Coming to grips with college football’s declining attendance

Beau Vine

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

There’s a point where these neutral site shitfests will lose their meaning. There is no reason Texas should be playing Maryland at Fed Ex. It should be at College Park. I’m okay with it since I’m staying in DC for the weekend and can do a lot more because of the location. But I’m happy Texas limits those to very few and most our marquees are home and home. That’s what our fans want. USC will be a sellout. 

Neutral field games are horrible for the season ticket holders. I hope CDC realizes that the neutral field money grabs only weakens the reason to get season tickets and they need season ticket holders to fill DKR-TMS. 

On its face, I wish we were playing on campus at Maryland but it's not like Maryland is an iconic football stadium/program though...

Edited by RD3
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Just because some marketing clowns at ESPN or wherever call something rivalry week doesn’t mean you need to manufacture a rival to play that week.  Let the children play those games.  Just worry about properly buttfucking Kansas.  

ESPN or Fox are doing it because we don't have the end of year rival.

17 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I love nothing more than not having to deal with them. Win, lose, or draw, they’re annoying retards. Games against them have hardly ever had any conference or national implications.

They’re a historically mediocre team. Fuck them. 

I know this is a popular opinion to have amongst the elite surlyhorns cabal but I think it would be shared by a very small minority of the actual UT fanbase at large. Fuck A&M for leaving the Big XII; however, you have to be truly insane to think that we are better off as a program by not playing them on T+1. Like what others have mentioned, interaction with other schools’ alumni makes rivalries fun and there is no school we come across with more alumni in Texas than A&M. Their stupid, weird traditions and little brother role was fun to rub in their fans’ faces. Beating them the day after Thanksgiving always started the holiday season on a fun note for me. We should have never considered moving to the Pac-8 and have discussions to do so with them. That and Missouri looking to move to the B1G started the chain reaction of Nebraska, Mizzou, A&M and Colorado leaving. The Big XII hasn’t recovered from losing an all-time Top 10 program in Nebraska.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I know this is a popular opinion to have amongst the elite surlyhorns cabal but I think it would be shared by a very small minority of the actual UT fanbase at large. Fuck A&M for leaving the Big XII; however, you have to be truly insane to think that we are better off as a program by not playing them on T+1. Like what others have mentioned, interaction with other schools’ alumni makes rivalries fun and there is no school we come across with more alumni in Texas than A&M. Their stupid, weird traditions and little brother role was fun to rub in their fans’ faces. Beating them the day after Thanksgiving always started the holiday season on a fun note for me. We should have never considered moving to the Pac-8 and have discussions to do so with them. That and Missouri looking to move to the B1G started the chain reaction of Nebraska, Mizzou, A&M and Colorado leaving. The Big XII hasn’t recovered from losing an all-time Top 10 program in Nebraska.

Lots to unpack here, I do agree with the loss of the rivalry game sucking. Things were always more interesting when we got to wipe our ass with aggy at the end of the year. That said, we were the epicenter of conference realignment, some by our making, and some by the making of the schools that left. But I disagree wholeheartedly with you saying we never recovered. We are the most profitable conference in terms of member payouts, and we have had at least one school in the MNC/Playoff conversation every year with exception of 1 or 2. Last year we had 5 ranked teams in conference at one point in the season. Neither aggy or Nebraska would have added one bit to that outcome last season or over the last several seasons.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Lots to unpack here, I do agree with the loss of the rivalry game sucking. Things were always more interesting when we got to wipe our ass with aggy at the end of the year. That said, we were the epicenter of conference realignment, some by our making, and some by the making of the schools that left. But I disagree wholeheartedly with you saying we never recovered. We are the most profitable conference in terms of member payouts, and we have had at least one school in the MNC/Playoff conversation every year with exception of 1 or 2. Last hear we had 5 ranked teams in conference at one point in the season. Neither aggy or Nebraska would have added one bit to that outcome last season or over the last several seasons.

Agreed. One problem I see with the Big 12 is they have no representation when it comes to ESPN CFB. Most of the analyst and reporters for ESPN CFB are from either the Big 10 or SEC, and they are all homers. 

• Like 1

1. thread should have been titled "current bitchassedness re: DKR in the late 20-teens"; my list is only things we can control/demand/dictate.

2. CDC to Bowlsby: effective immediately, all DKR kickoffs before 0u are to be at 7pm central.  If the league doesn't want to deal with it, we'll put those games on LHN.

