Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

More rebukes of Jerry by decent head coaches are what's needed to get it hammered into his head that puppets are his only option unless he's ready to let go. If he's not, he'll die with those 3 Super Bowls 20+ years ago because all he'll get are retreads who are fine with being puppets. 

Edited by mdmost

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m a packers fan stopping in to see if there’s been any news because I’m hoping y’all hire Riley for the job. Y’all can do much better than Mike McCarthy. He’s not a great coach but he’s not the worst. I place equal blame on him and our former GM Ted Thompson for wasting Rodger’s prime. Thompson had a bizarre philosophy where we would never sign free agents but would often let our best players walk in free agency instead of paying them. A roster with minimal talent other than Rodgers and coaching ineptitude (someone already sited the NFC championship game against Seattle) made for some painful years.

46 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

I’m a packers fan stopping in to see if there’s been any news because I’m hoping y’all hire Riley for the job. Y’all can do much better than Mike McCarthy. He’s not a great coach but he’s not the worst. I place equal blame on him and our former GM Ted Thompson for wasting Rodger’s prime. Thompson had a bizarre philosophy where we would never sign free agents but would often let our best players walk in free agency instead of paying them. A roster with minimal talent other than Rodgers and coaching ineptitude (someone already sited the NFC championship game against Seattle) made for some painful years.

I’d blame ownership. Oh wait that’s you guys. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

More rebukes of Jerry by decent head coaches are what's needed to get it hammered into his head that puppets are his only option unless he's ready to let go. If he's not, he'll die with those 3 Super Bowls 20+ years ago because all he'll get are retreads who are fine with being puppets. 

The ghost of Al Davis says hello.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just now, Trey3216 said:

I wish GarrettTop had tried this hard to keep his job the last 10 years. 

He's like that person in the relationship who is content and does nothing to grow at all and does not even give any effort but the second its on the rocks and the other wants to break up, he pulls out all the stops to try and salvage the relationship to stay together. Fuck him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I really don't think even those rebukes would matter to him.  He lives his life in a bubble insulated by yes men, but yes it would be great for someone respected like a Payton to just sit down with him and call him out, much like Aikman has done publicly, except it needs to be without restraint.  Someone who doesn't need Jerrah or care if he gets the job.

"Jerrah, your biggest problem is you and your delusion that you can manage a team to championship.  If you would embrace hiring real football people and a structure which would allow you being relieved of any day to day duties, you may have a chance at a championship.  Otherwise, you'll die with 3, it's that simple".  

Ironically, only a person who really cares about Jerrah and the Cowboys would tell him the truth in such a biting nature and not sure who cares that much....

In other good personnel decisions JJ makes, Dan Bailey just made 21 straight FGs. Course his team is in the fucking playoffs. 

watching these running backs like Cook, Henry...in the postseason makes me feel great we spent all that money on the Ewok 

I’m just bitching. Just wish I could tell JJ to his face to suck shit through a straw.

i get JG is lobbying for his job because ofcourse he is. He went in there last week with a large binder. No doubt he’s putting together his compelling argument. Clearly he’s highly sought after by other teams like JJ said. Ha!

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

In other good personnel decisions JJ makes, Dan Bailey just made 21 straight FGs. Course his team is in the fucking playoffs. 

watching these running backs like Cook, Henry...in the postseason makes me feel great we spent all that money on the Ewok 

I’m just bitching. Just wish I could tell JJ to his face to suck shit through a straw.

i get JG is lobbying for his job because ofcourse he is. He went in there last week with a large binder. No doubt he’s putting together his compelling argument. Clearly he’s highly sought after by other teams like JJ said. Ha!

It was time to move on from Bailey. He needed a change of scenery. Now he was also hurt a little so we could have waited to see if he recovered. But it was the same as Nick Folk. Needed a change of scenery. Also, the Vikings were close to moving on from Bailey as well. But he turned it around.

