Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Arch can become a legendary figure in the sport if he has success at Texas. If instead he has success at Georgia, he will just be another name on the wall. That’s because Texas is a bigger brand than Georgia in the grand scheme of the sport.  Sorry Georgia. That’s just the way it is. Arch, your move. 

My tree fiddy - 

- I believe his most important consideration(s) will be a staff's ability to get him prepared for the NFL (and get him drafted high).  Whichever program has a materially higher ability to do that, has the advantage.

- In a vacuum, I'm sure he would like to be the driving force behind revitalizing the Texas brand.  And NIL matters.  So does lifestyle, Austin, etc. ... the question is how much.  In a Texas/Georgia scenario where the two staff's abilities to develop for the NFL are at parity, one or more of these other factors could tip the scales.  But if he perceives one staff to be clearly superior at NFL development, I think that staff will win out. (That also assumes he's confident that staff will be around ... )

- Our Texas centric view sometimes makes us believe that becoming the guy to lead Texas back to top would really matter ... I'm sure it would to some, but even several high profile Texas kids go to out of state schools.  Not sure it would be the overriding consideration for many out of state kids (or at least, a big enough deal to compromise on factors such as NFL development).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, quigley said:

https://www.baylor.edu/studentactivities/index.php?id=943397

If Baylor didn't have a Greek scene, it would strengthen my point.

I don’t have any idea what your point is. I know there are fraternities and sororities at Baylor, I said there or no fraternity or sorority houses on campus, because they are forbidden by the university. As a result, the Greek scene at Baylor isn’t necessarily notable, and certainly not a reason to compare Baylor to US-fucking-C. And before you comment again on Baylor, I’ve lived in the Waco area since 1985 and dealt professionally with the university in that time, and socially with many friends, several who’ve been members of BU frats and sororities. I know all about Baylor, too fucking much.

Sorry for the interruption, back to recruiting.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Arch can become a legendary figure in the sport if he has success at Texas. If instead he has success at Georgia, he will just be another name on the wall. That’s because Texas is a bigger brand than Georgia in the grand scheme of the sport.  Sorry Georgia. That’s just the way it is. Arch, your move. 

I wonder how many recruits who came to texas over the last dozen years believed this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

23 minutes ago, futureman said:

no, it hasn’t. you’re crazy if you don’t think he’d trade driving a lambo for a year for a ring. 

legit laughed out loud at how stupid this is. None of these guys care about winning anymore.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

legit laughed out loud at how stupid this is. None of these guys care about winning anymore.

so you think if you asked bijan today if he’d rather keep driving lambo and go 5-7 again in 2022 or give up lambo and go 15-0 in 2022 he’d pick the former?

• Fuck You 3

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

so you think if you asked bijan today if he’d rather keep driving lambo and go 5-7 again in 2022 or give up lambo and go 15-0 in 2022 he’d pick the former?

Bijan gets a lambo regardless of where he plays school. Bijan wants the lambo more than he wants the ring, just like he wants to get drafted more than he wants a ring. The end goal is to win super bowls not stupid NCAA national championships.

Bijan gets a lambo regardless of where he plays school. Bijan wants the lambo more than he wants the ring, just like he wants to get drafted more than he wants a ring. The end goal is to win super bowls not stupid NCAA national championships.

Is this where futureman finds out that the average message board poster cares WAAAAY more about the sport (any sport) than your average collegiate athlete?

I’m friends with a friend of a first round MLB draft pick who, at the time, couldn’t name a single player on the team he was drafted onto. For a shocking number of guys, sports is nothing more than a pathway to a lucrative payday.
  • Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, immamac said:

NIL and getting drafted all rely on one thing, that is being highly productive. Individual goals don’t have to conflict with team goals, they can align nicely. I’ll bet most Bama kids have the same goal. Get drafted early and grab some NIL, that is goal for the vast majority of blue blood recruits. Every player wants to win. I don’t care what the source of the motivation is, just that they have the drive to get it. Being lazy and expecting big NIL checks and to be drafted has been the problem. It isn’t being solely focused on goals. Even Quandre said that. He said when he was at Texas the goal was to get to league as fast as possible and get some cash. He thought too many were worried about the nonsense. It’s how dedicated you are to your goals that really matter 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This is a stupid argument. 

Vince Young would never in 1000 years trade his National Championship for a year of driving a Lambo. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

NIL and getting drafted all rely on one thing, that is being highly productive. Individual goals don’t have to conflict with team goals, they can align nicely. I’ll bet most Bama kids have the same goal. Get drafted early and grab some NIL, that is goal for the vast majority of blue blood recruits. Every player wants to win. I don’t care what the source of the motivation is, just that they have the drive to get it. Being lazy and expecting big NIL checks and to be drafted has been the problem. It isn’t being solely focused on goals. Even Quandre said that. He said when he was at Texas the goal was to get to league as fast as possible and get some cash. He thought too many were worried about the nonsense. It’s how dedicated you are to your goals that really matter 

Maybe all that and what imma said is why we've sucked shit for the past 12 years.

34 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

This is a stupid argument. 

