Dr. Anthony Fauci Appreciation Thread

Texas St. Armadillos

Also Onboard, you didn't really answer my question, but I think I'm starting to get a better sense of your feelings around Fauci. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.

So, Fauci is the doctor guy, and all of the people on the left seemed to venerate him and take his word as gospel. Further, they were seemingly at war with people who disagreed with Fauci. And now, we see that some of his early guidance was not correct, and.. some people have construed his e-mails to have content that indicates he was maybe not just wrong, but bad. And so, to you, you would like for the libs/etc to say "oh man we were wrong and the other people were right", or at least to eat some crow about how they (dare I say) smugly suggested that people who disregarded guidance from Fauci and his organization were very wrong and perhaps even bad.

Is that right? I can understand that sentiment, but I think you are still misinterpreting the context/what was really driving the attitude against anti-maskers (not a reverence for Fauci) and perhaps seeing things too myopically as an us vs them thing. And particularly in this thread, if I'm right about what you're wound up about, people aren't even understanding your point. Especially since most people have absolutely 0 cognitive dissonance around "Fauci said 'no mask' and then later said 'yes mask'". 

I don't watch or listen to this podcast, but I do remember seeing this clip (I'm pretty sure) around whenever it came out. I think there's a part where Bill Burr sums up how a lot of people were - it's not "SCIENCE MAN IS NEW GOD ABIDE THY COMMANDMENT", it's "Holy shit what is going on I don't understand but lets just do whatever the smart science guys are saying to do." And of course that evolved.

(edit - 5:30 for the part I was specifically remembering)

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

But no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge

No true Scotsman wears underwear either, but that doesn't make it a solid sanitary health decision, especially if he's sitting on my leather chairs.  And I say that as part Scotsman.  McWhirter/Buchanan clan.

31 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

So, Fauci is the doctor guy, and all of the people on the left seemed to venerate him and take his word as gospel. Further, they were seemingly at war with people who disagreed with Fauci. And now, we see that some of his early guidance was not correct, and.. some people have construed his e-mails to have content that indicates he was maybe not just wrong, but bad. And so, to you, you would like for the libs/etc to say "oh man we were wrong and the other people were right", or at least to eat some crow about how they (dare I say) smugly suggested that people who disregarded guidance from Fauci and his organization were very wrong and perhaps even bad.

It's not about eating crow.  It's about the need for a robust investigation into every facet of this pandemic, including Faucci and Daszak.  The point of the emails is that they are adding additional layers of circumstantial evidence that this investigation is imperative.

Just to name a few, we learned that he repeatedly ignored scientists who told him China was lying about the virus and the data and that he was well aware of a possible lab leak.  These need to be vigorously vetted.  Or do you disagree?

31 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

But no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge

The actual fallacy here is a false equivalence.

Being anointed as a "god," or "saint" =/ Being treated as a respected scientist. 

Fauci was treated like the latter, not the former. 

Just now, BabaYaga said:

It's not about eating crow.  It's about the need for a robust investigation into every facet of this pandemic, including Faucci and Daszak.  The point of the emails is that they are adding additional layers of circumstantial evidence that this investigation is imperative.

Just to name a few, we learned that he repeatedly ignored scientists who told him China was lying about the virus and the data and that he was well aware of a possible lab leak.  These need to be vigorously vetted.  Or do you disagree?

But, as we all know, circumstantial evidence isn't admissible, right guys? 

As to your last question, I disagree with your characterization of those emails. Vetting is fine, but so far there is nothing "there" there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit what is going on I don't understand but lets just do whatever the smart science guys are saying to do.

That's actually a good approach for most things, especially public health. 

You know what's not a good idea generally? Listening to evangelicals. For anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

But, as we all know, circumstantial evidence isn't admissible, right guys? 

As to your last question, I disagree with your characterization of those emails. Vetting is fine, but so far there is nothing "there" there. 

There is significantly more "evidence" to the lab leak theory than the natural spill over theory.  Does that not warrant a vigorous, 9/11-level investigation?

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I wasn't responding to you, I know for you it is not about eating crow (primarily).

