Tom Herman is a 2nd place coach

Brothahorn

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Really?  I know you know better.  You know what an "inflection point" means.  This team lost by 7 against a team favored by 10.5+  and you call that an "inflection point"?

Don't make me break out the calculus.

And looked like fucking shit doing it.  If Hurts doesn't fuck up, we lose by 21 or worse.

800px-X_cubed_plot.svg.png

A change in direction in an otherwise positively sloped curve, in Herman's case.

Until this point, Tom's teams have "outpeformed" when underdogs and underperformed when favorites.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

Some of the worst coaching, tackling, and effort I’ve seen from a Texas team.  The coaches got punked and the players got punked.  BJ Foster played terrible.  If he’s injured, sit him.  Sam played terrible.  O-line played terrible.  The WRs dropped multiple big plays that hit them in the hands.  Keontay Ingram was non existent.  

This game really wasn’t close at all.  We should feel lucky Jalen Hurts can’t handle pressure and turned it over in the end zone twice.  This was a butt whooping and Herman should look in the mirror and ask himself why he came into this game with the most unimaginative game plan I’ve seen since fucking GD was calling plays here.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy shit,  you bitches whined about Mack Brown being a wall flower for years, and now you're pissed that we have a coach who actually has a fucking backbone?

AGAIN, I hate Texas fans.   "We" are absolutely the most coddled, spoiled rotten shitty ass fans in college football, and it's not even close.  "WE" haven't earned shit for a decade and you twats want a national title out of the blue.

Fuck you.  Grow up, learn to observe general trends, stop freaking out at the natural speed bumps, and be a fucking man for once in your life.  Otherwise, tell us who we should hire, and we'll all laugh at your stupid ass.

Fucking Texas fans. Cunts the lot of em. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy shit,  you bitches whined about Mack Brown being a wall flower for years, and now you're pissed that we have a coach who actually has a fucking backbone?

AGAIN, I hate Texas fans.   "We" are absolutely the most coddled, spoiled rotten shitty ass fans in college football, and it's not even close.  "WE" haven't earned shit for a decade and you twats want a national title out of the blue.

Fuck you.  Grow up, learn to observe general trends, stop freaking out at the natural speed bumps, and be a fucking man for once in your life.  Otherwise, tell us who we should hire, and we'll all laugh at your stupid ass.

Fuck you too, Jimmy. Grow up and learn to read. I'm just asking that the team show up for their biggest game of the season(so far) against their biggest conference rival. Win the damn conference and then we'll talk about a national title. What signs/trends do you see as a positive for the 2nd game. Hell, we haven't even fixed the special teams issues from two games ago.

It's not a natural speed bump, if the whole fucking team doesn't show up. It's an unprepared team getting their ass kicked.

Holler all you want about Texas fans, but you should hate that once again the team doesn't show up against our biggest rival. I hate fans like you, who have become conditioned to accept that. Thankfully, the 2nd place team isn't tied to the Citrus bowl, or they could recycle the old Steve Spurrier jokes.

I think Orlando coaches his scheme well.  I'm not sure his scheme works against the best teams -- it was moderately successful today, if I squint.

I cannot overlook what Grinch has done for OU.  I'll be watching, but it appears that he was a great hire, and I have no doubt he is able to scheme because he works for an elite offensive coach.  They're working together, but however it goes, it works.  Kudos to OU.  

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I think Orlando coaches his scheme well.  I'm not sure his scheme works against the best teams -- it was moderately successful today, if I squint.

I cannot overlook what Grinch has done for OU.  I'll be watching, but it appears that he was a great hire, and I have no doubt he is able to scheme because he works for an elite offensive coach.  They're working together, but however it goes, it works.  Kudos to OU.  

Orlando struggles with dual threat, wide open offenses. Pretty good against boring dinosaur offenses like Georgia. He has STRUGGLED against Riley, Kliff, Dana, Gundy. 

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

yes they are

Yeah it's a little hard to admit, given the uptrend in recruiting, but OU hasn't had a bad season since the early aughts and has maintained steady good recruiting.  We're still filling the pipeline, baking the cake, if you will.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And looked like fucking shit doing it.  If Hurts doesn't fuck up, we lose by 21 or worse.

