2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

20 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't have to worry about flooding. I'm good where I'm at.

Me neither.  Harvey didn’t even get close to my house   

But I also don’t get flooded by 40+ BMI sweaty cholas nor am I relegated to sex on mattresses without sheets or bed frames.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Me neither.  Harvey didn’t even get close to my house   

But I also don’t get flooded by 40+ BMI sweaty cholas nor am I relegated to sex on mattresses without sheets or bed frames.  

Well you never know what you are missing until you try...

On 7/4/2018 at 1:31 PM, EastTexan said:

Started not so good, but ended up being interesting.

Gotta take what we can this year.

btw. Vic's discussion above on trades makes sense. Trade em for young talent. Even though that's risky. Does JD have the balls for this. We'll see.

What makes you think he doesn't? He's traded fan favorites and all stars before

Really really happy for Choo's All-Star selection.  I know, it was a foolish contract.  But seems like a good teammate and this year he has been nails.  After he kept the OB streak alive in his last AB yesterday, they interviewed him after the game.  I don't believe I had seen him interviewed before.  Says all the right things.  Good on him.  

The Giants traded away a great prospect

A little bit more about RHP Jason Bahr.

By Bryan Murphy@McCoveyChron Jul 8, 2018, 8:00pm PDT

Earlier today, the Giants traded Austin Jackson, Cory Gearrin, and a prospect to the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later. The move ostensibly freed up payroll and gave the team a chance to call up two other promising prospects, but what about the one they gave up in order to do so? Did the Giants trade away a player with high potential? Here’s Roger with the definitive analysis:

Jason Bahr, the Giants’ 5th round pick in 2017 out of the University of Central Florida, has been one of baseball’s more inspiring stories of perseverance the last two years. Bahr made all of one appearance in the first three years of his college career. He lasted just 2/3rds of an inning. Unwanted by UCF’s coaching staff, he was red-shirted and cut from the squad, but almost never played. However, after UCF released that regime, the replacement staff brought Bahr’s career back to life.

New UCF head coach Greg Loveladey saw a strong summer league showing from Bahr and invited him back to the UCF team for his senior year to be their swing man. With that second chance, Bahr became one of college baseball’s best stories in 2017, posting a 14.1 K/9 that was second in the nation and helped boost UCF to a conference championship.

That performance is what put him on the Giants’ radar, and the 5th rounder has only increased his visibility in pro ball. Bahr was the top pitcher on a fantastic Augusta pitching staff through most of the first half of 2018. He led the Sally league in strikeouts (88) and posted a 2.75 ERA over 13 starts (68.2 innings). That performance earned him a promotion to San Jose where he continued to excel, with back-to-back 6-inning shutout appearances in his first two starts in the Cal League.

Bahr boasts velocity that can get up to the 96 range in relief, but tends to tends to sit 90-91 during his starts. He also has a nice assortment of pitches with the makings of a good slider and effective change and a curveball that his been his primary out pitch much of 2018. It remains to be seen what his ultimate role will be. He has the potential to be a back-end starter, swing man, or middle reliever. Regardless of role, he possesses a major league arm.

He’s certainly worked to raise his profile around baseball in the last 24 months though, going from an unwanted part of his own college team to a pro arm interesting enough to Texas to stomach buying out a couple of bad contracts in order to acquire him.

Could be the cash side of it since it appears to be a salary dump by SF. The Rangers bought Bahr by taking on the 2 veteran salaries. Jackson will be flipped and Gearrin had a decent career last year but regressed this year. Looked mostly crisp in his 2 inning relief outing tonight. Hopefully a cliché change of scenery situation can help him.

54 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why would the rangers deal have to be a ptbnl?  Not sure I can think of an asset that couldn’t be announced immediately.  Unless it’s choo and they want him in a rangers uniform in the all star game, but that doesn’t make sense unless Texas is eating his salary. 

I think you nailed it. Choo.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Then it really makes no sense. We are trading a prospect?

Basically, we have cap room, SF needed to get under the luxury tax. For 8M (assuming we pay all of Jacksons 3M over 2 years) - we get a reliever for the rest of this year (which we need right now) and we get a pretty decent pitching prospect. The goal of the Ranger's is to stock the farm system with as many pitchers as possible. Hopefully some will pan out for us, others we can trade. 

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why would the rangers deal have to be a ptbnl?  Not sure I can think of an asset that couldn’t be announced immediately.  Unless it’s choo and they want him in a rangers uniform in the all star game, but that doesn’t make sense unless Texas is eating his salary. 

I read it to be a PTBNL or cash. That makes me think the possible player in the deal isn't that highly regarded.

And I also read somewhere that there could be a third team in play, possibly with Jackson involved. If Choo or another roster player is in the mix it would be to a more seriously contending team. SF seems an unlikley candidate to trade for Choo with their salary situation and sketchy odds at best of contending for a playoff spot and making any real noise.

Edited by DougO

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

And I also read somewhere that there could be a third team in play, possibly with Jackson involved. If Choo or another roster player is in the mix it would be to a more seriously contending team. SF seems an unlikley candidate to trade for Choo with their salary situation and sketchy odds at best of contending for a playoff spot and making any real noise.

Probably not going to be an NL team for either Beltre or Choo. 

17 hours ago, Post Oak said:

He had the highlight of the season across the entire org.

He was introduced as the opening day starter in Spokane at a media event. He said " im Hans Crouse and i bring the gasoline"

Quite a character. You can see his style in this game vid - where he fanned nine in five innings.

https://www.mlb.com/news/hans-crouse-dana-hills-at-2017-nhsi/c-221417456

On 7/14/2018 at 9:04 PM, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

Joey Gallo is a giant bag of suck.

Jesus--his comments in the Dallas Morning News yesterday that if MLB bans shifts, "I'm going to be nasty again."  Well, fuck you--if MLB banned pitchers from throwing over 60 MPH, I'd be batting .800.  I'm just really good too if you change the rules of the game.

Or--and I'm just spitballing here--you could learn to bunt.  A skill practiced by every little leaguer in America.  They're giving you a fucking single every at bat, and you won't take it.  Because you're lazy and selfish.

And guess what else--as soon as you successfully bunted three or four times in a row, the shift would go away.  No rule changes necessary.  

In short--fuck you, Joey.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Like 2