Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

12 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Um, what?

Someone posted a tweet that said "LA COUNTY TO EXTEND LOCK DOWN"

You responded with:

How are we supposed to read that? By '"they" you were referring to the Western State Alliance of 5 states?

Can't read your mind dude.

Apparently those extra states signed on. Here on 5/5 his plan is for state bailouts - 1 trillion. Now it’s 5 states need a trillion. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/newsoms-1-trillion-ask-of-congress-more-protests-planned-coronavirus-discrimination/ar-BB13CKKW

What concerns many budget watchdogs, though they say such aid appears necessary, is the lack of precision behind the numbers.

“What we’re seeing is people picking numbers and people picking multiples,” said Maya MacGuineas, president of the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.

The National Governors Association has asked lawmakers for $500 billion, a figure it developed by looking at projected losses across major categories of state revenue. The National Association of State Budget Officers projects a 20 percent drop.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You seem very.... agenda-driven. With wrong facts. About a lot of this. 

Hey now, just because all of his talking points look like they came straight from your Aunt who watches Fox News all day's Facebook page DOES NOT mean that he's agenda driven!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

western state alliance...interedasting.  wonder if they will threaten to secede if they don't get it?  I think I'd go with Western State Axis

Really proud of your continual ability to stay above the partisan fray. You are a shining example of keeping this thread completely apolitical.

I guess someone's got to keep fucking that chicken since the rest of the "NO POLITICS" crew has gotten banned from the thread or board for talking politics too often.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Maybe. LA accounts for about half of COVID deaths and cases in CA. People here are taking it pretty seriously.

I'm thinking if they really are taking it pretty seriously shouldn't they be able to flatten their curve in less than 5 months?

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm thinking if they really are taking it pretty seriously shouldn't they be able to flatten their curve in less than 5 months?

I should hope so. Seems like deaths per day has started to drop. We were up near 60-90 deaths a day. Now, its like 20-40 I think?

Also, should point out that the tweet that started all this from the LA times is misleading. 

“Our hope is that by using the data, we’d be able to slowly lift restrictions over the next three months,” she said. But without widely available therapeutic testing for the coronavirus or rapid at-home versions that would allow people to test themselves daily, it seems unlikely that restrictions would be completely eased.

So, she's not saying that full lockdown will continue for 3 months, only that its unlikely that restrictions will be erased entirely in 3 months time. That's a pretty big distinction.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Really proud of your continual ability to stay above the partisan fray. You are a shining example of keeping this thread completely apolitical.

I guess someone's got to keep fucking that chicken since the rest of the "NO POLITICS" crew has gotten banned from the thread or board for talking politics too often.

maybe I should whine about thread titles...

Back to the question:  COVID.  Rampant homelessness in LA.  How are they mitigating this?  There were indication other illnesses pre-COVID were making their rounds through the tent cities, etc.  Now this?  How are they managing this?  Shelters have to be ground zero for infections.  

I don’t see how pegging will help, but I’m not a doctor.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For your afternoon livestock update, fresh pork declined , and belly values collapsed $50, with packer runs improving again. If the packers improve tomorrow and pork pulls back again it should confirm a high with elevated values likely to remain for awhile. Beef edged higher on choice with select off a bit with more packer improvement. The beef peak is likely very close as well. 

• Like 4

Guest Lobo

My god...Washington-Oregon-California-Arizona-Nevada-New Mexico-Colorado-Texas.  What would that be, the world's 3rd largest economy?   

We'd fuck it up though and stay with Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama.  What a juggernaut of an economy that'd be...Texas and its 5 brothers named Darryl.  

15 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

For your afternoon livestock update, fresh pork declined , and belly values collapsed $50, with packer runs improving again. If the packers improve tomorrow and pork pulls back again it should confirm a high with elevated values likely to remain for awhile. Beef edged higher on choice with select off a bit with more packer improvement. The beef peak is likely very close as well. 

So do I wait until next week to cook hamburgers?

14 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I come here for the porkers and pecker improvement posts. 

. . . and Texas needs to be an independent. Beware of foreign entanglements. That's how California - "nation/state" - became the 5th largest economy in the world. Texas has a different vibe from California and the U.S.  Go with what you know. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You expected them to read past a headline?!?!

It's a problem with delivering news via Twitter which is becoming the norm today. Everything is a headline. 

It's also a problem when the LA Times and almost every other news agency use Twitter for click bait. Their tweet inaccurately describes the overall message behind their own article. They obviously do that because they get more clicks when they say LA will extend stay-at-home for 3 months compared to saying that LA will gradually ease restrictions over the next 3 months.

This is not new and is not limited to COVID-19 or this thread, but is extremely annoying.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I come here for the porkers and pecker improvement posts. 

. . . and Texas needs to be an independent. Beware of foreign entanglements. That's how California - "nation/state" - became the 5th largest economy in the world. Texas has a different vibe from California and the U.S.  Go with what you know. 

$12 bbl oil says "be careful what you wish for."

Before petroleum, we were Alabama with cattle, economically.  Take away petroleum, and the myth of how much we have "diversified" our economy will be shattered rather quickly.  The "Texas miracle" that has been touted for the last decade rests almost entirely on oil being around $80 bbl, give or take.  At $80 a bbl, Texas looks like this:

5241600602_70d92a5415_b.jpg

At $12 a bbl, we end up looking like this, real quick-like:

ou_tranny_cheerleader.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Negatively impacting enrollment I'd guess.  Already is with many other regions and universities around the rest of the country.  If they won't re-open, what will the impact to sports events be?  

Hard to imagine how student athletes will practice and play on campus when campus is largely closed.  Not impossible, just really a stretch.