For your bullshit - if there is something there (meaning evidence that Fauci maliciously misled people or abused his position for personal gain or whatever), absolutely. But the Always Sunny Charlie Beautiful Mind image is completely accurate for what you are doing here. Also, "malicious" and "abused" are doing some lifting in that sentence - I completely agree (and agreed in real time) that early pandemic Fauci downplayed masks so as not to cause further supply issues for healthcare workers (in addition to considerations about existing data and where we were in the pandemic at that point). If Fauci disagreed with the lab theory early on and said so, and then later it turned out that there's something there - I don't think that that matters or is a reason to crucify him. But that is different than the shit you are throwing out, which is...

tenor.gif?itemid=16269829

to more directly answer your final question - i think it is worthwhile for his FOIA e-mails to be examined by sane people. If someone in his position received e-mails and didn't answer them, that alone indicates absolutely nothing at all.

Edited by Celery Man

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Holy shit what is going on I don't understand but lets just do whatever the smart science guys are saying to do.

That's actually a good approach for most things, especially public health.

Don't disagree.  The problem is after the outbreak happened, the smart science guys we sent in (Daszak and Faucci among others) were best friends with the smart science guys in the lab itself.  A clear conflict of interest.  When another smart science guy, Redfield, a respected virologist and director of the CDC said there are disturbing indications that this virus came from a lab (early on), he was castigated, labeled a racist, etc. Why?  

Again, this needs to be torn open and investigated 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He was presented as THE authority, his words were taken as gospel. If you disagreed with him you were debated, attacked, called anti science....  the list goes on.  

Well, except by dear leader.  Who was flapping his billowy asshole about Lysol and Hydroxyquinone.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

There is significantly more "evidence" to the lab leak theory than the natural spill over theory.  Does that not warrant a vigorous, 9/11-level investigation?

Lab leak makes sense to me and I agree there is some evidence to support it and it should be investigated. I don't know there is MORE evidence supporting that theory than other natural exposure, but there is certainly some. There is almost no evidence of any kind of genetic modification at the lab. It should still be investigated. However, I don't know what a "9/11" level investigation means though in this context. I've certainly seen no evidence that Fauci or really anybody besides China is involved in some super secret coverup of the original source of the virus. And I don't think we need a criminal investigation into Fauci because there isn't any evidence that he has done anything wrong, criminally speaking.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

the smart science guys we sent in (Daszak and Faucci among others) were best friends with the smart science guys in the lab itself

Not only friendly, but directly involved in funding their specimen collection and consolidation activities in Wuhan.  The really quick and definitive push back given the early state of knowledge should have been a signal, but Trump had tainted the topic politically from the get go. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

if there is something there (meaning evidence that Fauci maliciously misled people or abused his position for personal gain or whatever), absolutely.

How would we know?  We going to play the absence of evidence is evidence of absence game?  This isn't about just Faucci.  It is clear in the emails he had a more than reasonable understanding of the type of research being done in Wuhan.  There is also quite a bit pointing that he was alerted very early to the possibilities of a leak.  This in my mind warrants a massive federal investigation.  Guess you don't...

Just now, Anastasis said:

Not only friendly, but directly involved in funding their specimen collection and consolidation activities in Wuhan.  The really quick and definitive push back given the early state of knowledge should have been a signal, but Trump had tainted the topic politically from the get go. 

Yep.  It was a clear conflict of interest.  Then became a massive source bias as everyone citing the natural spillover theory sourced back to them.  Thus began the loop.  

Why do you refuse to spell Anthony Fauci's name correctly?  Is it like Democrat party?

It's only been spelled correctly on this thread about 100 times, and even the shitty sources you rely upon spell his name correctly.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why do you refuse to spell Anthony Fauci's name correctly?  Is it like Democrat party?

It's only been spelled correctly on this thread about 100 times, and even the shitty sources you rely upon spell his name correctly.

and if you forget, it's there right at the top in the thread title. it's laziness at best (but do lazy people put in EXTRA letters?)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It makes it “feel” more unamerican if you spell it that way.  And let’s be real, that’s what this is about.  Hurt feelings from the “fuck your feelings” crowd.  The projection really is amazing.

