with recruits was highlighting that the green Lamborghini in the middle of the three was star running back Bijan Robinson’s personal car.

A recruit mentioned to me off the record that he had seen nice cars on a visit before, but understanding that at Texas there is an established pathway for NIL success through elite play on the field with Bijan Robinson and Xavier Worthy in mind definitely moved the Horns up his list.

COMMENTS
—This weekend we got the word that five-star Alabama native Tony Mitchell wouldn’t take his official visit to Texas after spending the weekend in College Station. We hear that Georgia is a possibility for that final visit spot and as we’ve reported for months never seriously considered Mitchell to be an attainable target for the Horns in the first place.

The interesting dynamic to keep an eye on with Mitchell is the potential domino effect of him committing to Texas A&M considering they already have Bravion Rogers and Jayvon Thomas in their class, lead for Dalton Brooks, and potentially could take Malik Muhammad or Javien Toviano. The numbers situation for Texas A&M at DB in the 2023 cycle is a recruiting point that Texas will likely hammer home with one of Brooks, Toviano, or Muhammad.

Its amazing. That would be #2, #4, #7, and 8. Muhammed would be #6. That would be insane. How they are getting 4-5 guys at the same position amazes me. EVen throwing money at them,  it is terrible situation for half of them

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You're starting in the wrong zip code. None of the sites are putting a ton of effort into those lists and they're largely inaccurate. They tend to lazily put the position coach or the area recruiter as the primary or secondary regardless of who actually did the heavy lifting, which is why Davis is not getting credit for most of the edge guys, even though he recruited them all heavily and made up for PK being basically a 0 in recruiting. 

Could be, but like I said he did not have a killer DL class. You can give the credit for assists on other commitments, but like I said he underwhelmed me at his own position group. I loved the motherfuckering, but we shall see where DL recruiting ends up this year. He pulled in 3 and 4 with a big assist to Gideon, that just isnt great

Edited by Codaxx

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Its amazing. That would be #2, #4, #7, and 8. Muhammed would be #6. That would be insane. How they are getting 4-5 guys at the same position amazes me. EVen throwing money at them,  it is terrible situation for half of them

it's not going to stick and it's going to bite them in the ass. it's how it works when you aren't Alabama...and the only reason it works for Bama is:

image.png.e00a29ea5cfdadb87191a211f4e7c726.png

and

image.thumb.png.dfb56f512d553aa875b320414f35df62.png

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Could be, but like I said he did not have a killer DL class. You can give the credit for assists on other commitments, but like I said he underwhelmed me at his own position group. I loved the motherfuckering, but we shall see where the DL recruiting ends up this year.

Kris Ross, Bledsoe, Bryant and Swanson underwhelmed you? You must have your expectations set high.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Kris Ross, Bledsoe, Bryant and Swanson underwhelmed you? You must have your expectations set high.

We all know a lot of team backed off Bledsoe for grades, he has the highest upside. Ross is solid.. Swanson is project. They may all work out, but no that is not a crazy group

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

We all know a lot of team backed off Bledsoe for grades

And his grades were not only fine, but he was able to graduate and enroll in January.

Seems like we should be giving credit to our coaches for knowing what others didn't, not dinging them for a rumor that turned out not to be true.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

And his grades were not only fine, but he was able to graduate and enroll in January.

Seems like we should be giving credit to our coaches for knowing what others didn't, not dinging them for a rumor that turned out not to be true.

If you want to see it like that cool, maybe it was Texas out-sleuthing the competition

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Owens is giving me a bit of a Zac Evans vibe. I am sure we are in better position with Baxter but I don't think that means we are getting him. If we get Arch, I am curious how much that changes the situation. But, as I mentioned before, Wisner is good enough to be the lead back in a 2 back class. The kid is a stud. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Owens is giving me a bit of a Zac Evans vibe. I am sure we are in better position with Baxter but I don't think that means we are getting him. If we get Arch, I am curious how much that changes the situation. But, as I mentioned before, Wisner is good enough to be the lead back in a 2 back class. The kid is a stud. 

The title  should be Arch or bust, because everything written here is BS until Arch picks his home. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would say one of Sark's biggest mistakes is lacking a killer recruiter on the defensive side of the ball (I dont think anyone is a rainmaker on that side). I hope Gideon develops into that, but recruiting comparison between the offensive staff and defensive staff is laughable. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

that’s where the portal comes in. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Probably time to accept that there is a good chance neither Braxter or Owens will be in the class. Not the end of the world considering who we have committed and Choice being a solid recruiter, but a slight bummer.

The scenario Gerry pointed out is that Baxter’s recruitment may go all the way to December, and if we are all in on him to that point and he goes another direction, we may miss out on getting a second quality RB in this class. 

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

The scenario Gerry pointed out is that Baxter’s recruitment may go all the way to December, and if we are all in on him to that point and he goes another direction, we may miss out on getting a second quality RB in this class. 

Yeah, that doesn't concern me too much because RB is a pretty easy position to backfill through the portal if you get burned late. Plus if Blue keeps his head on straight straight we should be okay in 2023 even if we only take one back (depth chart would Brooks, K. Robinson, Blue, Wisner). Then take 2 backs in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, that doesn't concern me too much because RB is a pretty easy position to backfill through the portal if you get burned late. Plus if Blue keeps his head on straight straight we should be okay in 2023 even if we only take one back (depth chart would Brooks, K. Robinson, Blue, Wisner). Then take 2 backs in 2024.

Agree. Given our depth at the position and the opportunities presented by the portal, the risk/reward calculus probably favors swinging for the fences.