Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Isn't there a 95% death rate on'em?

There was a paper on Lancet showing 95% death rate in Wuhan. A few days ago I saw somewhere that a US doctor was saying that they learned a good bit since this started, and they reduced the death rate (after putting people on ventilators) from 75% to 25%. That would be huge if true across the board and not just anecdotal. Maybe chitown can comment.

• Like 1

You may be on to something here.  Without a cold war or more active enemy, we've transferred our fear and loathing to a stateless terror entity that happens to also be a brown, religious minority in this country and gone on from there.

You just can’t help but throw in the brown part can you? Goddamn.
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

I believe we have been doing that around here (NW/Rush at least) for well over a month. 

Right, but that's the first I remember hearing it. Wonder if that knowledge could have helped when NY was in the storm. 

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I believe we have been doing that around here (NW/Rush at least) for well over a month. 

I heard an Austin doc I know a bit got put on a vent about 3-4 weeks ago and came off(late 50's I'd say).  was good to hear cause I knew vent meant not good.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's great. I don't fucking CARE. I don't care about it on this thread. I wear a mask everywhere. I've been social distancing for over 8 weeks now. I treat people I meet with courtesy and respect in every aspect until they prove they don't deserve it. But you know what. There's another fucking thread for that discussion, and it's in the Cloak Room. I want the exact same fucking things you want. Masks. Testing. Competent Leadership. Less morons in the gene pool. But you know what, this isn't where I want to fucking talk about it, and it's not where everyone should be fucking talking about it. Why is this simple fucking concept so hard for you people to understand?

Stressing the importance of wearing face coverings to protect others, social distancing and hand washing is not political. Science does not support going bareback in this pandemic. Masks, distancing and hand washing are how we get to reopen this economy and keep it open. We have an economic tsunami in the pipe and headed our way. Falter here - and the financial and economic shitstorms raining down on us get a whole lot worse.

The Fed just said no to negative interest rates and the market is having a come to Jesus moment. Monetary policy through the Fed just blinked.

So it comes down to fiscal policy and public health policy. The pain will be there, but it is a question of how much pain. Failure to wear masks intensifies the economic pain (and unnecessarily kills fellow Americans - who will die alone in a hospital room with strangers).  That's not politics. It's economics, public health, philosophy, and sociology - all appropriate topics for this forum, which has a long history of discussing those areas. The minds in this room are certainly capable of denoting the differences in topics.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Bent knee or straight leg? On patients or with wife? You Chicagoans are progressive.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Stressing the importance of wearing face coverings to protect others, social distancing and hand washing is not political. Science does not support going bareback in this pandemic. Masks, distancing and hand washing are how we get to reopen this economy and keep it open. We have an economic tsunami in the pipe and headed our way. Falter here - and the financial and economic shitstorms raining down on us get a whole lot worse.

The Fed just said no to negative interest rates and the market is having a come to Jesus moment. Monetary policy through the Fed just blinked.

So it comes down to fiscal policy and public health policy. The pain will be there, but it is a question of how much pain. Failure to wear masks intensifies the economic pain (and unnecessarily kills fellow Americans - who will die alone in a hospital room with strangers).  That's not politics. It's economics, public health, philosophy, and sociology - all appropriate topics for this forum, which has a long history of discussing those areas. The minds in this room are certainly capable of denoting the differences in topics.

everyone on this thread already knows this and likely nearly eveyone on this thread adheres to it.  what is your point?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

There was a paper on Lancet showing 95% death rate in Wuhan. A few days ago I saw somewhere that a US doctor was saying that they learned a good bit since this started, and they reduced the death rate (after putting people on ventilators) from 75% to 25%. That would be huge if true across the board and not just anecdotal. Maybe chitown can comment.

That is huge. I heard the same thing from a French Virologist about better use of vents. In very preliminary research, science is looking at using polio and other vaccines as a way of helping the body fight off the COVID virus. A vaccine specifically for the virus is not imminent according to this researcher (realistically in mid-late 2021).

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

everyone on this thread already knows this and likely nearly eveyone on this thread adheres to it.  what is your point?

Does there need to be a point? Economic impact and the best practices for reducing harmful economic impacts of COVID 19 in the United States appear to be where the rubber meets the road.   

