CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Surely you can't blame people for misinterpreting what you meant by this:

Its not at all ambiguous. Dahobbs easily understood my point (even if he partially disagrees). Perhaps he can explain to you?

My offer still stands. 

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Its not at all ambiguous. Dahobbs easily understood my point (even if he partially disagrees). Perhaps he can explain to you?

My offer still stands. 

Wut? No he didn't. Not until you explained yourself more clearly later. Here's what he responded to your initial "masking is a charade" post:

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Ugh, cloth masks still help reduce transmission. But they are substantially less effective than n95 masks. No one expected cloth masks to be 100% effective. We just wanted society to layer protections (e.g., social distancing, masks) so that the overall effect would be to significantly slow the spread of a novel virus. Y'all are fucking ridiculous in having this victory dance over being right that masks are worthless. Seriously, fucking children. Stupid children. 

Just like me, he assumed that you were saying that masks below N95 are useless. No need to be condescending. You wrote a poorly worded post. It happens to all of us.

This is ridiculous.

I haven't seen specific studies to back this up, so call it a hypothesis, but I suspect there is a difference between the effectiveness of cloth/filter masks with omicron and pre-omicron variants.  The effectiveness of cloth/filter masks against alpha & (delta?) was clearly shown early on in studies.  I suspect they may be less effective against omicron simply by virtue of the fact that omicron sheds in higher amounts and it takes less load to become infected.  One of our docs can correct me on this, but if true, then the criticism of certain masks pre-omicron because of less than optimal protection now seems disingenuous.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Wut? No he didn't. Not until you explained yourself more clearly later. Here's what he responded to your initial "masking is a charade" post:

Just like me, he assumed that you were saying that masks below N95 are useless. No need to be condescending. You wrote a poorly worded post. It happens to all of us.

* The endless cyclic spike in infections across all US states, and all nation-states, regardless of “goodness” of covid controls, hinted strongly at the impossibility of Zero Covid

* The sheer obviousness of compliance by the US populace (=non-uniform) guaranteed the impossibility of Zero Covid

* Both of those, compounded with the aforementioned reasons for silliness of the mask mandate, made it a glaringly bad public policy

There are people who are going to colon cleanse with bleach and take delicing medication for protection against Covid. Darwin awaits them. 

And if you take your personal precautions (distancing, masking, vaxxing), short of coughing on your McFrys, theres nothing those people can do to you.

The condescension I saw most was against anyone who dares to budge from the official prescription. 

10 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Or he just sees the data? Why does this have to be polling related? It looks like a reasonable take based upon existing data. I swear, some of you think that because someone supported mask mandates in May of 2020 or even November of 2021, that the person has to support them forever. It's just odd. 

Here’s the NYT explicitly stating these sudden changes in blue states are largely politically driven. 

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

* The endless cyclic spike in infections across all US states, and all nation-states, regardless of “goodness” of covid controls, hinted strongly at the impossibility of Zero Covid

* The sheer obviousness of compliance by the US populace (=non-uniform) guaranteed the impossibility of Zero Covid

* Both of those, compounded with the aforementioned reasons for silliness of the mask mandate, made it a glaringly bad public policy

There are people who are going to colon cleanse with bleach and take delicing medication for protection against Covid. Darwin awaits them. 

And if you take your personal precautions (distancing, masking, vaxxing), short of coughing on your McFrys, theres nothing those people can do to you.

The condescension I saw most was against anyone who dares to budge from the official prescription. 

i think this would make more sense if only stupid and careless people were getting sick and dying.  plenty of them are, but on the front end it was a problem for everyone.

the obviousness to me comes when you realize that this was political in no time flat.  which in turn meant that the desantises of the world were out to prove something, which made the boulder that much heavier for everyone else.

the minority is dragging the majority down, example #12 zillion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is ridiculous.

I haven't seen specific studies to back this up, so call it a hypothesis, but I suspect there is a difference between the effectiveness of cloth/filter masks with omicron and pre-omicron variants.  

