Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Nahlin - Casey by Case June Strategy:

We are close to having very good clarity on UT’s big board. June fact patterns will tell us a lot as kids visit their top schools. Here I’ll go into how I view the strategy behind each visitor. Of course my view is with the benefit of inside info and round table discussions with Justin and Gerry.

Official visits 

June 10-12

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater: This is the long game no matter how you split it, and you can expect Texas to have a seat at the table even if he reduces his list to three schools. Getting him in early seems counterintuitive but game day visits are much more hectic, and so too will be the following official visit weekend. Show him the stadium named after two Heisman winning running backs. Have him spend quality time with Bijan Robinson and learn in detail what it’s like to be the unofficial student body president. Texas will need to get a good understanding of whether or not it’s realistic to land Baxter, or if they need to pivot towards an all hands on deck approach to Rueben Owens.

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei: They’ve offered a handful of tight ends recently, even though they can land both Shannon and Will Randle. I’m curious myself to see the long term strategy at Jeff Banks’ position.

June 14-16

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake: The midweek official visit rarely works out but that’s a good approach if you want to be able to make up ground in a recruitment. A visit in the middle of the week will allow Vasek to watch workouts.

June 17-19

Arch Manning, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman: Originally the staff was hoping to have Manning in on the final weekend of the month but due to the Manning Passing Academy that wasn’t doable. This could potentially work out better. Texas would benefit from fellow recruits on visits this weekend to get the feeling Arch will end up at Texas. Confidence is the highest it has been in favor of Texas since this recruitment took off a year ago.

Jaquaize Pettaway, WR, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek: Oklahoma is a real threat so they need a big weekend. It was interesting when earlier in the spring Pettaway said he wasn’t being recruited much by people like Xavier Worthy or that he hadn’t been in touch with Manning. Since then he has talked with Manning. This is the perfect weekend for Pettaway to visit. He’ll see how down to earth the five-star is and I believe that will appeal to him.

Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman: I’m mildly surprised he isn’t committed yet.

My’Keil Gardner, DL, Peioria (Ariz.) Liberty: Texas got out of the gates pretty good in this recruitment but then Oregon took control. They needed to get Gardner on campus ASAP to try and make up ground.

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic: This visit will be about taking your best shot and trying to hang around the rim in the event things break UT’s way this season. Georgia is the favorite.

Hunter Osborne, EDGE, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville: We had Osborne on offer watch last summer and it didn’t materialize. From that standpoint, there may be ground to make up. The flip side of that is, maybe they knew they could wait. Osborne and true freshman early enrollee Justice Finkley are close. Who better to chaperone?

Tony Mitchell, S, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson: It’s fun to force your foes to play defense.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR, Temple (Texas): From a recruiting standpoint he’s wide receiver specific and UT will have some ground to make up. Having him in with Arch makes sense — those two have similar personalities. OU leads.

June 24-26

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower: Just ensure he’s firmly committed.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake: This might be the last chance for Texas to keep Greathouse close to home. They’ll need to make a compelling pitch regarding scheme. Notre Dame is the team to beat.

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy: It’s hard to see Parker in the class, even though he has some of the most dynamic tape at the position this cycle. LSU just offered. Before that Penn State was the most likely destination. Strategy here is to retain optionality as long as possible. That’s tough to do in this day and age.

Andre Cojoe, OL. Mansfield (Texas) Summit: More

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland: O-line

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas): Consensus

Ian Reed, OL, Austin (Texas) Vandegrift: Building

It’s maybe a bit unfortunate the four offensive lineman won’t be in at the same time as Arch, but they just hung out with him in late March. These players will have a firm grip on UT’s positioning with Arch, and therefore a firm grip on class trajectory.

Ansel Nedore, DL, Round Rock (Texas): Nedore hasn’t been super responsive to schools recruiting him. They’ll want to get an understanding of why that is.

Avion Carter, DL, Amarillo (Texas) Tascosa: Carter’s another talented player the staff will want to get to know much better. Official visits for both Nedore and Carter are going to help determine how big of a need they are. Numbers on the D-line aren’t as big as they were last cycle.

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin (Texas): This official visit is all about cementing UT’s standing as the likely team to beat heading into July, August, and potential decision before his senior season.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas): Another chance to get the final word before the dead period. Texas needs to hold off USC and play up proximity.