Does there need to be a point? Economic impact and the best practices for reducing harmful economic impacts of COVID 19 in the United States appear to be where the rubber meets the road.   

Thanks

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Some of us would prefer a point. As opposed to repeating the same common sense shit over and over and over again which somehow manages to trend towards political fucking handwringing and societal bellyaching. Or was “i now wonder if I was lucky to be born in America” somehow a commentary on our economy, public health, and best practices? 

Just now, dcar00 said:

per 1point3

looking at Tues/Wed tota of about 3500.

last Tues/Wed total was  about 4800

Good news. We are still about a week out from where we will know the impact in regards to hospitalizations for the partial reopening in most states.That data is getting fuzzier. I am focused on deaths per day - which will show up two to three weeks from now. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Some of us would prefer a point. As opposed to repeating the same common sense shit over and over and over again which somehow manages to trend towards political fucking handwringing and societal bellyaching. Or was “i now wonder if I was lucky to be born in America” somehow a commentary on our economy, public health, and best practices? 

Points are raised in political debate. This is a forum to discuss, not persuade.

Epiphanies are born in the realm of philosophy, no politics. 

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Good news. We are still about a week out from where we will know the impact in regards to hospitalizations for the partial reopening in most states.That data is getting fuzzier. I am focused on deaths per day - which will show up two to three weeks from now. 

you should focus on cases which should show up now, we are a week from the reopen most places.

What in the actual fuck is going on in here?

Checking in from Florida to let you know we have all been running around like a bunch of irresponsible idiots for the past 2 weeks and the numbers are still falling, or at least not spiking.  Is that a conversation for this thread?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

I should probably move...

Just now, dcar00 said:

you should focus on cases which should show up now, we are a week from the reopen most places.

Through testing? Have you found a reliable source for interpreting testing? With testing ramping up, that data is problematic - although I am sure some statical analysis could clean it up. 

Points are raised in political debate. This is a forum to discuss, not persuade.

Epiphanies are born in the realm of philosophy, no politics. 

Elbows are followed by Assholes - yes surly.

1 minute ago, jinx said:

Checking in from Florida to let you know we have all been running around like a bunch of irresponsible idiots for the past 2 weeks and the numbers are still falling, or at least not spiking.  Is that a conversation for this thread?

I think it is a great topic for this thread. It appears warm and humid conditions are not ideal for the virus. Getting outside is not as dangerous as commingling inside. 

Georgia is almost 3 weeks into their reopen. Is there a massive amount of cases and deaths that we were talking about before it opened? Since rule of thumb is death lags 2-3 weeks so their hospitalizations should be rocketing

Just now, jinx said:

could be.   first question before you post again 1) were you lucky enough to be born in America? yes or no.

seriously, this thing transmits high volume in coolish enclosed air spaces.  as soon as we got to mid May this was gong to fall off.  the target to start to reopen early May was to get us as close to Mid May as possible before folks started really opening.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Georgia is almost 3 weeks into their reopen. Is there a massive amount of cases and deaths that we were talking about before it opened? Since rule of thumb is death lags 2-3 weeks so their hospitalizations should be rocketing

this was always going to follow seasonal cycle regardless of the wild ass hand wringing.  still need to be careful/smart and still need to lock down olds big time but everyone else needs to get back to work. that will be limited by lawyers for a while.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

How many were saved by canceling SXSW?

It's a funny thing to think about, given how long ago that seems.  I have a friend who works for an organization that...I'm going to be careful how I word this since his group doesn't have many employees and could be identified, anyways they work with the state, county, city, businesses, etc., for promotional stuff, and they have a very good idea on where those flying in are coming from, the various demographics, etc..  We talked about it the other day, and in hindsight, they were pretty freaked out about how many cases could have been brought in to Austin and spread around, given the origins of those flying in.    

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

We're having it over in the CR, too.  But man, it seems germane as shit here.  I mean...we're discussing a public health issue.  That naturally means discussing public health preventative/protective measures.  Which leads to discussing failure points in those measures.

And the audience on this thread is MOSTLY educated and relatively rational.  But then again, see the anecdotal observations of many around here that in many places (and yes, there is some cultural/political correlation there), they are seeing very low mask usage.  And it's not like we can't look out in the world, and on the most-watched cable news network, and hear leading voices saying just what I noted -- masks are fascist bullshit.  It's a real-deal problem we have.

