Jimmy Carter

cactusflinthead

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Many only go into hospice care in the final days but it’s more about forgoing curative medicine and dealing with comfort. Some people could last years.

Ten years ago they'd changed hospice qualification to a prognosis of death within 6 months. My father had no one thing bringing him down, so this gave the doctor lattitude for prescribing hospice care which Dad, still competent, was glad to do. It is an abandonment of curative care for afflictions that are leading to death. Of course, he would get treatment for transient ailments.

He was a competent shot-caller to the end. Even made the decision to cease bi-pap treatment on his own when no family was present. Tough old bird.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

e7bb7960a9bc3de67ac02ada6adb356e.jpg

Cute. But the eggs we eat are unfertilized. If you ever cracked open a fertilized egg, you’d know it. And you wouldn’t eat it. (Well, maybe you would. I mean, you can. But they’re kind of gross. They’re bloody. We always just threw them out.)

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Cute. But the eggs we eat are unfertilized. If you ever cracked open a fertilized egg, you’d know it. And you wouldn’t eat it. (Well, maybe you would. I mean, you can. But they’re kind of gross. They’re bloody. We always just threw them out.)

Serves you right to waste costly eggs like that when the carton clearly says, "Caution, bloody and unfertilized eggs"   That's why I only eat brown eggs.  Sure they taste like ass, but they can't get fertilized that way even after their bloody period.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, some patients come OFF hospice care.  

It was absolutely the right thing for my Dad.  His nurses were fantastic.  Angels on earth.

True for both of my parents. Mother needed months of care due to cancer. Dad got exactly what he needed during the swift decline. His nurse helped me decide what to do and how it should be done. I have nothing but admiration for anyone I've come across in any capacity with a hospice organization.

• Hook 'Em 5

My Dad became very close with his primary hospice nurse.  After he passed, we went back to bring her a small gift and found out she had been fired because she got to work 10 minutes late one day.

Sometimes, justice simply doesn't exist.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

^

that's messed up.  I'd like to meet her boss.  

I remember when our second was born, there was just a bevy of wonderful nurses.  And it was such a relief from our first birth experience.  I broke down and thanked one of them and said something like, "Thank you for ferrying another soul into this world."  And we both got choked up.  And she explained that she had also worked as a hospice nurse and ferried souls the other way, too.  And that she felt fulfillment in both equally, as they are both essential parts of the human experience.  I have known people who went into hospice and died that same day.  Others lasted several months, maybe years.  We are totally alone in the moment we are born.  We are totally alone in the moment when we die.  I'd like to think there is someone with us right before we get here, and someone with us right after we leave.  But in those murky middle moments, there are hopefully compassionate nurses who have a higher calling to shepherd us one way or the other.  

I hope Jimmy Carter has that same experience.  He deserves it.  Maybe we all do.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Ten years ago they'd changed hospice qualification to a prognosis of death within 6 months. My father had no one thing bringing him down, so this gave the doctor lattitude for prescribing hospice care which Dad, still competent, was glad to do. It is an abandonment of curative care for afflictions that are leading to death. Of course, he would get treatment for transient ailments.

He was a competent shot-caller to the end. Even made the decision to cease bi-pap treatment on his own when no family was present. Tough old bird.

There are also many stories of fraud in the hospice industry. Like what was seen with the opioid pandemic, docs can be "encouraged" to talk patients into hospice care. Sometimes the patient isn't even aware they're on home hospice care. They're just sold on the idea because they're told that they can receive home care.

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 12:15 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There are also many stories of fraud in the hospice industry. Like what was seen with the opioid pandemic, docs can be "encouraged" to talk patients into hospice care. Sometimes the patient isn't even aware they're on home hospice care. They're just sold on the idea because they're told that they can receive home care.

This has not been my experience either with loved ones or patients. I’m not sure how you can “fraudulently” be on hospice. The requirements are a terminal illness (which can be pretty broadly defined), and for patients living past 6 months the status is subject to review/renewal every 90 days or so thereafter.  All life extending medications and treatments are stopped when you enroll. I would imagine a patient and their family members would start asking a whole lot of questions were the doctor to stop their BP, heart, and diabetes prescriptions without warning or explanation. 

Also you have to put out of hospital DNR consents on the front and back doors and are instructed to call the on-call hospice nurse instead of 911 for medical issues after hours. Comfort measures, including surgery to stabilize fractures, are still covered and routinely performed 

For us it was a godsend and allowed my mother to spend her last days at home with my stepfather, and allowed him to care for her without risk of injury to himself, as he has significant health issues as well. Hospice caregivers are among the most caring and empathetic individuals I have met. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

This has not been my experience either with loved ones or patients. I’m not sure how you can “fraudulently” be on hospice. The requirements are a terminal illness (which can be pretty broadly defined), and for patients living past 6 months the status is subject to review/renewal every 90 days or so thereafter.  All life extending medications and treatments are stopped when you enroll. I would imagine a patient and their family members would start asking a whole lot of questions were the doctor to stop their BP, heart, and diabetes prescriptions without warning or explanation. 

Also you have to put out of hospital DNR consents on the front and back doors and are instructed to call the on-call hospice nurse instead of 911 for medical issues after hours. Comfort measures, including surgery to stabilize fractures, are still covered and routinely performed 

For us it was a godsend and allowed my mother to spend her last days at home with my stepfather, and allowed him to care for her without risk of injury to himself, as he has significant health issues as well. Hospice caregivers are among the most caring and empathetic individuals I have met. 

Overall hospice is great but there are many stories of abuse in the system.

Overall story about hospice fraud or misrepresentation: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/12/05/how-hospice-became-a-for-profit-hustle

A twenty-nine-year-old pregnant woman learned that she’d been enrolled in Revelation Hospice, in the Mississippi Delta (which at one time discharged ninety-three per cent of its patients alive), only when she visited her doctor for a blood test.

I find this story has an air around that reminds me of the opioid crisis. The industry CAN be shady in some areas especially when poor and/or uneducated people are involved.

Another story of Texas hospice exec sentenced to 20 years in prison for fraud: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/owner-texas-chain-hospice-companies-sentenced-150-million-health-care-fraud-and-money

Of course, fraud and criminal activities should be investigated and prosecuted. 

I will only add that my experience of hospice care and acquaintance with a hospice nurse is that they are fantastic people doing essential work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Overall hospice is great but there are many stories of abuse in the system.

Overall story about hospice fraud or misrepresentation: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/12/05/how-hospice-became-a-for-profit-hustle

I find this story has an air around that reminds me of the opioid crisis. The industry CAN be shady in some areas especially when poor and/or uneducated people are involved.

Another story of Texas hospice exec sentenced to 20 years in prison for fraud: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/owner-texas-chain-hospice-companies-sentenced-150-million-health-care-fraud-and-money

I can give you stories of people who don’t need DME getting that as well. It doesn’t mean we should stop paying for fracture braces

17 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I can give you stories of people who don’t need DME getting that as well. It doesn’t mean we should stop paying for fracture braces

Cool. I provided you with links that do demonstrate fraud in hospice. And don't throw an accusation that I implied we should eliminate hospice care because of the fraud and abuse. I never said one such thing so leave the gaslighting at home.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cool. I provided you with links that do demonstrate fraud in hospice. And don't throw an accusation that I implied we should eliminate hospice care because of the fraud and abuse. I never said one such thing so leave the gaslighting at home.

I have no doubt that fraud and abuse occur in hospice, as they do an every industry that has the government as a payer. Forgive me if I took your comparing it to the opioid industry as a wholesale criticism of the industry. Drawing that conclusion from your posts seems reasonable to me. 

It’s all coming together for ol’ Jimmy. He never lied when he was President, he’s devoted his life to helping human kind since leaving office, and now it’s time for the payday. All that effort was just a smokescreen to distract us from his ultimate goal — grifting the hospice system. He’s laughing all the way to his grave. 

• Haha 2

On 3/20/2023 at 9:57 AM, RomaVicta said:

My mother was on hospice for years.  She was a lot younger than Carter, but had terminal cancer and was given less than 6 months to live (a prognosis that never changed) and managed to live more than 5 years after that prognosis, despite not receiving treatment.

Edit to add:  Just telling this story to say that it can happen, not that it's likely.  And honestly, her quality of life when she was on hospice was piss poor given how sick she was that entire time.   

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2023 at 8:55 PM, lemonlime said:

My mother was on hospice for years.  She was a lot younger than Carter, but had terminal cancer and was given less than 6 months to live (a prognosis that never changed) and managed to live more than 5 years after that prognosis, despite not receiving treatment.

Edit to add:  Just telling this story to say that it can happen, not that it's likely.  And honestly, her quality of life when she was on hospice was piss poor given how sick she was that entire time.   

Hospice care isn’t meant for good quality of life. It’s meant for comfort and pain management at end of life.  

• 1 month later...

