Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

They actually didn't have a lot of talent on defense. Which became pretty obvious.

Exactly. Imagine just how perfect OU had to be on every single offensive drive last year to make it through to the playoffs with that defense. If they didn't score 40+ points they lose half their games. The Sooners gave up 40+ points six times in 2018.

Are the Cowboys really going to stretch this out over the weekend? What the actual fuck? I think Garrett might be coming back at this point.

I don’t necessarily want Riley, but I think the offense would be just fine, if not really fucking good. At that point, it’s just about who he hires as a DC, and how we attack the defense in the draft. I think we could do worse than Riley, is what I’m saying. And if nothing else, fuck OU, am I right?

7 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The talent differential in college ball makes it very difficult to truly evaluate a head coach's abilities. He might be smart as hell, but the move to the NFL is a painful one. We don't need someone to call time outs, we need an offensive genius who already knows what works and what doesn't work in the NFL. And there aren't many of those around.

Riley had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. If he's so damn smart, why couldn't he and his DC come up with some twists to slow down LSU? The Tigers destroyed the Sooners.

Lol.  They were WAY too thin on D for any attrition against LSU.  Before that game started their leading sack man was out and their leading tackler was out.  Then lost Gallimore and idiot Radley got himself ejected.  

LR offense w Murray and Mayfield moved the ball very well vs Georgia and Bama.  Hell, I hope DAL doesn’t hire LR but half of this criticism is laughable.   

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Riley has a lot of the same talents and attributes that Moore does except he's way ahead of the curve with him in terms of experience, play calling, and building offenses catering to strengths of his QB within his preferred scheme.  Riley is considered intellectual and sharp in a savant type way.  He has succeeded in improving the offense at every stop and has coached different types of QBs, from more of a dual threat runners with Hurts and Murray to more traditional throwers like Harrell and Carden.  It's easy to say, yea, he's had first round talents during his tenure, but Baker wasn't considered a NFL product until he started working with Riley.  Murray had failed at aggy.  He has position coaching experience (WRs), coordinating experience (OC at East Carolina and OU) and head coaching experience and done well everywhere.  Does that mean he'll succeed?  No idea.  But he's very creative schematically and has shown the ability to win with different styles of QBs, something his mentor, Leach, could never really do.

Not sure how we quantify swagger, BTW.  Urban's main advantage the last decade has been recruiting, and sometimes bending the rules to get that advantage.  That doesn't really exist in the NFL.  I'd like for us to interview Eberflus, Riley, Saleh, Toub, and maybe McDaniels if we could get an interview (don't think we can).

Nails it.  

Also, I’m not buying the notion that Riley’s teams just fall apart in the college football playoffs. This year they never had a chance. There were 3 clearly superior teams, and he had a qb who can barely throw a forward pass (who he happened to coach to a heisman runner up). There were probably 9 or 10 other teams that probably have a similar fate against LSU (especially if they dealt with the injuries OU had on defense). They just selected OU. The last 2 years OU was competitive against Georgia (OT loss, right?) and Bama (who was clearly a better team). He’s clearly a good/great offensive mind.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

So Bayless says that in his exit interviews with players, Jason was talking future tense... "Next year we'll.... Let's get better...." He suggests that Garrett was the least inspiring HC in the league.

Jason is the consummate optimist. Just like his ten years as a coach. Yeah, we shit the bed yesterday against the Jets, but we'll get better.

Bayless also says that Garrett should be in the next AT&T commercial - Just okay is not okay.

Sharpe suggested that Jones was wavering before the third interview, but the snowstorm in Colorado might have saved the Cowboys. Thank you God, or Tom.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

What a clusterfuck. At this point, assistants are effectively held hostage, right? Or are their contracts all expiring too? I’m not concerned about the guy who has made $40m-$50m the last 9.5 years but the other guys? Shit or get off the pot, Jerry.

42 minutes ago, Hate said:

I actually wouldn’t hate having McCarthy. He’d be better than all but 3 of the coaches we’ve had in our history. Hell, he’s won as many playoff games in Dallas in the last 20 years as the Cowboys have.

who in the fuck is the 3rd one?  You counting Parcells, i guess?  that's fair... even if his SB wins were elsewhere.

44 minutes ago, Hate said:

I actually wouldn’t hate having McCarthy. He’d be better than all but 3 of the coaches we’ve had in our history. Hell, he’s won as many playoff games in Dallas in the last 20 years as the Cowboys have.

Yeah, I guess he’s technically the only “available” super bowl winning coach alive, so there’s that.

Might be exactly what these players need.  Someone with some skins on the wall they can buy into.  They clearly weren’t bought into JG and I worry a guy like Lincoln Riley or Matt Ruhle may have the same impact...players being all like “what the fuck have you ever won?”  At least McCarthy has that going for him.

told ya we were the Bengals. Marvin Lewis would be a perfect end to this shitshow.  I'm sure Marvin will do anything Jerry wants.  McCarthy seems to be a decent coach and probably just wants to coach and doesn't really care about picking out the groceries.  The D is going to start sucking worse though as soon as  the Dak/Cooper contracts are done.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I figure Jerry would save on airfare and interview Richard for Rooney purposes. 

yeah.  we already had a rooney rule guy but it would probably be a bad look to hire a guy from a staff that failed unless you really think he is ready.  Its going to be mcCarthy so Jerry can say I hired a guy that won a Super Bowl. Richard might be a good HC some day but Jerry isn't in the position of hiring a complete unknown. he's got about 3 years to win this before everything gets blown up because of Zeke's contract.

If we could only hire Aaron Rodgers to be the QB.

14 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Much rather have McCarthy than others mentioned to date.  He wants to redeem himself and at least won a SB.

This is where I’m at. I can be convinced the Rodgers poisoned the well toward the end of his time in GB. 4 NFC championship games and 1 super bowl in a year they were killed by injury bug. We would kill for a run like that. 

3 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

This is where I’m at. I can be convinced the Rodgers poisoned the well toward the end of his time in GB. 4 NFC championship games and 1 super bowl in a year they were killed by injury bug. We would kill for a run like that. 

But that success was mostly predicated on Rodgers so, whether he can do the same with a QB of Dak’s caliber is unknown but I’m still good with him if gets hired.  He’s probably the best hire available and will be much, much better than wha I feared Jerry may hire.  Now,  I just saw on ESPN’s ticker that Marvin Lewis may be interviewed?  I really thought the references to him were a total joke.  FML.

15 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

McCarthy needed a great talent like Rodgers to make that happen and pretty much Rodgers running the show on his own. Could he do that with Dak? He is not the same QB as Rodgers at all. Also, 2 of those NFC title games came because he played shit ass Garrett in the divisional round and Rodgers owns Garrett and this team. Is he better than Garrett? Probably. Is it some quality hire that will take us to the next level? Probably not.

And I would scoff and laugh at Marvin Lewis but Rooney Rule is all that is. No way we actually hire him to be a head coach. Now I'd take him as a DC or something. That is better suited for him. But he was stable and consistent enough in Cincy where I'm sure some team would give him a HC position. NFL loves hiring re-treads. 

I feel like McCarthy has a lot of Jeff Fisher in him, to be honest. Again, not saying that both aren’t better than Garrett, because they probably are. But it would be a pretty big let down. I’d rather take a chance on a guy that might actually be a really fucking good coach.

A lot of guys can have success with Aaron fucking Rodgers in his prime.

Edited by youdunnf'dup