Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

Have you tried explaining the situation to her? Maybe bust out a post-it board - ah hell, nevermind. This might be a better discussion for WATSSTSAD.

Not sure on my game plan. Might watch the Stars on my phone while the Horns are on TV. 

22 hours ago, NateHitch said:

At least your wife likes football but yeah, you're gonna need 2 TVs

Wound up with the two football games on DirecTV side-by-side feature and the Stars game on the iPad. I didn't really get a good watch at any of the three games as we had a couple over for dinner and we hadn't seen them since before the pandemic. We got a little distracted and the football games were blowouts. I did put the Stars on the big screen for the last 5-6 frenetic minutes. Wow, can't believe this group is one win from a berth in the Finals. Holy shit!

Edited by C-Man

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Wound up with the two football games on DirecTV side-by-side feature and the Stars game on the iPad. I didn't really get a good watch at any of the three games as we had a couple over for dinner and we hadn't seen them since before the pandemic. We got a little distracted and the football games were blowouts. I did put the Stars on the big screen for the last 5-6 frenetic minutes. Wow, can't believe this group is one win from a berth in the Finals. Holy shit!

I look forward to your update in the Swinging thread 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 hours ago, Mileslong said:
What a gutty win, now step on their throat next game and let’s go for the cup...

You mean we shouldn't start Ben Bishop for game 5?

Nope. Time to get oetter some live fire. 

anyone else feel like this is the second series in a row where there’s way more no -calls going against them?  How many obvious penalties have vegas and colorado not been called for?

but they just keep scrapping and keep winning. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

anyone else feel like this is the second series in a row where there’s way more no -calls going against them?  How many obvious penalties have vegas and colorado not been called for?

I've seen some bullshit penalties that Vegas has gotten. Some of these tripping calls where he fell on his own. One being last night. Horseshit. 

I’ve been saying that ever since we went up 3-1 on the Conner Makinnons. I just don’t know if I’m saying because I’m a Stars fan or it’s legit. We have been committing some pretty ill timed stupid penalties, but it feels like nothing is being called the other way.

I’ve been saying that ever since we went up 3-1 on the Conner Makinnons. I just don’t know if I’m saying because I’m a Stars fan or it’s legit. We have been committing some pretty ill timed stupid penalties, but it feels like nothing is being called the other way.
Connor?

21 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Saw a quote from Peter DeBoer where he said they're dominating puck possession and they're playing against the most-penalized team so a 19-9 deficit in PP should be expected. Not sure I agree or disagree as I've seen little of the last two games but I do know that Tuch has gotten away with two egregious non-calls -- the slew-foot of Seguin and then a blindside interference hit on Pavelski in Game 4. The hit on Pavelski didn't look necessarily intentional but it should've been a penalty.

I am an admitted bandwagon fan as hockey is not at the top of the list of sports I follow but my family and I are fully locked in these whole playoffs. I even got my girlfriend watching games now. I forgot how intense these playoff hockey games are. I have to stand up in front of the tv so often. I can't sit down, especially when it's the 3rd period. Playoff hockey is fucking great if the Stars are in it for me. It isn't like other sports where you can take your eyes off for a little and revert back. This brings back memories of the Stanley Cups runs we had when I was 14 and 15. My uncle and I both said we were actually looking forward to tonight's game than the Cowboys game yesterday and the NFL opening full day in general. Fucking ready for tonight!

44 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Saw a quote from Peter DeBoer where he said they're dominating puck possession and they're playing against the most-penalized team so a 19-9 deficit in PP should be expected. Not sure I agree or disagree as I've seen little of the last two games but I do know that Tuch has gotten away with two egregious non-calls -- the slew-foot of Seguin and then a blindside interference hit on Pavelski in Game 4. The hit on Pavelski didn't look necessarily intentional but it should've been a penalty.

