Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

To be fair, Nahlin and Wells have always been the ones that are optimistic on Arch. Gerry has always been hesitant. This is nothing new.

I don't think Gerry is being overly cautious. He said if we had won 7 games last year, this recruitment would be over. Since we didn't, we are having to fight more. That is not new information. I personally think Bama has been woefully overconfident on Manning from the jump, and every time he visits media people start saying they lead. Nothing has changed, he is coming this weekend for his official, and we are in a good spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think Gerry is being overly cautious. He said if we had won 7 games last year, this recruitment would be over. Since we didn't, we are having to fight more. That is not new information. I personally think Bama has been woefully overconfident on Manning from the jump, and every time he visits media people start saying they lead. Nothing has changed, he is coming this weekend for his official, and we are in a good spot. 

On Bama 247, Hank South's update was much more cautious about Bama's chances.  Update and note from thread, below.

Spoiler

BOL Insider: What we're hearing on Arch Manning's Alabama visit

Hank South

There are still plenty of interviews and news to come from Alabama’s massive official visitors weekend, but here we’ll focus on the headline prospect on campus in terms of ranking: Arch Manning. The five-star quarterback, rated the No. 1 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, took his fourth overall visit to Tuscaloosa this weekend, this time as an official. Reaching out to sources throughout the weekend, it was said to have been a success.

The Manning family arrived on Friday night after a 7on7 tournament and got the full red-carpet treatment. We’re told Manning had a “really fun” experience on campus. The five-star QB isn’t going to speak on visits until his trio of officials is wrapped up. He was at Georgia last weekend, Alabama this past weekend, and will wrap things up at Texas this upcoming weekend. But one thing that was uncovered on his trip to Tuscaloosa is that Bama is still very much in play.

That much should be clear since he took an official visit, but many onlookers have assumed (myself included at times) that Bama is probably running closer to three than one since landing Eli Holstein, with Georiga and Texas ahead. From talking to sources this weekend, I’m going to put a pause on that assumption and let everything play out. “Bama is in it more than people think,” one source said. We already know the Tide is intent on adding another quarterback to go with Holstein, and Manning is the prime target. I’m not projecting Bama for Manning by any means at this point, just noting that he is a quarterback to continue tracking closely (along with Dylan Lonergan who set his announcement date for July 5). Holstein was also on campus this weekend helping UA recruit. Stay tuned to BOL for more coming out of the weekend.

image.thumb.png.7f75795f70c05dbf6427a139278ea75e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

My thought is that none of the 9.95ers, Gerry included, have a clue what Arch is thinking. Not a molecule. I think he's keeping the discussion very close to the vest and keeping council with only a couple of people and that none of them have said a word.

We have a pretty good idea as to the appeal of each to Arch, and whom in his camp are advocating for each destination. To South's point, there are advocates for all three. The unknown is more a reflection of us than a reflection of him, imo.

I agree with others here that he was still relatively undecided heading into OVs, and Texas' miniscule perceived lead is still mostly intact. What these visits will not answer for him is the total makeup of our '23 class and Sark's W/L trajectory. If he commits anywhere before those questions are answered, we're really only looking for one data point on Arch. Risk tolerance. And GOOD LUCK capturing that from a 17yo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

We have some momentum now, but once the season starts it will be hard to overcome early losses to Bama and OU and the 6-6/7-5 trajectory while UGA will consistently be ranked in the top-5. 

Sounds kinda aggy,  but we can overcome losses to Bama and Oklahoma depending on what the losses look like. 
I think the family understands where Texas is an can tell if we are improving enough.

Edited by Laga4

10 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Sounds kinda aggy,  but we can overcome losses to Bama and Oklahoma depending on what the losses look like. 
I think the family understands where Texas is an can tell if we are improving enough.

Yah, I don't think that Arch and Family Manning are under the impression that Texas is already at a place where the expectation is to beat Oklahoma, and damn near, if not, beat Bama also. I think that's one of the attractive things about Texas, that it's a place where Arch can go to create his own legacy.

Edited by UncleBuck

If Arch is coming to Texas no way he waits because, of the other two schools, his early commitment here is much more impactful to the rest of the class.  He can always commit here and if we shit the bed this season switch to either of the other anytime he wants.   The other two schools will be top 5 without Arch.  Texas only possibly to top 5 is with Arch summer commitment.  

