Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

35 minutes ago, Chopper said:

For the olds, in the context of talking to Slo'Neal, CRIB means Can't Run, Is Bitch.

Right?

As a 50-something year old “terminally Caucasian” dude, this is EXACTLY what popped into my head. 

I'm not sure if you guys are fucking around or not, but for the olds who are ACTUALLY confused when MM said "crib." He's basically saying that Hill was "home." Now whether or not he meant it was Hills home, or his, is up for debate. Thanks for coming to my slang explanation.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm not sure if you guys are fucking around or not, but for the olds who are ACTUALLY confused when MM said "crib." He's basically saying that Hill was "home." Now whether or not he meant it was Hills home, or his, is up for debate. Thanks for coming to my slang explanation.

thanks 

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Found the guy everyone wants to invite to their next party.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I wasn't confused but now I am. I thought he was saying that the University of Texas is their home.

16 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

From some article on the draft:

It was an unforgettable and frustrating experience that O’Neal intends to thoroughly utilize as motivational fuel heading into his rookie season. Ultimately, O’Neal fell not because of his production or film but due to a slower than anticipated 40-yard dash time of 4.63 to 4.71 seconds.

“I will never, ever forget the names they called,” said O’Neal, a three-year starter for the Aggies whose rookie contract includes a $10,000 signing bonus and $50,000 of his base salary guaranteed. “I was projected from the fourth round to the seventh round, and for my name to not even be called at all, I wish those guys luck, but there’s no chance some of them are on my level. To fall because of a misinterpreted 40-yard dash time, to see a lot of that stuff, that was interesting to me. I had a lot riding on this.“

My two reactions:

1. “Misinterpreted.” Lol.

2. After years of bagging on him for being slow, it’s hilarious that the reason he wasn’t drafted was because he was… slow

I think you’re being too hard on Leon. He might be correct. After all, time is a flat circle.

image.gif.89fd7b74fe79aa703a40c966c5c8326b.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Gerry:

The Texas Longhorns have a path to the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in the 2023 cycle.

Steve Sarkisian and staff enter Sunday with the No. 3 ranked class. The class of 17 commitments is headlined by On3 Consensus No. 1 overall Arch Manning and 10 more On3 Consensus 4-star prospects. Texas has more than a dozen On3 Consensus 5-stars and 4-stars remaining on the board, and currently lead for several.

When looking at the No. 1 class possibilities in the 2023 cycle, don’t look at Texas A&M in the 2022 class. That will not be repeated in this cycle. The No 2 class in the last cycle was Alabama. A class with four 5-stars and 19 4-stars takes home the recruiting title the vast majority of years. Texas has that level class in sight headed into Sydir Mitchell’s announcement at 5:30pm CT.

Inside Texas takes a look at the combination that would take Texas to the No. 1 spot come December, and February.

Sydir Mitchell

The On3 Consensus 4-star announces his decision at 5:30pm central. Texas is the overwhelming favorite over Georgia, Miami and Texas A&M.

A Texas win: The Longhorns would have one On3 Consensus 5-star and 11 On3 Consensus 4-stars.

The On3 Consensus 5-stars

Should Texas win out for On3 Consensus 5-star linebacker Anthony Hill and one of On3 Consensus 5-star defensive lineman David Hicks or tight end Duce Robinson, a class of at least four On3 Consensus 5-stars would be a lock. Texas is trending for Hill. Hicks and the Texas staff are communication more now than ever. Robinson is scheduled to make an official September 10 for the Alabama game.

Defensive line combinations

When assessing the path to the No. 1 class, it’s all about shots on goal. Texas has just that on the defensive line.

The Longhorns continue to make headway for On3 Consensus 4-star Hunter Osborne according to Saturday intel. Even if Osborne were to pick Texas over Tennessee and Clemson, the staff would continue to recruit On300 No. 145 Jamarious Brown.

Texas is also in position to win out for either Terrance Green or Markis Deal. Green will visit the last weekend in July, and decide prior to the start of the season.

Bottom line, Texas will add at least two more On3 Consensus 4-stars on the defensive line.