This.  And same for the vax.   Once it became clear Omicron was contagious as fuck, I didn't need to see a study to know (i) showing my vax card at a jam packed Monteleone carousel bar in New Orleans the weekend for Christmas didn't move the needle from a transmission risk perspective and I was assuming a risk and (ii) that attending a sold out musical in Dallas with "mask required at all times" during peak Omicron also didn't move the needle and I was assuming a risk.

I would have felt different in each of those circumstances, and felt much more protected, had the timing been Pre-Delta.

51 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Here’s the NYT explicitly stating these sudden changes in blue states are largely politically driven. 

And? So what? Politicians respond to public sentiment? More news at 11.

The truth is people are fed up with making sacrifices that help anti vaxer idiots like you and have had enough. We have a vaccine. One that works. If dumbasses don’t want it so be it. Let the chips fall.

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

And? So what? Politicians respond to public sentiment? More news at 11.

The truth is people are fed up with making sacrifices that help anti vaxer idiots like you and have had enough. We have a vaccine. One that works. If dumbasses don’t want it so be it. Let the chips fall.

This is what we've been saying for a long time. I'm glad you've finally caught up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Masks are useful. If you like them, wear them.

Mask mandates are a charade, for a stupidly-high number of reasons, including the silliness between distinction of standing up vs sitting down, “eating” vs not eating, requirement for then outside, no real enforcement on masking quality and consistency of wear, etc. 

All pales to the *practical* fact that by and large, if you mask yourself, youve reaped 99% of the masking benefit….(which is now brand new science).  

And you need to lift a mountain to get full compliance from everyone else to get the remaining 1%.  The juice is not worth the screeching - which was absolutely a thing 

This logic applies to speed limits too. If you can’t get full compliance, what’s the point?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

This logic applies to speed limits too. If you can’t get full compliance, what’s the point?

funny, everyone agrees on the principle of keeping right unless passing, and people on the left lane can do whatever they want.

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

funny, everyone agrees on the principle of keeping right unless passing, and people on the left lane can do whatever they want.

Well, you know, except the laws and the cops. At least, I've never seen a speed limit that said "75 unless you're in the left lane, then no limit."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well, you know, except the laws and the cops.

Do you make citizens arrest or berate people driving faster than you on the left?

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

At least, I've never seen a speed limit that said "75 unless you're in the left lane, then no limit."

These exists whether you've seen them or not

Fact check: Will a speed limit on Germany's Autobahn be beneficial?

Edited by 52-80

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Wanna know how I know you've never driven on I-10 lol

Loads of oblivious asshats LOVE to cruise at or below the speed limit in the left lane and then speed up when you undertake them

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Do you make citizens arrest or berate people driving faster than you on the left?

Honest question: have you ever actually been personally "berated" or chastised for not wearing a mask over the past two years? Is it possible that you're grossly exaggerating how often it happens based on a few Karen videos? I'm a very sporadic mask wearing (pretty much only indoors when I know I'll be around strangers) living in California, and it's never happened to me or anyone I know.

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

These exists whether you've seen them or not

Fact check: Will a speed limit on Germany's Autobahn be beneficial?

I have no idea what that sign means. Is that in the Untied States? I'm not aware of any place in the United States with no speed limits. And that seems to be confirmed by a simple google search.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/22/no-speed-limits-nevada-montana-last-states-full-freedom/2947782002/

As to your first question, I have no idea what point you are making. I haven't berated or called for the citizen's arrest of someone not wearing a mask. I don't know anyone that has or that has been accosted by someone else for not wearing a mask. I also don't know of anyone making a citizen's arrest of someone else for speeding. But I do know that laws against speeding exist and are enforced even though perfect compliance is impossible. 

And I do know of plenty examples of people being yelled at by crazies for actually wearing masks. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

and seat belts. if they make you feel safer, sure, wear them. but what other people do shouldn’t be your concern. there will always be idiots who don’t know what’s best.

a lot of new science says it’s more dangerous to wear one in an accident. 

58 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Fuck anti vaxers and anyone who has helped prolong this shit. Found out this morning that yet another show i had tickets to April is now canceled. I've been doing my part and being good. I'd like to go to a fucking show, but the "muh freedoms" assholes won't allow it

This is the kind of  vitriol I just don't understand.  What exactly do the "muh freedoms" assholes have to do with a show being cancelled in April? 

First of all, no idea why any show would be cancelled in April considering absent a new variant it should probably be the 'safest' time to do anything in the last 2 years.   But assuming it was for some reason decided per the recent Omicron wave, I'll never understand how people continue to think that if vax rate was higher Omicron wouldn't have happened.    Do you see what's going on in South Korea right now?   The vax for the original strain just doesn't move the needle on Omicron transmission.  Period.  End of Story.    If it makes you feel better to blame the anti-vaxers, go for it, but the Omicron wave was inevitable.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Skipper said:

This is the kind of  vitriol I just don't understand.  What exactly do the "muh freedoms" assholes have to do with a show being cancelled in April? 

First of all, no idea why any show would be cancelled in April considering absent a new variant it should probably be the 'safest' time to do anything in the last 2 years.   But assuming it was for some reason decided per the recent Omicron wave, I'll never understand how people continue to think that if vax rate was higher Omicron wouldn't have happened.    Do you see what's going on in South Korea right now?   The vax for the original strain just doesn't move the needle on Omicron transmission.  Period.  End of Story.    If it makes you feel better to blame the anti-vaxers, go for it, but the Omicron wave was inevitable.

Omicron may have happened. But we wouldn't have 1,000 to 2,000 a day dying from it. It would have been "like the flu" and not a huge deal comparatively. South Korea's total 7,000 deaths would be equivalent to 45,000 US deaths. So yeah, I'd say they did some shit right. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Omicron may have happened. But we wouldn't have 1,000 to 2,000 a day dying from it. It would have been "like the flu" and not a huge deal comparatively. South Korea's total 7,000 deaths would be equivalent to 45,000 US deaths. So yeah, I'd say they did some shit right. 

If you want to talk about hospitalizations or deaths, sure, that's a discussion.   But he's talking about a concert being cancelled in April and blaming that on the anti-vaxers.  

I mean would you agree there is really zero basis for cancelling a concert because of Covid in April based on everything we know at this moment? 

It kind of made me think that I've seen this take from several posters.  Essentially that if everyone would get vaxed, the Covid shit impacting their daily lives (in this case a concert cancellation) would be over.   The only thing I can think of is that people making what I think are ridiculous policy decisions (such as cancelling concerts in April) honestly think the exact same way they do.  That because of those fucking anti-vaxers we can't have nice things.

On the contrary, by the end of this month, Omicron will have "naturally vaccinated" 50% of the US population.  Layer that on top of existing vax immunity and natural immunity and we're in good shape.  The percentage of Americans with no vax or natural immunity will be very small.

And guess what, if a new variant comes along that evades Omicron, it's hard to imagine a scenario where somehow people vaccinated via the 2 year old strain are somehow going to fare better than those with some combo of Delta/Omicron immunity.   

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Skipper said:

you ever been to a show? do you know what a tour is? bands are trying to come in from other countries but they either cannot get out of their country or into ours. the tour was supposed to start later this month and go for a few months. it's not just predicting what will happen in April, these are real-world restrictions right now. if the vast majority of people had done the fucking bare minimum - which they couldn't even bring themselves to do - then we would be having a very different conversation right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If you want to talk about hospitalizations or deaths, sure, that's a discussion.   But he's talking about a concert being cancelled in April and blaming that on the anti-vaxers.  

It's weird that you say this like there is no connection between hospitalizations, deaths, and decision by public and/or private actors to cancel events. 

I mean would you agree there is really zero basis for cancelling a concert because of Covid in April based on everything we know at this moment?  

No. I wouldn't agree with that. I don't why the concert got cancelled, where it is being held, where the band is from, or really anything else about it. There may be numerous covid-related reasons why the concert got cancelled. 

It kind of made me think that I've seen this take from several posters.  Essentially that if everyone would get vaxed, the Covid shit impacting their daily lives (in this case a concert cancellation) would be over.   The only thing I can think of is that people making what I think are ridiculous policy decisions (such as cancelling concerts in April) honestly think the exact same way they do.  That because of those fucking anti-vaxers we can't have nice things.