3. CDC to Bowlsby: effective immediately, Fair Park is a 2pm or 3pm kickoff.  It would be nice if Castiglione would also add his signature.

4. CDC to Bowlsby: effective immediately, if we play a league game the week before Fair Park, it is a home game.  Also, see #2 above.

5. CDC to Bowlsby: effective immediately, our off-week follows Fair Park.

6. CDC to Bowlsby: on rivalry weekend, we play away on Saturday at 2pm.

7. Real Grass, with the same precise construction as Fair Park.

8. PMS 159.  End Zones.  Midfield.  Uniforms.

9. No names on the back.

10. LHB pumped through Zilla.

11. Cheer and Pom on Zilla.

12. Replays on Zilla.

13. Bevo on Zilla.

14. Either Orange or White Cheer is _not_ tumbling and stunting.  Said squad based on undergrad upperclassmen vote.

15. Junior and Senior scholarships for Pom, based on undergrad upperclassmen vote.

16. 50% of Fair Park tickets go to students by lottery, 4 per award, up to 4 can apply together.  Sections 6-15 100% foundation donation only. 

17. All vehicle traffic and parking spaces on campus on game day to be for tailgates only, and sold/permitted based on season ticket investment longevity regardless of Foundation donation history.

18. San Jacinto to be 100% pedestrian on game day.  No vehicles or parking at all.

19. For 90 minutes after the game, Red River, MLK, The Drag and 26th are one-way flowing clockwise, with no cross traffic.

20. For 90 minutes after the game, all traffic from the above cordon flows one way outward to 12th, Lamar, 30th/32nd, and the north 35 access road.

21. Camp Mabry MP in command of Camp Swift MP to administer and execute all game day parking and traffic.  No APD at all.  No aggy at all.

22. Cap-Metro game-day bus assault system.  FREE with your season ticket purchase, paid for by _________ named sponsor(s), subsidized by your Belmont season ticket purchase.  Ride the bus to your friend's tailgate.  Buses run beginning 3 hours before kickoff, last bus 90 minutes after kickoff.

23. Free parking with CCTV and armed security at bus assault system nodes at ACC Northridge, ACC Highland, ACC Montopolis and Barton Square.

24. Cap-Metro game-day bus assault system online webapp run by not Belmont and not Cap-Metro.  Outsourced, hosted and designed for browsers by humans, not for phones by millenials.

25. Forgot: CDC to Bowlsby/Castiglione - effective immediately in Fair Park, we'll move the dividing line one seat to the west on both sides of the stadium, and we get back the front of section 15.  If that doesn't even up the missing seats from section 33, then the balance comes from section 106 one seat at a time starting at the top and working down.  Having that block of thieves in section 15 is just stupid.

26. Dedicated Season Ticket Holder lines at Fletcher's on Fair Park game day.  Every 0-u ticket includes two (2) special Season Ticket Holder Fair Park Lottery Winner Fletcher's Vouchers each good for two (2) Fletcher's and two (2) Dr. Peppers made with Cane Sugar.  Electroshock systems for Fletcher's employees to get the lines moving.

27. Forgot: reduplicate The Grove on Speedway, the South Mall, all around The Tower, 24th, and every place in between DKR.

• Like 5

On 7/15/2018 at 12:49 PM, FondrenRoad said:

The real problem with that Tech Ole Miss game is that it's at an NFL stadium and not in Oxford or Lubbock. 

This shit is ruining college football in my eyes. I enjoy the on the field product of the NFL to college but what sets the 2 apart is the home field atmospheres of the college stadiums and the whole gameday experience not only on the field but tailgating. Stadiums built specifically for college football. Now more and more games are becoming neutral site games at the stale ass pro stadiums. It fucking sucks. Arkansas/Aggy should be played in Fayatteville and College Stadium. Not Jerry World. Baylor/Tech should be played in Waco and Lubbock not Jerry World. And then you had a Tennessee game played at Bristol Motor Speedway. What kind of wacky shit is that? But these pro stadiums have more suites and a lot of the time more seats. Equals more money. It's all a fucking money grab these days and it dilutes the product.

Some neutral site games are fine like Texas/OU. And a few others but the rest need to be played on campus. I remember awhile back Oklahoma played Cincy. They played at the Bengals stadium. It was stale and so many empty seats.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RD3 said:

Neutral field games are horrible for the season ticket holders. I hope CDC realizes that the neutral field money grabs only weakens the reason to get season tickets and they need season ticket holders to fill DKR-TMS. 

