Dr. Anthony Fauci Appreciation Thread

Texas St. Armadillos

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And tell us why there were no masks.....

Because Trump refused to invoke the Defense Production Act to order a ton of masks, because he wanted to pretend that covid was no big deal. You absolute moron.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I usually think sheeeit is full of sheeeit, but on this broad point, this is EXACTLY the kind of post-mortem we should be doing.  Wherever the impetus came from -- or the course-correction FAILED to come from -- not taking drastic action to protect the elderly, as opposed to putting them in what amounted to be disease incubators, was a systemic failure.  We should learn how that happened, so we don't make a similar mistake next time.

Because there WILL be a next time.

I think much of the other discussion of the Fauci emails and whatnot is just more idiotic political bullshit, but looking at the actual public health decisions made is a relevant exercise.

A whole lot of this.  Shit, it STARTS from some sort of premise that this is a "leak," of information that Fauci wouldn't have wanted to get out.  Ummm.....they were released, voluntarily, in response to a FOIA request.  You know, the way it's supposed to work.  

And as for the emails that are supposedly scandalous, the vast majority of them are FROM other people TO Fauci -- he has no control over what someone else says, nor do those statements contain his actions or opinions.  One of you can send me a DM that Immamac is a shape-shifting alien who is using his position of power to anally violate you, but the fact that such a DM is in my in-box does not reflect that I agree in any way with that ridiculous statement (I mean....I DO agree, but that's based on separate evidence not found in that particular DM).  As for the various emails reflecting that he's "worried" about X, or "wonders" about Y.....that's fucking exactly what I would expect from a public health expert in an unfolding pandemic of a novel disease.  Shit, I can find posts with the exact same language from the same timeframe on this board, wondering many of the same things.

From what I can tell, the "story" on Fauci's emails is a tale, told by idiots, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

If the story was what the emails ACTUALLY show -- what information we did and didn't know at various times, and what decisions we did and didn't make at various times, that would be both relevant and interesting to a good-faith post-mortem.  But nobody's interested in good-faith ANYTHING, so we just get idiotic soundbites and shit.

He does make the valid point that seemingly no one in position of authority, which includes Fauci, openly criticized the nursing home policy, that was mostly a northeast US thing, it seems.

Why that happened is a valid area of inquiry.  Perhaps it's just a case of 20/20 hindsight bias.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He does make the valid point that seemingly no one in position of authority, which includes Fauci, openly criticized the nursing home policy, that was mostly a northeast US thing, it seems.

Why that happened is a valid area of inquiry.  Perhaps it's just a case of 20/20 hindsight bias.

Yeah, I do wonder how that policy ever came about. It was clearly a bad idea. I mostly think it was a very unfortunate resource allocation decision (hospital beds) made in the fog of war. But someone should have been screaming up and down that confirmed Covid cases needed to be removed from nursing homes, not sent back to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Because we had a sudden increase in demand and limited supply? We knew we needed more PPE, hell, we needed more PPE for just our doctors. It isn't Fauci's fault that the Federal Government helmed by Trump was completely incapable of the leadership necessary to organize the private sector and state governments for production of PPE, including masks. But, to be fair to Trump, I'm not sure there is a ton that could have been done that early on to increase our supply of masks as I'm pretty confident the stuff we normally got would have come from China. 

Or.......when the demand spiked, with needed masks available, China nationalized the US factories and held the masks hostage, with the narrative of the lab leak being squashed as the ransom.  Nor was it just for the US, but a number of other companies.  In Australia, for example when they started barking about a lab leak, China halted all beef imports.  A massive sector of the Aussie economy.

This isn't to say this proves anything about a lab leak.  If it is a natural event, they'd want that angle and that angle only......but let's not pretend that this was solely a domestic breakdown.  

Nationalization of n-95 mask factories

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It’s certainly a valid point of inquiry, and one that a pandemic team might have been able to devise a solution to. Where do you release nursing home patients to after they’ve been hospitalized?  The street?  Or back to where they came from?  A hospital ship that wasn’t there yet?  Their family?  Wtf?  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No that was pretty much on every daily feed  from CNN to NPR.  You boys, and your convenient memories.

