Jimmy Carter

cactusflinthead

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I've always thought about going to a naturalization ceremony and I've just never done it.  Shame on me.  

Shame on me too. I need to attend one of these ceremonies ASAP. Several months back a man came in with his family to eat lunch. I did not immediately make the connection of why he had an American flag pin on his jacket. I asked him what the occasion was that he and his family were celebrating and he said he had just been sworn in as a US citizen!

So this is pretty awesome I think to be able to serve this man and his family on this day. I ask him why this restaurant for his celebration. His first job was in this place and he started as a dishwasher 20 years ago. (A manager that hired him was not there that day, but he vividly remembered him when I said he came in and why.) I asked him what was the hardest part of his journey and his answer made me laugh a good bit. He says “Working at this place!” What a wonderful moment he and his family had being able to bring his wife and children to the job where his American dream started two decades ago. Moments like that stick with me and it makes what President Carter does all the more remarkable in his service to people just like this man.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I've always thought about going to a naturalization ceremony and I've just never done it.  Shame on me.  

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Shame on me too. I need to attend one of these ceremonies ASAP.

Just a warning - they are not places to find women or men looking for a green card marriage.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, BamaATL said:

There were hundreds in my ceremony. I always pictured immigrants to be from Asia, the Middle East and Africa, but there were a lot of caucasians as well. I embarrassed that I looked at immigration the way dotard did. Anyway, it was cool seeing so many people pledging allegiance to the US probably for their first time. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I stood for my friend Hany (Egyptian) at his ceremony.  It got dusty.

Where was this? The naturalization ceremony in LA was so packed that only the new Americans could attend. Friends and family had to stay outside.

And yeah, it was pretty cool so many people were taking pictures with their families and celebrating their new home country. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Where was this? The naturalization ceremony in LA was so packed that only the new Americans could attend. Friends and family had to stay outside.

St. Louis.  I'm guessing maybe 4-5 dozen new Americans, and friends and family were in the balcony.  Hany's family was all in Beirut (but Egyptian by birth), so he asked me to be his witness.  I was fucking honored, and I made him buy me a steak dinner LOL.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Her life in pictures:

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/photos-rosalynn-carter-through-the-years/VPHNEHS2KVAQHFQPHDV5TMRRMI/

My favorite quote from her from an interview about 3 years ago: "I’ve watched my family grow, I’ve traveled around the world and I’ve had a chance to contribute some, I think."

I think she did a bit more than just contribute.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

RIP.  She and her husband were/are quality human beings who cared about helping others.

So, in the parlance of today's America...."communist enemies of the state."

Their ethic is the diametric opposite of our national ethic right now.  It's horrifying to watch, and it makes the loss of decent souls like her and Jimmy that much more painful for us all.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if they told jimmy about Rosalyn. Or if they even needed to. 

Jimmy released a statement yesterday.

“Rosalynn was my equal partner in everything I ever accomplished,” President Carter said. “She gave me wise guidance and encouragement when I needed it. As long as Rosalynn was in the world, I always knew somebody loved and supported me.”

https://www.cartercenter.org/news/pr/2023/statement-rosalynn-carter-111923.html

• Hook 'Em 2

Do any of you olds (like me) recall her name often being pronounced "rah-za-lynn" as opposed to "rose-a-lynn"?  It's pretty clear the latter is the accepted pronunciation, or at least that was the way Jimmy said it (but he also said "nuke-u-lar" and he was a nuclear engineer, so who knows?).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Team Rah-za-lynn here. Of course I'm old enough to remember that godawful sitcom Carter Country with Victor Grench and Kene Holiday. "Handle it, handle it!"

I can't recall her name being spoken much in the last couple of decades but my memory was that it was Rah-za-lynn from when he was President. Even if my main memory is from Dan Ackroyd as Carter on SNL.

• Hook 'Em 1

my mom told me yesterday that she has been getting Christmas cards from the Carter's for 20 years.  She said they always have uplifting messages and have never asked for money.

it's just amusing to me that the MAGA fake Christians have such disdain for these people while they worship at the alter of the anti version...

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

The Carters were pretty much the archetypical Christian couple.  Committed to each other for life, dedicated to their community (Habitat for Humanity, etc.), but admittedly flawed (Jimmy "lusted in his heart").  I honestly can't think of anyone in politics with that resume.

• Hook 'Em 3

My (former) uncle was Secret Service (and a cheating asshole).  He guarded Richard Nixon, and was able to introduce my sister and I to him.  After Nixon he was assigned to Tricia Nixon, Dick's daughter, and didn't pick up the Ford or Carter details.  However, he did try to get us in to meet Carter, taking my sister and I to just outside the Oval Office, and parking us in the Cabinet room.  The Oval Office door was open and Carter was at his desk.  My uncle went to speak with the on duty Secret Service guys to see if we could meet Carter . . . no dice.  At least we got a peek, and got to sit at the Cabinet table.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Jimmy has to be a fast follow here right? If I've learned anything from romanticism, loving couples usually pass away within days/weeks of each other due to heartbreak and ready-to-go-ism

If they believe in an afterlife, which the Carters clearly did/do, then one of the biggest factors is the anticipation of "rejoining" their deceased spouse.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My (former) uncle was Secret Service (and a cheating asshole).  He guarded Richard Nixon, and was able to introduce my sister and I to him.  After Nixon he was assigned to Tricia Nixon, Dick's daughter, and didn't pick up the Ford or Carter details.  However, he did try to get us in to meet Carter, taking my sister and I to just outside the Oval Office, and parking us in the Cabinet room.  The Oval Office door was open and Carter was at his desk.  My uncle went to speak with the on duty Secret Service guys to see if we could meet Carter . . . no dice.  At least we got a peek, and got to sit at the Cabinet table.

I read this as your uncle banged Tricia Nixon. 

• Haha 2

On 11/20/2023 at 5:55 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

That photo on the right is from 2011 (Betty Ford's funeral).  Carter looks amazingly spry for 84 at the time, compared to 89 year old Nancy Reagan. Even photos from 2 years later, at 86, she didn't need a cane or a walker, while 90 year old Barbara did. 

• Hook 'Em 1