On its face, I wish we were playing on campus at Maryland but it's not like Maryland is an iconic football stadium/program though...

In general I agree and loathe the one-off neutral site games.

But I don't think Del Conte or anyone else in Bellmont are in any danger of signing us up for those types of neutral site games.  This upcoming one is Maryland's home game and they're choosing a nearby pro stadium rather than their home stadium.  The game against UCLA in Jerryworld in 2014 was THEIR home game that they chose to play in the state of Texas for their own reasons.

But from our side, other than TX-OU which I hope and pray never leaves the Cotton Bowl, Texas isn't about to sacrifice a home game in favor of a one-off neutral site game.  Aside from many other reasons, our wealthy donors with home luxury suites simply wouldn't allow it to happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Some of you have this weird fascination with the aggy game that it never merited. After everything they did in leaving the conference, they don’t deserve to play us. But let’s not act like it was a healthy rivalry over the preceding their chickenshit move. 

Flashback to the Bonfire game. 12 aggies were killed due to drunken negligence in the week leading up to our annual game. Texas bent over backwards to show sympathy and kindness to their university for several days. We held blood drives, among other things, to show that we’re all Texans and that we could come together to rise above tragedy. Mack Brown said all the right things as an ambassador of The University. And I knew we didn’t stand a chance in the game because we were focused on showing mercy and they were focused on winning the game to honor their senselessly killed brethren. 

How were we repaid? By shitty aggy fans lining the road into college station with nasty derogatory signs to greet our team buses. By shitty aggy fans calling our players’ rooms all hours of the night before game day, despite the hotel having been told that no calls should be put through to the rooms. By shitty hotel staff deliberately no-showing to cook breakfast for our team before the game. By having to eat at Jack in the Box or eating bowls of cereal before the game, and several of our players getting food poisoning. By a dumbass aggy fan yelling “beat the hell out of...” during a moment of silence while our band was playing a tribute to the needlessly killed aggies. Do you remember any big apologies from Texas A&M? Me, either  

That’s not a healthy rivalry. Those people are deranged. I won’t even bring back up the time (as I’ve mentioned here a few times) the looney 50-something aggy choked a Longhorn fan in the stands at the 2005 aggy game for no other reason than we were about to win the game. 

Not only should we never play them again, we should probably file a restraining order against them. Fuck those classless turds. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Some of you have this weird fascination with the aggy game that it never merited. After everything they did in leaving the conference, they don’t deserve to play us. But let’s not act like it was a healthy rivalry over the preceding their chickenshit move. 

Flashback to the Bonfire game. 12 aggies were killed due to drunken negligence in the week leading up to our annual game. Texas bent over backwards to show sympathy and kindness to their university for several days. We held blood drives, among other things, to show that we’re all Texans and that we could come together to rise above tragedy. Mack Brown said all the right things as an ambassador of The University. And I knew we didn’t stand a chance in the game because we were focused on showing mercy and they were focused on winning the game to honor their senselessly killed brethren. 

How were we repaid? By shitty aggy fans lining the road into college station with nasty derogatory signs to greet our team buses. By shitty aggy fans calling our players’ rooms all hours of the night before game day, despite the hotel having been told that no calls should be put through to the rooms. By shitty hotel staff deliberately no-showing to cook breakfast for our team before the game. By having to eat at Jack in the Box or eating bowls of cereal before the game, and several of our players getting food poisoning. By a dumbass aggy fan yelling “beat the hell out of...” during a moment of silence while our band was playing a tribute to the needlessly killed aggies. Do you remember any big apologies from Texas A&M? Me, either  

That’s not a healthy rivalry. Those people are deranged. I won’t even bring back up the time (as I’ve mentioned here a few times) the looney 50-something aggy choked a Longhorn fan in the stands at the 2005 aggy game for no other reason than we were about to win the game. 

Not only should we never play them again, we should probably file a restraining order against them. Fuck those classless turds. 

That's what rivalries are about. Pure regional or occupational or status Hate.

I am old enough to remember getting all geared up with hate for Arky, the Land Thieves, and the ags year after year. It only feels the same when we play the gooners now, unless some team pops off in bowl season with some trash talk or horns down. 

It hasn't felt the same ever since those SWC days, or at least not since Baylor has returned to their statistical mean.

And I suffered through the FedEx years, and that blew putrid chunks every November, but then we righted the ship and brought the Force back into alignment.