Vince Young would never in 1000 years trade his National Championship for a year of driving a Lambo. 

Prior to winning the national championship, I'll bet 20 year-old Vince Young would have traded a year of driving a Lambo + 1 million+ dollars for the CHANCE of winning the national championship, which is the actual decision he would have been faced with.

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Yep.  Hate to break it to the other boys in the thread, but all of our players don't hate ou and aggy either.  It's just business.  You said in another post that "players want to win super bowls" and while that is true, money comes first and that's ok.

I work for a company.  I want us to do well. I also don't hate our #1 competitor.  I'd like to think I contribute to us doing well, but pay me.

Edited by closetohumping

24 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  Hate to break it to the other boys in the thread, but all of our players don't hate ou and aggy either.  It's just business.  You said in another post that "players want to win super bowls" and while that is true, money comes first and that's ok.

I work for a company.  I want us to do well. I also don't hate our #1 competitor.  I'd like to think I contribute to us doing well, but pay me.

I don’t know about the not hating OU thing. Aggy maybe not but looking at the NFL guys post during OU week, they care quite a bit about that game

My tree fiddy - 
- I believe his most important consideration(s) will be a staff's ability to get him prepared for the NFL (and get him drafted high).  Whichever program has a materially higher ability to do that, has the advantage.
- In a vacuum, I'm sure he would like to be the driving force behind revitalizing the Texas brand.  And NIL matters.  So does lifestyle, Austin, etc. ... the question is how much.  In a Texas/Georgia scenario where the two staff's abilities to develop for the NFL are at parity, one or more of these other factors could tip the scales.  But if he perceives one staff to be clearly superior at NFL development, I think that staff will win out. (That also assumes he's confident that staff will be around ... )
- Our Texas centric view sometimes makes us believe that becoming the guy to lead Texas back to top would really matter ... I'm sure it would to some, but even several high profile Texas kids go to out of state schools.  Not sure it would be the overriding consideration for many out of state kids (or at least, a big enough deal to compromise on factors such as NFL development).

Everyone seems to forget he has one free transfer/play immediately card to play no matter who he commits to initially. This plays in our favor since it lessens the importance of waiting to see how things shake out for us this season vs how Georgia does.

Funny Colton Vasek is on my flight from Atl to Austin. I know this as he’s wearing his official visitor name tag from wherever he was this weekend. 
He’s skinny. Tall, fit. Looks like a swimmer. 
edit There were two boys in group, the skinniest one had on name tag, so it could be a younger Brother. 

Edited by BrazilHorn

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Funny Colton Vasek is on my flight from Atl to Austin. I know this as he’s wearing his official visitor name tag from wherever he was this weekend. 
He’s skinny. Tall, fit. Looks like a swimmer. 
edit There were two boys in group, the skinniest one had on name tag, so it could be a younger Brother. 

Clemson OV.  247 shows he's doing a mid-week OV to Texas, June 14th.

UGA 247, on Arch Manning and Jalen Hale.

Spoiler

UGA 247 (Rusty Mansell)

Arch Manning and his father Cooper were in town and they met with UGA staff over the 2.5 days. This trip was more about seeing the fit in Athens for Arch, should he choose UGA in the end. He has been in town multiple times, so he has done all of the visits. He did the stadium dinner on Friday night with the photo shoot with others. On Sunday they met with Kirby Smart , I am told it was  almost an hour conversation. Georgia is in it, they have been in it the Bulldogs have as good as chance as anyone. I do expect him to visit Alabama next weekend, then Texas to end the month. That will be a big visit as well with him.

One player that I think UGA made some really good ground with is WR Jalen Hale from Texas. He and his family really enjoyed Athens and their visit according to multiple sources, they are clear there is an opportunity to play early in Athens. I am curious what I hear after a few days, but this visit went well.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Reveal hidden contents

UGA 247 (Rusty Mansell)

Arch Manning and his father Cooper were in town and they met with UGA staff over the 2.5 days. This trip was more about seeing the fit in Athens for Arch, should he choose UGA in the end. He has been in town multiple times, so he has done all of the visits. He did the stadium dinner on Friday night with the photo shoot with others. On Sunday they met with Kirby Smart , I am told it was  almost an hour conversation. Georgia is in it, they have been in it the Bulldogs have as good as chance as anyone. I do expect him to visit Alabama next weekend, then Texas to end the month. That will be a big visit as well with him.

One player that I think UGA made some really good ground with is WR Jalen Hale from Texas. He and his family really enjoyed Athens and their visit according to multiple sources, they are clear there is an opportunity to play early in Athens. I am curious what I hear after a few days, but this visit went well.

Hour long convo was probably asking why he picked Fromm over Eason and Fields

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

UGA 247 (Rusty Mansell)

This seems like extraordinarily good news. Either that is the most chill 995er in the history of 995, or dude was struggling to find positives from a 2.5 day trip to Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

This seems like extraordinarily good news. Either that is the most chill 995er in the history of 995, or dude was struggling to find positives from a 2.5 day trip to Georgia.

I think most of the 995 groups out there aren’t like ours and the Aggies. But I could be mistaken. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White