On 7/30/2021 at 1:31 PM, texifornia said:

this kid’s dad was on the ticket today for two segments. nothing groundbreaking but he did say they are pretty close to cooper and arch. so fortunately I was able to read between the lines and basically we are getting him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nuge said:

Why are people already penciling in a loss against Oklahoma? 

Fuck that.  We're going to curb stomp those fuckstains.

They lost their entire starting offense almost in the portal, I think they are setting up nicely for us to whip their ass. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yup. And that kid who Bielema booted from his Arkansas OV. And that DL Strong sent home from his OV after he and his uncle ditched to go to the strip club.

Well, you know, I don't think there's nothing wrong with going to the scrip club

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jebus said:

Has any $9.95er, for any school, at any time in history, ever described an official visit as going poorly?

Neto actually had a pretty bad official visit the Kansas game weekend, but NIL and Coach Gilbert saved that recruitment down the stretch. 

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

that DL Strong sent home from his OV after he and his uncle ditched to go to the strip club.

Louis Brown, he was a DE/OLB. If I’m remembering correctly, he was actually committed to us when he made that OV, Strong kicked him out and then he decommitted.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, futureman said:

this kid’s dad was on the ticket today for two segments. nothing groundbreaking but he did say they are pretty close to cooper and arch. so fortunately I was able to read between the lines and basically we are getting him. 

oh his dad also said baseball is important. he’s a center fielder and has the chance to be a high pick next summer but it sounded like he wants to play football and baseball in college. so we are in a good position there. 

• Drool 2

Colton Vasek official visit update

Hudson Standish

Dog Looking Good GIF by Apawture Studios Pet Photography

Spoiler

Colton Vasek official visit update

Hudson Standish

Ahead of this weekend’s Arch Manning headlined official visit weekend, Texas is hosting one of the more important prospects on the defensive side of the ball in Austin Westlake 2023 edge rusher Colton Vasek.

Before I share the intel I’ve gathered from this midweek official so far, I do want to make it clear that Texas pursuing Vasek like the top priority he is on their board. I’ve seen a lot of comments of people assuming that Texas isn’t fully committed to pursuing Vasek or isn’t recruiting him as heavily as other schools which hasn’t been the case for months and wanted to make sure that was cleared up.

With that being said, because of some miscommunication early in the process Texas is fighting from behind in this recruitment when the Horns should have been setting the pace from the jump. Oregon has been the school I have heard the most buzz around with Oklahoma and Clemson in the next tier.

With Vasek’s Westlake ties and his father and position coach Brian having played at Texas, the Horns have always stayed in the mix and after an in-depth conversation with defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski during the Spring we started to get more confidence about Vasek and Texas.

As Mike mentioned yesterday one of the best aspects of hosting Vasek on a midweek visit is Pete Kwiatkowski, Bo Davis, Brandon Harris, and Steve Sarkisian getting to sink their teeth in on this recruitment and get much more one on one time than on your usual loaded visit weekend. We heard that strategy played out as we expected and that the early returns are really promising.

Vasek also has spent plenty of time with former teammates at Westlake and current Longhorns Ethan Burke and Connor Robertson on his visit. With a source telling us that getting that time with those two on the visit hit exactly the right buttons with the 6-foot-6 EDGE.

The official visit is still ongoing but so far everything we’ve heard from a number of sources is that Texas has hit all the right buttons and is surging at the right time in this recruitment before Vasek heads back to Eugene this weekend for his likely final official visit.

One note that I can’t shake out of my head regarding Vasek from a plugged in source is that the 6-foot-6 edge rusher reminded the source of Texas signee Kelvin Banks who originally committed to Oregon last summer. The source said that their read was that Vasek’s heart and family would prefer Texas, but that similar to Banks the family wouldn’t interfere and try to make the choice for him. However, at the end of the day it’s hard for them not to see Vasek end up at Texas.

We know that so far throughout the spring and on this visit, Texas has made up serious ground for Vasek. We’ll see if it’s enough following his trip to the Pacific Northwest.