I just don't understand not wanting to beat their asses every year to shut them and their SEC! talk the fuck up. Aside from the old Nebraska - OU rivalry, I can't think of another one as important and visceral as this one that has been broken up by greed and idiocy.

Bama will never not play Auburn. More to the point, given that they are in different conferences, Iowa will never not play Iowa State. Colorado and CSU play every year. Utah and BYU do too.  Fuckin' Tennessee and Vanderbilt still play every year -- and I miss Texas playing Rice every year, as well.

Thanksgiving or the day after hasn't been the same since we've been playing Tech or TCU....And intersectional rivalries are for the likes of Notre Dame and USC, not us. 

Close to 120 years of tradition tossed in the trash. Hell yeah, it's mostly their fault, but it's a fucking shame, especially because we won three years out of every four. As it stands now, those idiots think they beat us every fucking year because they are SEC! and we are not. There's only one way to disabuse those simpletons of that notion, and that's on the field. 

• Like 2

I guess I'm old school and still enjoy getting out of the house, the outdoors on a great campus setting, drinking lots of beers, hearing the roar of the crowd, the marching band, high fiving my buddies and complete strangers, and everything that goes along with a great gameday atmosphere.  It helps that my wife doesn't like football and is fine being alone with the kids 6-7 Saturdays a year.  I can still enjoy my home setup for road games, but even then I like to get out to a bar or to a friends house to enjoy the camaraderie.  What a weirdo I am, I guess.
I dont think anyone will disagree with you on that principle...just saying they dont get what they pay for and gameday experience has weakened

Back in the 1970's, my Dad (RIP) predicted that TV would become so influential that the football games would all effectively be played in very big TV studios -- nobody would actually go to the games but would only watch them at home on screen.  He wasn't too far off.
Props to the visionary

7 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Lots to unpack here, I do agree with the loss of the rivalry game sucking. Things were always more interesting when we got to wipe our ass with aggy at the end of the year. That said, we were the epicenter of conference realignment, some by our making, and some by the making of the schools that left. But I disagree wholeheartedly with you saying we never recovered. We are the most profitable conference in terms of member payouts, and we have had at least one school in the MNC/Playoff conversation every year with exception of 1 or 2. Last year we had 5 ranked teams in conference at one point in the season. Neither aggy or Nebraska would have added one bit to that outcome last season or over the last several seasons.

One option:

I’ve been to well over 100 UT games

Also fuck aggy, but I really miss playing Arkie. I hate them almost as much as OU.
Arky hate is so much more imo.....arky has beat us in the big games and aggy is aggy

Little brothers who just cry and think they deserve what big bro has on 90% less work

Arky is like the kid down on the end of street that says how they are so good at sports and you beat him more than he beats you but you do have to step up and focus.....aggy is the kid that quits and takes ball home after he knows its pointless 25% into game
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am old enough to remember getting all geared up with hate for Arky, the Land Thieves, and the ags year after year. It only feels the same when we play the gooners now, unless some team pops off in bowl season with some trash talk or horns down. 

It hasn't felt the same ever since those SWC days, or at least not since Baylor has returned to their statistical mean.

And I suffered through the FedEx years, and that blew putrid chunks every November, but then we righted the ship and brought the Force back into alignment.

I just don't understand not wanting to beat their asses every year to shut them and their SEC! talk the fuck up. Aside from the old Nebraska - OU rivalry, I can't think of another one as important and visceral as this one that has been broken up by greed and idiocy.

Bama will never not play Auburn. More to the point, given that they are in different conferences, Iowa will never not play Iowa State. Colorado and CSU play every year. Utah and BYU do too.  Fuckin' Tennessee and Vanderbilt still play every year -- and I miss Texas playing Rice every year, as well.

Thanksgiving or the day after hasn't been the same since we've been playing Tech or TCU....And intersectional rivalries are for the likes of Notre Dame and USC, not us. 

Close to 120 years of tradition tossed in the trash. Hell yeah, it's mostly their fault, but it's a fucking shame, especially because we won three years out of every four. As it stands now, those idiots think they beat us every fucking year because they are SEC! and we are not. There's only one way to disabuse those simpletons of that notion, and that's on the field. 

I enjoyed seeing that as well in the brief timeframe I had while the SWC was intact, and would enjoy seeing the rivalry again... Just as JFK stated "why does Rice play Texas"..?

