Jump to content

Jimmy Carter


cactusflinthead

Recommended Posts

I've lived my whole adult life reading Jimmy C was the worst president not named Andrew Johnson (and now DJ Trump).

Is the power of time so strong that, reasonably removed from short term thoughts and memories, the warts and grit of legacies and reputations are sanded down to a nice smooth sheen so that we now have people who love GWB because he hangs out with Ellen and tickles Michelle Obama at funerals and Jimmy Carter is now a great president?

Or are we so brutal and stupid in the moment and present, completely lacking awareness, so that those topical opinions can never be trusted but for the passing of time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I've lived my whole adult life reading Jimmy C was the worst president not named Andrew Johnson (and now DJ Trump).

Is the power of time so strong that, reasonably removed from short term thoughts and memories, the warts and grit of legacies and reputations are sanded down to a nice smooth sheen so that we now have people who love GWB because he hangs out with Ellen and tickles Michelle Obama at funerals and Jimmy Carter is now a great president?

Or are we so brutal and stupid in the moment and present, completely lacking awareness, so that those topical opinions can never be trusted but for the passing of time?

tenor.gif?itemid=5392040

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I've lived my whole adult life reading Jimmy C was the worst president not named Andrew Johnson (and now DJ Trump).

Is the power of time so strong that, reasonably removed from short term thoughts and memories, the warts and grit of legacies and reputations are sanded down to a nice smooth sheen so that we now have people who love GWB because he hangs out with Ellen and tickles Michelle Obama at funerals and Jimmy Carter is now a great president?

Or are we so brutal and stupid in the moment and present, completely lacking awareness, so that those topical opinions can never be trusted but for the passing of time?

At that this point, who gives a shit how good of a President he was? He clearly among  the best of a class in being a damn good human being.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

At that this point, who gives a shit how good of a President he was? He clearly among  the best of a class in being a damn good human being.

You know what? I'm dumb. I completely misread the "best former President ever". I didn't take it as obviously intended which is more of a "best person and life lived after being a President".

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah Carter is before my time and my understanding is that he probably got a raw deal but was also fairly ineffective as a president.  But if every president dedicated his life post office to the betterment of mankind in the same spirit and intensity as Jimmy Carter, the world would be a better place.  And an ineffective but admiral person would be a vast improvement over where we are right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, F250 said:

Damn, some of you are some seriously old ass men.

 

mostly 40s and 50s and getting older.  I was in elementary school when JC was in office.

Walter Mondale is his 90s also.  I believe they are the oldest surviving P-VP combo of all time,  a record that will never be surpassed.

I'd vote for a Carter Mondale ticket right now; they're eligible you know.

Edited by NowThis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, Rougarou said:

I've lived my whole adult life reading Jimmy C was the worst president not named Andrew Johnson (and now DJ Trump).

Is the power of time so strong that, reasonably removed from short term thoughts and memories, the warts and grit of legacies and reputations are sanded down to a nice smooth sheen so that we now have people who love GWB because he hangs out with Ellen and tickles Michelle Obama at funerals and Jimmy Carter is now a great president?

Or are we so brutal and stupid in the moment and present, completely lacking awareness, so that those topical opinions can never be trusted but for the passing of time?

I think its simply that Donald Trump makes people long for a decent human soul involved in our governance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2019 at 11:11 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah Carter is before my time and my understanding is that he probably got a raw deal but was also fairly ineffective as a president.  But if every president dedicated his life post office to the betterment of mankind in the same spirit and intensity as Jimmy Carter, the world would be a better place.  And an ineffective but admiral person would be a vast improvement over where we are right now.

I'll posit that he's underrated. 

Mistakes:

Some of his mistakes (in retrospect, at least), include the failed mission to rescue American diplomats held hostage in Tehran, which ended with nine people dead, and secretly arming Islamist mujaheddin in Afghanistan in order to draw the Soviets into a Vietnam-style bloodbath. After the Russian invasion, Carter also reimposed draft registration, a costly and foolish policy that persists to this day. His administration also continued arming the Indonesian military in its brutal and deadly occupation of East Timor.

 

Good times 

But Carter also oversaw major (and under-appreciated) foreign policy successes, such as the SALT II nuclear weapons reductions, the Camp David Accords ending the Egypt-Israel conflict, and the removal of U.S. nuclear weapons from Korea.

 

 

To fight¬†stagflation, Carter appointed tight-money advocate¬†Paul Volker¬†to head the Federal Reserve Board, and Volker pulled the brakes on inflationary monetary policy‚ÄĒhard. It solved inflation but sent the economy into a painful correction that probably cost Carter re-election.

And despite his personal big government sympathies, Carter's most lasting legacy is as the Great Deregulator. Carter deregulated oil, trucking, railroads, airlines and beer. (H/t Caleb Brown.)

JIMMY CARTER WAS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN YOU THINK

I remember watching Watergate take over the afternoon TV and there were no cartoons. Just old men talking about how the President was a crook. Tricky Dick.

Then came this peanut farmer. That's what we called him. I didn't find out until considerably later that he was on a nuclear submarine. 

We can argue policy. That's fine, but it's his personality that lost him the election. He's not the cheerleader that Reagan was. I thought Reagan was phony, but I was in the minority. We were fighting mad at Iran. We wanted to kick someone's ass and we didn't want some peanut farmer telling us to calm down. This nascent period of the Moral Majority and CPAC meant that the Republican party was ready to mobilize the South. It was time to take it. Jimmy was so focused on the hostages it's a wonder if he campaigned at all. 