Eyeroll. No one is canceling concerts to punish anti-vaxxers.

On the contrary, by the end of this month, Omicron will have "naturally vaccinated" 50% of the US population.  Layer that on top of existing vax immunity and natural immunity and we're in good shape.  The percentage of Americans with no vax or natural immunity will be very small.

And guess what, if a new variant comes along that evades Omicron, it's hard to imagine a scenario where somehow people vaccinated via the 2 year old strain are somehow going to fare better than those with some combo of Delta/Omicron immunity.   

Nearly 3,000 people died yesterday in the United States in association with Covid-19. I'm not going to assume that April is going to be better until we stop seeing those death totals. People have been saying this exact same thing since the fucking pandemic started. But yeah, a million deaths over two years and we are in great fucking shape. Go us!

I'm going to keep posting the excess death chart and reminding everyone that we are seeing multiple 911 events every week until that shit sinks in:

image.thumb.png.cbeeb0801d5a81aff43ae62a0b31330e.png

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If every other non-critical, high-density entertainment events are still on, like the Superb Owl, is a cancellation of a concert a sound decision whose blame is on antivaxxers

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Nearly 3,000 people died yesterday in the United States in association with Covid-19. I'm not going to assume that April is going to be better until we stop seeing those death totals.

How exactly can you not make a reasonable assumption based on everything we know about this pandemic that deaths in April will be DRAMATICALLY lower than yesterday.  JFC.   That's just dishonest advocacy for a position.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

How exactly can you not make a reasonable assumption based on everything we know about this pandemic that deaths in April will be DRAMATICALLY lower than yesterday.  JFC.   That's just dishonest advocacy for a position.

Because we've had almost the exact same conversations in the spring of 2021.  And then there was Delta.  And then Omicron.  Maybe deaths will be dramatically lower in April, but no one has any idea either way, or whether there will be new variants.  You'd think after wrongly declaring "Mission Accomplished" multiple times in the past, we might stop it.  But we're a nation of 2 year olds.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you ever been to a show? do you know what a tour is? bands are trying to come in from other countries but they either cannot get out of their country or into ours. the tour was supposed to start later this month and go for a few months. it's not just predicting what will happen in April, these are real-world restrictions right now. if the vast majority of people had done the fucking bare minimum - which they couldn't even bring themselves to do - then we would be having a very different conversation right now.

Sounds like you're mad at government restrictions rather than antivaxxers.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Whether or not bands can get out of their country has absolutely nothing to do with the "anti-vaxers" in the US.   I strongly disagree "anti-vaxers" impacted anything in the COVID wave other than in some instances killing themselves and causing a strain on our hospital system that was probably worse (but not multiples worse) than a bad flu year (which is also a real thing).   Would we have been better off hospitalizations and deaths with a higher vax rate?  Absolutely.  I'm not debating that.

But given the absolute COVID hysteria in this country (which is evident by continued masking, pediatric vax policies, etc.), the Omicron wave, which was absolutely inevitable regardless of vax rate, would have caused the same panic from the Covidian minority in the US.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Well, if you look at the US death chart (ffs) you'll see that the minima between peaks tends to happen between 1 and 2 months after a peak.  So, it's entirely possible, assuming we're near a peak now, that mortality will start climbing rapidly in late March.

Or maybe it won't.

It's hardly "dishonest advocacy".  It's called "hindsight" and being cautious.  But hey, you do you.  

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I can hope that it will be. And I suppose I could make a reasonable prediction that it will be. But I wouldn't set my confidence at anything significantly above 50%. And if I'm the person that is going to be responsible for a concert where thousands of people are going to congregate, I might not be willing to rely on that assumption/prediction. Again, folks have been claiming from the very beginning that this thing is just going to peter out any day now. I think I'm justified in being skeptical of anyone who has a high degree of confidence in that conclusion at this point. What I'd want to see is a very solid downward trend before I'm going to put a high confidence value on that prediction. 

