Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, it will cost a lot but one would have to assume that the better players will stay and the lesser ones will be the guys who transfer.

Not sure that’s always going to be the case. The way things are set up now a top player can look at college as a 2 “contract” deal. Initial commitment deal. And then a portal deal.

33 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I thought the scuttlebutt was that A&M wouldn't be able to bag drop as effectively this cycle. That CB recruiting class doesn't suggest that. 

There won't be (m)any bags dropping. They're going to be doing NIL deals that withstand review in the light of day. They'll of course be the same things they've done in the past, but just like everybody else, they're figuring out that they can do what they want going forward without the dark market.

Will uncles get paid? Yes, but everything on the uncle front is under attack right now too. It's going to be interesting to see how they hang on or fight back in some form. 

Will they be talking about their "NIL" deals for each recruit and their handlers/parents when they push for commitments? Yes. "It's illegal though!" No one gives a shit about a rule that is unenforceable. Every school is going to sit down with every recruit and layout their money layer cake when they're on campus. 

ATM is going to get guys. They're not as well-heeled as Texas and they don't have the corporate stacking that Austin provides, but they've got more money for this right now than virtually anyone else. Ryan Day and Nick Saban begging their bases to truly pony up is a reaction to the Texas schools, Oregon, USC, and Miami, as well as what they know Georgia's about to bring. Saban is fucked, but OSU will have their money right. Alabama was flatly shocked at how irrelevant they were in the Addison transfer and with multiple guys that ATM bought. They're still flat-footed because they don't have the money that Saban is coming to a conclusion that he's going to need.

One of the only things I've incorrectly predicted about NIL and the bag game at this point is that it is all happening way faster than I figured, and I figured it faster than most. You guys on this board, as your post here implies, haven't understood what this NIL shit was going to do to the black markets at any point, all the way to the point of ignorant obstinance and insistence that that would remain the pervasive approach to winning in recruiting long into the future. Nope. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There won't be (m)any bags dropping. They're going to be doing NIL deals that withstand review in the light of day. They'll of course be the same things they've done in the past, but just like everybody else, they're figuring out that they can do what they want going forward without the dark market.

Will uncles get paid? Yes, but everything on the uncle front is under attack right now too. It's going to be interesting to see how they hang on or fight back in some form. 

Will they be talking about their "NIL" deals for each recruit and their handlers/parents when they push for commitments? Yes. "It's illegal though!" No one gives a shit about a rule that is unenforceable. Every school is going to sit down with every recruit and layout their money layer cake when they're on campus. 

ATM is going to get guys. They're not as well-heeled as Texas and they don't have the corporate stacking that Austin provides, but they've got more money for this right now than virtually anyone else. Ryan Day and Nick Saban begging their bases to truly pony up is a reaction to the Texas schools, Oregon, USC, and Miami, as well as what they know Georgia's about to bring. Saban is fucked, but OSU will have their money right. Alabama was flatly shocked at how irrelevant they were in the Addison transfer and with multiple guys that ATM bought. They're still flat-footed because they don't have the money that Saban is coming to a conclusion that he's going to need.

One of the only things I've incorrectly predicted about NIL and the bag game at this point is that it is all happening way faster than I figured, and I figured it faster than most. You guys on this board, as your post here implies, haven't understood what this NIL shit was going to do to the black markets at any point, all the way to the point of ignorant obstinance and insistence that that would remain the pervasive approach to winning in recruiting long into the future. Nope. 

Reading this makes me think Saban might opt for the Roy Williams/Coach K retirement route, knowing that Bama won’t be able to keep up in this new era. The funding available in Alabama post-NIL doesn’t seem like it can maintain the competitive advantage in acquiring talent that Saban has enjoyed there. 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I assumed their NIL stuff was bullshit and that the black market was going to die off as their main weapon because of NIL, ergo A&M would not be able to do what they did last year. If they actually have the NIL stuff going, good for them. Just didn’t think we’d lose guys because of money whipping anymore, that’s all, and that list of cornerbacks are a bunch of guys that would count as us losing, no?

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are Don Quixote on this stuff. When people question NIL vs Bags what they are really asking is when will Texas gain the upper hand over A&M. They  really don’t care about the mechanics of it, despite their words. They just want you to say it will get better and the sun will come out tomorrow

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's probably a little bit of funny business still attached to these efforts, but there's also just as likely the kind of banal naivete derived from the processes of simple minds. ATM's methods of locking guys up and having those guys shut everything down has worked in the past, so it will work in the future, right? We'll see. Kids and parents shutting everyone else from getting a chance to pitch means that someone got bought, cash/thumbdrive in hand, on the visit. Tough to overcome, but also a random absurdity that turns a blind eye to the new era. 

For the most part, ATM can offer a very rich "NIL" premise, early playing time, and the notion that they're a program on the brink of being the next Alabama due to the class stacking. So, yeah, they're winning early in this cycle, but I don't see it as on par with what they did last year. I see it as on par with what we did last year with the OL class.