He was praised for providing good guidance, guidance that was otherwise not being provided by the Federal Government. He looked great in comparison, but no one considered him a saint. None of this really matters because his emails don't make him look bad unless you horrible distort their meaning and take several flying leaps to reach crazy conclusions.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Or.......when the demand spiked, with needed masks available, China nationalized the US factories and held the masks hostage, with the narrative of the lab leak being squashed as the ransom.  Nor was it just for the US, but a number of other companies.  In Australia, for example when they started barking about a lab leak, China halted all beef imports.  A massive sector of the Aussie economy.

This isn't to say this proves anything about a lab leak.  If it is a natural event, they'd want that angle and that angle only......but let's not pretend that this was solely a domestic breakdown.  

Nationalization of n-95 mask factories

Ok? Assuming that is true, you admit that none of that is Fauci's fault, right? 

And doesn't that just say that China did exactly what we should have done, which is force our factories to produce the goods we needed? You don't really need a conspiracy involving squashing lab leak rumors to understand why China would want all those factories producing masks for itself rather than other countries. 

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It’s certainly a valid point of inquiry, and one that a pandemic team might have been able to devise a solution to. Where do you release nursing home patients to after they’ve been hospitalized?  The street?  Or back to where they came from?  A hospital ship that wasn’t there yet?  Their family?  Wtf?  

A highly contagious disease that was known early on to adversely impact the very old.  How about you isolate them and don't out them back in the general population.  We need a pandemic team to convene a plan such as that?

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Ok? Assuming that is true, you admit that none of that is Fauci's fault, right? 

And doesn't that just say that China did exactly what we should have done, which is force our factories to produce the goods we needed? You don't really need a conspiracy involving squashing lab leak rumors to understand why China would want all those factories producing masks for itself rather than other countries. 

Who said it was Faucci fault?  Nor were these for domestic use.  They released them once the lab leak story was squashed.  So they just sat on them until we played ball.  Us, and many other countries.  

Australia and their imports were another way to squeeze anyone that dared to run with the lab leak theory.  It was about applying pressure.  

Edited by BabaYaga

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A highly contagious disease that was known early on to adversely impact the very old.  How about you isolate them and don't out them back in the general population.  We need a pandemic team to convene a plan such as that?

Isolate them where?  Overrun hospitals?  Some magic place?  

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Anywhere.  Do what we did in Katrina and convert sports stadiums.  There are a myriad of options.  Do what the CDC does and set up infection isolation zones.  Set up isolation tents.  The point being discussion of isolation, a seemingly simple and obvious solution was never broached?

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah, I'm guessing the lamebrained thinking was that they need care somewhere, can't just send them home, so send them to a facility.  Of course, that ignores the potential to infect the entire facility full of vulnerable people.

But there weren't just a ton of good options.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Anywhere.  Do what we did in Katrina and convert sports stadiums.  There are a myriad of options.  Do what the CDC does and set up infection isolation zones.  Set up isolation tents.  The point being discussion of isolation, a seemingly simple and obvious solution was never broached?

Mind you I’m not defending Cuomo, I’m just saying there was no plan.  That’s on all of us, not Fauci.  Who apparently wadded your panties.

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Mind you I’m not defending Cuomo, I’m just saying there was no plan.  That’s on all of us, not Fauci.  Who apparently wadded your panties.

Faucci repeatedly lied to the public.  That bothers me.  We are also getting and more circumstantial evidence that he knew what happened at an early stage.  That needs to be investigated.  That is all. 

As for isolation plans, that's such a simplistic plan it boggles the mind that we're even discussing this.  Posters on this site were gnashing their teeth about the stupidity of it and getting slapped down left and right for daring to question such an obviously flawed plan.

As if other states didn't have elderly impacted in nursing homes?

37 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The master or revisonism.. He was being fucking canonized for sainthood.  Not even gonna debate that with you.  

You know why that is your perception?  In trying times, people want/need a leader.  We had none.  It's not Fauci's fault that less than half of Americans picked a incompetent shitbag to run things. 

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You know why that is your perception?  In trying times, people want/need a leader.  We had none.  It's not Fauci's fault that less than half of Americans picked a incompetent shitbag to run things. 

My perception was formed by hearing his praises being sung daily.  I don't need heroes to make it thru the day.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is Amazon just piling on the Dr. Fauci is no bueno band wagon removing his book ?  Seems kind of quick.

ok but you did get this from your radio program, right?