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

How would we know?  We going to play the absence of evidence is evidence of absence game?  This isn't about just Faucci.  It is clear in the emails he had a more than reasonable understanding of the type of research being done in Wuhan.  There is also quite a bit pointing that he was alerted very early to the possibilities of a leak.  This in my mind warrants a massive federal investigation.  Guess you don't...

I do believe that evidence should be required before undertaking a massive federal investigation into Fauci specifically, you are correct.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

I do believe that evidence should be required before undertaking a massive federal investigation into Fauci specifically, you are correct.

That wasn't the question.  Fauci needs to be a part of a larger, federal investigation/commission into the origins of this virus.  We have more than 3 million dead worldwide from a virus that seems more and more came from a lab.  Seems we'd want answers and transparency.  

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

That wasn't the question.  Fauci needs to be a part of a larger, federal investigation/commission into the origins of this virus.  We have more than 3 million dead worldwide from a virus that seems more and more came from a lab.  Seems we'd want answers and transparency.  

start with Trump. he was informed early last year and did nothing and in fact hindered the CDC and Fauci's ability to get good, cohesive messaging out. this directly contributed to thousands - possibly hundreds of thousands - of deaths.

or wait, is what not what you wanted to hear? you wanna somehow pin Fauci as scapegoat without acknowledging the tiny, orange hand over his mouth? gtfo of here with that shit

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Well we might want them, but what are you gonna do, go march into China and demand truth, honesty and transparency?  Might as well try to get Trump's tax returns.  Same results.

• Hook 'Em 1

We have more than 3 million dead worldwide from a virus that seems more and more came from a lab.  Seems we'd want answers and transparency.  

Bring in the Hague. This country can’t investigate shite if there is politics involved.FFS, the health our Republic doesn’t move one Party to want an investigation into 1:6.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More

obviously i agree that we should investigate and understand the origins of the covid-19

shit, investigate the spread too as long as it will inevitably be a circus

Edited by Celery Man

14 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well we might want them, but what are you gonna do, go march into China and demand truth, honesty and transparency?  Might as well try to get Trump's tax returns.  Same results.

lol, right? what needs to be investigated is how Trump let 400k (nearly 600k to date - and yes, I put those on him) people die needlessly. what needs to be investigated his why Trump disregarded the pandemic guidelines left by the previous admin. what needs to be investigated is Trump all but gagging Fauci and obfuscating the truth to try to make himself look better. It doesn't matter how the virus got here (I mean, it does, but not for this part). What matters is that it did get here and then our leaders completely and utterly bungled the response and let half a million people die because of it. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, right? what needs to be investigated is how Trump let 400k (nearly 600k to date - and yes, I put those on him) people die needlessly. what needs to be investigated his why Trump disregarded the pandemic guidelines left by the previous admin. what needs to be investigated is Trump all but gagging Fauci and obfuscating the truth to try to make himself look better. It doesn't matter how the virus got here (I mean, it does, but not for this part). What matters is that it did get here and then our leaders completely and utterly bungled the response and let half a million people die because of it. 

Put it all on the table, imo. 

27 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

What if we had some sort of global pandemic response team with our own epidemiologists on the ground throughout the world?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, elguapo said:

This is just the new right wing moron playbook, it's happening at all levels of government right now.

• Comb through statements/emails trying to find something that looks bad out of context
  • When they find said item, hysterically repeat and spread that this is wrong/illegal/evil
  • Repeat ad infinitum

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I'd like a massive federal investigation into Trump's historic and intentional mishandling of the virus once he and his people knew about it. If you want a tangential investigation into Fauci's decisions then go for it. The rage you Trumpkin's have against Fauci seems inverse to your absence of rage about Trump and his apologists.

Edited by Orale
I don't really know Baba's politics so I won't accuse him of being a Trumpkin.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orale said:

I'd like a massive federal investigation into Trump's historic and intentional mishandling of the virus once he and his people knew about it. If you want a tangential investigation into Fauci's decisions then go for it. The rage you Trumpkin's have against Fauci seems inverse to your absence of rage about Trump and his apologists like you. People like you enabled this atrocity. 

yup. 

forget it Marge its emails again

Fauci is a saint? did I just read that victimhood from our right leaning friends? this fucking thread was 2 fucking pages long up until yesterday you weirdos. 

