Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They don't look as fast as the Avs, and they don't hit as hard as the Flames.

Maybe they just had an off night.  But I wasn't terribly impressed by their defense.  I was, however, very impressed by their goaltending.  That kept Vegas in the game, and it's going to win them some games in this series.

This is what I said to some buddies as well. 

Happy to win a low scoring game against these guys

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

But I wasn't terribly impressed by their defense. 

No. They seemed slow getting back. We also weren't very surgical on offense, though. Seemed to be a little too hesitant but good keeping will make you do that I suppose.

Game probably should have been 2 or 3 to 1 or so.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They don't look as fast as the Avs, and they don't hit as hard as the Flames.

Maybe they just had an off night.  But I wasn't terribly impressed by their defense.  I was, however, very impressed by their goaltending.  That kept Vegas in the game, and it's going to win them some games in this series.

It was their 3rd game in 4 nights including a tense game 7 and they were short their emotional and physical leader. They're going to be much tougher and I think faster in game 2. They were worn out as Vancouver did the Stars a solid by taking it to 7

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

It was their 3rd game in 4 nights including a tense game 7 and they were short their emotional and physical leader. They're going to be much tougher and I think faster in game 2. They were worn out as Vancouver did the Stars a solid by taking it to 7

Eh. It was our 5th game in 8 nights. We went to 7 too. It was an intense game too. Not sure either team can use being "worn out" as an excuse for game 1.

Reaves is a big part of their team but I wouldn’t call him their emotional or physical leader. He’s a third-line guy at best in their lineup.

Vegas is nowhere near as explosive as Colorado.

I’m not particularly sympathetic to claims of being worn out this year. Everybody is facing the same challenges; the Stars had a similar schedule.

If Vegas is worn out, then the conclusion is that they are fragile. Guys who are tired are more easily injured. And a team that can’t overcome the loss of a third-line forward isn’t going to recover from a more significant injury.

Personally, I don’t buy the “worn out” assertion. I think it’s more of just an off night that could’ve happened regardless of the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m not particularly sympathetic to claims of being worn out this year. Everybody is facing the same challenges; the Stars had a similar schedule.

If Vegas is worn out, then the conclusion is that they are fragile. Guys who are tired are more easily injured. And a team that can’t overcome the loss of a third-line forward isn’t going to recover from a more significant injury.

Personally, I don’t buy the “worn out” assertion. I think it’s more of just an off night that could’ve happened regardless of the rest.

0a3d404e5334735f060a7cebe6a4297a.gif

9 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Difference is they had a back to back games 6 and 7 and the Stars didn't. When turning around that quickly to gave 1 it makes difference. They will look faster and more physical game 2

Edited by Wanker Bob

4 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Difference is they had a back to back games 6 and 7 and the Stars didn't. When turning around that quickly to gave 1 it makes difference. They will look faster and more physical game 2

They will but that's because they don't want to go down 0-2.  0-2 means you have to win 4 of the next 5.  this is a huge game for vegas.

I believe I heard in Vegas' last 3 games, if you take away the 2 empty net goals they scored, they have exactly ONE GOAL against an opposing net minder.

At what point does that start to get into their heads.

And as we saw in the last series, the Stars' net minder is not exactly standing on this head.

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

I believe I heard in Vegas' last 3 games, if you take away the 2 empty net goals they scored, they have exactly ONE GOAL against an opposing net minder.

At what point does that start to get into their heads.

And as we saw in the last series, the Stars' net minder is not exactly standing on this head.

I hope that was due to how potent and high flying the Avs' offense was and he can get back to playing good. Once the goals started coming in about game 3 (I think), I texted my cousin who is a die hard hockey fan (I defer to him on hockey) and he said he was not worried about him because of how good the Avs offense was and they would make any goalie look worse than what he really is. He looked back to form last night. Let's see if that can continue.

Also, give me a 1-0 nailbiter than these 5-4 games any day of the week. Last night was amazing!

To that point, he was better against the less-deadly Flames with a 2.6 GAA in 5 games, but he wasn’t a world beater. 
Vegas is a very proficient scoring team, though not as deadly as the Avs and it’s all a lack of the Avs’ speed. They are a really good all around team though, and while I think Colorado was better Vegas is very good. I’d like Dobby to be nails, but if we revert to the offensive machine we’ve been, it won’t matter. The thing is, we can win in multiple ways and I’m not sure Vegas can. 
Let's not forget, we faced some sub par goalies in the first to rounds.