Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The date isn't mentioned in the article, but saw on another board Augst 10th is his childhood friends birthday that passed away.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/sports/2022/06/21/edgewater-s-cedric-baxter-fulfills-promise-with-football-future-

Did that friend always want to go to Texas like Sergio Kindle's did?

Standish

Spoiler

— I checked in with a few sources on Dallas South Oak Cliff CB Malik Muhammad throughout the week and while the buzz is certainly all Texas at the moment the brakes might need to be slightly tapped.

One source told me that some members of the family would prefer for Muhammad to make his decision sooner rather than later, but Malik is still planning to stick with his late summer timeline as of right now.

Timelines can always shift, but I wouldn’t expect anything other than maybe a top schools list from Muhammad in the near future. Right now it’s too soon for me to enter a pick on Muhammad with the four-star still scheduled to visit Texas A&M at the end of July and sources adamant that he hasn’t made up his mind on a school.

— Muhammad’s high school teammate and cousin Billy Walton will announce his commitment in less than an hour and I still feel extremely confident in my Texas pick. Walton would profile to the BUCK or X position at Texas which acts as more of an EDGE/linebacker hybrid opposed to the more pass rush and LOS heavy JACK position on the opposite side of the formation.

— I’m still waiting on a few calls for a full update on Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill, but the feedback we’ve gotten from his official visit have been nothing short of extraordinary.

One nugget that I found interesting talking to a recruit in the 2023 class also on the visit was that Hill and his family spent an entire night out on the official visit with just Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. Sarkisian’s involvement in addition to the consistency shown throughout the process by Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, and Jeff Banks have the Longhorns in a really strong spot.

COMMENTS
Next up for Hill is an official visit to Texas A&M at the end of July and after that there have been conflicting messages on whether the five star would make his decision during the month of August or potentially take his recruitment into the 2022 season.

— Lastly, I haven’t gotten an update on the timeline for DeSoto five-star wideout Johntay Cook but still feel really good about my Texas pick.

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Standish

Reveal hidden contents

— I checked in with a few sources on Dallas South Oak Cliff CB Malik Muhammad throughout the week and while the buzz is certainly all Texas at the moment the brakes might need to be slightly tapped.

One source told me that some members of the family would prefer for Muhammad to make his decision sooner rather than later, but Malik is still planning to stick with his late summer timeline as of right now.

Timelines can always shift, but I wouldn’t expect anything other than maybe a top schools list from Muhammad in the near future. Right now it’s too soon for me to enter a pick on Muhammad with the four-star still scheduled to visit Texas A&M at the end of July and sources adamant that he hasn’t made up his mind on a school.

— Muhammad’s high school teammate and cousin Billy Walton will announce his commitment in less than an hour and I still feel extremely confident in my Texas pick. Walton would profile to the BUCK or X position at Texas which acts as more of an EDGE/linebacker hybrid opposed to the more pass rush and LOS heavy JACK position on the opposite side of the formation.

— I’m still waiting on a few calls for a full update on Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill, but the feedback we’ve gotten from his official visit have been nothing short of extraordinary.

One nugget that I found interesting talking to a recruit in the 2023 class also on the visit was that Hill and his family spent an entire night out on the official visit with just Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. Sarkisian’s involvement in addition to the consistency shown throughout the process by Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, and Jeff Banks have the Longhorns in a really strong spot.

COMMENTS
Next up for Hill is an official visit to Texas A&M at the end of July and after that there have been conflicting messages on whether the five star would make his decision during the month of August or potentially take his recruitment into the 2022 season.

— Lastly, I haven’t gotten an update on the timeline for DeSoto five-star wideout Johntay Cook but still feel really good about my Texas pick.

Maybe I just have low standards, but Standish seems to have reasonably worthwhile updates and info.  Surprising considering how much he works with ears to the street Roach.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I was jus thinking Texas could really use some CBs. Whatever happened to Rodrick Pleasant? Would love to see him in the class and anyone else that runs a 10.14 100, though I am guessing that is a long shot. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I was jus thinking Texas could really use some CBs. Whatever happened to Rodrick Pleasant? Would love to see him in the class and anyone else that runs a 10.14 100, though I am guessing that is a long shot. 

Muhammad and Toviano need to be getting all of our attention, the rest will work itself out

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Muhammed, Toviano and Matthews have all been mentioned recently

11 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Maybe I just have low standards, but Standish seems to have reasonably worthwhile updates and info.  Surprising considering how much he works with ears to the street Roach.

Not that IT is the bastion of journalism, but he did start there which mostly explains it

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nope said:

Muhammad and Toviano need to be getting all of our attention, the rest will work itself out

Can never have enough guys that can cover one on one. I thought Texas has 2 Safeties currently and leads for Matthews, who a thought was kind of a tweener. I guy most likely to end up at Nickel or Safety, perhaps I am remembering wrong. I was not looking for 2 out of 3 with Muhammed, Toviano, and Pleasant. I would rather take all 3 in a heart beat and if they had to, back off one of the safeties

Edited by Codaxx

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Can never have enough guys that can cover one on one. I thought Texas has 2 Safeties currently and leads for Matthews, who a thought was kind of a tweener. I guy most likely to end up at Nickel or Safety, perhaps I am remembering wrong. I was not looking for 2 out of 3 with Muhammed, Toviano, and Pleasant. I would rather take all 3 in a heart beat and if they had to, back off one of the safeties

Yeah, just saying if we can’t pull Pleasant in the 11th hour we should be able to find his analogue in the portal

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Tennessee $9.95ers think Matthews is a two team race between us and them. Said his OV last weekend went great, but that isn’t always enough to seal the deal.