I don't think I'm tilting at windmills. I ignore 50 of the NIL questions that pop up and answer one, and that's usually to help move along the understanding of the landscape, as I know it and as it shifts beneath our feet. So, no, I don't think it's all as reductive as you do, but I don't disagree that that's part of every question. The bottom line is that the only thing that makes anything better for Texas from here is winning on the field. Sarkisian has all of the NIL help he needs, and he knows that. So, if Sarklostagain can put 9+ wins on the board this season while the offense dazzles and the defense appears to occasionally have a clue, things get better. 

That considered, those things happening and Manning committing to Texas means that things could get a whole lot better, real fast. 

Meanwhile, sure, I've said it already, ATM's class and the program they're "building" has what I think is a foundation built on sand. Fisher runs a mercenary program and always has. He's like a legitimate fucking villain for the sport, which I think is fun. If they win a bunch of games, things are fine. Switzer did it. Jimmy Johnson did it. If they don't win a bunch of games, the fissures become chasms.

Multiple guys that they just signed think that they should be day one starters. There are currently 3 QBs on campus who have each been told that they're going to be starting in 2022. Let's see what happens if Evan Stewart gets no more than 5 targets a game for the first month of the season. Marshall has ... issues and I want to see how interested he winds up being in playing both football and school when he isn't seeing the field for most of the season. I already mentioned that Nolan's crew wants more money. Denver Harris' mom and "stepdad" need to keep getting paid whether Harris is getting much done or not. The Anderson's feel like they got played for not having a hand out. The list is pretty lengthy in terms of all of the mouths that need to be fed from a group of people who have never taken a fucking snap of CFB yet.

I totally agree on Manning. It is the stamp of credibility that Texas desperately needs more than the next hot shot QB. This is a huge season for the program. Don’t get me wrong NIL will be important,  but Sark and Co need to deliver something that can be sold. If he doesn’t the Program is going to continue to walk up the wrong the way on the escalator 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Don't tell @SydneyCarton that Miami is out in front of Illinois on this NIL deal.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OVing this weekend.  A 3* LB from Georgia would be a 4* in Texas right?

https://247sports.com/player/jalen-smith-46128318/

I was looking at the link and it stated that we have 16 linebackers: I can only name Ford and Overshown but I know we got some new guy from up north somewhere. Are all of the other 13 guys walk-ons from Lake Travis?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was looking at the link and it stated that we have 16 linebackers: I can only name Ford and Overshown but I know we got some new guy from up north somewhere. Are all of the other 13 guys walk-ons from Lake Travis?

Basically 247 is overcounting the linebackers we have on the roster. For example, it includes Jake Ehlinger, Ray Thornton, Ben Davis, and guys that recently transferred like Hullaby and Tillman. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I mean you can just tag @Barbacoa

Late night Huddle: notes on a pair of defensive line targets, Spencer Shannon’s fit at Texas

Hudson Standish

(If you want Kool-Aid on Shannon and tight end recruiting, Standish-es it out ... )

Spoiler

Late night Huddle: notes on a pair of defensive line targets, Spencer Shannon’s fit at Texas

Hudson Standish

— I had a productive conversation with Shreveport (LA) Northwood high’s Ta’Derius “Tootie” Collins earlier today before Spencer Shannon’s commitment to Texas. The 6-foot-4 athlete told me that Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis actually just followed him on twitter today and reached out with the good news that he loved Collins’ film and wanted to extend an offer his way.

Collins’ head is understandably spinning at the moment with all of the new interest coming his way and he said he’d ideally like to visit Texas next weekend but he’s not totally sure on the logistics of getting to Austin at the moment. This weekend he’ll go on a previously schedule official visit to Indiana and could make a return trip to TCU for an official visit before the season starts. I’ll have more from Collins tomorrow including his reaction to his Texas offer.

— I checked in with a couple sources on Wylie East 2023 defensive lineman Anthony James following a Friday visit to Austin. The visit seemed to go well but from the jump I’ve maintained that I’m not sure how hard Texas would push for the former Texas A&M commit and that has remained the case. I did hear however that ahead of an official visit to Auburn this weekend, the Tigers look to be the school trending for James’ services at the moment. 

— Lastly I mentioned this in the comments of a couple different articles on Horns247’s informal “Spencer Shannon” day (at least five content pieces discussing the Mater Dei prospect from Crystal Ball predictions to post visit quotes to commitment story/quotes) that Shannon is extra valuable for Texas because of his fit as a “Y” in-line tight end.

In Steve Sarkisian’s offense the Y is the tight end that typically stays on the field during 11 personnel and is attached to the line of scrimmage next to a tackle. Shannon’s high level for reps at Mater Dei showcase his already great blocking ability and he has flashed enough during 7on7 where I believe there is significant receiving potential as well.

To put it plainly, Shannon is going to arrive on campus with the toolset to block on a power five level from day one and has the receiving potential with his frame/measurables to wind up becoming an NFL draft selection. Most tight ends that have come through the Texas program over the past ten years or so either had a significantly lower floor than Shannon or their athletic profile limited their ceiling.

I’ve been extremely excited about Shannon since Mike and I ran into him just before his offer during the spring game and if you’ve been listening to the State of Recruiting podcast, know that I think in a year or two he could end up being a major weapon in both the blocking and receiving game.