Funny shit, I see as many dipshit young liberals as I do old angry whitey racist xenophobes not wearing masks when I’m out and about.  No one gives fuck all, even after they rant about it on their FB and Nextdoor pages.  

that’s primarily the thing. One person’s “we need to start opening things up because we’re approaching irreparable damage to jobs” is some other fuckstick’s “way to go, hope you say bye to Grandma on Mother’s Day”.   The arguments are so binary, so elementary/rudimentary/fallacious that it’s become a fucking meme in of itself.  

this whole shit is so fucking stupid in every facet. The drive by rants of both sides make me want to find a liquid $500k and go live the life of a fucking broke beach bum in Costa Rica for the rest of my days.  

Edited by Trey3216
Fucking autocorrect
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don't think we are seeing any severe spike yet. Cases may be up, but that may be attributable to increased testing. Hospitalizations and deaths would be more precise in my opinion.

If this was a handful of yahoos, you'd be right.  But it's not.  It's between 1/4 and 1/3 of the population, which is enough "non-mask usage" to poke a huge hole in any preventative effect widespread usage could have:

The percentages who do NOT plan to wear a mask -- 24 and 33% -- is pretty damned high.  So, what I'm focusing on isn't made-up -- it's a real-deal, statistically significant problem.  And again....I truly and completely don't fucking get it.  Why? Just...why?

And as a preview, we'll cross the anti-vax bridge when we come to it in the next year as well.  

These poll numbers don’t jibe with the ones I’ve been presented on the other forum that say >80% approve of the shelter in place orders. Maybe the worm is turning there. 

Disclaimer- I think people should wear masks in businesses, although the two times I went to eat I did not. One was indoors. One outdoors. 

4 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Anyone else  ever get the feeling the occupational backgrounds on surly look something like this?

5 physicians, 2 accountants, 3 realtors, couple of small business owners, maybe a dozen tech guys, a military lifer or two, half a dozen construction contractors, couple of teachers, a few unemployed oil barons, a handful of retirees, 4 professional douchebags and around 6,000 lawyers?

I want to know who the other CPA is

• Haha 1

It's puts us well below the threshold of 80% where analysis seems to show where we'll see real, significant benefit.  So, the percentage of non-usage is material and significant.

It's not because public community transmission itself isn't a significant factor to begin with.  If you kiss your spouse, you are statistically doing way more damage than the person not wearing a mask at the grocer.

That's not an argument against doing it, but your moral grandstand isn't even true.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

I think the USA got a different, less-deadly strain than Europe.

58 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

but I thought we got the Europe strain and that is why NE is a shitshow.

55 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No, most of our infections can be traced back to strains that came here from Europe.  We have the same version they do.

The Euro strain hit the east coast early and is distinguishable from the early strain in most of NA.  Hypothetically, it spreads faster but is not necessarily more dangerous.

I think it's now the most common strain in NA.  I'd have to double check that.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

I don't think we are seeing any severe spike yet. Cases may be up, but that may be attributable to increased testing. Hospitalizations and deaths would be more precise in my opinion.

good luck getting any solid hospitalization data.  yes deaths would be precise obviously but everyone is screaming about rubes everywhere if we reopen.  well we did.  so cases should be skyrocketing(more testing, more people getting sick because rubes!).

as an aside my PCP sent me an email about getting anitbody test if I want. no problem with at most a 5 day turn time.  I had the weirdest ass flu I've ever had mid Feb.  horrible worst hacking break your back cough, very slight fever for one day, and was drained for a 7-10 days after. I never had trouble breathing though really. I may go get it.

51 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we don't smoke as much as europe either.

France is experimenting with nicotine patches as a prophylactic for the coronavirus.

This novel coronavirus is such a confounding virus - which all exist at the edge of chemistry and life.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-viruses-alive-2004/

Edited by washparkhorn
cite

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

as an aside my PCP sent me an email about getting anitbody test if I want. no problem with at most a 5 day turn time.  I had the weirdest ass flu I've ever had mid Feb.  horrible worst hacking break your back cough, very slight fever for one day, and was drained for a 7-10 days after. I never had trouble breathing though really. I may go get it.

