Casting - Hits and Misses

RollLeft

I think it was purposeful. You see her get treated shabbily and awkward, discarded, then Michael reappears and she’s like an old maid wearing a ridiculous dress. She’s in wtf mode the whole time. Gets shut out to end the movie.

In episode II she gets more scenes, finally’s had enough and put out a hit on Michael’s unborn son. She’s an outcast and once again gets the door shut in her face.

She’s fine. She did what she was supposed to and grew as a character.

Kay is supposed to be a New England Yankee, Keaton comes across as a New York sophisticate. I’m just not a fan of hers.

14 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm necro-bumping this thread, as this is the first time I've skimmed through it. But I read about this the other day (also a very old article) pertinent to your post. Here's the letter Anthony Hopkins wrote to Bryan Cranston regarding his Walter White performance:

Talk about high praise.  I have never watched an episode of BB. 

• Haha 1

Kay is supposed to be a New England Yankee, Keaton comes across as a New York sophisticate. I’m just not a fan of hers.

Sounds like book talk. Based on the dialogue and scenes in the movie, there was nothing to indicate much about her background outside she was not Italian.

Nor did she appear in anyway to be a New York sophisticate. Was that when they she had dinner in the hotel room (after sex)? Or when she was naive enough to ask him about his business and accept his response? There really wasnt much there in the first GF.

In the GF II, she held a bigger role. She did fine in that. As an audience, you might have sided with Michael against her (as you’re apt to do with him as antihero), but then you see how turning on his own family hollowed him out.

16 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm necro-bumping this thread, as this is the first time I've skimmed through it. But I read about this the other day (also a very old article) pertinent to your post. Here's the letter Anthony Hopkins wrote to Bryan Cranston regarding his Walter White performance:

That's extremely cool.  I'd print that, frame it, and place it on the mantle with all my Emmys if I were Cranston.  

On 6/29/2021 at 10:25 AM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Has Cage done anything good since Raising Arizona? Maybe the post-broke money runs have jaded me.

Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, 8mm, The Family Man (cheesy, but I thought he did well in that movie), and I think his quirky ass works well in the National Treasure films.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, 8mm, The Family Man (cheesy, but I thought he did well in that movie), and I think his quirky ass works well in the National Treasure films.  

Also, Lord of War, Joe, Pig, and Matchstick Men off the top of my head.  Depending on how you feel about his 90s action stuff, I personally love The Rock.  He puts out a lot of shit but he can turn it on if he wants to.  I think he just likes making direct to video stuff for reasons beyond money.  His new movie is really fun as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Willem Dafoe as John Clark.
Never understood that one at all.

He’s a very unique actor - the way he talks, looks and acts. He’s a great actor. Was a great choice for the movie, where he was playing an independent CIA operative.

Harrison Ford was the one cashing checks in that movie.

Epic fail..... especially when you weigh his wimpy presence playing a Union General against the strong personalities of Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington.

noxSquare.jpg

What if I told you it was written that way? He was supposed to be a young sheltered New Englander that was leading for the first time. Who had a lot to prove and whose death prompted one of the best finales to a movie ever.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

What if I told you it was written that way? He was supposed to be a young sheltered New Englander that was leading for the first time. Who had a lot to prove and whose death prompted one of the best finales to a movie ever.

I understand that. But I still didn't buy Matthew Broderick playing that role for a second. JMO

38 minutes ago, pokeNbeans said:

Epic fail..... especially when you weigh his wimpy presence playing a Union General against the strong personalities of Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington.

noxSquare.jpg

Your opinion sucks and you should feel bad.  That was perfect casting for reasons EskimoHorn stated.  

"He ain't never been to no West Point and the onliest reason he Colonel is cause his daddy arranged it fo him, ain't that right"

Not buying, like some of his men didn't buy it....is supposed to be part of the deal.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 12:34 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I am a fan of Diane Keaton, and I agree with you about The Godfather. Her deliveries are the only clanging notes in the movie. She's just barely serviceable in the role. She's a good actress, so I don't know why she couldn't find the groove on this character. It could be direction or just a casting error from the start.