Wide receiver combinations

Texas has a number of possible combinations at wide receiver. The Longhorns are likely to sign four receivers in the cycle, and all of them will be On3 Consensus 4-stars. Still on the board in-state are No. 126 overall Jaden Greathouse, No. 62 Jaquaize Pettaway, No. 151 Mikal Harrison-Pilot and No. 76 Jalen Hale.

Texas is locked in a battle with Notre Dame for Greathouse, while Pettaway will announce between Oklahoma and Texas this week.

Top running back target to announce August 10

The Texas Longhorns are heavily recruiting one running back in the cycle that is yet to commit, Cedric Baxter Jr. The 6-foot-1, 217-pound versatile back will announce his decision August 10 out of Texas, Miami, Florida and Texas A&M. The Longhorns are the heavy favorite in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine.

EDGE and hybrid position still has questions to be answered

Texas continues to pursue some of the nations best at EDGE. One prospect the Longhorns continue to trend for is On3 Consensus 4-star hybrid Derion Gullette. The 6-foot-3, 228-pounder could decide in the next week or so between Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Alabama.

On3 Consensus 4-stars Braylan Shelby and Colton Vasek are battles with the now defunct Pac-12. Shelby will decide between Texas and USC in the next couple of weeks, unless he decides to make an unofficial visit to Texas A&M to end July. Vasek was leaning out of state, likely, Oregon, but the Longhorns are making headway in recent days.

The Longhorns are also in the hunt for On3 Consensus No. 71 overall Tausili Akana out of Hawaii.

Texas will likely hit on two or three out of this group.

Defensive back battles

Texas is swinging for the fences on some of the nations top defensive backs. Texas has been trending of late with On3 Consensus 4-star cornerback Malik Muhammad. The smooth cover corner has a final three of Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama, and could make a decision any day this month.

The Longhorns have been in a solid position with On3 Consensus 4-star cornerback Jordan Matthews for a while now. Texas and Alabama have official visits remaining. The fast rising corner that put up eye opening track times in the spring is scheduled to be at Texas the last week in July.

On3 Consensus 4-star versatile defensive back Javien Toviano is more of a mystery. A mystery that is expected to stay close to home at the end of the day. That sets up a likely Texas vs. Texas A&M battle for important bragging rights in DFW.

On3 Consensus 5-star safety Caleb Downs is a wildcard recruitment, so we will walk away from that unless he makes the visit the last weekend of July.

A prediction for the class

In closing, my prediction for the Texas class is three or four On3 Consensus 5-stars, and 21 or 22 On3 Consensus 4-stars. That would leave the Longhorns squarely in the mix for a first No. 1 ranked recruiting class since 2010.

• Hook 'Em 6

Bobby:

We’ll see later today if the Texas recruiting momentum continues.

Sydir Mitchell, a highly sought defensive lineman from New Jersey, is expected to make his decision at 5:30 this afternoon among Texas, Georgia, Texas A&M and Miami.

Mitchell visited Texas for the second time just a couple of weeks ago.

At 6-foot-4.5 and 340 pounds, Mitchell is a key piece to what the Horns want to do on defense.

His ability to handle multiple blocks on the interior is something the Horns’ coaching staff covets.

He alone may not be a hugely disruptive force but his play on the interior could make those around him that much more difficult to deal with in one-on-one situations.

If Mitchell selects Texas, what comes next?

IT is hearing that a couple of other blue chip recruits are also on the cusp of announcing decisions.

I don’t know how far this momentum will carry. I have not really witnessed anything like this for Texas in quite some time. But I don’t see it stopping anytime soon.

Steve Sarkisian and fellow recruits are well positioned to keep the ball rolling.

• Hook 'Em 4

It seems like Gerry is underrating the chances of any of the guys that are currently high 4s in the on3 system getting senior bumps into five star territory, like Baxter, Williams, MM, etc. I think some of those guys have a chance to move up as well, so 3-4 could end up being 5. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It seems like Gerry is underrating the chances of any of the guys that are currently high 4s in the on3 system getting senior bumps into five star territory, like Baxter, Williams, MM, etc. I think some of those guys have a chance to move up as well, so 3-4 could end up being 5. 

Agree, i saw that Rivals had only given out 20 5 star rankings, so they have 12 more to hand out even if there is no movement in that top 20.