LOL.  What an absolutely indefensible take.  Hurts fucked up once by our great play and the second time because he got pinned and made a desperate pass.  How many stupid plays did we make and how are you debiting those in the accounting of this game?  Classic Texas fan.  Completely incapable of seeing the big picture.

By the way, all upward trajectories end in an inflection point, by definition, if we assume an absolute limit.  But you knew that.  If you think we're already peaking, OK, but I think that's a stupid perspective.  

23 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Oh how quickly everyone forgets about Maryland squared.

this.  getting outcoached by maryland with maryland players is horrid.  Orlando's D did their job today for 3.5 quarters.  the problem I have with Orlando is the D shits the bed against a couple of nobodies every year.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah it's a little hard to admit, given the uptrend in recruiting, but OU hasn't had a bad season since the early aughts and has maintained steady good recruiting.  We're still filling the pipeline, baking the cake, if you will.

The only time they struggled was when they missed on QB, but they've managed to cheat their way out of that shit and let other people develop QBs for them.

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Fuck you too, Jimmy. Grow up and learn to read.

I read what you write.  Write better.

I'm just asking that the team show up for their biggest game of the season(so far) against their biggest conference rival. Win the damn conference and then we'll talk about a national title. What signs/trends do you see as a positive for the 2nd game. Hell, we haven't even fixed the special teams issues from two games ago.

It's not a natural speed bump, if the whole fucking team doesn't show up. It's an unprepared team getting their ass kicked.

Holler all you want about Texas fans, but you should hate that once again the team doesn't show up against our biggest rival. I hate fans like you, who have become conditioned to accept that. Thankfully, the 2nd place team isn't tied to the Citrus bowl, or they could recycle the old Steve Spurrier jokes.

Fuck you.  This team showed up big against OU a year ago -- what's your explanation?  Not Tom Herman?  They gave OU a run in the title game -- not Tom Herman?  They flattened UGA -- not Tom Herman?

Grow the fuck up and observe the big picture.

Yes, I hate Texas fans, most specifically ones like you.  You suck.  Life is hard, sometimes things don't work out, grow up and learn that lesson, but in the mean time, in case I didn't make it clear --  FUCK YOU.  You don't speak for Texas fans like me, but you sure are the loudest blowhard in the bar and you make us look bad in your reflected bullshit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Little Lincoln?   Guy owns Tom.  And Tom is a good coach.  Just deal with all those facts.  They’re painful after a loss - to your bitter rival.  It’s easier to blame it on a dumbass coach vs giving credit to a really good coach / your rival.  

No disrespect meant to Little Lincoln. But he is a sooner. You might be the best doc in Chiraq, but you're still a sooner, so..  Lincoln is a damn good coach. I remember him from the few minutes that ECU was ranked, with Ruffin. He stepped in and hasn't missed a beat pissing on us. Stoops did a great job, finding his replacement. I hated his hiring then and really hate it now. You couldn't couldn't ask for more in his first HC job. Part of the reason I created the thread.

Meanwhile, his main competition in his 2nd HC job is still clueless at times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

No disrespect meant to Little Lincoln. But he is a sooner. You might be the best doc in Chiraq, but you're still a sooner, so..  Lincoln is a damn good coach. I remember him from the few minutes that ECU was ranked, with Ruffin. He stepped in and hasn't missed a beat pissing on us. Stoops did a great job, finding his replacement. I hated his hiring then and really hate it now. You couldn't couldn't ask for more in his first HC job. Part of the reason I created the thread.

Meanwhile, his main competition in his 2nd HC job is still clueless at times.

Fair.  I just think you’re emotional to write Tom off.  But I react the same way.  All good. 

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

I hate this logic so much.

The football players with the most talent are the ones that make the best football plays. And yes coaching is a part of that.

