Casting - Hits and Misses

RollLeft

Hit:  Nostromo whole crew...acted like real people with a real job and real chemistry.  image.thumb.jpeg.a40d5a01f38e7b807b557e23adb2cbe4.jpeg

Miss:  Compare it to the crew in this pile of shit movie

image.jpeg.720eafa729dcdc7910d8551e606d176d.jpeg

Hit:  Goes without saying, but these were two of the best...also Lester, Avon, Bubbles, Levy, Slim Charles, etc

image.thumb.jpeg.b5750c5e847754e4081325686550cb24.jpeg

Rare Miss in my opinion...just didn’t feel right to me, but others may argue 

image.jpeg.d2a5a47f3542fa3a3e9afb67f8416c27.jpeg

Hit:

image.png.690fb06731b2b62e9b551a4b6d726bdf.png

Awful miss...all her lines as Nicky felt forced

image.thumb.png.34610fd59f889551974c4fa5d736e294.png

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Wat.

I thought Damon was awesome as Jason Bourne.

But then I never read the books. How was he mis-cast? Was this like a Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher type thing?

it just changes the character a little.  he is described as oddly featureless in the books. it helps him to be anonymous and forgettable.  i don't know how you do that in a movie and what that would mean in the real world, but it sounds cool in a book.  so they just don't really deal with that in the movie.

still though, hit.  those are exciting movies and i think Damon does a good job of showing the regret he has.  

11 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

it just changes the character a little.  he is described as oddly featureless in the books. it helps him to be anonymous and forgettable.  i don't know how you do that in a movie and what that would mean in the real world, but it sounds cool in a book.  so they just don't really deal with that in the movie.

still though, hit.  those are exciting movies and i think Damon does a good job of showing the regret he has.  

Matt Damon has always felt like ‘anonymous, emotionless dude’ to me outside of some the earliest stuff such as Good Will Hunting.  Like ‘We Bought A Zoo’ and even in ‘The Departed’, something about his acting or features just comes across to me as...a bit empty.  Obviously he’s an excellent actor and I enjoy his movies, it’s just a ‘me thing’.  

Therefore I thought he was perfect to play Bourne.  For the original trilogy he needs to be somewhat of a robot that operates on instinct, in a cold and calculated way...it’s always stood out to me that Bourne only runs when necessary, applying action and violence when it’s critical but otherwise attempting to blend in when able.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

miss, hit.  

I actually didn’t really think Bacon was bad, but he just sort of stuck out a little from the rest of the cast like he didn’t really fit in.  I googled afterward and evidently he was a last second replacement for Michael Keaton, which would have been pretty excellent.  Evidently Keaton got into an argument with Clint Eastwood and left the set. 

On 4/28/2021 at 6:00 AM, Homercles said:

Matt Damon has always felt like ‘anonymous, emotionless dude’ to me outside of some the earliest stuff such as Good Will Hunting.  Like ‘We Bought A Zoo’ and even in ‘The Departed’, something about his acting or features just comes across to me as...a bit empty.  Obviously he’s an excellent actor and I enjoy his movies, it’s just a ‘me thing’.  

Therefore I thought he was perfect to play Bourne.  For the original trilogy he needs to be somewhat of a robot that operates on instinct, in a cold and calculated way...it’s always stood out to me that Bourne only runs when necessary, applying action and violence when it’s critical but otherwise attempting to blend in when able.  

In the novel, Bourne was called "The Chameleon" for his ability to fade into a crowd and become "anonymous", or change his posture, walk, jawline, mannerisms, etc to not be recognized.

He could also read people and situations on the fly in order to insinuate himself into somebody's confidence, or blackmail them, or whatever.

The first movie made a decent attempt to show these characteristics, but the later movies basically turned him into an action hero. Which is why the first bourne movie was far and above the best.

I also like this scene, where he opens the drawer and sees normal stuff, passport, Paris ID, credit cards, a veneer of a normal life. Then he picks up the top shelf and beneath that veneer is a gun, lots of cash in different currencies, and 10 different passports each with a different identity.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

In the novel, Bourne was called "The Chameleon" for his ability to fade into a crowd and become "anonymous", or change his posture, walk, jawline, mannerisms, etc to not be recognized.

He could also read people and situations on the fly in order to insinuate himself into somebody's confidence, or blackmail them, or whatever.

