Chemical Weapons Attack in Syria

Hugo Stiglitz

17 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Maybe so. So would that make the whole White Helmets phenomenon a form of active measures?

I don't follow. The White Helmets "phenomenon?" They're a volunteer search and rescue operation. How does that relate to active measures? 

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Some say the hit documentary was a propaganda film. 

By "some" do you mean Russia? Spreading misinformation about them would qualify as active measures. Them risking their lives to save others, and sometimes dying in the process, would not. 

THE US President is widely expected to green-light revenge attacks on the President Bashar Assad regime in the coming days supported by Britain and France. 

AN US aircraft carrier is on its way and a guided missile destroyer is reportedly lurking off the coast of Syria amid calls for revenge for Assad's poison gas attack. 

It comes as Donald Trump renewed his vow to decide on his military response to the outrage which left scores dead “probably by the end of today". 

Meanwhile USS Harry Truman aircraft carrier strike group was on its way to the Syrian coast armed with cruise missiles and an array of warplanes. 

Yet it emerged today Russia has started jamming US military drones operating over Syria seriously affecting America's ability to strike targets.

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6019299/uss-harry-s-truman-missiles-deployed-mediterranean-syria/ 

Edited by Mapache

In response to the allegations, Syria said it has invited the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) to investigate the suspected poison gas attack, which opposition activists say killed 40 people and wounded hundreds over the weekend.

However, a US official told The National, that while “Washington welcomes the OPCW mission, it will not affect the US decision on a response to Syria.”

https://www.thenational.ae/world/the-americas/us-readies-ground-for-possible-military-action-in-syria-1.720457

So an investigation to determine whether or not the Assad gassed his own people will not affect our decision to attack Assad for gassing his own people?  Kinda giving the game away here.  

Edited by Fozzz

I fucking hate us being in the Middle East. At all. Going back to Iraq Part I. And I really don’t want us to escalate shit in Syria. But any state using chemical weapons needs to be checked by the international community. Keeping use of chemical weapons from becoming an acceptable practice is worth going to war for

• Like 2

Bolton for McMasters was an ominous shift for those of us who believe "war is failure." 

The D and R Hawks are thirsty for blood. 

Rubble makes trouble. Syria is a labyrinth with no exit strategy. It's not beyond any one of a number of warring factions in that conflict to gas their own people to draw western democracies into the meat grinder. They want civilizational wars and there are too many in Congress sharing their blood lust.

We have no good reason to thrust deeper into this syphilis infected warzone. None. 

21 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

We have no good reason to thrust deeper into this syphilis infected warzone. None. 

Well, maybe we can kill some more Nazi Russians, you know, if they attack us again.

Protecting the Kurdish positions seems worthwhile.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Mapache said:

THE US President is widely expected to green-light revenge attacks on the President Bashar Assad regime in the coming days supported by Britain and France. 

AN US aircraft carrier is on its way and a guided missile destroyer is reportedly lurking off the coast of Syria amid calls for revenge for Assad's poison gas attack. 

It comes as Donald Trump renewed his vow to decide on his military response to the outrage which left scores dead “probably by the end of today". 

Meanwhile USS Harry Truman aircraft carrier strike group was on its way to the Syrian coast armed with cruise missiles and an array of warplanes. 

Yet it emerged today Russia has started jamming US military drones operating over Syria seriously affecting America's ability to strike targets.

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6019299/uss-harry-s-truman-missiles-deployed-mediterranean-syria/ 

The US providing cover for French and British airstrikes. I saw this movie in 2011.

One dictator dead, the country is still a mess.

18 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

The US providing cover for French and British airstrikes. I saw this movie in 2011.

One dictator dead, the country is still a mess.

And the target is another country who they either fucked over as a colony a century ago, or whose borders they fucked up.

Russia's calling it a hoax.
This is sickening.  I hope we gather up all of our European allies and fuck Assad in his ass.  Unified front.  And if Russia doesn't like it, then fuck them, too.
I'm about as far from a hawk as it gets.  But this shit cannot be allowed.  Ever.  Anywhere.

Actually sound completely like a hawk

He knows the U.S. won’t do much more than take out some hardware.  Putin pushes the envelope anywhere he can.

Motherfucker did a land grab of Crimea which violated all kinds of international laws and got away with it.

He used a banned chemical weapon on British soil and got away with it.

He does this shit to exert his power and basically say, “What are you going to do about it?”

He’s a chaos actor.  Stir up shit and see where to profit.

You seem selective when you care about international law

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I fucking hate us being in the Middle East. At all. Going back to Iraq Part I. And I really don’t want us to escalate shit in Syria. But any state using chemical weapons needs to be checked by the international community. Keeping use of chemical weapons from becoming an acceptable practice is worth going to war for

I agree but they have Russia's passive blessing if not explicit approval. We should drive Assad into the sea for that shit, but we aren't going to because of Russia.  Nothing we end up doing is going to check shit.  All we do is fuck around enough to keep non-ISIS anti-Assad forces and the Kurds afloat. If the end game is us bolting and letting the Turks steamroll thr Kurds and Assad/Russia steamroll the rest, may as well let them do it now, so people can start picking up the pieces afterward.

Personally, I think we should call Russia's bluff for once. Tell them to gtfo by x day and then roll in whether theyre there or not. They arent going to escalate with us over Damascus. They just play better poker than us. 

Again, why on earth would Assad think this was a good idea? 

Killing women and children with poison gas? It would be the absolute dumbest thing he could do, and we are to believe that this is like the third time he has done this since 2013, at each time the war seemed to be taking a hard turn in his favor.  I feel like we are being sold the same bum steer for the third fucking time.

We are being led by emotion on this. Photos of dead kids and shit, just like the Brits successfully portrayed the Kaiser's army as tossing Belgian babies around from bayonet to bayonet. Propaganda 101, enhanced by high-tech. We really don't have a clue if anybody actually died in this attack, and if they did, who killed them. All I know is to ask who benefits the most from this attacks. It sure as hell isn't Assad. It's his domestic enemies, Saudi and Israel. 

This is a potentially disastrous situation with incompetent fools like Trump and Bolton in charge. We better hope Mattis has the final say on any decisions of retaliation.

Syria 'chemical attack': Russia warns US against military action

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43721057

'That's WAR!' UK General REVEALS exactly how Russia will retaliate if US strikes Syria

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/944536/Syria-missile-strike-Russia-chemical-attack-US-war-Eurocontrol-latest-update-video

Edited by Mapache

This is comforting, we have a 10 year old taking us into a hostile military situation 

kUuht00m_normal.jpg

Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!

Edited by Mapache

18 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

This shit is a mess. Damn

big mess. been a big mess.

love how we get more upset at chem weapons than bombs and guns. eh. 

so long as we have oil + strong economy we will let these instances pass (and the people in poor places will continue to die like always)

if we have economic hardship then any one of these instances will prob escalate into war (US, Russia, Euro, China)

at least thats how this usually works. 

20 hours ago, Mapache said:

I'm less concerned with whether its supported by Britain and France and more concerned with whether its authorized by Congress. You know, the branch of government tasked with deciding whether to get involved in offensive military actions.