Didn't know where else to put this, interesting article:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/nation/2023/09/27/jimmy-carter-99th-birthday-celebrations-moved-government-shutdown/70983598007/

What's happening this week with former Presidents and Jimmy Carter trying to go out in peace.  Surreal.  Hope he enjoys his 99th!  I won't make it to 99 because I'll probably die the day after Trump does after seeing how much crystal meth I can shove into my ear drums while shooting an AR-15 at the moon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

glad the bump wasn't what I feared, yet.  Read this one the other day.

Jimmy Carter’s Final Chapter: Peanut Butter Ice Cream and His 99th Birthday
Mr. Carter was already the longest-living president in American history, but his staying power even in hospice has captured the imagination of admirers around the world.

By Peter Baker
Peter Baker has covered the past five presidents and interviewed Jimmy Carter during his post-presidency.

Sept. 21, 2023

Maybe it’s the peanut butter ice cream he still enjoys. Or the fact that his first-place Atlanta Braves are cruising toward the playoffs and he wants to see another World Series. Or as many of his loved ones and former advisers suggest, maybe he is just too stubborn to follow anyone else’s timetable.

Whatever the reason, seven months after entering hospice care, Jimmy Carter is still hanging on, thank you very much, and is in fact heading toward his 99th birthday in just over a week. While nearly everyone, including his family, assumed that the end was imminent when he gave up full-scale medical care last winter, the farmer-turned-president has once again defied expectations.

“We thought at the beginning of this process that it was going to be in five or so days,” Jason Carter, his grandson, said in an interview, recalling the former president’s decision to check out of the hospital and go into hospice care at his home in Plains, Ga., last February. “I was down there with him in the hospital and then said goodbye. And then we thought it was going to be in that week that it was coming to the end. And it’s just now been seven months.”

Mr. Carter was already the longest-living president in American history, but his staying power even in hospice has captured the imagination of many admirers around the world. It has generated an extended farewell, one that was unplanned yet remarkably affectionate for a president who was turned out of power by voters after a single term yet transformed his legacy with decades of service that earned him the Nobel Peace Prize.

In the months since he returned to his small-town home to meet his final fate, the outpouring of remembrances has been heartening to his family and friends. Instead of a memorial service he could not attend, Mr. Carter has experienced a living eulogy, soaking up tributes from around the globe. Relatives and advisers say he is aware of what has been written and said, and is deeply grateful.

“He’s got so much joy in seeing his presidency and post-presidency revisited,” said Paige Alexander, the chief executive of the Carter Center, the nonprofit institution that served as the base for his philanthropic work over the last four decades. “In many ways, that keeps him going — along with peanut butter ice cream.”

Mr. Carter has withdrawn from the active life he led until not that long ago. The regular calls with Ms. Alexander are no longer so regular. What animated him for so long were not the ins and outs of the daily news but the projects he devoted his life to, like eradicating certain diseases from developing countries.

“He wasn’t asking about politics or the economy,” Ms. Alexander recalled. “He just wanted to know what the Guinea worm count was.”

While Mr. Carter has good days and bad days, he has not lost his perspicacity or his sometimes curmudgeonly sense of humor. Ms. Alexander recalled a telephone conversation over the summer when she mentioned his upcoming big day.

“If I don’t talk to you before your birthday, happy birthday,” she recalled telling him.

“I’m going to be 99,” he replied. “I’m not sure what’s so happy about that.”

Nonetheless, the Carter family, both those who are blood relations and those who are part of his longtime circle, are planning various celebrations to mark his century-minus-one milestone on Oct. 1.

The Carter Center is asking supporters to send pictures or videos that will be arranged in a digital mosaic. It collected 6,000 in the first three days, from celebrities like Martin Sheen and Jeff Daniels as well as everyday people from Africa and around the world. Peter Gabriel led an audience in a round of “Happy Birthday, Jimmy” at Madison Square Garden on Monday night.

The next night, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation presented its lifetime achievement award to Mr. Carter and his wife, Rosalynn Carter, with Ms. Alexander collecting on their behalf. The Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum will hold a naturalization swearing-in ceremony for new American citizens on his birthday. David Osborne, known as the “pianist to the presidents,” will perform at Mr. Carter’s Maranatha Baptist Church.

Editors’ Picks

What to Know About Paxlovid Rebound

Satellites Show Mysterious Fairy Circles in More Parts of the World

How Much Coffee Is Too Much Coffee?
Mr. Carter was not suffering any particular ailment that prompted him to enter hospice care last February, according to people close to him, but was tired of being in and out of the hospital and wanted to spend his final days at home with Mrs. Carter. Hospice is defined as care for terminally ill patients when the priority is not to provide further treatment but to reduce pain and discomfort toward the end of life. It is meant for patients not expected to live more than six months.