Most of the objections to his administration are emotional. Yeah, there were mistakes, but no more so than others. He also had some serious wins. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

LOL!!! Jimmy is a very good man, but he was fucking horrible. He had no business being in that office. You lefties really are comical.

Which 3 or 4 specific policies did you disagree with most?

35 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

Always get a kick on how the left sees the world.

Please list a few conservative policies that have proven beneficial to society?  

I'll hang up and listen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Which 3 or 4 specific policies did you disagree with most?

Please list a few conservative policies that have proven beneficial to society?  

I'll hang up and listen.

Well, than hang up.

You see government taken control of our lives as a good thing. I see them getting out of the way as freedom. You lefties absolutely hate liberty. It's in the Karl's doctrine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

Well, than hang up.

You see government taken control of our lives as a good thing. I see them getting out of the way as freedom. You lefties absolutely hate liberty. It's in the Karl's doctrine. 

Use your examples...otherwise it looks like you're talking out of your ass, and just parroting things you've heard on Fox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Let's stop right there. Is this a mistake or did you mean it?

 

Well, then, to the two of us, and probably others too, this jumped out as a grammatical error, but to the Trumpkins out there it didn't register, because they're not only dumber than the rest of the population, but they relish in their stupidity.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

You see government taken control of our lives as a good thing. I see them getting out of the way as freedom. You lefties absolutely hate liberty.

Taken? You must have really hated deregulation under Carter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's rando commenter on FB or somewhere else I'd stop reading after the first time they make a basic mistake like this, but I tend to cut a little slack here. I know it's a long shot, but they might have a substantive reply and that was merely a misspelling. 

As I said,  a long shot. His leading premise contradicts one of the article's better points, that Carter was responsible for deregulation of things that impact many people directly in a positive way. Unlike say deregulation of coal emissions. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 2:32 PM, cactusflinthead said:

If it's rando commenter on FB or somewhere else I'd stop reading after the first time they make a basic mistake like this, but I tend to cut a little slack here. I know it's a long shot, but they might have a substantive reply and that was merely a misspelling. 

As I said,  a long shot. His leading premise contradicts one of the article's better points, that Carter was responsible for deregulation of things that impact many people directly in a positive way. Unlike say deregulation of coal emissions. 

such as beer.  carter deregulated homebrewing which helped (a few years later) kick off the craft  beer revolution (along with the west coast allowing brew pubs a few years later). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Jimmy Carter is the rare public servant who is exactly that. I admire how tirelessly this man works to help those who cannot help themselves around the world. We need more people like him. 

Yep. Carter will not go down in history as a successful, while in office, President but there isn’t a recent President that is close to him in terms of selflessness.  And many ex-Presidents are fantastic people but Carter is at another level. I’m not sure the guy spent a second since 1981 putting himself first. Even highly regarded ex-Prezs have gone out and earned $10s if not 100s of million for themselves.  Carter flies economy class.

he just wants to help people. Hats off to him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2019 at 11:11 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah Carter is before my time and my understanding is that he probably got a raw deal but was also fairly ineffective as a president.  But if every president dedicated his life post office to the betterment of mankind in the same spirit and intensity as Jimmy Carter, the world would be a better place.  And an ineffective but admiral person would be a vast improvement over where we are right now.

Carter was dealt a tough hand but no one forced Volcker on him.  He also was a hawk who instigated the war in Afghanistan following that ghoul Brzezinski's advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Carter was dealt a tough hand but no one forced Volcker on him.  He also was a hawk who instigated the war in Afghanistan following that ghoul Brzezinski's advice.

the USSR invaded , murdered 1.5 million Afghan civilians, and the US rightfully helped the Afghan civilian militias to resist. I commend Carter for that effort and the continuation of the same project under Reagan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NowThis said:

the USSR invaded , murdered 1.5 million Afghan civilians, and the US rightfully helped the Afghan civilian militias to resist. I commend Carter for that effort and the continuation of the same project under Reagan.

This was prior to the Soviet invasion numbnuts.  It was Brzezinski's plan to destabilize the country using the CIA so the Soviets would be drawn into the conflict that they would not easily extricate themselves from.  You really commend Carter for helping bring that war to pass?  Are you fucking psychotic?

Edited by Fozzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This was prior to the Soviet invasion numbnuts.  It was Brzezinski's plan to destabilize the country using the CIA so the Soviets would be drawn into the conflict that they would not easily extricate themselves from.  You really commend Carter for helping bring that war to pass?  Are you fucking psychotic?

The Soviets had no justification to invade Afghanistan. Seems you are justifying that and ignoring the Afghan catastrophe.  Carter did not "bring that war to pass", 100% of that blame is on the Soviets, US meddling in Afghan politics aside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

The Soviets had no justification to invade Afghanistan. Seems you are justifying that and ignoring the Afghan catastrophe.  Carter did not "bring that war to pass", 100% of that blame is on the Soviets, US meddling in Afghan politics aside.

lol so Carter gets no blame for having the CIA run around Afghanistan in 1979 supporting the head chopping rebels?  Get the fuck out of here.

Edited by Fozzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

lol so Carter gets no blame for having the CIA run around Afghanistan in 1979 supporting the head chopping rebels?  Get the fuck out of here.

to blame Carter for the Soviet invasion and not to blame the actual Soviets - now that's rich.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...