36 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The master or revisonism.. He was being fucking canonized for sainthood.  Not even gonna debate that with you.  

Can you elaborate some on your feelings around this? You seem big mad. What is it that makes you angry about him being widely lauded (and yes revered to an extent outsized to what he was actually doing - I'm sure there are some e-mails in the dump where he talks about that)? "Because he doesn't deserve it" doesn't seem sufficient - you're feverishly playing Dance Dance Revolution on your Jump to Conclusions mat trying to find the dirt that condemns Fauci... because people like him? Is the explanation that "while the president was talking about using sunlight and bleach to treat the disease internally, Fauci was a science guy with a calm bedside manner saying science things and seeming like leaders of yesterday so people fixated on him" not a reasonable explanation, and if it is a reasonable explanation, can you explain why you are mad at him specifically about it?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

My perception was formed by hearing his praises being sung daily.  I don't need heroes to make it thru the day.

OK, then what's the deal now?  Why the butthurt among so many?  If you're making it thru the day like I am, why the need to focus on him?  

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don’t know why you’re so worked up about the origins of the virus.  It was all a hoax. 

No it was a DEMOCRATIC hoax. Big difference.

Also I think Fauci should have told the Chinese to not be so sloppy with their Wuhan lab protocols. Apparently he forgot to do that and here we are. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I stated that medical professionals (and really the general public) knew about the risk to the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions by early March. Hell, we fucking discussed it on this board. You told me I was dishonest for stating an easily provable fact. Maybe you're the one with the selective or non-existent memory. 

Lot to unpack here.  Lets assume you are right and  most everyone, including the general public, knew about the risk to elderly people in early March.  So why haven't we arrested the governors that "knew the risk to the elderly in early march" that mandated that infected people be sent to elderly centers in late march and april?  Why didn't anyone/everyone in the medical community and especially Fauci who was advising the governors and talking to Cuomo daily not immediately come out and state publicly that sending infected people to nursing homes was the absolute worst place to send them?

And, to be very clear, you said Fauci was neutered by trump in march of 2020 when that was absolutely incorrect.

12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What exactly do you think Fauci should have done in March of 2020? Told the general public to hoard masks even though none were available? Why is this discussion only limited to that time and not April and May of 2020? Maybe because you're trying to concoct a very specific narrative that completely falls apart if any broader context is considered? 

What a load of crap.  I have never said anything about masks.  What I  think Fauci should have done in March of 2020 is to tell the governors not to send infected people to nursing homes because that would be the absolute worst place to send them and would result in massive deaths.  The reason this specific discussion is focused on early March is because the directives to mandate sending people to nursing homes came out in late march/early april.  That is the whole point you dolt.  If the knowledge existed to most everyone in early march then the mandate to send people in late march/early april was criminally bad.

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

His recommendations were ignored by Trump, who went so far as to publicly disagree with Fauci in proclaiming the end of the virus and advocating for treatments like hydroxychloroquine and bleach. 

Fauci testified, under oath, that his recommendations were followed by trump.  Here are quotes from his senate press conference on May 12, 2020:

Dr. Anthony Fauci: (03:16:58)
Yes, no, there is certainly not a confrontational relationship between me and the president. As I mentioned many times, I give advice and opinion based on evidence based scientific information. He hears that, he respects it. He gets opinions from a variety of other people, but in no way, in my experience over the last several months, has there been any confrontational relationship between us.

March 10- "said in response to a question about whether the administration was doing all it could to deal with the virus up to that point: “You know, I believe so.”

March 22- "

“The coordinated response has been…there are a number of adjectives to describe it — impressive, I think, is one of them. I mean, we’re talking about all hands on deck,” Fauci said.

“So I can’t imagine that under any circumstances that anybody could be doing more,” he added.

Sept 2020- For his part, Fauci also defended the president Wednesday, saying that at no time did he believe Trump was misinforming the public.

Look, I am not suggesting that at some point Trump and Fauci got crosswise.  I am not suggesting that trump didnt say a ton of stupid stuff.  I am saying that in march 2020 Fauci and trump were getting along fine and that fauci was not held back or nuetered or any such thing by trump.  You keep saying he was when Fauci himself says he wasnt.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/technology/coronavirus-fauci-trump-conspiracy-target.html

Actually, go ahead and look at the original Daily Texan thread from that time frame. You'll see plenty of people saying it was all overblown and that the scientists and media were fear mongering. I'm pretty sure you were among them. 

I cant open the nytimes link.  My quote was that everyone in the GOVT at the time was saying trust Fauci and trust the science.  You pointing out that some people on a random message board were saying something different is irrelevent and worthless in this discussion.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Don't debate then. Just provide a link of a Fauci supporter referring to him as a god. I'm open to the possibility I may have missed it being as the pandemic wore on I got more and more out of loop on Covid news. I've googled "fauci god" and "have people referred to fauci as a god?" and can only find people who are claiming that no, Fauci is NOT a god, but I can't find evidence of anyone claiming he IS the way some Trump supporters, especially early in his administration were LITERALLY referring to him as God Emperor.

I've been wrong before, will be wrong again in the future and this might be one of those times. So don't debate. Enlighten me and just send a link of someone unironically referring to Fauci as a god. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

And, to be very clear, you said Fauci was neutered by trump in march of 2020 when that was absolutely incorrect.

No, I didn't. I didn't specify a date at all. I said: "Or do you prefer to just scape goat the employee that was publicly neutered by his boss and who had to deal with a boss who wanted to ignore the whole fucking thing."

You're the one trying to limit this entire discussion to March of 2020, not me.

I agree the decisions on the nursing homes was wrong.  As I said above: " I mostly think it was a very unfortunate resource allocation decision (hospital beds) made in the fog of war. But someone should have been screaming up and down that confirmed Covid cases needed to be removed from nursing homes, not sent back to them."

If Dr. Fauci told the governors that covid+ nursing home residents should be sent back to the nursing homes, that was bad advice. I haven't seen any evidence at all that he said that. 

12 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Don't debate then. Just provide a link of a Fauci supporter referring to him as a god. I'm open to the possibility I may have missed it being as the pandemic wore on I got more and more out of loop on Covid news. I've googled "fauci god" and "have people referred to fauci as a god?" and can only find people who are claiming that no, Fauci is NOT a god, but I can't find evidence of anyone claiming he IS the way some Trump supporters, especially early in his administration were LITERALLY referring to him as God Emperor.

I've been wrong before, will be wrong again in the future and this might be one of those times. So don't debate. Enlighten me and just send a link of someone unironically referring to Fauci as a god. 

Posts 1-5

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yeah a little poetic license. You know what I meant, but go ahead, and play dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No, I didn't. I didn't specify a date at all. I said: "Or do you prefer to just scape goat the employee that was publicly neutered by his boss and who had to deal with a boss who wanted to ignore the whole fucking thing."

You're the one trying to limit this entire discussion to March of 2020, not me.

I agree the decisions on the nursing homes was wrong.  As I said above: " I mostly think it was a very unfortunate resource allocation decision (hospital beds) made in the fog of war. But someone should have been screaming up and down that confirmed Covid cases needed to be removed from nursing homes, not sent back to them."

If Dr. Fauci told the governors that covid+ nursing home residents should be sent back to the nursing homes, that was bad advice. I haven't seen any evidence at all that he said that. 

It took us a long time to get there.  

And, just a tip, when discussing a specific event and actions that occurred at a specific time, it is not really helpful to lob out accusations that you later admit were not present during the specific period you were discussing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

OK, then what's the deal now?  Why the butthurt among so many?  If you're making it thru the day like I am, why the need to focus on him?  

Focussing on him ?  I'm just making comments on a website along with you fine people.

26 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

ok but you did get this from your radio program, right?

Can you elaborate some on your feelings around this? You seem big mad. What is it that makes you angry about him being widely lauded (and yes revered to an extent outsized to what he was actually doing - I'm sure there are some e-mails in the dump where he talks about that)? "Because he doesn't deserve it" doesn't seem sufficient - you're feverishly playing Dance Dance Revolution on your Jump to Conclusions mat trying to find the dirt that condemns Fauci... because people like him? Is the explanation that "while the president was talking about using sunlight and bleach to treat the disease internally, Fauci was a science guy with a calm bedside manner saying science things and seeming like leaders of yesterday so people fixated on him" not a reasonable explanation, and if it is a reasonable explanation, can you explain why you are mad at him specifically about it?