Blake Purchase, EDGE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek: The kid has good tape but they’ll want to get to know him better and see if he fits in the class numbers-wise. They went after Billy Walton fairly aggressively, so an all out push for Purchase wouldn’t be a total surprise.

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley: Former A&M linebacker and all around good guy Donnie Bragg watched Burrell at a camp and immediately hit me up stating the kid can move, but what really stands out his is leadership. “That kid is going to be a hell of a recruiter, too.” Pair him with Anthony Hill.

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan: Texas is going to be in a dogfight with the usual suspects for Hill. They need to be on equal footing when it comes to his personal preference based on relationships, the players he wants to sign with, and perceived program trajectory.

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic: Texas will want the last word heading into the dead period, and immediately after his Alabama official visit. If Bama doesn’t push, we like UT’s chances. If Bama does push, it helps with Derek Williams.

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate: This will be a late decision but momentum in Louisiana this summer is there for the taking. On numerous occasions Williams and his mother have already proven their willingness to visit Austin, so it’s likely they’ll return once again during the season which means this allows UT to get two more cracks at the highly-rated pure safety. Williams is a prospect where the holistic university pitch will resonate, so a non-game weekend makes sense in that regard.

Jayden Bonsu, S, Hillside (N.J.) St. Peter’s Prep: Texas needs to get him on campus ASAP to try and make up ground on Ohio State. Bonsu is a bit of a long shot, but Ohio State does have to safeties committed while Texas has none. UT also has some good ties at his school. That helps a coaching staff figure out what makes a player a good program fit and approaching the recruitment with that in mind.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Are we looking at Reed as a guard or a tackle? Cuz I'm not sure I'm loving this "all guards, no tackles" strategy we seem to be taking this year.

edit: lol, nevermind

Don't think he was going to be a LT but he may have been able to stick at RT.

Rivals updated 250 is out and is all over the place.  Here's link and posted notes below in regards to Texas targets/commits/ect.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2023

Owens up 6 spots.

Jackson Arnold up 28 spots (#36 overall).  OU bump.

Jayvon Thomas up 101 spots to #37 overall.  Rivals bump for aggy commits.

Aggy commit Rogers dropped 9 spots.

Cook up 8 spots (should bump him to composite 5*)

Pettaway big jump of 52 spots.

Vasek now #76 overall after not being in the 250 previously.

Braylon Shelby #83 in the nation now 👀

Gullette #86 overall.

Reed #143 overall after not being ranked previously. 

Niblett moved up 61 spots.

Chatman dropped 39 spots.

Wisner dropped 73 spots.

Spencer dropped 90 spots and J. Johnson dropped 20.

Burrell is #237 overall after not being in the 250 previously.

Stroh no longer in 250.

The DE we recently offered from Louisiana, Williams is #250.

Avion Carter dropped over 100 spots.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals updated 250 is out and is all over the place.  Here's link and posted notes below in regards to Texas targets/commits/ect.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2023

Owens up 6 spots.

Jackson Arnold up 28 spots (#36 overall).  OU bump.

Jayvon Thomas up 101 spots to #37 overall.  Rivals bump for aggy commits.

Aggy commit Rogers dropped 9 spots.

Cook up 8 spots (should bump him to composite 5*)

Pettaway big jump of 52 spots.

Vasek now #76 overall after not being in the 250 previously.

Braylon Shelby #83 in the nation now 👀

Gullette #86 overall.

Reed #143 overall after not being ranked previously. 

Niblett moved up 61 spots.

Chatman dropped 39 spots.

Wisner dropped 73 spots.

Spencer dropped 90 spots and J. Johnson dropped 20.

Burrell is #237 overall after not being in the 250 previously.

Stroh no longer in 250.

The DE we recently offered from Louisiana, Williams is #250.

Avion Carter dropped over 100 spots.

I like Vasek, but top 100 in the country is insane. 

What was Dylan Spencer ranked before? The 9.95ers said he has done some really good work in the weightroom this offseason and is in line for a huge year.

Seems like a Johntay commitment is imminent. Gerry’s RPM now an article dedicated to him by Wells. 

Recruiting Notebook - 2023 WR Johntay Cook

Justin Wells•about 14 hours

(Marshall Levenson/On3)

Inside Texas looks at the fit and evaluations for Desoto (Texas) four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook in this edition of the Notebook. 