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Whether or not bands can get out of their country has absolutely nothing to do with the "anti-vaxers" in the US.   I strongly disagree "anti-vaxers" impacted anything in the COVID wave other than in some instances killing themselves and causing a strain on our hospital system that was probably worse (but not multiples worse) than a bad flu year (which is also a real thing).   

OK, that's just fucking nuts.  Assuming a 6 month flu season and 60,000 deaths, that's 333 per day on average.  We're at 10X that number right now.  Would the worst case daily flu mortality numbers be higher than that average?  Of course.  Do you think they'd be 5X higher, which would still put it at 50% (a 2X "multiple") than where we are now?

Why you go so far out of your way to minimize this shit?  It is almost as bad RIGHT NOW as it has been any time in the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Whether or not bands can get out of their country has absolutely nothing to do with the "anti-vaxers" in the US.   I strongly disagree "anti-vaxers" impacted anything in the COVID wave other than in some instances killing themselves and causing a strain on our hospital system that was probably worse (but not multiples worse) than a bad flu year (which is also a real thing).   Would we have been better off hospitalizations and deaths with a higher vax rate?  Absolutely.  I'm not debating that.

But given the absolute COVID hysteria in this country (which is evident by continued masking, pediatric vax policies, etc.), the Omicron wave, which was absolutely inevitable regardless of vax rate, would have caused the same panic from the Covidian minority in the US.

i never said the US. covidiots across the globe have prolonged this shit. and yes, part of it was the home country's rules and part of it was US restrictions (surprise! not all bands are from the same country!)

• Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Remember when we pointed and laughed at the people who bitched about not being able to get a haircut, or go to the Applebee’s? And their whining.  I remember. 

are you trying to equate this to my concert bitching? because they're not even close to the fucking same. one was because people didn't want to mask up and then later on they didn't want to vax. I have done both with extreme consistency and yet I am still getting punished. yes I'm bitching. but it's not the same as some dumb cunt who demanded to get her Karen haircut while maskless and carrying the plague. apples:oranges

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Because we've had almost the exact same conversations in the spring of 2021.  And then there was Delta.  And then Omicron.  Maybe deaths will be dramatically lower in April, but no one has any idea either way, or whether there will be new variants.  You'd think after wrongly declaring "Mission Accomplished" multiple times in the past, we might stop it.  But we're a nation of 2 year olds.

In the spring of 2021, we were in early stage of vax rollout and had way less than 50% of natural/vax immunity.   Then pre-delta, we were at a slightly higher but still low vax+natural immunity.  Then post-delta (which for the east coast rolled directly into Omicron wave) we were at a slightly higher vax+ natural immunity rate with greater immunity escape but less severe disease.  Agreed on the above?

Now we just had the most contagious variant yet which will infect ~50% of the population by the end of the month.   That is layered on top of everything pre-Omicron.

So yes, it's a reasonable fucking assumption deaths will be lower in April based on what we know now.   I'll make a LARGE bet April deaths are lower than February deaths if anyone wants to take it.   

And guess what, if a new variant shows up in March that evades ALL of this immunity?  We're all fucked.  Including those that are vaxed and boosted or 4X boosted.  So the Covidians won't have anyone to scream at (except I'm sure they will all blame the variant mutation on the dirty unvaxed so I guess they will have that going for them).

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, that's just fucking nuts.  Assuming a 6 month flu season and 60,000 deaths, that's 333 per day on average.  We're at 10X that number right now.  Would the worst case daily flu mortality numbers be higher than that average?  Of course.  Do you think they'd be 5X higher, which would still put it at 50% (a 2X "multiple") than where we are now?

Why you go so far out of your way to minimize this shit?  It is almost as bad RIGHT NOW as it has been any time in the pandemic.

In Texas it hasn't been.  Largely because of the Delta wave which was worse.  I should have qualified that I'm really only looking at Texas numbers/speaking to Texas docs.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I have done both with extreme consistency and yet I am still getting punished.

Lol. Welcome to “society”.  Same reason I have to pay for fucking junkies and can’t get rights. Take the good with the bad and all that.  

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yes I'm bitching. but it's not the same as some dumb cunt who demanded to get her Karen haircut while maskless and carrying the plague.

Yeah. Sounds completely different.