Program ? You mean a news cast where the host got a fact wrong ?  Gosh that's like the first time in the history of journalism where that's happened. Grow up sparky.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Focussing on him ?  I'm just making comments on a website along with you fine people.

That's fine.  I guess I'm struggling to see what the point of this whole exercise is.   70 something year old man appointed by Reagan muddles his way through a pandemic, makes some mistakes, some might have even been avoidable an/or malicious.  He wasn't elected, isn't a political party figure.  What's the point?  Why the sudden outrage all over right-wing media?  

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Program ? You mean a news cast where the host got a fact wrong ?  Gosh that's like the first time in the history of journalism where that's happened. Grow up sparky.

what's the program? I assumed you had heard it on some talk AM thing but you're saying these were journalists on a newscast, so maybe we read you wrong

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That's fine.  I guess I'm struggling to see what the point of this whole exercise is.   70 something year old man appointed by Reagan muddles his way through a pandemic, makes some mistakes, some might have even been avoidable an/or malicious.  He wasn't elected, isn't a political party figure.  What's the point?  Why the sudden outrage all over right-wing media?  

He was presented as THE authority, his words were taken as gospel. If you disagreed with him you were debated, attacked, called anti science....  the list goes on.  

4 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

It took us a long time to get there.  

And, just a tip, when discussing a specific event and actions that occurred at a specific time, it is not really helpful to lob out accusations that you later admit were not present during the specific period you were discussing.  

I wasn't discussing a specific time period. That's all you. 

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He was presented as THE authority, his words were taken as gospel. If you disagreed with him you were debated, attacked, called anti science....  the list goes on.  

If your disagreement was that the virus wasn't that bad and wasn't really killing people, then yes, you were an anti-science twit. That's not because you were disagreeing with Fauci specifically, but because you were spouting unsupported bullshit. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

what's the program? I assumed you had heard it on some talk AM thing but you're saying these were journalists on a newscast, so maybe we read you wrong

1140 WRVA The morning show.  News, opinions, guest speakers, daily topics.  And our son is in the military I wouldn't consider him a hero until he does something heroic.

Circle jerk those wagons boys, y'all do that very well.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If your disagreement was that the virus wasn't that bad and wasn't really killing people, then yes, you were an anti-science twit. That's not because you were disagreeing with Fauci specifically, but because you were spouting unsupported bullshit. 

Look man, some things happened.  They made him uncomfortable, and angry and scared.  Snowflaky, if you will.  Now he needs someone to blame for feeling that way.  Because soldiering on through and shutting the fuck up isn't the American way, apparently.

He was praised for providing good guidance, guidance that was otherwise not being provided by the Federal Government. He looked great in comparison, but no one considered him a saint. None of this really matters because his emails don't make him look bad unless you horrible distort their meaning and take several flying leaps to reach crazy conclusions.  
Crazy conclusions!? Not in this day and age.

File:Comet_Ping_Pong_Pizzagate_2016_01.jpg

The next thing you're going to tell me is that people act in bad faith.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

so when he suggested that people shouldn't wear masks to protect themselves, which you've referenced repeatedly, was that something you disagreed with him about? Did you maintain that position when he also updated his guidance? Actually curious.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

1140 WRVA The morning show.  News, opinions, guest speakers, daily topics.  And our son is in the military I wouldn't consider him a hero until he does something heroic.

Circle jerk those wagons boys, y'all do that very well.

No need to be antagonistic - I was under the assumption that we were both being hyperbolic. But that's not a newscast, and what happened wasn't a journalist misreporting something - it was you listening to opinion talk from people who don't vet basic facts and then using that to frame your understanding of reality.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Just a tip: the only person in this conversation who has lied twice is you. You accused me of dishonesty for stating that we knew the virus was more dangerous to the elderly in March. You refused to apologize or acknowledge your mistake despite me being half a dozen links from that time period from a multitude of sources confirming what I said. And just now you again accused me of dishonesty for stating that Fauci was neutered by Trump in March of 2020 despite the fact that my post didn't say anything about March of 2020. It was a general statement regarding Trump's actions over the course of the pandemic and was 100% correct as written. 

Your inability to admit your multiple and obvious mistakes and apologize is pathetic. At least @Onboard 2.0 finally somewhat owned up to his mistake.