Is Hurts a better quarterback than Sam? I don't think so, but no one in their right mind would say Sam played better today. Is their o-line better than ours? Not really (though we are getting worse each game), yet we gave up 8 or 9 sacks whereas they marched up and down the field. OU had a better game plan and executed it better. We seemed to go away from what we do well. That's bad coaching.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LOL.  What an absolutely indefensible take.  Hurts fucked up once by our great play and the second time because he got pinned and made a desperate pass.  How many stupid plays did we make and how are you debiting those in the accounting of this game?  Classic Texas fan.  Completely incapable of seeing the big picture.

By the way, all upward trajectories end in an inflection point, by definition, if we assume an absolute limit.  But you knew that.  If you think we're already peaking, OK, but I think that's a stupid perspective.  

I sure hope Trump loses or is removed from office, because you have become almost intolerably salty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fair.  I just think you’re emotional to write Tom off.  But I react the same way.  All good. 

By no means am I writing him off. I would rather make threads like this than deal with the results of Non Caring Mack and Clueless Cholly. But, until Herman proves me wrong, he is what is record says he is..A 2nd place coach. In a 2 team league.

I'll be at whatever 2nd place bowl we end up in.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Like 1

Is Hurts a better quarterback than Sam? I don't think so, but no one in their right mind would say Sam played better today. Is their o-line better than ours? Not really (though we are getting worse each game), yet we gave up 8 or 9 sacks whereas they marched up and down the field. OU had a better game plan and executed it better. We seemed to go away from what we do well. That's bad coaching.

Yes I think Hurts is a better QB than Sam and I think their oline is better than ours.

Ou had a better player at every position today. 2.5 years in, that’s on Herman.

Riley coaches circles around him. That’s also on Herman.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I sure hope Trump loses or is removed from office, because you have become almost intolerably salty.

LOL.  I've been this way after Chicken Little responses to UT losses for 37 years.  That said, you are welcome to not tolerate me all you want, but I am consistent, and loyal.  Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

By no means am I writing him off. I would rather make threads like this than deal with the results of Non Caring Mack and Clueless Cholly. But, until Herman proves me wrong, he is what is record says he is..A 2nd place coach. In a 2 team league.

I'll say this nicely -- if we beat the teams we should, which is "all of them", then we will get another crack at (likely) OU.  What if we win that game?

LOL.  I've been this way after Chicken Little responses to UT losses for 37 years.  That said, you are welcome to not tolerate me all you want, but I am consistent, and loyal.  Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

Oh I know.  You just seem extra strident about it.  Salty.

For the record, I'm not writing Herman off.  But one of his best aspects has been being well-prepared for big games.  One of his worst has been being poorly prepared for not-so-big games.  This is a very disheartening mixture of the tendencies.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I read what you write.  Write better.

Fuck you.  This team showed up big against OU a year ago -- what's your explanation?  Not Tom Herman?  They gave OU a run in the title game -- not Tom Herman?  They flattened UGA -- not Tom Herman?

Grow the fuck up and observe the big picture.

Yes, I hate Texas fans, most specifically ones like you.  You suck.  Life is hard, sometimes things don't work out, grow up and learn that lesson, but in the mean time, in case I didn't make it clear --  FUCK YOU.  You don't speak for Texas fans like me, but you sure are the loudest blowhard in the bar and you make us look bad in your reflected bullshit.

Again, did we win the conference, a year ago? Did we show up today?  What trends/previous results lead you to believe that next time will be any different? When does this HC/staff make adjustments from game to game? Half to half? Typical emotional response.

I don't want to speak for Texas fans like you, because you're fine with participation trophies.. Just as long as you get swallow the hype fuck what happens on the field.

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yes I think Hurts is a better QB than Sam and I think their oline is better than ours.

Ou had a better player at every position today. 2.5 years in, that’s on Herman.

Riley coaches circles around him. That’s also on Herman.

I really think Sam would win the Heisman w LR. And I’m no homer for OU on this board.  Sam is a really good QB.  
Hurts made several boneheaded plays and has weapons all over.  Sam would kill it if he had the room to run that Jalen does + those weapons all over.  Jalen is VERY overrated.  

• Like 2

Just now, Brothahorn said:

Again, did we win the conference, a year ago? Did we show up today?  What trends/previous results lead you to believe that next time will be any different? When does this HC/staff make adjustments from game to game? Half to half? Typical emotional response.

