Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

26 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Our county medical society met yesterday for their monthly social, it was virtual though. Tracing was the biggest topic, second on the list was testing. These are the things they see as necessary to reopening.

Nope.  We can't do either.  We have to limit testing because more testing means "bad numbers," and we can't have those.  And not tracing at all, because MAH FREEDOMS.  So, those are right out.

We're going to stick with the Great American Plan For Any Bad Event, thank you very much:

200.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Spain has been able to reduce the number of daily new cases by about 73% from their peak. Italy by 84%. Switzerland by 90+%. USA roughly by 30% (assuming the numbers from the past couple of days hold). Do those other countries have more restrictions in place, or are the people following the restrictions more carefully than in the USA?

Of course they’re following the restrictions in other countries. Americans hate being told what to do by the government. It’s the American way.

7 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Spain has been able to reduce the number of daily new cases by about 73% from their peak. Italy by 84%. Switzerland by 90+%. USA roughly by 30% (assuming the numbers from the past couple of days hold). Do those other countries have more restrictions in place, or are the people following the restrictions more carefully than in the USA?

Yes.

It's amazing how many people are more concerned about the well-being alcoholics and drug users than they are old people, given that being old isn't a choice and using drugs and alcohol is.

I guess there are very few of us left who believe in personal responsibility.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Fuck You 4

Guest Lobo

If you had, on your pandemic bingo card, Bernie Sanders' Red Hot Chili Peppers playbill behind his head during official committee hearings...you are today's big winner.  

39 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes I think looking at options to open vs playing politics is important.  Every area is different but we are not seeing enough real analysis.  Also where’s the tracing?  Easier to open with tracing. The feds threw all this to states who are ill equipped to do any of this.  If that’s politics then ban me, bro.  

Yeah I was told there would be flying cars a Google covid tracker by now.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's amazing how many people are more concerned about the well-being alcoholics and drug users than they are old people, given that being old isn't a choice and using drugs and alcohol is.

So do you think that a drug addict can quit by will power?

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don’t know.  LOTS of drug abusers and alcoholics have severe mental illness.  Don’t fall into the trap of ‘oh all these people made terrible choices’.  Although it’s much easier to live life pigeonholing all those people as misfits...

• Like 4

Guest Lobo

BradInATX:  

Whatever you're on dude, I want some.  Substance abuse also hits minorities harder than the White demographic.  And it's settled science that Covid-19 is hitting minority populations harder than the White demographic (more to do obviously with obesity, lack of good health care, education, etc.).  So what's your solution there?  If we're favoring substance abusers over old people, what is a group has all three issues (more substance abuse, higher risk to Covid-19, and aging under a worse health care system)?  Can't wait to hear your plan for those folks.  

Can't wait to see what cabinet position awaits you.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

They aren't just counting Covid-19 diagnosis codes anywhere from the medical reporting, but specifically on the death certificate. The fact that more than one contributing factor is listed on the death certificate isn't unusual. And it doesn't seem critically important to me either. The medical professionals involved believed that the Covid-19 was a sufficient enough contributing cause to be listed on the death certificate. 

I don't disagree with anything you posted.  I already said this was the correct thing to do at this point in time.

I only wanted to point out that the death count in 5 years when the scientists start doing attribution studies is primed to go down.  Deaths normally do go down for almost everything, from lung cancer to drug overdose.

To some extent this is a problem baked-in and not specific to covid.  Because being listed on the death certified as a cause and actually being the thing that kills you are different things and it takes a view wider than the than at the coroner-level and longer than a few months in to figure that out.

I made the mistake of posting a list of higher-level concepts in the middle of a spat over medicare scams.  It wasn't supposed to be related.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  We can't do either.  We have to limit testing because more testing means "bad numbers," and we can't have those.  And not tracing at all, because MAH FREEDOMS.  So, those are right out.

We're going to stick with the Great American Plan For Any Bad Event, thank you very much:

200.gif

Its been a while....BALLGAME!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:
14 hours ago, workswithseed said:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/people-in-hong-kong-are-becoming-ill-with-rat-hepatitis-for-first-time-ever-no-one-knows-how-its-happening?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

"A new report this week outlined an increasing virus problem in Hong Kong, which is attached to mainland China, where rat hepatitis E is jumping from rats to humans for the first time in history, and no one seems to know how it’s happening.
The first case was reported in 2018 when infectious disease experts at the University of Hong Kong (HKU) examined a man who had just undergone a liver transplant and was having liver problems."

Read more  

So covid is just misdirection to distract us from hep from rats. There is a god and its sense of humor is a little twisted.

Wilford Brimley helped millions fight the ‘beetus, maybe he can help millions more fight the ‘titis.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

It would not surprise me in the least if more people end up dying from Corona lockdown and restrictions than having the actual virus over the next year or two.  Gotta figure that alcohol and drug abuse are worse than ever, combined with depression and other mental illness from isolation is really going to take a toll.  Not to say the restrictions weren't necessary, but that this was always going to be a result attributable to the response.

Imagine if college football is partially or fully shutdown this fall.  Increasing spousal abuse will be another problem to add to the list.  

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes I think looking at options to open vs playing politics is important.  Every area is different but we are not seeing enough real analysis.  Also where’s the tracing?  Easier to open with tracing. The feds threw all this to states who are ill equipped to do any of this.  If that’s politics then ban me, bro.  

Tracing  was probably tossed to the states partly because it was political and an election year.  There is a segment that would fight it tooth-and-nail, just like they’ve been fighting the maskS and social distancing stuff.

But it’s also a helluva lot tougher to trace here, given how mobile and spread out our society is.  I’m not talking about mass transit like NYC (since there is mass transit in Europe and China). There are folks who will drive down a few miles to the convenience store for a pack of smokes.  There’s people who will spend all day shopping through a dozen or more stores.  

And there’s other issues.  Businesses fighting the release of information.   Here in Austin, we have hospital networks fighting the release of covid stats.  We have the city fighting the release of info about nursing homes.

Just imagine a situation like South Korea where they had an app that would warn you when you were entering a business that covid victim had visited or would show you all the places that covid victims had visited and when.   Businesses here would fight that like crazy.   

For your AM livestock update, pork prices edged higher, with bellies off about 10 bucks, with reports of fresh pork being available on the spot market for retailers for the first time in a couple week with plant reopenings going smoothly so far. Choice beef surged higher again, but select was flatter as we see the choice select spread widen, which is too be expected with the packing plant games going on, with Kansas cash sales 15 better than Texas.(Usually they are within a buck of each other) We will see what the packer runs say this afternoon, which is the biggest key right now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tracing  was probably tossed to the states partly because it was political and an election year.  There is a segment that would fight it tooth-and-nail, just like they’ve been fighting the maskS and social distancing stuff.

But it’s also a helluva lot tougher to trace here, given how mobile and spread out our society is.  I’m not talking about mass transit like NYC (since there is mass transit in Europe and China). There are folks who will drive down a few miles to the convenience store for a pack of smokes.  There’s people who will spend all day shopping through a dozen or more stores.  

And there’s other issues.  Businesses fighting the release of information.   Here in Austin, we have hospital networks fighting the release of covid stats.  We have the city fighting the release of info about nursing homes.

Just imagine a situation like South Korea where they had an app that would warn you when you were entering a business that covid victim had visited or would show you all the places that covid victims had visited and when.   Businesses here would fight that like crazy.   

Totally agree it’s very difficult but the lack of any effort through the end of April is still eye opening.  We are seeing more concrete plans now - some privacy will have to be relinquished and we all agree that’s a fucking powderkeg with the politics of the day...

42 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I don't disagree with anything you posted.  I already said this was the correct thing to do at this point in time.

I only wanted to point out that the death count in 5 years when the scientists start doing attribution studies is primed to go down.  Deaths normally do go down for almost everything, from lung cancer to drug overdose.

To some extent this is a problem baked-in and not specific to covid.  Because being listed on the death certified as a cause and actually being the thing that kills you are different things and it takes a view wider than the than at the coroner-level and longer than a few months in to figure that out.

I made the mistake of posting a list of higher-level concepts in the middle of a spat over medicare scams.  It wasn't supposed to be related.

I honestly didn't think you were getting involved in the middle of that. I just wanted to clarify for others that coding is done at different levels. Having a diagnosis code for Covid-19 treatment is not the same thing as having that code appear as a cause of death. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Guest Lobo

All the calls for prayer and God's blessings by people in positions of leadership (public and private) has really been inspiring to those of us Christians.  We're in a really bad way here in America and having fellow men of faith call on the Lord to watch over us has given much needed solace in this challenging time.  I know many of you, my fellow Texans of Faith, feel the same way.  Let's be thankful, yes? 

I very much believe in the separation of church and state, but not even the most ardent atheist has an issue when a major public figure or celebrity asks for us to pray for a way through the darkness in whatever form we choose.  The complete and total absence of such a request is a tad curious to me though, to be honest.  Even my anti-organized religion father and older brother, after a 3-month pandemic of biblical proportions, would accidentally encourage me to say a prayer at the end of their remarks (which as you can tell by me, would due to genetic reasons, meander and wander like so many deer in the wild).  As such, I am really made to be at peace by the fact that so many of our major public figures are calling for prayer as is their calling as true Christian shepherds.  God bless you all, and god bless the United States of America!  

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, a lot of those problems stem from privacy laws and liability. I think entities are rightly concerned about that. The only functional way to allow the necessary reporting is through uniform federal action/legislation so that everyone is operating from a common framework. 

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Totally agree it’s very difficult but the lack of any effort through the end of April is still eye opening.  We are seeing more concrete plans now - some privacy will have to be relinquished and we all agree that’s a fucking powderkeg with the politics of the day...

well, that or the alleged laws protecting such.

My group is in NY.  We are in 28 states.  I’m licensed in 20+.  Cat is out of the bag. I’m not talking about now.  I’m taking about thousands missed in March and April.  In NYC alone.  

What you can and do put on a death certificate are two different things.  Medical directors are paid 2-8k a month by nursing homes.   CMS said a long time ago they’re putting C19 cases and deaths on a public site.  Why would any doc in their building put a questionable death as C19?

You dont understand. It's on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One expert said that “a lot of patients who don’t have drug use or alcohol problems are drinking more now, sometimes every day from 4 or 5 p.m., and they don’t stop until they sleep.”

I feel attacked. Shockedpikachu.gif

18 minutes ago, Iceman said:

well, that or the alleged laws protecting such.

Yep - there’s a trade off and some are already willing to make that trade and others aren’t there yet.  100 years from now with what we know about how virus’s spread your rights to that type of privacy will be toast.  Agree the country isn’t ready now - let’s see how much pain like this we get before people agree to give up some privacy for the greater good.  There’s books full of laws that are no longer around.  
If you have a fever of 103 degrees and still want to fly you’ll be tracked and likely prevented from traveling.  Your privacy rights, as defined today, will be violated.  

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just put a LoJack on SA's mom and any cell phone within a certain radius gets tagged?

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep - there’s a trade off and some are already willing to make that trade and others aren’t there yet.  100 years from now with what we know about how virus’s spread your rights to that type of privacy will be toast.  Agree the country isn’t ready now - let’s see how much pain like this we get before people agree to give up some privacy for the greater good.  There’s books full of laws that are no longer around.  
If you have a fever of 103 degrees and still want to fly you’ll be tracked and likely prevented from traveling.  Your privacy rights, as defined today, will be violated.  

or you can listen to some Foreigner(no CR)

• Haha 1

For reference, Hawaii still having to arrest dumbass tourists for ignoring the laws and warnings.  It’s like people don’t understand how islands work and how quickly things could spread.  
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/05/08/coronavirus-hawaii-arresting-tourist-who-break-quarantine-rules/3098049001/

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away