How he fits at Texas

Cook is a fantastic fit for Steve Sarkisian’s offense. He has game-changing speed and it’s very sudden, he has no trouble changing direction or changing speeds to explode into open space. He’s an obvious deep threat prospect who will do his best work when schemed into opportunities to run double moves by Sarkisian. As a Z-receiver he’d get the most opportunities to be moved around in order to win deep. – Ian Boyd

Coach says

Strengths — Well-proportioned athlete with room to add in upper and lower body. Excellent acceleration off the line with no false steps. Excellent balance with very little deceleration on change of direction. Effective against off, rolled up and press coverages.  Is on the defender quickly. Eye and pad level are excellent on fakes and double moves. Great route runner. Fluid in and out of his cuts and crisp body control. Exceptional change of direction and short-area quickness. Creates separation naturally and obviously well-coached on setting up defenders. Takes advantage of leverage repeatedly. Catching motion starts with soft hands away from his body and secures the ball quickly. Tracks the ball really well and catching motion is compact and quick enough to not give away the ball’s arrival to the defender. Competes for 50/50 balls with good explosion. Runs a variety of pass routes to all depths and zones. Experienced at both outside and inside positions in a well-coordinated and reasonably complex offense.  Will make significant yards after catch and is a threat from anywhere.

Areas for Improvement: — Teammate film on run plays shows very little blocking. Some of this is by design to sell pass. Will need college strength and conditioning. 

How this affects Texas 

Cook has been at the top of UT’s recruiting big board since Steve Sarkisian arrived in Austin. The 6-foot-0 four-star stud has playmaking ability to go along with speed and quickness. With Texas looking at four receivers this cycle, Cook is the priority. Despite the official visits to Ole Miss and Florida, those close to the Metroplex standout say it’s a Texas-Texas A&M battle, with the Longhorns currently holding court. The Arch Manning recruitment is a factor too. – Justin Wells

Cook is the No. 32 overall prospect in the 2023 class, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He ranks as the nation’s No. 6 wide receiver and the No. 4 junior in the state of Texas. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

The Huddle: Updates on multiple four-star prospects

Hudson Standish

("For those needing a nugget of good offensive line news after talking with sources, I'm continuing to grow in confidence in Texas landing priority tackle Jaydon Chatman from Killeen Harker Heights and will probably join Mike's crystal ball from early March in the near future.")

Spoiler

The Huddle: Updates on multiple four-star prospects

Hudson Standish

—One of the Longhorns' biggest targets, and a player Mike and I believe is the best offensive lineman in the state came off the board today in Austin Vandegrift's Ian Reed. When I checked in with a source yesterday on Reed post-visit and post Anna Hickey crystal ball the thought was that Clemson now led but Reed would still take his scheduled official visits. This morning word came in that Reed would be going public with an announcement and the writing was on the wall.

I'd expect Kyle Flood to attempt to run back last year's Kelvin Banks/Big Cam Williams strategy with Reed, staying on the local target throughout the fall and attempting to flip him down the wire. Regardless, the first major target is off the board with an accelerated timeline and we're only one weekend through official visit season. Buckle up, friends.

For those needing a nugget of good offensive line news after talking with sources, I'm continuing to grow in confidence in Texas landing priority tackle Jaydon Chatman from Killeen Harker Heights and will probably join Mike's crystal ball from early March in the near future.

— I've gotten asked a couple of question's about Cy-Ranch EDGE Ashton Porter ahead of an announcement later this week. As Mike put in May and we discussed on the podcast a couple of times, "Texas pushed for a commitment in the spring and Porter stated his intentions to extend his recruitment timeline. At this point, the timing doesn’t seem to match for both sides as Texas is looking at a few other targets." The buzz around Porter centers around Northwestern and I'd be shocked if Texas decided to try and get back in this race. I'm looking forward to the post NSD2 edition of The Stampede for a full breakdown of this recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2022 at 7:39 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Another TE offer.

Has offers from Duke, Cal, Northwestern, and Michigan - don't know if he can play ball but I'm guessing he can play school.

He's now a 4* on Rivals.

Also, Spencer Shannon got a bump on Rivals from 5.5 to 5.7 (highest 3* rating).

Nahlin on OL recruiting

Spoiler

In back to back weeks priority offensive lineman have been struck from UT’s big board. Last week it was Odessa Permian’s Harris Sewell; this week it was Austin Vandegrift’s Ian Reed.

After last year’s recruiting flourish in which Kyle Flood landed five quality offensive lineman within weeks of each other, including a couple of flips, it’s hard to truly write off Sewell and Reed, but Texas won’t likely catch the same breaks this cycle as it did last.

