Dr. Anthony Fauci Appreciation Thread

Texas St. Armadillos

On 7/16/2021 at 9:26 AM, BabaYaga said:

Predictable you say?  Yeah, I'd say that about sums it up.  Blatantly obvious signs now almost universally accepted were summarily dismissed during a certain administration.  Blocked from social media.  Users banned.  The entire notion was dismissed as conspiracy nonsense.  As stated above, 4 out of the last 5 outbreaks.  Lab leaks....

Oh, but now?  Administration changes and suddenly everyone's so open minded.  Yeah, no partisan histrionics or fuckery at all.  No.  That would never happen.  Fucking laughable. 

And Fauci?  We know he played a part in funding the research.  We know his buddy Daszak covered it up.  It's not that you or the MSM don't know.  You just don't care. 

Y’all’s stupid ass obsession with fauci just shows your total stupidity and convinces nobody, I mean nobody,  but your fellow morons.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Never had an opinion about Dr. Fauci, probably never even knew who he was.  Then he disagreed with the dumbest fucking moron ever to occupy the White House and suddenly he’s the enemy. It’s really quite remarkable. 

That’s really all it is. He contradicted dear leader and his idiotic takes and the cult don’t like that.

Morons. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:50 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Then he disagreed with the dumbest fucking moron ever to occupy the White House and suddenly he’s the enemy. It’s really quite remarkable. 

It's both telling and painfully ironic that you think this is the case.  Even now, when we know that he knew about the Wuhan research.  Again, it's not that you don't know.  You just don't care.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

when we know that he knew about the Wuhan research

And what is that?  Show your work, and stick to objective facts.

Given that just about everything you have cited on this thread is a "Trump good, Fauci bad" source, your protestations that Fauci is actually bad ring a bit hollow.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And what is that?  Show your work, and stick to objective facts.

Given that just about everything you have cited on this thread is a "Trump good, Fauci bad" source, your protestations that Fauci is actually bad ring a bit hollow.

You mean besides direct funding?  That's not in dispute.  Or moving the lab TO Wuhan?  So being involved in moving AND funding the lab?  Besides that?  Or sending in his crony to immediately discredit and cover up the lab leak theory?  The same theory that just this week his is still vehemently trying to discredit despite the current Administration now begrudgingly saying is very much a possibility.  Again, none is this is in dispute.  

You mean besides direct funding?  That's not in dispute.  Or moving the lab TO Wuhan?  So being involved in moving AND funding the lab?  Besides that?  Or sending in his crony to immediately discredit and cover up the lab leak theory?  The same theory that just this week his is still vehemently trying to discredit despite the current Administration now begrudgingly saying is very much a possibility.  Again, none is this is in dispute.  

None of this is in dispute, just take my word for it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Show. Your. Work.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tigol said:

Show. Your. Work.

Oh Jesus.  read back over this thread.  The NIH grant money came from Fauci.  He, more than almost anyone else has the most to lose being the apparent stalwart of the pandemic response and communication.  The lab leak theory specifically implicates him.  He was the one that went around existing US policy at the time (2017).  It was him that greenlit dollars to the EcoHealth alliance that then gave it to the Wuhan lab.  The same lab (Ex.  Sky News in Australia) that they had monkeys in the lab that previously they lied about, or that they were apparently begging early on for help developing safety procedures as the two cables in 2018 validated, or admitted on the record (Wuhan lab) that they had no experience in BSL4 laboratories - the highest level of security.  This who we send funding dollars to for GOF research.

The lab leak theory, while far from being proven of disproven, is gaining more and more and more traction as being both plausible and probable.  Even the current administration even came out saying as much.  So with that acceptance, then we look at who funded it...

Oh Jesus.  read back over this thread.  The NIH grant money came from Fauci.  He, more than almost anyone else has the most to lose being the apparent stalwart of the pandemic response and communication.  The lab leak theory specifically implicates him.  He was the one that went around existing US policy at the time (2017).  It was him that greenlit dollars to the EcoHealth alliance that then gave it to the Wuhan lab.  The same lab (Ex.  Sky News in Australia) that they had monkeys in the lab that previously they lied about, or that they were apparently begging early on for help developing safety procedures as the two cables in 2018 validated, or admitted on the record (Wuhan lab) that they had no experience in BSL4 laboratories - the highest level of security.  This who we send funding dollars to for GOF research.
The lab leak theory, while far from being proven of disproven, is gaining more and more and more traction as being both plausible and probable.  Even the current administration even came out saying as much.  So with that acceptance, then we look at who funded it...

None of this is in dispute, just take my word for it.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

45D9C442-B781-460F-B26E-D32646F6378E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Funny how soon as Trump got out of office, our benevolent social media overlords and MSM now talk openly about the growing mountain of circumstantial evidence for the lab leak theory, when less than a year ago - it would get you banned for "misinformation" and labeled a racist.  

When they have Jon Stewart piling on, you know it's a matter of time.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Funny how soon as Trump got out of office, our benevolent social media overlords and MSM now talk openly about the growing mountain of circumstantial evidence for the lab leak theory, when less than a year ago - it would get you banned for "misinformation" and labeled a racist.  

When they have Jon Stewart piling on, you know it's a matter of time.

I didn't pay any attention to any of that, or, really, the "lab leak/natural origin" debate.  It was a sideshow, fiddling while Rome burns.  Also, I recognized that diplomacy and statecraft dictated a) that we not dwell on the Chinese origins of the virus and b) probably not sling allegations about malfeasance, at the time.

The only reason we are able to have this debate currently is because the virus is more or less under control.

My bias is that I am a science person.  I tend to defer to science people over fucking politicians 99 times out of 100.  Even when the science type is, himself, a politician of sorts.

That goes double when the politician in question is a bona fide stupid motherfucker who is trying any goddamn thing to distract people from the virus and his absolute inability to lead anyone in anything except in finding new people or things to hate.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Reuters doesn’t back up your claims as you lay them out, @BabaYaga

”The biological laboratory in Wuhan was funded by Dr. Fauci”

Misleading. Anthony Fauci has been Director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) since 1984 (here:~:text=Anthony%20S.,of%20Allergy%20and%20Infectious%20Diseases). The NIAID is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the US health department (here).

The NIH confirmed to Reuters by email that it granted $3.4million to the non-profit organisation EcoHealth Alliance Inc over 6 years to fund research into understanding bat coronavirus emergence. The non-profit then awarded that money to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, alongside East China Normal University (Shanghai), the Institute of Pathogen Biology (Beijing), and Duke-NUS Medical School (Singapore).

US government websites show that the Wuhan institute received $814,608 between 2015 and 2019 (here switch from “Prime Awards” to “Sub-Awards” in the upper right corner). A spokesperson added that the grant to EcoHealth Alliance was terminated on April 24, 2020 and reinstated on July 8, 2020.

A decision by the Trump administration to cut EcoHealth Alliance funding was reported by Politico in April after obtaining emails between EcoHealth Alliance and the NIH (here).

The NIH website shows that the reinstated budget will run until June 2021 (here), but EcoHealth Alliance wrote in August that the NIH had imposed “impossible and irrelevant conditions that will effectively block us from continuing this critical work”.

It is not just the US government that funds the Wuhan institute: the European Union stated on Jan. 26, 2021 that it had awarded grants to the laboratory since 2015. It added that the institute: “delivered the first SARS-Cov2 genome sequence, which enabled partners of the European Virus Archive to design the widely used polymerase chain reaction ( PCR) diagnostic test for COVID-19” (here).

The lab got some of its funding from the US. As did other labs.  And, funding also came from other countries. 

It isn’t that I think it improbable ‘rona was released from the Wuhan lab, it is that blaming Fauci for that possibility is not supported by what I’ve read.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I didn't pay any attention to any of that, or, really, the "lab leak/natural origin" debate. 

I am a science person. 

This makes zero goddamn sense of any kind.  A "science" person would want first and foremost to know how the hell a global pandemic started.  That's literally the first step in any pandemic.  

Further, a "science" person should be enraged that Daszak and his cronies who are friends and colleagues of the Wuhan scientists carried out a sham "investigation" reviewing zero samples, research, or anything tangible of any kind before releasing a paper summarily dismissing the very thought of a lab leak.  Then privately thanking Fauci for carrying water for him and deflecting away from taxpayer funded GOF research being carried out there. 

A "science" person would want to know the justification for moving a lab to a foreign country that had never before managed a BSL4 level lab, or why cables in 2018 about egregious safety protocols were ignored, especially when we know 4 out of the last 5 pandemics came from lab leaks.  Or why we were funding it in the first place when there are much, much safer and more secure places stateside?

A "science" person would want to know Fauci's justification for immediately dismissing anything related to the lab - as the emails indicate as far back as Jan '20 that the virus “looked…engineered” and seemed to be “inconsistent with evolutionary theory.”

8 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

It isn’t that I think it improbable ‘rona was released from the Wuhan lab, it is that blaming Fauci for that possibility is not supported by what I’ve read.

Fauci controls virtually all of the NIH grant money to the tune of hundreds of millions/year.  No other single person has as much influence on how these monies are spent.  Full stop.  This has been fleshed out already on this thread.  Nobody is blaming him directly - but rather this false notion that he had zero idea what was going on in the lab when he was one of the main architects in it's moving from the state's to Wuhan in the first place.  Zero chance he had no idea what was going on.  Zero.  

He even admitted to "modest" NIH funding, but adamantly denied any GOF research being done by quibbling over the textbook definitions of this type of research.  It was something to the tune of $600K+

Lol I don't know why yall waste your time with babyaga. The most fantastical "I feared for my life" has always justified a cop's murderous actions to him, so of course he's going to blindly accept whatever tinfoil Fauci bullshit he read on gab/parler and heard on fox or deep-right youtube.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

This makes zero goddamn sense of any kind.  A "science" person would want first and foremost to know how the hell a global pandemic started.  That's literally the first step in any pandemic.  

Further, a "science" person should be enraged that Daszak and his cronies who are friends and colleagues of the Wuhan scientists carried out a sham "investigation" reviewing zero samples, research, or anything tangible of any kind before releasing a paper summarily dismissing the very thought of a lab leak.  Then privately thanking Fauci for carrying water for him and deflecting away from taxpayer funded GOF research being carried out there. 

A "science" person would want to know the justification for moving a lab to a foreign country that had never before managed a BSL4 level lab, or why cables in 2018 about egregious safety protocols were ignored, especially when we know 4 out of the last 5 pandemics came from lab leaks.  Or why we were funding it in the first place when there are much, much safer and more secure places stateside?

A "science" person would want to know Fauci's justification for immediately dismissing anything related to the lab - as the emails indicate as far back as Jan '20 that the virus “looked…engineered” and seemed to be “inconsistent with evolutionary theory.”

Well, you aren't a science person.

A science person in the midst of a pandemic would first be concerned with controlling it.  The origin is useful only if it bears on controlling it.  We are a good ways toward controlling it, without knowing its precise origin.

A science person wouldn't assume facts as you do.

Science people aren't terribly concerned with assessing blame on other scientists.

I have said repeatedly that the whole situation, not limited in any way shape or form to Fauci, is worthy of investigation.  Once the dust settles.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Well, you aren't a science person.
A science person in the midst of a pandemic would first be concerned with controlling it.  The origin is useful only if it bears on controlling it.  We are a good ways toward controlling it, without knowing its precise origin.
A science person wouldn't assume facts as you do.
Science people aren't terribly concerned with assessing blame on other scientists.
I have said repeatedly that the whole situation, not limited in any way shape or form to Fauci, is worthy of investigation.  Once the dust settles.

Wrong wrong libtard. That's why ER Doctors focus first on the origin of the gunshot wound, prosecute the perpetrator fully, identify the caliber of the bullet used etc- then you can go about stabilizing the patient and stopping blood loss.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What fresh hell is this?

