Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

HEB employee at the entrance loudly thanking people for wearing masks while shopping. 

still plenty of morons wearing them under their chins.  i guess the act of breathing is so hard for them they can't have any impediments.

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

HEB employee at the entrance loudly thanking people for wearing masks while shopping. 

still plenty of morons wearing them under their chins.  i guess the act of breathing is so hard for them they can't have any impediments.

We are all Kentucky woman, dude....

face-mask-hole-cut-video.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Lol at Washington requiring dine in restaurants to keep a listing of all patrons. We are all China now. We are all Asshole.

Contact tracing is a pretty key part of controlling and eliminating a disease. Case in point: we defeated smallpox not through universal vaccination, but through contact tracing so we could follow the disease as it spread. 

But sure, anything you don't like is china-like totalitarianism. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 5

Sounds pretty reasonable. You use a credit card at a restaurant they have your name, you make a reservation at a restaurant they have your name.  You walk in the door and you're on a video camera in many cases. Keeping tabs on who's been to specific places makes sense with a pandemic in the neighborhood.

Didn't know that about smallpox, veeeery inter-dasting....

Hours after LA announces lockdown extenstion, several FB groups im in along with email blasts from local establishments bascially tossing in the towel. In a high cost of living area like this looking at 5 months locked down its going to be anarchy.  2 restaurants on the pier basically said they are filing for bankruptcy,  a few local mom and pops are calling it a day as well .

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

Hours after LA announces lockdown extenstion, several FB groups im in along with email blasts from local establishments bascially tossing in the towel. In a high cost of living area like this looking at 5 months locked down its going to be anarchy.  2 restaurants on the pier basically said they are filing for bankruptcy,  a few local mom and pops are calling it a day as well .

For the greater good 

Contact tracing is a pretty key part of controlling and eliminating a disease. Case in point: we defeated smallpox not through universal vaccination, but through contact tracing so we could follow the disease as it spread. 

Actually I see this as an effective way to get contact trade to work.

“Especially if there’s really no leadership to get contact trace to work here. Olds aren’t going to use their smart phones or Learn to so getting a text from said restaurant that someone was positive there is the only way they’ll get the word they’ve been exposed

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's still official CDC policy as well

https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/bioterrorism-response-planning/public-health/epidemiological-investigation.html

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/158/2/118/323328

You can't control an infectious disease if you don't know where it is and how it got there, and you certainly can't keep an infectious patient from spreading if you don't know where they are or where they've been. 

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sounds pretty reasonable. You use a credit card at a restaurant they have your name, you make a reservation at a restaurant they have your name.  You walk in the door and you're on a video camera in many cases. Keeping tabs on who's been to specific places makes sense with a pandemic in the neighborhood.

Yeah, on the restaurant or even bar front, I would support this.  Seems easy, can then contract trace.  Also, would keep some people at home.  Better for me.  

28 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Wouldn’t you need to do the same thing at the grocery store, pharmacy, hardware store, etc... Any place groups of people are allowed to go and be in the same enclosed place. If you think it’s necessary to be effective for tracing.

If they are going to require that for restaurants and it’s that critical, why not everywhere? 

And I do think contact tracing is critical.

4 hours ago, elguapo said:

Hey now, just because all of his talking points look like they came straight from your Aunt who watches Fox News all day's Facebook page DOES NOT mean that he's agenda driven!

It is fucking uncanny how similarly they read.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Wouldn’t you need to do the same thing at the grocery store, pharmacy, hardware store, etc... Any place groups of people are allowed to go and be in the same enclosed place. If you think it’s necessary to be effective for tracing.

If they are going to require that for restaurants and it’s that critical, why not everywhere? 