Perhaps it should have been no surprise that Mr. Carter would ignore that time frame. He has been defying death longer than anyone who ever served in the Oval Office. In 2015, he beat cancer that had spread to his brain. In 2019, he bounced back from several falls, including one that broke a hip. “He’s been faced with what he thought was the end multiple times,” Jason Carter said.

He spends his days now in the house where he and Mrs. Carter have lived since 1961, a two-bedroom, one-story rambler so plain that The Washington Post once calculated that it was worth less than the Secret Service vehicles parked out front. His children and grandchildren take turns visiting with them, and he has a crew of caregivers but has not seen a doctor in more than six months. President Biden calls from time to time to check in.

“It’s a day-to-day thing,” said Kim Fuller, his niece. The children sometimes read him news articles, and he catches Braves games on television. “They holler at the TV and do everything you do normally when you’re watching baseball,” Ms. Fuller said.

Mr. Carter can no longer teach Sunday school at Maranatha as he did for so many years — the church’s website says almost optimistically that he will not be teaching “until further notice” — so Ms. Fuller has taken over.

Her uncle watches her every Sunday on a live Facebook feed. At first, he would offer critiques. “He would let me know if I had said something that wasn’t quite the way it should be,” she said. “He doesn’t anymore. I kind of miss that. I would like for him to.”

Mrs. Carter, the genteel former first lady who made promoting mental health a cause while in the White House, announced in May that she had dementia, and the two of them spend days together quietly, recently celebrating their 77th anniversary. “She’s very happy,” Jason Carter said. “She’s reminiscing and remembering some of the great times she’s had.” As Ms. Alexander put it, “They continue to offer us lessons in dignity and grace.”

For Mrs. Carter’s 96th birthday last month, Ms. Fuller said she organized a butterfly release at the house. Ms. Fuller said her uncle was aware of his own upcoming birthday.

“He wants to reach 99, I know that,” she said. “The last month has been different for him,” she added, but “I am just praying every day that he makes it to 99.”

“It’s a bittersweet one,” she added. “We’ve all been on pins and needles since February. Every day’s a celebration.” But as her uncle has demonstrated time and again for nearly a century, no one will dictate to him. “He’s going to do exactly what he wants to do when he wants to do it.”

For Mr. Carter, any birthday celebration will be marked at home, surrounded by family.

“He’s really significantly limited physically and he is coming to the end, there’s no doubt about that,” Jason Carter said. “He is, I think, frustrated by that. But he is at home. He’s together with his wife. They’re in love. They’re at peace and you don’t get more from that. You certainly don’t get more than they got from this life. And the end is exactly how you would hope for it to be.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/21/us/politics/jimmy-carter-hospice.html?searchResultPosition=1

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

This man and the example he put forth with his life should never, ever be forgotten. This is how you live well. What a tremendous example he has set. His actions backed up his words. How many of us can really say that we have truly lived our life in the service of others instead of ourselves? I am just continually amazed at how he has never stopped trying to bring at least a small measure of joy into someone else’s life.

Also I met be petty for this, but whomever decided to have people representing 45 countries at the swearing in ceremony deserves a round of applause. First time in a good long while that that number represented something wonderful and important instead of what it has been attached to.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

This man and the example he put forth with his life should never, ever be forgotten. This is how you live well. What a tremendous example he has set. His actions backed up his words. How many of us can really say that we have truly lived our life in the service of others instead of ourselves? I am just continually amazed at how he has never stopped trying to bring at least a small measure of joy into someone else’s life.

Also I met be petty for this, but whomever decided to have people representing 45 countries at the swearing in ceremony deserves a round of applause. First time in a good long while that that number represented something wonderful and important instead of what it has been attached to.

Good point even Michael Jordan couldn't make 45 work.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
And he rocked a Hitler moustache
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I've always thought about going to a naturalization ceremony and I've just never done it.  Shame on me.  

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:24 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

He spends his days now in the house where he and Mrs. Carter have lived since 1961, a two-bedroom, one-story rambler so plain that The Washington Post once calculated that it was worth less than the Secret Service vehicles parked out front.

The "identity" in the "identity politics" of the red, southern, rural voting bloc instrumental in making Carter a one term president that is now unwavering in it's support of a rich man from north of Richmond is elusive and mysterious.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand
  • Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I've always thought about going to a naturalization ceremony and I've just never done it.  Shame on me.  

