I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

When reverse searing, how long do you usually let it rest between the time it finishes cooking at the lower temp and the final sear?
Asking for a friend...aka 1.5” ribeye and ~2” filet.

I’ve seen anywhere from “only as long as it take to get your grill/pan up to 500” to “at least 30-60 minutes and as long as 3 hours.”

(can’t say I’ve ever done it as long as the latter but hoping that’s actually a thing.. looking at doing the reverse sear Saturday, set them aside, taking the kids around the block in the Halloween costumes for ~1 hour and finishing the final sear when we get back)

Edited by UTexasFight

Typically 20-30min for me.

An hour will let them cool down some inside. If you can set your oven as low as 125-150, I'd tent them in foil to reduce airflow and evaporation, and put them in the oven at 150 or less to hold warm. If not, wrap them in foil and towel and put them in a cooler, and sear for a bit longer when you return to get some heat back into the core. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

When reverse searing, how long do you usually let it rest between the time it finishes cooking at the lower temp and the final sear?
Asking for a friend...aka 1.5” ribeye and ~2” filet.

I’ve seen anywhere from “only as long as it take to get your grill/pan up to 500” to “at least 30-60 minutes and as long as 3 hours.”

(can’t say I’ve ever done it as long as the latter but hoping that’s actually a thing.. looking at doing the reverse sear Saturday, set them aside, taking the kids around the block in the Halloween costumes for ~1 hour and finishing the final sear when we get back)

3 hours seems WAY too long unless doing things like what @Sam Lin describes.  I’ve only ever let it go for as long as it takes to get the skillet scorching hot.  But that’s because I just did it in a 1-2 sequence of events, not because I thought that was the best technique.  It’s always great when I do it that way, but who the hell knows, maybe it could be better if done longer?  Hell maybe 7 hours?  But not 8.

NYS, "traditional" method, over coals with smoking chunks & chips.

Lid on grilling for a good smoke rebound inside the kettle.

Forgot to take pics while prepped or in action, money shots barely remembered.

Standard baker & salad fare as accompaniments.

Trying the "food" filter on my Galaxy s8.f604f4e6727f28389d4535c3995778db.jpgb8bcad362aafc0e17872426a0dca9b02.jpga097f57b1201a082081e2eede34d871c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk