Dr. Anthony Fauci Appreciation Thread

Texas St. Armadillos

On 9/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, Anastasis said:

One of the more interesting things from this release is the fact that some of the research was farmed out to a lower level lab at the Wuhan university, which throws some of the epi geolocation exercises previously used to bolster the market centric theory out the door.

The most curious aspect of this release for those capable of paying attention is why the fuck is it taking FOIA releases to make this info public.   

I think you know the answer to your question as do most of us who have been paying attention.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, Anastasis said:

One of the more interesting things from this release is the fact that some of the research was farmed out to a lower level lab at the Wuhan university, which throws some of the epi geolocation exercises previously used to bolster the market centric theory out the door.

The most curious aspect of this release for those capable of paying attention is why the fuck is it taking FOIA releases to make this info public.   

fauci knew exactly what was going on.  he's a career bureaucrat for 40+ years, he knows how a coverup works.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

fauci knew exactly what was going on.  he's a career bureaucrat for 40+ years, he knows how a coverup works.

I wouldn't frame it in that way precisely.  Largely because it will make some people here wet their pants involuntarily, but not necessarily because it is not true.  Nobody wants to have to clean up that mess.

They were off shoring this shit and running it through sub-grants for a reason.  You are sticking your head in the sand if you think that the very smart career folks didn't know why it was set up that way and, at an absolute minimum, have an understanding of what was taking place and the risks of the setting it up that way.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is my shocked face.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/10/21/nih-ecohealth-alliance-coronavirus/

NIH has demanded that the research organization EcoHealth Alliance turn over any unpublished data from an experiment conducted at the Wuhan Institute of Virology that showed that laboratory mice became unexpectedly sicker with one of the naturally circulating strains of bat coronavirus. According to NIH, this was a significant experimental finding, and EcoHealth did not promptly report it as required by the grant.

But NIH director Francis S. Collins is simultaneously pushing back against critics of his agency and people who he believes are spreading misinformation about the experiment in Wuhan to score political points. He said the experiment — which used mice modified with human ACE2 receptors that allow viruses to infect cells — could not possibly have had been linked to the emergence of the pandemic coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2. The bat coronaviruses under scrutiny in that experiment are not closely related, genetically, to the novel coronavirus that has spread across the planet.

Here's the thing that may be deceptive about that.  It appears that the impropriety was the experimentation, ab initio.  That should not have been happening.  That there was an significant result not reported seems secondary.  I suppose perhaps the latter may have revealed the former to an extent not previously understood, so maybe that's the significance.

And, "gain of function" is not a term used in the context of government grants because whatever meaning it has or had has been supplanted by PPP, potential pandemic pathogens in the P3CO regulatory framework.  It shouldn't surprise anyone that NIH functionaries don't use that term, regardless of the political significance it has attained.  https://www.phe.gov/s3/dualuse/Documents/p3co.pdf

One of the more interesting aspects of the Intercept article is the researcher who comments not on "gain of function" being the danger, but of laboratory bites infecting a lab worker, leading to a "lab leak."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I wouldn't frame it in that way precisely.  Largely because it will make some people here wet their pants involuntarily, but not necessarily because it is not true.  Nobody wants to have to clean up that mess.

They were off shoring this shit and running it through sub-grants for a reason.  You are sticking your head in the sand if you think that the very smart career folks didn't know why it was set up that way and, at an absolute minimum, have an understanding of what was taking place and the risks of the setting it up that way.  

fair enough.  i'm gonna stick with fauci knew exactly what was going on.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's the thing that may be deceptive about that.  It appears that the impropriety was the experimentation, ab initio.  That should not have been happening. 

This sounds bad.  I don't know legal Latin, but it sounds bad.  Is it bad?

Holy shit, just got around to this part of the WaPo piece...

“Those virus genomes were as far away from SARS-CoV-2 as a cow is from a human,” Collins said in an interview with The Washington Post.

Comparing mammalian genetic overlap to viral overlap is just totally dishonest framing. This an amazing level of dishonesty and spin. 

ETA: In the letter the contrast is to a chimp.  They can't even get their mammal talking points right consistently. Clowns. 

Edited by Anastasis

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

How much spray paint have you huffed this evening?

Do you see a problem with anything here, or just going to deflect?

I've yet to see evidence, not opinion, evidence refuting anything he said. But you've been trying to blame Faucci for something for a while. I'm sure we will keep chasing this windmill. 

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Care to take a guess as to why they were off-shoring it?  We can't even deal with homeless people, let along a biolab in Westlake Hills.  NIMBY syndrome.  Plus China is where the virus are.  Well, possibly Lubbock too, but...

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

NIMBY is right.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/medical-advances/578086-bipartisan-legislators-demand-answers-from-fauci

"Our investigators show that Fauci’s NIH division shipped part of a $375,800 grant to a lab in Tunisia to drug beagles and lock their heads in mesh cages filled with hungry sand flies so that the insects could eat them alive," White Coat Waste said.

I mean, can you imagine all the barking.  What an annoyance. 

Wait, they figured that out.

Allegedly, 44 beagle puppies were used in a North Africa laboratory, and some of the dogs had their vocal cords removed so scientists could work without incessant barking.

ca._wcw_beagles.jpg?width=1600

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, Anastasis said:

“Those virus genomes were as far away from SARS-CoV-2 as a cow is from a human,” Collins said in an interview with The Washington Post.

Comparing mammalian genetic overlap to viral overlap is just totally dishonest framing. This an amazing level of dishonesty and spin. 

ETA: In the letter the contrast is to a chimp.  They can't even get their mammal talking points right consistently. Clowns. 

This is because viral genomes are less complex than mammalian?  So that mid-90% similarity actually reflects meaningful similarity?

Also, I find it interesting that Tabak is a dentist (and a Ph.D,, presumably in a relevant field).  And some other Ph.D. quoted for some quackery is a veterinarian.  I suppose it really is the Ph.D. that's the relevant qualification over MD, or DVM, or DDS, or DPM, or DO or whatever.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, Anastasis said:

jerkoff gif.

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is because viral genomes are less complex than mammalian?  So that mid-90% similarity actually reflects meaningful similarity?

Also, I find it interesting that Tabak is a dentist (and a Ph.D,, presumably in a relevant field).  And some other Ph.D. quoted for some quackery is a veterinarian.  I suppose it really is the Ph.D. that's the relevant qualification over MD, or DVM, or DDS, or DPM, or DO or whatever.

Less complexity sure, but the also vast differences in the mutation rates for DNA based organisms and the different proofreading mechanisms. For example, DNA viruses have orders of magnitude lower mutation rate than RNA viruses.  The mutation rate in mammals many many many orders of magnitude even lower. RNA viruses have an extremely high mutation rates, and are subject to recombination through mechanisms such as copy-choice errors.  Which is likely what introduced some of the more significant features such as the furin cleavage site into the SARS-CoV-2 genome. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Less complexity sure, but the also vast differences in the mutation rates for DNA based organisms and the different proofreading mechanisms. For example, DNA viruses have orders of magnitude lower mutation rate than RNA viruses.  The mutation rate in mammals many many many orders of magnitude even lower. RNA viruses have an extremely high mutation rates, and are subject to recombination through mechanisms such as copy-choice errors.  Which is likely what introduced some of the more significant features such as the furin cleavage site into the SARS-CoV-2 genome. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

You and @Sawbonz corrected me earlier on the mixing of vaccines and my contention it was...hell, stronger? wider ranging? 

I get the ideas of drift and shift, but it's rudimentary. I could stand some tutorials.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Which is likely what introduced some of the more significant features such as the furin cleavage site into the SARS-CoV-2 genome. 

I toured western Europe in a wind ensemble right out of high school.  I met a gal in Austria, and she had some glorious furin cleavage sites, if you get my drift, and I'm pretty sure you do.

Lulz. Science has been using mice, monkeys, rabbits, dogs, and cats as test subjects since before Fauci's grandma had that twinkle in her eye.  Connecting Fauci to some instance somewhere in the world is exactly the kind of right-wing misinformation we have come to know and love.  WhY dId FaUcI hUrT sPoT, dAdDy?1??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

ConSeRvAtIVe tAlKiNg PoIntS...

