austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

I've been listening to bits and pieces of Jeff Ward's show (and the Jeff & Ed show) over the last month.
Jeff has gotten stupid.  His views on the college football playoff at this point are remarkably ignorant.  Maybe the last divorce scrambled his brain, but he is as obnoxious as ever yet almost never makes a salient point.
Agreed, he comes across as a bitter, hyperbolic old man.

And they can't help but meander into politics and really show how dumb they are. Cringy.

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

And they can't help but meander into politics and really show how dumb they are. Cringy.

Neither one seems to be willing to own their own politics.  Ed is a fairly far right Republican, Jeff is a "Libertarian" (which crosses over with Ed's viewpoints but he won't admit it), and both try to come across as more broad-thinking than they really are.

Jeff is kinda Bill Maher Light.

It's pretty bad radio at this point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Erin Hogan just announced that he’s leaving The Horn. I only caught the tail end of the segment, so I didn’t hear any details on where he’s going next. 

He didn't say, only that you will still be able to listen to him.  Going back to The Zone?

Edited by chemHORN

that pretty much has to kill The Horn, right?

I like Baber's, but there is no chance at all that he can run a 5 hour show by himself.  Plus the sidekicks that they would bring in as replacements were all Erin's people

and I cant see them re-hiring any of the crew they let go in August, since they all scattered to do their own podcasts or got picked up by 1300.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

If the fact that other stations' signals still overide the Horn's most days hasn't killed it, I don't know if anything can. 

I've been streaming E & Rod B for a while now.  Can't imagine they have any signal strength left.

I like Erin and Rod together but not enough to listen everyday. I’d usually find the podcast once or twice a week if I’m gonna be in the car for a while but that’s about it. 
I’m going to need a new Longhorn podcast for next football season. Have no need for any sports talk until then. I haven’t been excited about any of the others I’ve found so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like Erin and Rod together but not enough to listen everyday. I’d usually find the podcast once or twice a week if I’m gonna be in the car for a while but that’s about it. 
I’m going to need a new Longhorn podcast for next football season. Have no need for any sports talk until then. I haven’t been excited about any of the others I’ve found so far. 

Yeah, I only listen during football season for the most part. I find myself listening to the East Coast d-bags on Sirius XM Mad Dog radio. They are slowly growing on me.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

If the fact that other stations' signals still overide the Horn's most days hasn't killed it, I don't know if anything can. 

At first I thought it was because I lived in N Austin/Cedar Park that the signal was so shitty.  Then I was trying to listen in S Austin and the signal was still shitty.  Was there a single place in the Austin metro where you could actually get that station clearly every day?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

At first I thought it was because I lived in N Austin/Cedar Park that the signal was so shitty.  Then I was trying to listen in S Austin and the signal was still shitty.  Was there a single place in the Austin metro where you could actually get that station clearly every day?

Yeah, unless I switched to 1260am, their signal really sucked in central and south Austin.  Feels like The HORN should shut it down.

Hopefully Babers finds another place to land on Austin radio -- glad he's getting some additional income from OTF and various other podcasts.  

The Horn was just terrible. Before the implosion it was wall to wall high school bullshit. And the whole time the fm signal was non-existent and the AM had classic AM/power-line static and an ocasional tejano station. I like tejano, so at times I liked it. But it’s a terrible way to run an ad business. 

I think Rod is badass. I remember running into him in college and he was a great dude. Now- I love listening to him break down the sport. I appreciate that he looks a tape and stats and then gives you an actual informed take on what happened / will happen.  I even liked his solo show. Can’t see how he sticks around there. He’s capable of more. 

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is the Rod + Patrick Davis pairing ("The Rodcast") permanent or a stopgap?

I just caught onto this today when I noticed Erin is still gone.  I guess I missed a show last week when he announced.  I assumed last week that Patrick was subbing in for Erin because of spring break vacation or something.  Came here to verify wtf is gong on.

I have been listening to the Horn forever...losing BK sucked, and last summer's shuffling sucked, but this is worse.  I was just glad they kept the top 2 in Erin/Rod.

Patrick in the afternoons by himself is a beating.  He is just talking / arguing with the text line.

I will stay listening just for Rod.  But going to check out other shows for sure.

26 minutes ago, Deej said:

Weird hearing E Hogan on a channel with an actual signal this morning. His sidekick kinda seems like he sucks, though. 

I read the bio on Nick Hajda his cohost....seems weak.  Haven't listened yet, but it reads like Hajda is the comical casual act.

7 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

I read the bio on Nick Hajda his cohost....seems weak.  Haven't listened yet, but it reads like Hajda is the comical casual act.

Hajda is the guy that used to be Jason Dick's sidekick and when Jason was thrown out on his ass a second time, Hajda went with him.  They were doing a sports show after the morning show for a few months when Jason was back.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did Jason Dick ever land anywhere?  I mean, besides (I assume) rehab?

No, hasn't landed anywhere but he has a podcast with Nick and (sometimes) Dave B where they just kinda riff on stuff. Similar to the old morning show. I love it but I've always been a fan. 

You mentioned rehab -- what's the story? It keeps getting alluded to but seems like it's never been explained what exactly happened.

Also, he's dropped some of the asshole nature that he played on the radio so him and Nick fighting isn't really a thing anymore on the podcast, which is an improvement I think. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

No, hasn't landed anywhere but he has a podcast with Nick and (sometimes) Dave B where they just kinda riff on stuff. Similar to the old morning show. I love it but I've always been a fan. 

You mentioned rehab -- what's the story? It keeps getting alluded to but seems like it's never been explained what exactly happened.

Also, he's dropped some of the asshole nature that he played on the radio so him and Nick fighting isn't really a thing anymore on the podcast, which is an improvement I think. 

Just repeating unsubstantiated rumors.  They did allude to some alcohol problems on air, though.  I should probably just shut up.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just repeating unsubstantiated rumors.  They did allude to some alcohol problems on air, though.  I should probably just shut up.

Not unsubstantiated. He talked about why he was fired the first time and it was because he was caught drinking on the job.