Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Rhule doesn't want GM control, he just wouldn't want to work with Jerry.  That's the point of the fictional play you quoted.

And I'm not disputing that's a valid theory, simply not sure he's an "I want all the power" guy or not.  He hasn't won anything of note to put himself in that position, but I guess it only takes one owner to get over his skis.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And I'm not disputing that's a valid theory, simply not sure he's an "I want all the power" guy or not.  He hasn't won anything of note to put himself in that position, but I guess it only takes one owner to get over his skis.

give me Rhule with 100% control over Jerry and a lackey HC ....seen 25 years of that shit show it doesn't work 

50 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Rhule isn't getting full control in New York with Gettleman staying on but is interviewing with them.  And the Browns are in the midst of a power struggle between two guys who want the GM position and it looks like Dorsey will lose and DePodesta will be the full decision maker.  Not sure if the narrative about him needing full control is bluster, cover, or just misinterpreted.  I don't necessarily think he'll be the next coach of the Cowboys, but I think his agent certainly takes the call and we get an interview, if nothing more to drive up his price.

I knew Roman would get some burn for job openings, but we don't have Lamar Jackson on this roster.  Should/Could Dak's legs be used a little more?  Sure, but nothing like what the Ravens do.  The offense doesn't need to be overhauled, it probably just needs to be tweaked.  Special Teams needs to be overhauled.

A Fuckin' Men

28 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I doubt any NFL team is going to make him HC and GM.  He's way too green for that.  Him having that as a requirement effectively means he's not really interested in the NFL.  Which current coaches have GM power?  Belicheck anyone else?

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

The old arky fuckstick was on the radio saying the problem with college coaches is their busiest workday is Sunday so they don't watch any NFL and know nothing of NFL personnel. So they take at least a year to get up to speed at NFL level which is why Jimmy went 1-15 year one. Does it mean he's not going with a college coach? Who knows. He's a moron  

the problem Jimmy had was not acclimation to the pro circuit.  He had jack shit of a talent level on those rosters.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I doubt any NFL team is going to make him HC and GM.  He's way too green for that.  Him having that as a requirement effectively means he's not really interested in the NFL.  Which current coaches have GM power?  Belicheck anyone else?

Gruden. And that's working out great

It's one thing to put John Mackovic in charge of golf courses, it's quite another for an NFL franchise to keep a head coach around in some front office capacity.  If you are a head coach worth a damn you should already have a metric fuckton of trepidation about working in that dumb fucking hick's "culture".  You for damn sure don't want to work at a place where the former absolute fucking failure of a coach is still around watching, judging and having his advice solicited on a regular basis.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

What the fuck is there to resolve? There's no buy out or other contract issues. How long does it take to say clean out your office? Obviously two meetings isn't enough so they have to have a third. 

I am hopeful that is the point.  There is nothing to resolve.  He's no longer the head coach.  He doesn't need to be fired because his time is up.  We'll hire a new coach that is currently coaching one of the playoff teams or Rhule.  The only thing to move quickly on would be Urbs but I don't think he's taking any job unless it's the Cowboys (he ain't taking over in Cleveland)

Keeping Garrett around in some management function (which I suggested might happen several weeks ago) would only work if it doesn't involve "football operations." VP over entertainment, concessions, field condition, whatever is doable I suppose and it keeps Jerry's skeletons in the closet. If it involves player personnel, we're fucked, because Garrett is a yes man. He can't see the forest for the trees.

The fact that they've had the meetings without any word getting out suggests to me that he has been offered something - at a substantially lower salary, and he has told Jerrah that he has to think about it. They gave him a day or two. Hell, they could give him longer, but they'll have to spill the beans in a day or two. In any case, Jason's probably having a come to Jesus moment. "I really can't coach at the Pro Level, but what about college? How would I do at say Abilene Christian? or Princeton? Would I get to have an OC who can do all the heavy lifting, or would I have to figure out all of that Xs and Os stuff myself?" 

So that's where we are. He's done as the Cowboy head coach.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1