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We had to cut Bailey. He was never going to regain his form here. He was broken, and needed to be fixed by a change of scenery. And we definitely couldn’t pay him like the top 3 kicker that we had been paying him. Maher outperformed Bailey last year. Think about that. Brett Maher. It was the right move. If we can resign Forbath on a one year deal and bring in some actual competition in training camp (novel idea, I know) then this situation will sort itself out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I really don't think even those rebukes would matter to him.  He lives his life in a bubble insulated by yes men, but yes it would be great for someone respected like a Payton to just sit down with him and call him out, much like Aikman has done publicly, except it needs to be without restraint.  Someone who doesn't need Jerrah or care if he gets the job.

"Jerrah, your biggest problem is you and your delusion that you can manage a team to championship.  If you would embrace hiring real football people and a structure which would allow you being relieved of any day to day duties, you may have a chance at a championship.  Otherwise, you'll die with 3, it's that simple".  

Ironically, only a person who really cares about Jerrah and the Cowboys would tell him the truth in such a biting nature and not sure who cares that much....

Like, say, ROGER FUCKING STAUBACH???????????????????????????????????

12 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We had to cut Bailey. He was never going to regain his form here. He was broken, and needed to be fixed by a change of scenery. And we definitely couldn’t pay him like the top 3 kicker that we had been paying him. Maher outperformed Bailey last year. Think about that. Brett Maher. It was the right move. If we can resign Forbath on a one year deal and bring in some actual competition in training camp (novel idea, I know) then this situation will sort itself out.

Yep. Kickers are a fickle bunch. Once they start to slip, it's hard to get them back on track at their current team. Remember when Vanderjagt was on his way to going down as one of the best kickers ever? He fell off a cliff. Fast. I think his final year was here in 2005 or 2006. Nick Folk looked like a god until he fell off fast. It happens. Reminds me of closers in baseball. 

And yep, for as inconsistent as Maher can be, he did have the better year last season. This year was terrible, though. Time for him to go as well. No idea if Forbath can be consistent next year but I really hope we have competition this offseason for kicker. Maher has zero this past offseason.

Also, we need a new punter. Ours fucking sucks.

40 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He's like that person in the relationship who is content and does nothing to grow at all and does not even give any effort but the second its on the rocks and the other wants to break up, he pulls out all the stops to try and salvage the relationship to stay together. Fuck him.

Like “remember all the good times we had. I still love you. Just give me one more chance and we can figure this thing out and we can get that spark back”

Meanwhile the other party is already fucking other people in your bed, and you’re just waiting outside the door like “we’ll talk when you’re done. I know you’ll come around.” It really is sad. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Probably for the same reason Mike McCarthy isn't insulted.  Because they want the job. 

Exactly. What are we even talking about. They want to be NFL coaches, and we don’t exactly have a shitty roster. All of them would take that job, even with Jerry’s antics.

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Exactly. What are we even talking about. They want to be NFL coaches, and we don’t exactly have a shitty roster. All of them would take that job, even with Jerry’s antics.

And Washington hired Ron Rivera so Lewis' interview wasn't a Rooney rule interview.  Both guys are minority candidates.  The Rooney rule got guys like Mike Tomlin and Raheem Morris jobs. Nether of them were coordinators and they weren't even on anyone's radar when they got interviews, which allowed them to impress enough to get the job.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

All those Fridays after practice drinking beer with Jerruh and eating nachos and discussing next steps must have really done a number on Garrett. That and the millions and millions and mentoring and blah blah blah. He’s like a baby duck that’s imprinted on Jerruh. This is like as y’all have said just a sad breakup. 

it’s like that old stupid joke: what’s the difference between a brick and a blonde? Garrett’s the blonde here. But maybe he convinces Jerruh to give him one more chance? 

Pathetic really. 

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Jay Glazer of Fox NFL Sunday reported this morning that Garrett is still lobbying to keep his job to remain the head coach.

Ugggghhhh You had a decade. (More than that really). Didn’t get it done. Fuck off! Go away.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jerry runs this team so great....

face GIF

9 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

They’re going to hire Mike McCarthy aren’t they ...wretch puke fuck 

What I find funny is so many consider Payton a genius. And McCarthy as an idiot. And I might not disagree. But...they are mirror images of themselves when it comes to on the field results. And the same situations. Both have great regular season QB who are regarded as some of the best to play. Both have went to and won a Super Bowl. Both have been to a few other NfC title games and lost those. Both of their success came about a decade ago.