One last nugget: Don’t be surprised if Texas looks to take three tight ends in this cycle if they grab Arch Manning and look good during the season. Will Randle would factor in to that equation, as would a couple of nationally elite circle back candidates that we’re starting to hear more buzz around.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Gerry

Terrance Green and Texas

On3 Consensus 4-star defensive lineman Terrance Green is looking at making an unofficial visit to Texas June 21. On3 spoke with the 6-foot-5, 275-pounder Monday afternoon. He relayed that finding the date for him and his mom is they key. That’s looking like a week from today. Green made an official visit to Michigan State last weekend, and will be at USC and Oregon officially the next two weekends. The Longhorns have some time to play with as Green told On3 that a decision is not expected until right around the first game of the season. That is subject to change, of course.

Markis Deal talks to Sark

On3 Consensus 4-star Markis Dealspoke with Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian Monday per a source close to the Naaman Forest program. The 6-foot-4, 285-pounder not setting up a June official visit to Texas raised some eye brows, to say the least. Per our source, Deal told Sarkisian that the Longhorns would get the last visit before a decision is made. Inside Texas will continue to monitor that. That does line up with what a second source close to the recruitment said last week. The info relayed was that TCU, Arkansas, Texas, Georgia, USC and maybe Auburn remained in the hunt. A Georgia unofficial visit happens this week, followed by a USC official visit June 17-19. Arkansas is scheduled for June 24. If that holds, that means Texas wouldn’t get a visit until August. 

Colton Vasek official visit primer

On3 Consensus 4-star EDGE Colton Vasek will make an official visit to Texas Wednesday and Thursday before hopping on a flight to Oregon for a weekend official visit. Clemson and Oklahoma hosted Vasek and family on official visits the last two weekends. Texas Tech remains in the picture as the fifth and final school. Inside Texas expects Vasek to make a decision prior to Westlake’s first practice of the season. The newness of the process has worn off, and the stressfulness of the decision making process is beginning to sink in. The Longhorns turned up the heat on Vasek in April, and now must prove that he is a key piece to the 2023 puzzle.

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Meanwhile, sure, I've said it already, ATM's class and the program they're "building" has what I think is a foundation built on sand. Fisher runs a mercenary program and always has. He's like a legitimate fucking villain for the sport, which I think is fun. If they win a bunch of games, things are fine. Switzer did it. Jimmy Johnson did it. If they don't win a bunch of games, the fissures become chasms.

They are literally the other end of the spectrum from Clemson in this regard.

re: Switzer and Jimmy Johnson...Switzer never lost more than 4 games in his career at OU - lost 4 82 an 83 and followed that up with 9-2-1, 11-1, 11-1, 11-1 the next 4 seasons. Jimmy went 8-5 at Miami, then 10-2, 11-1, 12-0, 11-1. I think the big difference there is that players LOVED Jimmy Johnson. I was always under the impression that Switzer was a players coach at OU, but not 100% sure on that front - he was with the Cowboys which was part of the issue there.

I don't think anyone feels as much love for Jimbo as they did for Switzer and Jimmy.

Without the love for the coach, without competing for national championships - even if they win games they are going to have chasms that open up due to playing time, being thousands of miles away from home, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

They are literally the other end of the spectrum from Clemson in this regard.

re: Switzer and Jimmy Johnson...Switzer never lost more than 4 games in his career at OU - lost 4 82 an 83 and followed that up with 9-2-1, 11-1, 11-1, 11-1 the next 4 seasons. Jimmy went 8-5 at Miami, then 10-2, 11-1, 12-0, 11-1. I think the big difference there is that players LOVED Jimmy Johnson. I was always under the impression that Switzer was a players coach at OU, but not 100% sure on that front - he was with the Cowboys which was part of the issue there.

I don't think anyone feels as much love for Jimbo as they did for Switzer and Jimmy.

Without the love for the coach, without competing for national championships - even if they win games they are going to have chasms that open up due to playing time, being thousands of miles away from home, etc.

image.png.e96f276881570d9b46d3a0f05bfb98c7.png

Quite the tail off...outside of covid season his last season at FSU he's been above average.

image.png.e96f276881570d9b46d3a0f05bfb98c7.png

Quite the tail off...outside of covid season his last season at FSU he's been above average.

I think that was the point being made. He can put together a string of mercenary classes, but he can’t sustain it. The real question would be how long it takes him to reassemble a new set of mercs. Would it just be one miserable year like his last at FSU, or would it take 2+ years? Because these days I think you only get one down year before getting the boot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

App State and Miami in non conference could be interesting especially early in the season.

Could be another 4-5 loss season looking at their schedule.

Their QB situation being what it is, they are going to have to grind out every game. 

12 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think that was the point being made. He can put together a string of mercenary classes, but he can’t sustain it. The real question would be how long it takes him to reassemble a new set of mercs. Would it just be one miserable year like his last at FSU, or would it take 2+ years? Because these days I think you only get one down year before getting the boot.

image.thumb.png.30b87fb7bc66f934a2cbbc012270164e.png