You should. Buddy of mine became a citizen, auditorium got dusty.  I’ll paraphrase what the judge overseeing ceremony said:

My great grandparents came from Ireland with nothing. They worked hard to give my grandparents a better life. In turn they also worked hard to give my parents a better life. I then watched as my parents worked to provide me, an only child, the education needed to attend law school, the first in our family to attend college. I consider it an honor to stand here before you, as a United States judge, to welcome you as Americans. I’m confident you will also follow the same path as my great grandparents and work to ensure your children’s children may stand where I am today.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

You should. Buddy of mine became a citizen, auditorium got dusty.  I’ll paraphrase what the judge overseeing ceremony said:

My great grandparents came from Ireland with nothing. They worked hard to give my grandparents a better life. In turn they also worked hard to give my parents a better life. I then watched as my parents worked to provide me, an only child, the education needed to attend law school, the first in our family to attend college. I consider it an honor to stand here before you, as a United States judge, to welcome you as Americans. I’m confident you will also follow the same path as my great grandparents and work to ensure your children’s children may stand where I am today.

I think this is why I need to make it a priority.  For those of us from here, of multiple generations, like myself, it's just so easy to take for granted all that we afforded simply by being.  You look at these people that have given so much to get here and to finally realize a dream, it really does make me appreciate all that I do have.  It makes me proud that we can do this, and extremely happy for these people.  It also makes me extraordinarily angry that people attempt to demonize these folks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think they don't broadcast the citizenship/naturalization ceremonies here because it just turns into a non-stop boasting of Texan witnesses who can't shut the fuck up about how many generations back their family goes.  i love this state but the incessant, "Bob Smith here, 5th generation Texan" is a fucking beating.  If your opening salvo to your life's greatest achievement is something you had nothing to do with, maybe shut the fuck up about it.  Real people are putting in real work to be a real asset to a real country.  Nobody cares your mom got laid in Houston.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Love this particular ygifs bit. Seriously.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Bob Smith here, 5th generation Texan" is a fucking beating.

But seriously, how many of the people that you meet with that pedigree are named “Bob Smith”? I mean, most of the people I know that can fill out that card are either Hispanic surnames or have an alphorn in their closet they can toot. 

Edited by Anastasis

I knew the old boy would make it past his birthday this year. He is very competitive, and I believe he made it because he could, and fuck all the Bush fucks. His wife forgetting who he or she is, is unfathomable. He has been through much but that has to be the hardest thing when your human, the one person you are most connected to, doesn't quite remember who you are. You win, Jimmy. May the pain of your loss not fold you in half. I wish you the best.

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

But seriously, how many of the people that you meet with that pedigree are named “Bob Smith”? I mean, most of the people I know that can fill out that card are either Hispanic surnames or have an alphorn in their closet they can toot. 

I thought to myself, "Surely he knows 'Bob Smith' is a placeholder, a hyperbolic nametag."  Then I remembered you have the sense of humor and critical thinking skillset of a Walgreen's pharmacist on his 15-minute lunch break.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I thought to myself, "Surely he knows 'Bob Smith' is a placeholder, a hyperbolic nametag."  Then I remembered you have the sense of humor and critical thinking skillset of a Walgreen's pharmacist on his 15-minute lunch break.  

Just work a Wilhelm in and a German surname when you run the bit the next and it will actually be believable. 

Sorry dude, court orders.  I’m not allowed to use other German names.  Rex Kramer should be along shortly to post my own Swabian name. ;) 

also smith=schmidt.  Your knowledge of German surnames bottles the kampf

Edited by YGIFS

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Sorry dude, court orders.  I’m not allowed to use other German names.  Rex Kramer should be along shortly to post my own Swabian name. ;) 

I don’t know what a Swabian is. But i am interested in their cuisine as a matter of course. 

21 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

also smith=schmidt.  Your knowledge of German surnames bottles the kampf

My people have a very confused take on the german language. Unfortunately, my grandfather was not too keen to pass his particular dialect to his children after WWII, so now it not only dies in France but also in Central Texas. And to add insult to injury, we got our surnames all butchered by people that didn't know what umlauts were. But it kinds helped with the record keeping, at the time. 

Edited by Anastasis

My wife’s cousin was just here for KU game. He loves the history of Volga Catholics who made their way to Germany and eventually Kansas where he is a priest now.  Every time he visits, he asks about all the road signs with German names and wonders why a place filled with Mexicans and French would have so many Germanic names.  I just smile and nod, maybe we’ll get to Czech next time as well.