Do you mean Perry? Because the two I remember involve Seguin and Perry. Both should have been penalties

37 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am an admitted bandwagon fan as hockey is not at the top of the list of sports I follow but my family and I are fully locked in these whole playoffs. I even got my girlfriend watching games now. I forgot how intense these playoff hockey games are. I have to stand up in front of the tv so often. I can't sit down, especially when it's the 3rd period. Playoff hockey is fucking great if the Stars are in it for me. It isn't like other sports where you can take your eyes off for a little and revert back. This brings back memories of the Stanley Cups runs we had when I was 14 and 15. My uncle and I both said we were actually looking forward to tonight's game than the Cowboys game yesterday and the NFL opening full day in general. Fucking ready for tonight!

Agreed, its also the last remaining "big" pro sport that I actually still find more enjoyable in person... really wish could be there this year

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I've been saying it for years the Stanley Cup Playoffs have no peer when it comes to postseasons. I'm not even sure it's close either. This is a watered-down version of the normal playoffs and it's still pretty terrific (the Stars getting this far is part of it). I admittedly pooh-poohed the idea of this restart but it's been much better than I expected. It isn't quite the same grind to the Cup as usual but it's good hockey.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've been saying it for years the Stanley Cup Playoffs have no peer when it comes to postseasons. I'm not even sure it's close either. This is a watered-down version of the normal playoffs and it's still pretty terrific (the Stars getting this far is part of it). I admittedly pooh-poohed the idea of this restart but it's been much better than I expected. It isn't quite the same grind to the Cup as usual but it's good hockey.

to the casual observer I'm not sure it's much different at all. my new gf is not really a sports fan but she watched the last game with me and remarked at how intense it was and that she caught herself holding her breath several times. She also remarked how continuous the game was and that it kept her attention better than most other sports because of all the pauses and breaks they have and how few hockey has. I think those of us who have watched hockey intently for years see differences, but to newcomers this is a still an exciting tournament.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

to the casual observer I'm not sure it's much different at all. my new gf is not really a sports fan but she watched the last game with me and remarked at how intense it was and that she caught herself holding her breath several times. She also remarked how continuous the game was and that it kept her attention better than most other sports because of all the pauses and breaks they have and how few hockey has. I think those of us who have watched hockey intently for years see differences, but to newcomers this is a still and exciting tournament.

The biggest thing is that there is no home-ice advantage and no travel. Dropping a "home" game isn't as catastrophic as it can be outside the bubble. Do the Stars win a Game 7 at altitude in Denver? I don't know. Do they even need a Game 7 if they have Game 6 at AAC? The bubble presents other issues -- you're not around family when not at the rink and there's a lot of downtime/boredom. My biggest complaint prior to the restart was the team that winds up skating the Cup will be robbed of the feeling of doing it in a full arena. I guess it won't be completely empty as they're letting family members in to see the Finals, right?

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

The biggest thing is that there is no home-ice advantage and no travel. Dropping a "home" game isn't as catastrophic as it can be outside the bubble. Do the Stars win a Game 7 at altitude in Denver? I don't know. Do they even need a Game 7 if they have Game 6 at AAC? The bubble presents other issues -- you're not around family when not at the rink and there's a lot of downtime/boredom. My biggest complaint prior to the restart was the team that winds up skating the Cup will be robbed of the feeling of doing it in a full arena. I guess it won't be completely empty as they're letting family members in to see the Finals, right?

yeah, no idea. haven't really looked into that part of the protocol. but yes, it appears they are starting to let family into the bubble, which can be good and bad.

I get it, this season will have an asterisk. but it's not like in past when a season was forfeit because of lockout and then the next season was shortened or whatever supposed asterisks have been on titles in past. IMHO whoever wins this season deserves a star next to their win. Because these are certainly unique times and I can't imagine the temerity involved in playing at a high caliber in front of an empty arena. The fact that those still playing are doing so at such a high level is a testament to their perseverance, not the other way around. I think whomever wins it this year will forever be remembered as the team that persevered over extremely weird circumstances and came out on top. At least that's how I will view it - whether or not it's the Stars hoisting the cup or someone else.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Anyone in Austin know of a good place to watch the game? Like is there a Stars "bar"?

I know you are asking for Austin (and I have no idea so sorry) but for those in Dallas, I watched game 1 on patio at Chelsea St. Corner and it was great.  Very socially distanced and they had game audio on.