I think that this will be how universities fall into line for the Fall.  They are going to plan for online learning, except where labs and in-person performance and instruction is truly necessary.  This looks to be what my daughter's university in Canada (and several other Canadian schools) are going to do.  The hope is to have an online semester, and have some way to go back to near-normal for the spring.

Strange fucking times, man.

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Negatively impacting enrollment I'd guess.  Already is with many other regions and universities around the rest of the country.  If they won't re-open, what will the impact to sports events be?  

No students on campus. No football would be my guess

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hard to imagine how student athletes will practice and play on campus when campus is largely closed.  Not impossible, just really a stretch.

I think that this will be how universities fall into line for the Fall.  They are going to plan for online learning, except where labs and in-person performance and instruction is truly necessary.  This looks to be what my daughter's university in Canada (and several other Canadian schools) are going to do.  The hope is to have an online semester, and have some way to go back to near-normal for the spring.

Strange fucking times, man.

That is such a give up plan (not you, the campuses).  An age group with some of the lowest risk factors, away from home.  Many in regions with limited or greatly reduced case numbers.  There's no nuance or seeming plan here.  Just these massive, blanket edicts which is history tell us anything, tend to cause more harm than they mitigate.  If schools open because of the financial component (sports/enrollment), then it calls out the efficacy of the plan to begin with?  

I have heard that you can't overlook their state budget constraints. They were barely solvent before this mess.  They are going to take a far bigger budget hit closing dorms, cafeterias, and losing other on-campus fees. They are going to bleed money running virtual campuses, and then open right in time for football season (my guess)?  

One the plus side, I see this driving down tuition costs to try and incentivize students to enroll 

• Like 3

Guest Lobo

Well that would be about that 0.01% number that some dumbasses thought was the real mortality rate in a place east of here a few months back.  I'd say it all checks out.  

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree. UC appears to be going the same way out here in California, but it is up in the air. 

BTW - one of my kids is looking at McGill as a destination in two year - is that where your kiddo is going? Has it met the family's expectations?

Edited by washparkhorn

44 minutes ago, JBJ said:

So do I wait until next week to cook hamburgers?

Depends if you already have the ground beef. I think we will see a step up in grinding so it should improve in availablilty and price, just might be more short oddball cuts that get ground 

On 5/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, XYZ said:

There’s also speculation that they were fucking around at the Wuhan lab to determine what it would take to make a bat coronavirus infectious for humans, so they were actively manipulating viruses. And here we are.

Not just speculation, let me help out with this line of thinking. 

Therefore, we synthesized the SHC014 spike in the context of the replication competent, mouse-adapted SARS-CoV backbone (SHC014- MA15)

here:  https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985.pdf?origin=ppub

And here:  https://www.med.unc.edu/orfeome/files/2018/03/a-sars-like-cluster-of-circulating-bat-coronaviruses-shows-potential-for-human-emergence.pdf

this is a scientific paper about how they were combining SHC014 which is the virus 96% similar to COV19 with SARS to create something that 

And about SHC014

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151110115711.htm

This virus is highly pathogenic and treatments developed against the original SARS virus in 2002 and the ZMapp drugs used to fight Ebola fail to neutralize and control this particular virus,

i mean, it's not as good as YouTube for some people on here, but they were absolutely fucking around with bat corona viruses and making new ones that were both highly pathogenic, infects  the airways through ACE2, transfers straight from bat to humans, and resistant to known treatments.   We don't know for certain where this virus originated but all the coincidences surrounding the lab make it hard to think it instead came from the market a block away with no known intermediate host.  

Seems a lot more likely it came out of the lab and the market turned out to be an early place for it to spread easily.  

• Like 2

Yikes. Apparently Michigan followed NY and sent the virus directly to nursing homes and extended care facilities. 

order 2020-50

1. A long-term care facility must not prohibit admission or readmission of a resident based on COVID-19 testing requirements or results in a manner that is inconsistent with relevant guidance issued by the Department of Health and Human Services (“DHHS”).
  1. A nursing home with a census below 80% must create a unit dedicated to the care of COVID-19-affected residents (“dedicated unit”) and must provide appropriate PPE, as available, to direct-care employees who staff the dedicated unit. A nursing home provider that operates multiple facilities may create a dedicated unit by dedicating a facility for such a purpose.

full text here

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90499_90705-525942--,00.html

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well that would be about that 0.01% number that some dumbasses thought was the real mortality rate in a place east of here a few months back.  I'd say it all checks out.  

I think your graphing calculator is running out of batteries 

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

It's a problem with delivering news via Twitter which is becoming the norm today. Everything is a headline. 

It's also a problem when the LA Times and almost every other news agency use Twitter for click bait. Their tweet inaccurately describes the overall message behind their own article. They obviously do that because they get more clicks when they say LA will extend stay-at-home for 3 months compared to saying that LA will gradually ease restrictions over the next 3 months.

This is not new and is not limited to COVID-19 or this thread, but is extremely annoying.

54 minutes ago, utee94 said:

"Twitter is the downfall of society."

-Charlie Strong

These are both exactly right.

Guest Lobo

Well, I got 0.009, so I just rounded up to .01 since most fatality rates are quoted to that decimal place.  no good?  They're all just throwing around bullshit numbers anyway.  

Guest Lobo

2,000 into 232,000 is .0086.  Imma call that .009.  Granted .01 would be 2,320.  But in russia, they take off 320 deaths from everything as standard operating procedure.  It was their system for rifle making during WWII.  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Lobo said:

2,000 into 232,000 is .0086.  Imma call that .009.  Granted .01% would be 2,320.  But in russia, they take off 320 deaths from everything as standard operating procedure.  It was their system for rifle making during WWII.  

yikes

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away