I don't want to speak for Texas fans like you, because you're fine with participation trophies.. Just as long as you get swallow the hype fuck what happens on the field.

This perspective lets you dismiss positive information.  I won't stoop to such irrational behavior.  You'll always look for the most negative outlook and cherry pick whatever data lets you do so.  Not my style of living.  Carry on.

It appears that Lincoln is a better coach at the same or a similar point in his career.

However, he was handed a program that was a ready-made top-tier team:  solid recruiting, a full, mostly decent staff, good culture.  Not what Herman got at all.

To his infinite credit, though, Riley spotted an obvious weakness and decisively rectified it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

I meant in our conference. Probably better for us, we don't have another traditional power to compete against every year.

And yet that shit oline, helped keep us in the game with LSU. Maybe if the coaching would have been better, we win. So the oline is no excuse for that 1st half performance.

9 sacks and multiple hurries, the oline is shit

34 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Some of the worst coaching, tackling, and effort I’ve seen from a Texas team.  The coaches got punked and the players got punked.  BJ Foster played terrible.  If he’s injured, sit him.  Sam played terrible.  O-line played terrible.  The WRs dropped multiple big plays that hit them in the hands.  Keontay Ingram was non existent.  

Understand the venting...

Not sure how these two statements coexist. Sam ran the ball well enough.  If you add in the drops of "big plays," how does one surmised that he played terrible?

20 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

you invoked parcells.....

57 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t know that I agree with that either, exactly. I think it’s a pretty good OL that had a really bad day. I also think our game plan didn’t do them any favors. But I agree with you in that I’m not down on Hand.

Is agree with this.   They had a shit game, but who didn’t on that field today?  Other than Rojo, it was a complete shit show and we were damn lucky to get out of their losing by a single TD.  Sam himself was responsible for a few of those hurries becoming sacks.  He had a few opportunities to get rid of the ball and chose to take the sack.  

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

It appears that Lincoln is a better coach at the same or a similar point in his career.

However, he was handed a program that was a ready-made top-tier team:  solid recruiting, a full, mostly decent staff, good culture.  Not what Herman got at all.

To his infinite credit, though, Riley spotted an obvious weakness and decisively rectified it.

I don't have a problem with acknowledging that Riley is better than Herman, based on what we've seen.

The question becomes, what do we do about it?  Do we fire Herman, and if so, in favor of whom?  Do we do nothing?  Do we pressure Herman to address his staff, or is it more of a recruiting issue?

I'm going to suggest, against my better judgement, that the following scores against top-tier competition don't quite suggest that the sky is falling, and that we might want to work to address the bigger weaknesses in our program, which probably aren't at the very top:

24-29

48-45

27-39

28-21

38-45

27-34

That's a 2-4 record against top competition in Herman's first 3 years, for a net margin of negative 3.5 points per game.

Is the sky really falling?

Herman isn't a 2nd place coach, Jesus. He has his faults, but let's tap the breaks. He's built back to back to back top 5  classes. If we make another NY6 bowl game with less than 3 losses, we're heading in the right direction. Even Meyer went from 12-1 title to 8-5 back to 12-1 title. Coaches have flaws, and Herman has his. Let him work them out. There is a reason his assistants have one year contracts. Surely he's smart enough to see Washington is a liability. Herman is doing better with underclassmen/transition class than I expected. We're year 3. Chill.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with acknowledging that Riley is better than Herman, based on what we've seen.

The question becomes, what do we do about it?  Do we fire Herman, and if so, in favor of whom?  Do we do nothing?  Do we pressure Herman to address his staff, or is it more of a recruiting issue?

I'm going to suggest, against my better judgement, that the following scores against top-tier competition don't quite suggest that the sky is falling, and that we might want to work to address the bigger weaknesses in our program, which probably aren't at the very top:

24-29

48-45

27-39

28-21

38-45

27-34

That's a 2-4 record against top competition in Herman's first 3 years, for a net margin of negative 3.5 points per game.

Is the sky really falling?

You should waste your level headed takes on a less moronic poster. Everyone with half a brain should be agreeing with you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1