With the disclaimer that I am not a medical expert, and this is just my educated guess:

The amount and/or density of virus an infected person may kick out of their face holes while walking around shopping at a home depot or HEB, masked or not, is going to be significantly lower than while sitting in one place in a room with no mask on, eating and presumably talking, for at least half an hour. And then when they're done eating, the wipedown with a Clorox wipe isn't gonna get it all off the surface of the table, and droplets containing the virus will still be in the air

The infectiousness of COVID has fairly reliably been a factor of time AND quantity of virus that someone is exposed to. Considering those favors, a restaurant is uniquely well suited to facilitate the spread of COVID, and is worth the effort to track interactions there in lieu of a more comprehensive and invasive contact tracing program. 

Edited by Captainant

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

Why don't they just admit that they track everything we do and say on our phones anyway?

As long as they give us back college football.

Also this is accurate. Private corporations already know where you are, every minute you have your phone. Literally anyone could buy your real-time location data from AT&T, Sprint, or any of the big carriers

Once a vaccine becomes available, I’m starting to think the only way to get travel and schools open quicker would be a Vaccine Verification card or some shit. 

Even if the US makes everyone get a vaccine, it’s still going to be a while for the world to get vaccinated. 

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Once a vaccine becomes available, I’m starting to think the only way to get travel and schools open quicker would be a Vaccine Verification card or some shit. 

Even if the US makes everyone get a vaccine, it’s still going to be a while for the world to get vaccinated. 

If a vaccine becomes available.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Boy howdy, if you thought requiring masks in a grocery store got people upset.... Antivaxxers are still around, and in force. Some even hold office....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Not just speculation, let me help out with this line of thinking. 

Therefore, we synthesized the SHC014 spike in the context of the replication competent, mouse-adapted SARS-CoV backbone (SHC014- MA15)

here:  https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985.pdf?origin=ppub

And here:  https://www.med.unc.edu/orfeome/files/2018/03/a-sars-like-cluster-of-circulating-bat-coronaviruses-shows-potential-for-human-emergence.pdf

this is a scientific paper about how they were combining SHC014 which is the virus 96% similar to COV19 with SARS to create something that 

And about SHC014

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151110115711.htm

This virus is highly pathogenic and treatments developed against the original SARS virus in 2002 and the ZMapp drugs used to fight Ebola fail to neutralize and control this particular virus,

i mean, it's not as good as YouTube for some people on here, but they were absolutely fucking around with bat corona viruses and making new ones that were both highly pathogenic, infects  the airways through ACE2, transfers straight from bat to humans, and resistant to known treatments.   We don't know for certain where this virus originated but all the coincidences surrounding the lab make it hard to think it instead came from the market a block away with no known intermediate host.  

Seems a lot more likely it came out of the lab and the market turned out to be an early place for it to spread easily.  

You cracked it, man - the virus came from UNC Chapel Hill (where most of the authors of those papers were from). 

No credible evidence supporting claims of the laboratory engineering of SARS-CoV-2

Some people have alleged that the human SARS-CoV-2 was leaked directly from a laboratory in Wuhan where a bat CoV (RaTG13) was recently reported, which shared ∼96% homology with the SARS-CoV-2 [4]. However, as we know, the human SARS-CoV and intermediate host palm civet SARS-like CoV shared 99.8% homology, with a total of 202 single-nucleotide (nt) variations (SNVs) identified across the genome [6]. Given that there are greater than 1,100 nt differences between the human SARS-CoV-2 and the bat RaTG13-CoV [4], which are distributed throughout the genome in a naturally occurring pattern following the evolutionary characteristics typical of CoVs, it is highly unlikely that RaTG13 CoV is the immediate source of SARS-CoV-2. The absence of a logical targeted pattern in the new viral sequences and a close relative in a wildlife species (bats) are the most revealing signs that SARS-CoV-2 evolved by natural evolution.

Another claim in Chinese social media points to a Nature Medicine paper published in 2015 [7], which reports the construction of a chimeric CoV with a bat CoV S gene (SHC014) in the backbone of a SARS CoV that has adapted to infect mice (MA15) and is capable of infecting human cells [8]. However, this claim lacks any scientific basis and must be discounted because of significant divergence in the genetic sequence of this construct with the new SARS-CoV-2 (>5,000 nucleotides).