Keaton is one of those women who stuck in my mind from the first time I saw her. She was in a deodorant commercial where she's dressed in a track suit with a paper number and everything on the street of a busy city. The point was something about how she could run around without getting sweaty, I think. I just fell in love with the beauty and quirk.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Your opinion sucks and you should feel bad.  That was perfect casting for reasons EskimoHorn stated.  

"He ain't never been to no West Point and the onliest reason he Colonel is cause his daddy arranged it fo him, ain't that right"

Not buying, like some of his men didn't buy it....is supposed to be part of the deal.

Yeah, but he played Ferris Bueller just a couple years earlier. In 1989, whenever I saw Broderick on screen I didn't see Matthew Broderick, I saw Ferris Bueller. It was like watching Ferris Bueller cast in a heavy weight dramatic role, the superior officer to Denzel and Morgan Freeman and leading a tragic suicidal charge at the end of the movie.

If I saw it for the first time today I might feel differently, but back then it was laughable to me.

12 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

He’s a very unique actor - the way he talks, looks and acts. He’s a great actor. Was a great choice for the movie, where he was playing an independent CIA operative.

Harrison Ford was the one cashing checks in that movie.

I'm a big fan of Dafoe, but Clark was a big, powerful, intimidating guy.  Dafoe is tiny and anytime he's pulled off intimidation it was the result of his seeming psychotic.  There wasn't anything wrong with his acting, he's just not the guy Clancy created for the novels.

I'm a big fan of Dafoe, but Clark was a big, powerful, intimidating guy.  Dafoe is tiny and anytime he's pulled off intimidation it was the result of his seeming psychotic.  There wasn't anything wrong with his acting, he's just not the guy Clancy created for the novels.

You mean from the books he was described as all that. Not miscast per the screenplay. Nothing in the movie referenced any of that. The movie benefitted from Dafoe being in it, as do most of his movies. It was miscast from your imaginings. This is pretend on film, not in a book.

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

You mean from the books he was described as all that. Not miscast per the screenplay. Nothing in the movie referenced any of that. The movie benefitted from Dafoe being in it, as do most of his movies. It was miscast from your imaginings. This is pretend on film, not in a book.

LOL thank you for that explanation.

Sometimes I do get confused about whether I'm watching "pretend on film" or you know, reading a book.

I'm happy for you that enjoyed Dafoe in that role.  I did not, because he's not consistent with the source material upon which his character was based.

You need to get past the notion that there's a right or wrong answer on any of this.  It's just preference.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this truly qualifies as a "miss" since I love Almost Famous and Billy Crudup is damn fine as Russell Hammond, but per IMDB he wasn't the first choice.

Cameron Crowe wrote the part with Brad Pitt in mind, and Pitt worked with Crowe in pre-production for awhile before they mutually decided that someone else would be a better fit. So Crudup won the part over...Christian Bale.

I can't get out of my mind what Bale would have done with that part.

31 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I don't know if this truly qualifies as a "miss" since I love Almost Famous and Billy Crudup is damn fine as Russell Hammond, but per IMDB he wasn't the first choice.

Cameron Crowe wrote the part with Brad Pitt in mind, and Pitt worked with Crowe in pre-production for awhile before they mutually decided that someone else would be a better fit. So Crudup won the part over...Christian Bale.

I can't get out of my mind what Bale would have done with that part.

Hm. Bale seems too serious. 

On 8/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, pokeNbeans said:

Yeah, but he played Ferris Bueller just a couple years earlier. In 1989, whenever I saw Broderick on screen I didn't see Matthew Broderick, I saw Ferris Bueller.

At least you admitted that your problem with Matthew Broderick’s casting in Glory was due to your own personal bias. Kudos for that, I guess. There was nothing Ferris Bueller-like in his performance but that’s who you saw. Fine. That’s your problem. I thought it was a great movie and he was great in that role. I never saw Ferris once. 

• 1 month later...