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/10/nih-admits-funding-risky-virus-research-in-wuhan

On Wednesday, the NIH sent a letter to members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce that acknowledged two facts. One was that EcoHealth Alliance, a New York City–based nonprofit that partners with far-flung laboratories to research and prevent the outbreak of emerging diseases, did indeed enhance a bat coronavirus to become potentially more infectious to humans, which the NIH letter described as an “unexpected result” of the research it funded that was carried out in partnership with the Wuhan Institute of Virology. The second was that EcoHealth Alliance violated the terms of its grant conditions stipulating that it had to report if its research increased the viral growth of a pathogen by tenfold.

The NIH based these disclosures on a research progress report that EcoHealth Alliance sent to the agency in August, roughly two years after it was supposed to. An NIH spokesperson told Vanity Fair that Dr. Fauci was “entirely truthful in his statements to Congress,” and that he did not have the progress report that detailed the controversial research at the time he testified in July. But EcoHealth Alliance appeared to contradict that claim, and said in a statement: “These data were reported as soon as we were made aware, in our year four report in April 2018.”

But the NIH letter—coming after months of congressional demands for more information—seemed to underscore that America’s premier science institute has been less than forthcoming about risky research it has funded and failed to properly monitor. Instead of helping to lead a search for COVID-19’s origins, with the pandemic now firmly in its 19th month, the NIH has circled the wagons, defending its grant system and scientific judgment against a rising tide of questions. “It’s just another chapter in a sad tale of inadequate oversight, disregard for risk, and insensitivity to the importance of transparency,” said Stanford microbiologist Dr. David Relman. “Given all of the sensitivity about this work, it’s difficult to understand why NIH and EcoHealth have still not explained a number of irregularities with the reporting on this grant.”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

Lulz. Science has been using mice, monkeys, rabbits, dogs, and cats as test subjects since before Fauci's grandma had that twinkle in her eye.  Connecting Fauci to some instance somewhere in the world is exactly the kind of right-wing misinformation we have come to know and love.  WhY dId FaUcI hUrT sPoT, dAdDy?1??

Has anybody looked into where fauci was the day Kennedy was assassinated? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like it should be pretty easy to determine who is lying -- compare the Year 4 report from 4/18 to the report sent in August.  It might take a FOIA request, but there's too much "he said, she said" going on to trust that both sides are being honest, particularly when they are contradicting each other.

The end goal should be reform in terms of what our government funds, how it oversees research activity, and how it enforces reporting requirements.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

I was wondering what it was going to take to get some of you sociopaths back in this thread.  Apparently reflexive compulsion to deflect from cutting out the vocal cords of dogs, drugging them, and letting flies eat them alive was just the ticket.  Welcome back you sick fucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Seems like it should be pretty easy to determine who is lying -- compare the Year 4 report from 4/18 to the report sent in August.  It might take a FOIA request, but there's too much "he said, she said" going on to trust that both sides are being honest, particularly when they are contradicting each other.

Jimmy, do you think that Fauci was not aware that WIV was skirting the lines and conducting this type of dangerous research?  Do you think that he had any inkling that maybe EcoHealth was being less than fully compliant?  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

At the end of the day, Fauci is just another bureaucrat.  We have to address the systemic issues.  Probably via legislative means.  Which means it will never happen.  

Not as long as the Americans keep voting these jackass corn dogs to Congress.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok. Huddle up, gang.

We need more robust regulatory oversight and a paring back of the privatization of national security government functions. 

Next step is convincing Rand Paul this was his idea. 

Also, we're going to need a unicorn and hope Trump isn't re-elected in which case all this is all moot. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Jimmy, do you think that Fauci was not aware that WIV was skirting the lines and conducting this type of dangerous research?  Do you think that he had any inkling that maybe EcoHealth was being less than fully compliant?  

That's hard for me to say.  As I recall, he testified that the research as funded was not GoF.  That could have been wordsmithing around the possibility that he knew they stepped over the line.  That said, if in fact the information crossed his desk in August, that would seem to indicate he believed what he was saying.