Regardless, upon careful phylogenetic analyses by multiple international groups [5,14], the SARS-CoV-2 is undoubtedly distinct from SL-SHC014-MA15, with >6,000 nucleotide differences across the whole genome. Therefore, once again there is no credible evidence to support the claim that the SARS-CoV-2 is derived from the chimeric SL-SHC014-MA15 virus.

• Like 1

Damn, this was so close to being a pretty useful post.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Boy howdy, if you thought requiring masks in a grocery store got people upset.... Antivaxxers are still around, and in force. Some even hold office....

That is my concern dude.

Would you feel comfortable sending your kids to school knowing non-vaccinated kids attend?

Would you feel comfortable letting travelers in your country without knowing they were vaccinated?

Can’t believe I have to point this out but the big difference is that all of these private businesses will have to turn over all that contact info to the government without a warrant or subpoena. That’s different than me voluntarily giving my info to the local pizza delivery place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sunset87 said:

Speaking of contact tracing, this was the letter to the City of Austin/Travis County that mentioned that the city can't ask anybody to do contact tracing.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/images/admin/2020/Press/Travis County and the City of Austin Letter_05122020.pdf

Thankfully, we seem to be doing fairly well in Austin, and hopefully it won't come into play.  If we can do a good enough job this fall with the hand washing, sanitizing, and masks, things can remain a lot more open.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Austin ISD - task force on how to handle the fall openings (or not).

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/aisd-creates-re-entry-task-force-for-restarting-school/

Options include:

• Open the school year earlier to help make up for potential lost time later in the fall if they have to close the physical schools
  • Delay the school year if things aren't ready
  • Open or run the schools at reduced  capacity to provide some kind of social distancing (students go every other day).

During a meeting Monday, superintendent Paul Cruz announced he created a re-entry task force to look at scenarios around restarting schools. He said the task force would study information provided by the Texas Education Agency, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other agencies. 

Cruz says the task force might consider starting the 2020-21 school year earlier than the current Aug. 18 start date to make up for any school days lost due to a possible second surge of COVID-19 cases during the fall semester.

There's not a lot of good ways to do this if we get hit again this fall.  But at least everybody will be ready for online I suppose.  I'd love to be a Chromebook salesman hitting up the school districts right about now.

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

My god...Washington-Oregon-California-Arizona-Nevada-New Mexico-Colorado-Texas.  What would that be, the world's 3rd largest economy?   

We'd fuck it up though and stay with Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama.  What a juggernaut of an economy that'd be...Texas and its 5 brothers named Darryl.  

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, Txzen said:

You cracked it, man - the virus came from UNC Chapel Hill (where most of the authors of those papers were from). 

No credible evidence supporting claims of the laboratory engineering of SARS-CoV-2

Read through the credits and the labs cited.  Shi Zhengli and the Wuhan virology lab.   I posted the UNC copy so that dumbfucks wouldn't say "oh look, some paper written by some Chinese person". 

The original article was written by and attributed to Shi Zhengli and the wuhan lab of virology.  She is after all the one who discovered the virus most closely related to COV19

https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

when I first read the article it read much differently.  Since then there has been this:

Change history

• 30 March 2020

Editors’ note, March 2020: We are aware that this article is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

Also, up until a month ago if you googled her name it pulled up many articles she authored, how she found the closest relative to COV19, the different bat corona viruses she studied, how she was recombining bat corona viruses to make new ones.  But now with a cursory search they aren't there,  just a bunch a news feeds about her disappearing and denials that she has defected to the west with intelligence files    This thing  stinks, but you keep fucking that wet market pangolin   

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Intersti?  Nah, women pref bigpox.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Can’t believe I have to point this out but the big difference is that all of these private businesses will have to turn over all that contact info to the government without a warrant or subpoena. That’s different than me voluntarily giving my info to the local pizza delivery place.

Nothing like that would need to happen. Here is brief video from MIT on the concept

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I agree but the rectal thermometer before you can order appetizers is a bit much.  

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away