Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

There is literally only one person who fits the description CTJ said yep to.

Some of yall needed untimed SATs too apparently.

In my defense I was responding before reading the rest of the replies.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

I seem to remember his suspension being kind of bullshit.

He tried to submit a fraudulent drug sample. NCAA is very clear on such matters:

A student-athlete who is involved in a case of clearly observed tampering with an NCAA drug test, as documented per NCAA drug-testing protocol by a drug-testing crew member, shall be declared ineligible for further participation in postseason and regular-season competition during the time period ending two calendar years (i.e., 730 days) after the student-athlete was involved in tampering with a drug test.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is he the one that was busted for trying to cheat a drug test - but then passed it anyways?

Yeah, which is why they're reconsidering his case. Usually it's one year for tampering and one year for the failed test. But it turns out he did pass, he wasn't taking PEDs and tampered with his sample because he was worried about getting busted for marijuana use.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, which is why they're reconsidering his case. Usually it's one year for tampering and one year for the failed test. But it turns out he did pass, he wasn't taking PEDs and tampered with his sample because he was worried about getting busted for marijuana use.

LSU gonna LSU

On 8/23/2018 at 6:38 PM, RabidM said:

Those are good pickups.  I think Barlow is the best RB in Texas this cycle.

Barlow looks like he's going to be a gigantic pain in our ass for the next four years. I'm curious why he isn't rated higher - I know I can't tell shit from his highlights except that his best plays look really, really good, but I'm definitely impressed so far.

http://www.hudl.com/v/29ynSU

• 2 weeks later...

TCU tweeted an interesting montage highlighting our La recruiting success the past few years.  By the way, the Stephens kid who makes a catch at the end is the son of former Pats RB and rookie of the year John Stephens and the half-brother of tennis star Sloane Stephens.  They expect great things out of him at WR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Georgia will likely sign 7 five stars this cycle since Clay Webb and Nakobe Dean have been Fong'd to them. They should get back to back #1 classes despite taking a smaller class for 2019.

Money talks. All we can do is hope the SEC gets busted.

9 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

#1 WR recruit in the nation Jadon Haselwood just decommitted from Georgia. Taking an OV to Miami this weekend.

I think this guy was a lifelong UGA fan and feels taken for granted because of his early commitment. Is it possible that Georgia didn’t actually just buy this guy in the first place? 

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think this guy was a lifelong UGA fan and feels taken for granted because of his early commitment. Is it possible that Georgia didn’t actually just buy this guy in the first place? 

I would think this problem would crop up more than it does. I would be pissed if I was the number one recruit at my position and all my teammates got big payouts and I didn't get shit.

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Must have cheaped out so they can save it for Emery.

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

For all the shenanigans going on at Georgia, they aren't  really doing all that amazing in state at the moment. Only have 3 of the top 19 Georgia kids now

They clearly pissed off somebody at Grayson High..

Holy shit you're right even Tennessee is doing work in Georgia. 

This is from an OU Insider on 247, but I don't like the sound of this, even if they put OU as his least likely destination:

Pulse on Oklahoma: "When you grow up cheering for the Sooners, and a recruit calls them his “dream offer” you always have a puncher's chance. That’s where Oklahoma is with Haselwood. His father went to OU and Haselwood has grandparents that are alums, as well. Haselwood grew up going to OU Atlanta alumni events to watch games and dreamed of being a Sooner one day. Fast forward to 2018 and things are bit more dicey with Miami and Auburn really pushing Haselwood. Add the fact Oklahoma already has the best wide receiver class, in 2019, and there’s not a lot of room.

"That said, Haselwood is the one receiver Oklahoma would take, at this point, despite all of that. OU doesn’t want to lose the three stars they have, so the Sooners staff will have to tread lightly. My gut tells me Oklahoma would take Haselwood, but does a five-star receiver want to join another, in Theo Wease, along with fast rising Trejan Bridges and Arjei Henderson? That’s the question. Sources I speak with tell me OU is in the thick of it and will he until the end. They just have ride out Haselwood four remaining officials and go from there." — Brandon Drumm, OUInsider

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

This is from an OU Insider on 247, but I don't like the sound of this, even if they put OU as his least likely destination:

Pulse on Oklahoma: "When you grow up cheering for the Sooners, and a recruit calls them his “dream offer” you always have a puncher's chance. That’s where Oklahoma is with Haselwood. His father went to OU and Haselwood has grandparents that are alums, as well. Haselwood grew up going to OU Atlanta alumni events to watch games and dreamed of being a Sooner one day. Fast forward to 2018 and things are bit more dicey with Miami and Auburn really pushing Haselwood. Add the fact Oklahoma already has the best wide receiver class, in 2019, and there’s not a lot of room.

"That said, Haselwood is the one receiver Oklahoma would take, at this point, despite all of that. OU doesn’t want to lose the three stars they have, so the Sooners staff will have to tread lightly. My gut tells me Oklahoma would take Haselwood, but does a five-star receiver want to join another, in Theo Wease, along with fast rising Trejan Bridges and Arjei Henderson? That’s the question. Sources I speak with tell me OU is in the thick of it and will he until the end. They just have ride out Haselwood four remaining officials and go from there." — Brandon Drumm, OUInsider

This brings up interesting shit. Wease, Bridges and Henderson are all some degree of weird in terms of how they're mentally/emotionally put together. I'm guessing one of them goes elsewhere if OU lands Haselwood. I'd put money on that domino'ing into ATM and ATM trapdooring someone. This could be grim and it could be funny. It could be both for those with the stomach for it.

• Like 1