Maybe Nick Saban retires and Dabo Swinney gets tabbed to replace him and Ian Reed doesn’t have the option to follow. That’s unlikely.

Maybe UT’s science departments can design a Truman Show dome over Austin that makes the bustling city look like the Permian Basin for Sewell. Doable, but still unlikely.

Certainly not all is lost. For a couple of reasons, this class was never going to come close to equaling the 2022 haul, but as recruiting fans understand, you have to stack talent on talent year in and year out. This is a good cycle to sign players who will require a bit more development than the Kelvin Banks and Devon Campbells of the world. That’s a good thing, because that’s what the state mostly offers in 2023.

Killeen Harker Heights’ Jaydon Chatman becomes an even more important get because he and Reed both have right tackle ability. Chatman would also likely be the most ready to crack the two-deep early in his career.

Sewell is interior-specific, and even though it’s not like for like, Mansfield Timberview’s Andre Cojoe and Frisco Wakeland’s Connor Stroh are likely destined for the interior too.

All three of Chatman, Cojoe, and Stroh will take official visits on the last weekend of the month. Losing any of the three would be an even tougher pill for Flood to swallow, given Texas has been the favorite each at various points. That wasn’t the case with Sewell or Reed.

Monroe (La.) high four-star Zalance Heard, a likely left tackle, doesn’t really come into play in this discussion but obviously he’s one of the biggest needs in the class, even with Banks looking like a long-term solution at the position. At last check, Heard was also expected in the last weekend of the month, but that wasn’t set in stone.

If Flood landed those four, it would be a good class. But given recent developments, I’m not sure we won’t see another name taken off the board. Maybe A&M with the benefit of having legacy parents wins Stroh over? Obviously there are complications associated with Heard’s recruiting profile and home state.

It’s been a surprise throughout the cycle that Flood doesn’t have more tangible contingencies in the works. Given the possible divergent trajectories of this class — the Arch class and the sans Arch class — you’d think there would already be more options out there, both elite prospects if they land Arch, and more developmental prospects in the event they don’t. Besides Pike Road (Ala.) guard Vysen Lang and perhaps Melissa offensive tackle Trevor Goosby, who was supposed to visit for the spring game before committing to TCU, there doesn’t seem to be a ton of off-the-radar names out there.

Again, I couldn’t be less concerned, but it’s important to chronicle the current state of affairs, and what looks like an increasingly thinner margin of error at the position.

Wells on weekend visitors

Spoiler

Inside Texas offers the latest intel on Texas targets and recruiting visitors headed to Austin this weekend, including Spencer Shannon, Micah Hudson, Jordon Johnson-Rubell, Freddie Dubose Jr., and Deion Deblanc. 

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
After official trips to UCLA and Washington, the 6-foot-7, 230-pounder is ready to see Austin again. 

“Just hoping to further define what (Texas) sees as my role in the future,” said Shannon. “More though looking forward to getting to meet the guys and get a feel for the vibe and culture of the team.”

The Longhorns are big fans of the big tight end, and after this trip, he’ll be looking to make a decision. 

“No specifics on a timeline,” said Shannon. “This is my last scheduled official. My plan is to come home and take a few days to analyze everything and hopefully have a strong feeling in one direction. I would prefer to be decided prior to season to allow me to focus exclusively on MD football and my senior season. However, I also want to be solid in my decision.”

Shannon came to high school as a baseball prospect, so he never prepared to become an early enrollee. Texas wants two tight ends in the 2023 cycle, and it appears Shannon could be a prime target, along with Isidore Newman (La.) New Orleans TE Will Randle. This one could be over fairly quickly. 

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton – 2024
It appears the state’s top-rated 2024 receiver will finally make that long drive down I-35 from Temple to Austin for his first peek at the Longhorns, our Eric Nahlin reported this morning. 

Hudson holds offers from virtually everywhere – Ohio State, LSU, Oregon, and Alabama – and has yet to establish a leader or favorite program. It’s still early, but Brennan Marion needs to put this relationship in drive, preferably in Bijan Robinson’s Lambo. 

Freddie Dubose, WR, Schertz (Texas) Clemens – 2024
The freaky athlete from the San Antonio area will be back on campus after attending UT’s junior day in late February and the spring game in late April. Dubose picked up an unexpected offer from the Horns during his first trip and is eager to see the city of Austin once again.  

“Pretty much, you know, just building more bonds and of course hanging with the other top 2024 recruits,” said Dubose. 