The first movie made a decent attempt to show these characteristics, but the later movies basically turned him into an action hero. Which is why the first bourne movie was far and above the best.

I also like this scene, where he opens the drawer and sees normal stuff, passport, Paris ID, credit cards, a veneer of a normal life. Then he picks up the top shelf and beneath that veneer is a gun, lots of cash in different currencies, and 10 different passports each with a different identity.

Do you take care of this car?

Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter movies was a miss-- too cartoony and over-the-top even for a cartoony kid's book character
Glory is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I kind of go back and forth on Matthew Broderick as Robert Gould Shaw. He's sharing the screen with Cary Elwes, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and Andre Braugher-- he kind of gets chewed up and spit out by those guys, even though I sentimentally love his performance. 

HBC was excellent as Lestrange and as Hermoine playing Lestrange. And smiling as she killed poor Dobbie.

Broderick was cast perfectly as a sheltered rich kid suddenly in command as a Colonel. Who then redeems himself.

edbf0ec9-6dc3-4025-95c4-4d145ff2fabf?fit=crop&h=1267&w=1900&s=dd258d514351465527923ab2370d770cfb7d05af
in 80% of his movies.  hes not an action star.  hes an old sad looking dude. 
even when hes purposely cast as an old sad looking action star, he aint

He’s now typecast, but totally made Taken work. Part of the old sad dude being underrated schtick.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:03 PM, HouTex said:

Worst:
John Wayne as the Roman sentry in one of the Bible films. His one line was something like, “Clearly, this man was the son of God” in his famous western movie accent.

Bruce Dern as Tom Buchanan. He was tall and lanky. Not even close to being “hulking” as Daisy described him.

Not even the worst John Wayne casting?  Didn't he play Genghis Khan?

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

nsiap

I thought both Duval and Jones could've switched roles and done an admirable job in Lonesome Dove.

Keanu Reeves should've been the lead in Malibu's Most Wanted.

Yeah.  I read Streets of Laredo the other day which is a sequel about Woodrow Call.  I pictured a Duvall-like character the whole time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

nsiap

I thought both Duval and Jones could've switched roles and done an admirable job in Lonesome Dove.

Keanu Reeves should've been the lead in Malibu's Most Wanted.

I think Duval could have done a fine job with Call. I have a difficult time picturing Jones as Gus, though. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...

The Fifth Element was loaded with casting hits and plesant surprises.  Milla Jovovich, Chris Tucker, Gary Oldman, Tiny (RIP) Lister, shit - all up and down the line, the blue multiarmed diva, Ian Holm, and  Brion Helm.  It was as if a 1976 issue of Heavy Metal came to life.  Guess Luc Besson had a lot to do with that.  A cool story which didn't (quite) get lost in its CGI and special effects but used them to enhance the end product.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m not sure, because I was mostly lost, but John David Washington seemed out of his element in Tenet. For much of the movie, he was wooden.

He didnt impress me much in Blackklansman either but as a comedic actor, he’s decent. So he had his moments and Spike Lee helped him. Thought he was mostly good in Ballers.

Not sure he’d be getting gigs if he weren’t from the Denzel Washington’s.

15 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I don't know what that Pine movie is, but I agree he looks miscast at least.  I see a prettyboy Hollywood type cosplaying as a Texan.  It doesn't feel genuine like Brolin.  The bottom pic might as well be Colin Farrell.

It’s Hell or Highwater and it’s a pretty fucking great movie. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Three O’ClocK High would probably have been more successful with better casting. I’m not going to take the time to look up the cast on IMDb then search out photos and post them. But the protagonist was one of Biff Tannen’s posse from Back to the Future and his love interest was a friend of Ferris Bueller’s sister. Good story, underrated movie, but it could’ve been better. B-rated 80’s movie that could’ve been A-rated with better casting, imo. 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

Charlie Sheen as Chris in Platoon could have been better cast. I don't know by whom in retrospect, but Stone clearly had a thing for the guy back then. 

I thought Sheen worked.  At the time he was still seen as a fresh-faced clean-cut All-American kid, and that's what was needed for that character.  I'd say the same for Wall Street a year later.  Those films were before he started taking lesser quality roles and became a cokehead.

I still think the last scene in Platoon when Sheen is airlifted out of the combat zone is excellent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2