The fresh hell where we fund off shore research conducted at lower biosecurity protocol levels than would be required if that same research was conducted in the United States.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The fresh hell where we fund off shore research conducted at lower biosecurity protocol levels than would be required if that same research was conducted in the United States.

That's not what you said.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Remind me what I said?

Oh sorry.  I thought you were BY.

Twice now he has said that Fauci was somehow connected to the decision to build or attempt BSL4 capability at Wuhan, or something to that effect.  "move the lab to Wuhan" was one statement.

• Haha 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Oh sorry.  I thought you were BY.

Twice now he has said that Fauci was somehow connected to the decision to build or attempt BSL4 capability at Wuhan, or something to that effect.  "move the lab to Wuhan" was one statement.

He approves the relevant funding. He knew what was in play when we starting funding the off shoring more and more of this stuff.  But as I have stated earlier, Fauci isn't the issue.  Any bureaucrat in the position would have done similar.  And shit, if you really want get past the superficial, look at how much of the EcoHealth funding was DOD (which is exempt from restrictions on HHS). Fauci is a distraction imo.  

An interest article from MIT Technology Review.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/06/29/1027290/gain-of-function-risky-bat-virus-engineering-links-america-to-wuhan/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tigol said:

Show. Your. Work.

You see they did show their work. Just know that every post from this user is going to be exactly the same. I stand by my assertion that BabaYaga either posts on abovetopsecret.com or reads it on a daily basis. The conspiracy angle that emanates from their posts are exactly what you will find on that site. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

When a hurricane is bearing down on a population center and threatening a mass casualty event, literally the first thing a meteorologist asks is "HOW DO HURRICANES HAPPEN?"

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the miniscule $ involved should shelve the discussion entirely.  I worked on smaller grants with me, a grad student and a machinist.

Well, you would think.  But Noooooo!  It must be nefarious!  It's the only answer.

I understand that it is a waste of time to respond.  I just can't let that shit go.

Was it a lab leak?  They are investigating and that investigation is ongoing.  Will finding out right now cure COVID?  No.  The hotwash occurs after the event.

Here is some new data that came out today worth discussing.  Science is evolving and new shit has come to light.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/07/19/1016005828/new-data-leads-to-rethinking-once-more-where-the-pandemic-actually-began

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

You see they did show their work. Just know that every post from this user is going to be exactly the same. I stand by my assertion that BabaYaga either posts on abovetopsecret.com or reads it on a daily basis. The conspiracy angle that emanates from their posts are exactly what you will find on that site. 

It's everywhere.  It's really astonishing.  If you want to locate alt-right conspiracy sites, just google Fauci and Wuhan or gain-of-function.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the miniscule $ involved should shelve the discussion entirely.  I worked on smaller grants with me, a grad student and a machinist.

Curiously, after reading a lot about it, the NIH doles out a lot of pretty small grants.  Lots of five and low-six figure stuff.  Sometimes, that's year-on-year for a considerable period.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Just because you type the words does not make them true.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

A science person in the midst of a pandemic would first be concerned with controlling it.  The origin is useful only if it bears on controlling it. 

Jesus tap dancing Christ - do you not think early on, as the emails clearly indicated, that dozens of scientist who emphatically claimed that the virus was clearly modified should have been entertained?  Entertained and pressed on multiple fronts NIAH, Fauci, the Wuhan lab, and lastly China on this very credible theory early on in the pandemic could have mobilized much more robust national responses?  

Instead, this entire line of thought was covered up and dismissed as conspiracy theory as it directly implicated the GOF research Fauci and others directly funded

He orchestrated the move to Wuhan.  He funded in part the research.  He sent his cronies in to cover up any leak talk and you want to say with a straight face he knew nothing of what was being done in the lab?

14 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

When a hurricane is bearing down on a population center and threatening a mass casualty event, literally the first thing a meteorologist asks is "HOW DO HURRICANES HAPPEN?"

Congratulations on quite possibly the most stupid analogy in the history of Surly.  

