Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

A lot is going to be made of Oleksiak's goal over the next couple of days. And it's going to portray the Big Rig as slow. From what I'm reading he is well above average in ice speed and his reach is,well , frankly absurd. I've watched him pretty closely when I've caught his number, and damn, does his reach matter. 

A defender going around him to get in front of him is forced to take the scenic route

• Hook 'Em 1

When I said upthread that the next goal might be the series winner, I’d sure like for that to be true now. But in reality, I think vegas is more likely to be able to win 3 of 4 vs Dallas than vice versa (same with col and they damn near did...with an assist from bowness/bishop along the way), so I’m feeling good but in no way relaxed. 
Dallas needs to find a way to play desperately when they are not yet desperate so they can match their opponent. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If only Seguin was playing up to his usual not-quite-a-superstar-but-definitely-an-All-Star caliber this team would be a shoo-in for the Finals. I fucking love our collection of role players.

He looked like he maybe had a little more last night?  Still seems off.  But Benn/Radulov answered the bell.    We can't advance without top line playing well.  Hope it continues.

Mike Rhyner taking his talents to The Athletic led me to become a subscriber (there was a half-off deal too) but Sean Shapiro's coverage of the Stars has been an unexpected added bonus. His coverage is outstanding. Just FYI. (I really enjoyed this part of his latest update.)

18. If you want to relive Game 7 from the series with Colorado, watch the most recent episode of “Quest for the Stanley Cup” on ESPN+, where they take a behind-the-scenes look at that contest.

We already knew about Kiviranta’s “We are not going home,” postgame speech, but turns out it was actually a call-back to Benn’s pregame speech where he used the same line with some more colorful language mixed in.

There’s also an interesting bit about the exchange between referee Steve Kozari and Radulov after his high-sticking penalty in the third period.

Radulov, clearly ticked, is complaining about the call when Kozari tells Radulov in the box, “I love you like a brother, but I have to call that.”

Comeau then continued Radulov’s appeal, stating, “We are playing for our lives in Game 7, and that had no bearing on the play.”

We rarely get enough insight into those referee-player interactions.

It also shows the handshake during which Nathan MacKinnon tells Bowness to go win the Cup and that all of Nova Scotia is now cheering for him and the Stars.

19. There are also quite a few people rooting for Bowness in Tampa, where he spent five seasons as an assistant coach.

Lightning coach Jon Cooper was asked about Bowness on Thursday.

“Well Bones, he’s another one I could go on forever about,” Cooper said. “Just when I came into the NHL, I was a little green. And I knew I was comfortable as a coach, but I wasn’t comfortable with the NHL yet. And Rick really helped me with that, he was kind of the mentor you needed, or I needed, and the nuances of the NHL I didn’t know about that he really helped me with.”

Bowness’ early impact on Cooper is one of the reasons he was hired to work with Jim Montgomery before the 2018-19 season.

Those rooting for Bowness in Tampa will have to tap the breaks on that feeling if Dallas and Tampa meet in the next round, of course.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

When I said upthread that the next goal might be the series winner, I’d sure like for that to be true now. But in reality, I think vegas is more likely to be able to win 3 of 4 vs Dallas than vice versa (same with col and they damn near did...with an assist from bowness/bishop along the way), so I’m feeling good but in no way relaxed. 
Dallas needs to find a way to play desperately when they are not yet desperate so they can match their opponent. 

I might agree but I think that loss was more backbreaking for them than it would have been for us. They crushed us in the 3rd period and only came out of it with one goal. I'm not sure how much better they can play short of the puck finding the net at a higher clip. Meanwhile it seems like we are still shooting ourselves in the dick multiple times a game yet finding ways to win.

Well they scored twice in the third and dobby damn near killed himself keeping out a couple of others. 
but also we were playing “just get it out of the zone” from the time it was 2-1 until it was 2-2, letting them just regroup, change, and attack again. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I kinda feel like that's the way Dallas has played all year, and why we keep winning games that we shouldn't. Just playing hard to the end with scrappers. 

Going to wear my Stars jersey and my Longhorn hat, watch the Stars game while I record the Longhorn game and watch the Horns game directly afterwards. Doubleheader

I’ve got the added issue of #1 Clemson kicking off at 6:30 too (wife is Clemson alum). Mrs C-Man has strenuously objected to busting out a second TV to accommodate.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Mrs C-Man has strenuously objected to busting out a second TV to accommodate.

Have you tried explaining the situation to her? Maybe bust out a post-it board - ah hell, nevermind. This might be a better discussion for WATSSTSAD.

Not sure on my game plan. Might watch the Stars on my phone while the Horns are on TV. 

12 minutes ago, NateHitch said:
21 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
I am going to record the Horns' preseason game and watch the one that matters. 

What if it was Texas/LSU? Wife just asked me that and it made me pause but I think I'd still do the same

yup. this is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It's my favorite team in my favorite sport. Horns are 1B, but Stars and hockey will always be my 1A. I was originally going to the game tonight (Horns) but said nah and will see what happens over the next few weeks before the next home game. If I had gone, I'd probably still be watching the Stars on my phone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is Johns dealing with concussion shit again? For his mental state I really hope not. Especially after reading his article in the spring.
I think that's the current assumption by most people. I haven't read anything from anyone with inside information though. I don't know if I've seen him in the box with the other players or not but I think someone said that he is still inside the bubble.