After a stop in College Station on Thursday, Dubose is hitting the Forty Acres on Saturday. Texas and Steve Sarkisian are partial to speed and Dubose has it, running a 22.47 200m in March, and triple jumping 46-9 as a freshman in Spring 2021. 

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy – 2024
The former Fort Worth (Texas) Brewer standout is making his rounds back home in Texas. After a weekend in College Station, he’ll be in Austin on Saturday. 

“Just building a relationship (with the Texas staff) is the most important thing this trip and seeing how they coach,” said Johnson-Rubell. 

The list of programs in pursuit of the IMG Academy athlete grows by the day, 

“Oregon, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M , Baylor, Arkansas, Arizona State, and LSU,” said Johnson-Rubell.

Deion Deblanc, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower – 2025
More speed? More speed. Deblanc was productive at the 6A level his freshman year, recording a 10.98 verified 100m time in 8th grade. He is also already repping 405 on squat.

“Really just the environment, the energy at the camps and how the coaches treat me,” said Deblanc. “It’s good but really can’t expect much because I’m going into my sophomore year. But it’s okay right now since Ryan Niblett committed there. Now they’re on my radar. “

Texas adding Niblett in the 2023 cycle really caught the attention of Deblanc. They join Texas A&M, Florida, and Oklahoma as the most connected to the rising sophomore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle tight end Duce Robinson has been at the top of the board when it comes to tight ends in the 2023 class for quite some time.

The 6-foot-6, 230-pounder is the No. 17 overall prospect in the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He ranks as the nation’s No. 1 tight end and is also the top player in the state of Arizona this cycle.

Numerous national programs are in pursuit of the five-star out of Pinnacle High and a new one has entered the race.

“I have been talking to coach Banks a lot lately and I am going to try and take a visit to Texas over the summer,” Robinson told On3.

Robinson first visited Texas last summer. He has family in Austin, he has remained in contact with coach Banks, and he is eyeing a return trip to learn more about the Longhorns.

“When I was there last year, I liked it. Coach Banks and I stayed in communication the whole time. He came out to check on me twice this spring and out relationship is really going strong now.

“I am not sure of a date yet, but we have talked about the weekend of June 24-26 or that last weekend in July when things open up again for an official visit. I am definitely interested in getting back out there.”

Steve Sarkisian’s offense is one thing that attracts Robinson to Texas. The two were on the phone again Wednesday and the No. 1 prospect in Arizona is high on the Texas head coach.

“Coach Sark is a cool guy and he is one of the top offensive minds in college football. I am ready to see what he and his team does this season. He has an explosive offense and they signed some good players. Then they got a ton of transfers, so they could be ready to do some nice things.”

Robinson has his eye on Arch Manning

The Texas offense and how the team looks with the updated roster are not the only things Robinson has his eye on. He is also watch the recruitment of Five-star Plus+ quarterback Arch Manning.

“How could you not be watching that,” Robinson said. “It is hard not to keep up with a player like that. Then, we have a relationships too, so it would be cool to go to school with a player like that.

“To go to college with someone you know, someone you have a relationship with, and a quarterback like Arch, that would be throwing me the ball would be great. I am interested in where he goes like everyone else.”

Robinson and Manning met initially last summer on a visit to Georgia. Then they were at Clemson for a game together in the fall and their relationship has really grown from that point.

A decision from Manning could come before Robinson makes his. Manning visited Georgia last weekend and he will be at Alabama and Texas the next two weekends. Many feel a decision will come later this summer.

Robinson does not expect to make his at that time.

“I am looking to commit now later in the season, maybe even after it. I have to make sure I am 100% before I commit to anyone. So right now, I know I will take my official visit to USC this month (June 17-19), then try to get to Texas this summer too.

“During the season, I want to take official visits to Georgia and Alabama. Then see how I feel. I want to see everywhere and everything I need to see before I commit.”

19 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

5 TDs in the Spring Game?!? Holy fuck, let's sign this kid up!!! That's just incredible. I've never heard of somebody throwing 5 TDs in a scrimmage where the QB can't be touched. Especially not at the high school level!

Are you sure? I don't even know if we have room. What do the numbers look like?

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Why isn't he ranked higher - 6'3" and runs the 200M? I assume he is in a running offense with a not so great QB so he doesn't have a lot of catches.

I don't think his athleticism blows anyone away - most of the big programs are keeping him on the back burner in case their priorities go elsewhere.

• Like 1