We had a pneumonia outbreak (small) in California at the end of 2019. Some were thinking it was early corona clap, but antibody testing has been largely negative. There was also the mystery vaping illness that some speculated might be early corona. It looks like the vaping was lax manufacturing standards by amateurs, not corona.

36 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

We have an economic tsunami in the pipe and headed our way. Falter here - and the financial and economic shitstorms raining down on us get a whole lot worse.

It's easy to dismiss a lot of stuff for those who are not directly affected by it (as in their jobs were lost or paychecks stopped flowing).   We see its with young people who are living off of   their parents, and we see it with olds who are retired and have money coming in, or who cashed out.   They are inconvenienced that they can't eat out, or they have to get rough toilet paper instead of caress-your-ass toilet paper.

But last week, Mnuchin was talking about the actual unemployment rate was quite a bit higher than the reported rate.  And the fall doesn't look good.  It's easy for people to blow it off and say it was nothing or it's not going to be a problem, but there are way too many businesses and large organizations (the US military, universities, etc.) who are planning for a worst-case scenario, and they don't do that lightly, since it's costing them a shitload of money.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yeah, many predicted disaster when the governor decided to reopen. But disaster hasn’t struck. Not sure what gives. 

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/real-time-updates-coronavirus-in-georgia/85-0022f9eb-87b5-48f1-a179-e6b99912f5ac

Highlights (as of 5/13):
* Total deaths - 1,505 
* Total cases – 35,332
* Over the last 14 days (4/30-5/13) the avg daily increase in newly reported deaths was 27.29
* Over the previous 14-day period (4/16-4/29) the avg  daily increase in newly reported deaths was 34.93.
* Over the last 14 days the avg daily increase in newly confirmed cases was 659.86.
* Over the previous 14-day period the avg daily increase in newly confirmed cases was 703.64.

Edited by Bruno Sardine
  • Like 3

We're having it over in the CR, too.  But man, it seems germane as shit here.  I mean...we're discussing a public health issue.  That naturally means discussing public health preventative/protective measures.  Which leads to discussing failure points in those measures.

And the audience on this thread is MOSTLY educated and relatively rational.  But then again, see the anecdotal observations of many around here that in many places (and yes, there is some cultural/political correlation there), they are seeing very low mask usage.  And it's not like we can't look out in the world, and on the most-watched cable news network, and hear leading voices saying just what I noted -- masks are fascist bullshit.  It's a real-deal problem we have.

I have to say in my small circle where I'm doing probably 95% or more of my outings from the house  here in Dallas (I live near Love Field), I'm seeing most people abiding by masks in the places I'm going, supermarkets, liquor stores, etc. I even ventured into Target on Lemmon this afternoon to get something for my daughter. Everybody had on masks except one older woman who had two kids under the age of 7 with her -- no mask on the woman or the kids. I have yet to venture into a restaurant to eat but I'm seeing some outside patios (I'm looking at you Fernando's) that are clearly not practicing any noticeable social distancing outside anyways.

There are definitely people out there screaming about the mask issue (what about 'muh rights?) on other platforms for sure but maybe not so prevalent here. Again, most of this group is pretty well-educated and reasonable on matters such as this.

• Like 1

Yeah, many predicted disaster when the governor decided to reopen. But disaster hasn’t struck. Not sure what gives. 
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/real-time-updates-coronavirus-in-georgia/85-0022f9eb-87b5-48f1-a179-e6b99912f5ac
Highlights (as of 5/13):
* Total deaths - 1,505 
* Total cases – 35,332
* Over the last 14 days (4/30-5/13) the avg daily increase in newly reported deaths was 27.29
* Over the previous 14-day period (4/16-4/29) the avg  daily increase in newly reported deaths was 34.93.
* Over the last 14 days the avg daily increase in newly confirmed cases was 659.86.
* Over the previous 14-day period the avg daily increase in newly confirmed cases was 703.64.

Good stuff
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

So if America is already the Greatest?  This is the part where I get confused.  Or are we talking More Greater?  

Let's Turn America Up to 11

Edited by Lobo

18 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

There was also the mystery vaping illness that some speculated might be early corona. It looks like the vaping was lax manufacturing standards by amateurs, not corona.

Also China

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away