This is one of the many reasons I normally advocate for the XII to expand/ merge with the PAC... As the alternative (other than the XII staying as is, or adding a couple G5 schools), advocated by some is the SEC and/ or B1G parsing the XII... Then we are stuck with weird division games as Minnesota or Vanderbilt...
Most years in the old SWC & Big8, there were 4 non conference games a year, where most of the schools played (on average) by UT/ OU were each other, another Big8/ SWC school and an opponent from the old WAC or PAC, with the SEC in some years...
The networks screwed the system when using the cable tv market setup to expand into new states, like the SEC adding Mizzou and A&M, the Tigers if they just had to leave would have fit better in the B1G, and aggy pretty much shut themselves out of playing any opponent in the state of Texas... I think I would like to see aggy rotate a non conference opponent in the Lone Star State about every year, most old XII south schools play aggy once every 5 or 6 years... The same with Colorado and Missouri playing a rotation of old Big8 schools in Kansas/ Kansas State/ Iowa State/ Oklahoma/ Oklahoma State every 5 or 6 years as well...
Having a rotating rivalry as: Texas/ Texas Tech/ TCU/ Oklahoma/ Oklahoma State, in years aggy isn't on schedule, schools play Rice/ Houston/ UTEP/ SMU/ Texas State; while Texas vs Arkansas & Oklahoma vs Nebraska is renewed for every year... 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxxgkTV6M0sCsSj2nBN-zuBTOiXHFVNEqwxfQZLQyF2x0IEYU6 images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsugKL7dQUWpD5yFQwI3nU3nNVy0c040iRdPoa-LNl-UML8Dic

Sure but in short ....fuck them they made thier bed and can rot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Arky hate is so much more imo.....arky has beat us in the big games and aggy is aggy

Little brothers who just cry and think they deserve what big bro has on 90% less work

Arky is like the kid down on the end of street that says how they are so good at sports and you beat him more than he beats you but you do have to step up and focus.....aggy is the kid that quits and takes ball home after he knows its pointless 25% into game

and then says you threw batteries at his G'ma on the way back to his house.

Fucking liars and cheats.  Texas Pete nails it in his post.

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That’s not what rivalries are about. That’s being a piece of shit. 

I completely agree with Texas Pete

Let me also add that there is absolutely no upside to playing aggy again/ Nothing but a win-win for them and the SEC if this rivalry revives again annually.  It benefits aggy(and the SEC) whether they win or lose. For decades now, we've always told aggy that OU is our big rival and that it was unique one. Now some of you want to put aggy on the same plane as OU and play them every year with the hopes of shutting them up. C'mon folks, we all know that aggy never shuts up. They're insufferable when they win and even worse whey they lose. Texas vs A&M = Michigan vs Michigan State. BTW, Ohio State gets away with just one rival. Why can't we?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

I completely agree with Texas Pete

Let me also add that there is absolutely no upside to playing aggy again/ Nothing but a win-win for them and the SEC if this rivalry revives again annually.  It benefits aggy(and the SEC) whether they win or lose. For decades now, we've always told aggy that OU is our big rival and that it was unique one. Now some of you want to put aggy on the same plane as OU and play them every year with the hopes of shutting them up. C'mon folks, we all know that aggy never shuts up. They're insufferable when they win and even worse whey they lose. Texas vs A&M = Michigan vs Michigan State. BTW, Ohio State gets away with just one rival. Why can't we?

Being Texas, everyone is our rival. Besides OU. They’re our extra-rival. 

I have a whole clan (klan?) of redass Aggie cousins (maroon trim on their houses, the whole stupid deal) and it was so much fun condescending to them throughout the 2000s. "Better luck next year, y'all," year after year after year. It was comical -- when Texas Monthly came out with that cover of Mack and DeLoss they pretty much quarantined it in their house. One of them handed it over to me when I was at one of their parties -- "You might like this," she hissed. "We sure don't."

It was still in plastic, and she treated it like it was a stool sample she was giving to a nurse. 

I did watch the bonfire game with some of them, and that sucked, but in the long run it was a small price to pay for a decade of domination. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 11:48 PM, Tex Pete said:

I love nothing more than not having to deal with them. Win, lose, or draw, they’re annoying retards. Games against them have hardly ever had any conference or national implications.

They’re a historically mediocre team. Fuck them. 

The best games are ones that you care less about any implications other than beating the other team.  I would love to have as many Texas-OU type games as we can schedule. Anyone would doesn't include them in our list of top 2 rivals is just young or not from around here.