the world is complicated and we need to come together and learn and shit. FUCKING NO SHIT WHAT DO YOU WIN? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

an interesting alt reality would be the US Airways Hudson River landing happening in 2018 and the alt reality folks ripping Sully to shreds

Why didn’t Sully ask where the goose came from? What if Canada released the goose on purpose? And there’s really a good chance that the goose strike won’t cause the plane to crash! Sully is a globalist who wants to control you and keep you from traveling to Charlotte! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I am glad we devoted an entire page and a half to sucking fauci's dick over the entire course of this pandemic. I really feel like it could have been 3 pages. can we go back in time do I can try this shit again. I could at least put some better gifs in this thread before the simpletons discovered teamwork 

tenor.gif?itemid=9853533

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

America 2021 doesn’t deserve a Fauci. I am dead serious. If you want to play Monday Morning QB, ok. If you want to say that in the face of a world historic pandemic he made some mistakes OK. If you want to say he was too naive with the Chinese and that he didn’t grasp how politicized their science is, Ok. You’re much dumber than him and less accomplished but fair enough,

But if you’re out here pushing MALICIOUSNESS to this guy, then have a damn seat. Fauci is a product of an America where intent mattered, where we asked people to rake risks in service of a bigger ideal, where we believed we could find answers even as we made mistakes, and where we looked at the whole big messy world and said “we can make this better.” And even when we stepped on our own dicks, we at least tried. 

The pissants and sycophants attacking him are the products of an America where the only thing that matters is my next CC purchase and the right to tell my neighbor who looks different that I hate him. An America where the only freedom that matters is the freedom to be a dickhead. Where being an ignorant dickhead is the dream. 

/rantover 

This is all fine if the assumption is he had no knowledge of the GOF research being done in the lab (ACE2 receptors within human lungs), or that he was completely and totally unaware that this was a lab leak and not a natural spillover event.

But if he did know what the lab was actually researching?

If he did know or have a strong inkling that this was a lab leak and tried to keep that under wraps?

If he ignored compelling testimony from scientific peers (such as the head of the CDC) that this virus didn't come from caves and markets?

What he knew, and when did he know it.  That's the ask.  Most are coming around on the lab leak hypothesis.  Next, my guess is we'll have more conclusive evidence that he was aware much earlier that research he and his friends were funding played a part in this outbreak.  

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Why didn’t Sully ask where the goose came from? What if Canada released the goose on purpose? And there’s really a good chance that the goose strike won’t cause the plane to crash! Sully is a globalist who wants to control you and keep you from traveling to Charlotte! 

e-mails reveal that Sully flew to Canada over a dozen times in the months leading up to the strike. here he is pictured standing outside a bar shortly before the flight (Brewery Heights in Terminal B)

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is all fine if the assumption is he had no knowledge of the GOF research being done in the lab (ACE2 receptors within human lungs), or that he was completely and totally unaware that this was a lab leak and not a natural spillover event.

But if he did know what the lab was actually researching?

If he did know or have a strong inkling that this was a lab leak and tried to keep that under wraps?

If he ignored compelling testimony from scientific peers (such as the head of the CDC) that this virus didn't come from caves and markets?

What he knew, and when did he know it.  That's the ask.  Most are coming around on the lab leak hypothesis.  Next, my guess is we'll have more conclusive evidence that he was aware much earlier that research he and his friends were funding played a part in this outbreak.  

Ok, I’m gonna try this: You’re being lied to. I am completely in favor of a massive investigation into COVID, where it came from and how we screwed up. Yeah, even to look into lab origin. 

But you are being peddled a bunch of NewsMax Cinematic Universe horseshit on this narrative of “Fauci was funneling money to CHINA to make a VIRUS that ESCAPED and then tired to COVERUP.” I am sorry, there’s no other way to say it to you. 

Serious question, did you have any idea what ACE2 receptors were till Fox News started pushing this story? Had you even seen the acronym?  I sure as shit didn’t. Maybe, just maybe, the partisan media isn’t the place to debate what research was and wasn’t good. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

e-mails reveal that Sully flew to Canada over a dozen times in the months leading up to the strike. here he is pictured standing outside a bar shortly before the flight (Brewery Heights in Terminal B)

Using your seat cushion as a floatation device is for the weak who can’t swim.