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yep.  Even in the US, there was a leak at Ft Detrich.  These leaks happen ALL THE TIME.  Was it you that cleared up that 4 out of the last 5 pandemics were from leaks?

To circumvent earlier white house research shut downs and instead fund research (2017) in a country that had never before worked with a RSL4 level biolab, ignore cables of woefully inadequate safety controls as the 2018 cables verified, and then dismiss all feedback from peers on the nature of the virus being engendered from GOF research......is criminal.   

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's everywhere.  It's really astonishing.  If you want to locate alt-right conspiracy sites, just google Fauci and Wuhan or gain-of-function.

It's telling that you earlier in the thread begrudgingly admitted the virus "more than likely" came from a lab.  Again, it's not that you don't know.  It's that you don't care.  Funny how last year such an admission was heresy and conspiracy of the highest order.  

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Jesus tap dancing Christ - do you not think early on, as the emails clearly indicated, that dozens of scientist who emphatically claimed that the virus was clearly modified should have been entertained?  Entertained and pressed on multiple fronts NIAH, Fauci, the Wuhan lab, and lastly China on this very credible theory early on in the pandemic could have mobilized much more robust national responses?  

Instead, this entire line of thought was covered up and dismissed as conspiracy theory as it directly implicated the GOF research Fauci and others directly funded

He orchestrated the move to Wuhan.  He funded in part the research.  He sent his cronies in to cover up any leak talk and you want to say with a straight face he knew nothing of what was being done in the lab?

I think the response to early raising of the issue was pretty appropriate.  KInd of "nah."  It would have been a useless sideshow to pursue this in great detail in Spring 2020, in no small part because we're probably never going to get answers from the Chinese.

No one gave a shit about any of this until lickspittle Rand Paul made a big deal out of it for his own self-aggrandizement.  

And what is this "he orchestrated the move to Wuhan." The move of what?

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Even in the US, there was a leak at Ft Detrich.  These leaks happen ALL THE TIME.  Was it you that cleared up that 4 out of the last 5 pandemics were from leaks?

SARS infection clusters, specifically. Frenchies went off and lost a bunch of vials of viral samples as well. These sorts of lab facility protocol break downs happen all the fucking time and it's not just the chicoms. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/05/frances-institut-pasteur-under-fire-over-missing-sars-vials

But Pasteur is struggling with a public relations fiasco after the discovery, made earlier this year, that it can't account for 2349 vials containing samples from the SARS outbreak in 2003. An independent panel has concluded that the risk for public health is zero, and Pasteur has suspended research in only one of its 18 biosafety level 3 facilities, Bréchot says. But the issue has led to three investigations and has raised questions in the media about the institute's safety procedures.

Today, the website Mediapart published fragments from a leaked letter written by two French Cabinet ministers who listed a series of apparent problems at the lab. "High likelihood of [sample] destruction not ordered by managers and without traceability, two-month delay in reporting the information to responsible authorities, lists of authorized persons not initially available, freezers not secured, absence of video surveillance, archives not available during weekend," wrote research and education minister Benoît Hamon and Marisol Touraine, minister of social affairs, in a letter that Mediapart says was addressed to two government inspectors charged with investigating the issue.

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

To circumvent earlier white house research shut downs and instead fund research (2017) in a country that had never before worked with a RSL4 level biolab, ignore cables of woefully inadequate safety controls as the 2018 cables verified, and then dismiss all feedback from peers on the nature of the virus being engendered from GOF research......is criminal.  

Forget Fauci and NIH. Bigger picture, we should not be sending tax payer dollars abroad to conduct high risk research in facilities where we do not have full and effective oversight. This is just basic common sense. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's telling that you earlier in the thread begrudgingly admitted the virus "more than likely" came from a lab.  Again, it's not that you don't know.  It's that you don't care.  Funny how last year such an admission was heresy and conspiracy of the highest order.  

I don't accept anything those sites try to tell me as truth.  Find me a reputable source like MIT Technology Review, and I might start to pay attention.