• Like 1

I am neither young nor alien. I have plenty of aggy in my family, and have been to so many of these games in both DKR and the tackle box, I have lost count. Fitst one was as a child in the early 1970s.

And aggy has always been little more than a pain in the ass. I never want to play them ever again.

• Like 1

The Aggies were our 3rd rival, but they were still a rival.  Now we only have one.  I find that to be a problem.  Others obviously disagree.

Regardless of what any of us might want, eventually we'll play them again.  But the only way it would ever be annually, is if we somehow ended up in the same conference once again.  Rather, it'll be an occasional home and home, played two years out of every 10-15, and early in the season, not on Tday weekend.

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

No, we're everyone's rival, but right now only OU is our rival.

I hate UT for completely different reasons than aggy. The t-shirt fans suck ass.  If you beat UT, your Texas  buddies are relatively quiet until the next year.  Aggy never, ever, ever stops being a fucking beating whether you win or lose the game.  The proponents of scheduling them again are either noobs, sadists,  or senile as fuck.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

We didn't play for 40+ years due to bad blood.  The state legislature forced the game back in the late 70's.

Point is, there's a precedent for in-state rivals to put things on hold for awhile when shit gets that bad.  I can imagine someday you'll play Aggy again, but it could be a long damned time.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

But I don't think Del Conte or anyone else in Bellmont are in any danger of signing us up for those types of neutral site games.  This upcoming one is Maryland's home game and they're choosing a nearby pro stadium rather than their home stadium.  The game against UCLA in Jerryworld in 2014 was THEIR home game that they chose to play in the state of Texas for their own reasons.

But from our side, other than TX-OU which I hope and pray never leaves the Cotton Bowl, Texas isn't about to sacrifice a home game in favor of a one-off neutral site game.  Aside from many other reasons, our wealthy donors with home luxury suites simply wouldn't allow it to happen.

That was a 3 game series with a home (TX - 2010) and home (UCLA - 2011) and a third neutral (2014).

8 minutes ago, Roofle said:

That was a 3 game series with a home (TX - 2010) and home (UCLA - 2011) and a third neutral (2014).

Actually it wasn't.  That was a one-off, it was not announced with the 2010/2011 home-and-home, and it was UCLA's choice to sacrifice a home game for recruiting purposes.

On 7/22/2018 at 8:40 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Just because some marketing clowns at ESPN or wherever call something rivalry week doesn’t mean you need to manufacture a rival to play that week.  Let the children play those games.  Just worry about properly buttfucking Kansas.  

You sneaky little sooner.  This is exactly the type of opinion you would want to spread in order to harm the Texas program in anyway possible 

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Actually it wasn't.  That was a one-off, it was not announced with the 2010/2011 home-and-home, and it was UCLA's choice to sacrifice a home game for recruiting purposes.

I guess my point was that UCLA hosting us for a one-off game was never on the table when that was scheduled. It was neutral or nothing. There's no incentive for us to leave home to play a P5 opponent without a return game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roofle said:

I guess my point was that UCLA hosting us for a one-off game was never on the table when that was scheduled. It was neutral or nothing. There's no incentive for us to leave home to play a P5 opponent without a return game.

Oh, absolutely agree with you there.  That's the flipside of the point I was making and both are true.  Texas isn't ever going to sacrifice a home game to play a neutral site game, aside from, and largely because of, TX-OU.  And Texas isn't ever going to travel to someone else's stadium without a return trip.  The only way Texas was going to be involved in a neutral site game like that one against UCLA in 2014, was if the opponent gave up its home game.  And they did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I have a whole clan (klan?) of redass Aggie cousins (maroon trim on their houses, the whole stupid deal) and it was so much fun condescending to them throughout the 2000s. "Better luck next year, y'all," year after year after year. It was comical -- when Texas Monthly came out with that cover of Mack and DeLoss they pretty much quarantined it in their house. One of them handed it over to me when I was at one of their parties -- "You might like this," she hissed. "We sure don't."

It was still in plastic, and she treated it like it was a stool sample she was giving to a nurse. 

I did watch the bonfire game with some of them, and that sucked, but in the long run it was a small price to pay for a decade of domination. 

Of course. All the people who beg to play them again seem to be related to them. I’m not, and I want to stay as far away from them as possible. Fuck aggy. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

I agree; it looks like CDC isn't a fan of those either.

11 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

No, we're everyone's rival, but right now only OU is our rival.

The rivalry is arguably the best in all of the NCAA, and even has reached the point of parodies being created on the internet, such as by Funny Or Die: