The all encompassing RV thread

troph

On 7/30/2023 at 4:36 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

123476d47009bacf7e7c2f33d358fcdd3924.jpg5ef08fcc3dcfd8d9dce8ddfdf0ef0da1.jpg610389730e925fdc77f3e0830b3e10a2.jpg

Finally sold this I think. Supposed to meet at the bank Monday.  I will be so glad to be done dealing with all the idiots you deal with when you try to sell something like this. Got asking price so maybe I should have priced higher? Ha, oh well, on to new things. 

Officially gone now, money in the bank. Realized that we had that thing 8 years and we got that thing for a little over $500 a year with what we sold it for. That is a deal. If I ever get back into rv shit I am going airstream all day. 

I am in the planning phase for my house at the ranch, once built I will sell the big Jayco we have. I will be lucky to get someone to just haul that pos off.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Officially gone now, money in the bank. Realized that we had that thing 8 years and we got that thing for a little over $500 a year with what we sold it for. That is a deal. If I ever get back into rv shit I am going airstream all day. 

I am in the planning phase for my house at the ranch, once built I will sell the big Jayco we have. I will be lucky to get someone to just haul that pos off.

Well that's a hell of a return.  Wonder what the rental ROI model is on Airstreams that are rented?  More than $500 a year I venture.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I just completed the (almost) month in Port Aransas at IB MaGee.  Surf Fishing was tough with the early cold fronts, but managed to get a few Redfish.  We did a couple long weekends and then I went back to get the rig and do a little more fishing.  Well I finally got into t few fish the evening before I had planned to leave ahead of that big cold front.  The weather was just too good, and I decided to fish in the AM and just Iron man it home on Sunday night.  The good news was I caught a limit of Redfish in the AM.  I could have stayed another night but it was gonna be windy either way, and rainy the next AM.  So got off water at 11:30, got back to trailer to unload 12:15, cleaned Fish at 1:00, washed truck and got gas 1:30, fiinshing all the make ready and I drive right up on the ferry at 3 PM!
Unfortunately at about 4:00 just a few miles south of Refugio I have the exact same image as CoachTex. One of my tires had a flat, and it was a new one!  My TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) kept going off but I kept hitting the ignore button.  By the time I checked it I had like 5 lbs left in the tire.  Then the fun begins!  i am prepared ahd bought a hydraulic jack that popped the wheel right up and got it off.  Then found out that I was about 1/2 inch short of getting the spare on.  So I get the truck jack,  Takes a few minutes to get it in place an up goes the rig a little higher. Great!  Then I realize that from the angle of the truck jack I will not be able to get the jack down once the tire is on! Argh!  So drop it again, replace jack and third times a charm.  Screw on TPMS stem cap and off I go!  Only 45 minutes with the BS.  Then I notice the pressure system says 18 psi.  So I go slow into Refugio, and it takes me three damn stops to find a working air compressor.  With a trailer and exhausted it was more than frustrating.
Woke up at 5:45 to fish and rolled into Austin at 8:45.  This little dilemma is making me either put a cigarette lighter outlet by one set of the tires where the cord will reach to the other side. Or perhaps buy one of those cordless drill looking inflators.  AND I will check the pressure on my spare every trip from now on.  Good news is tire had discount certificate and they put the new tire on in about 5 minutes.  Now I am back and doing some maintenance, and I noticed my 30 amp outlet looks like there was a little arcing.  Apparently the screw tight threads on the outlet are fubar, so likely the connection was not solid at some point. Likely when I was messing with all the connections after getting the power going.  So I need to replace that.  
Going to clean the shit out of her, get my maintenance done a
RedfishJettyLimit.thumb.jpeg.a1a1db303e7d7d865086edd03c73ee19.jpegnd reorganize the storage area.  I don't use the trailer near enough, but these months of on and off staying in Port A alone have been worth it.  Otherwise I would not have this fish pic!

I have a Ryobi cordless compressor. Works great.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 9:13 AM, davidg said:

Had a great weekend up at the ranch. It was a little windy Sat night but overall  the weather was great.  My sisters (no pics) and one BIL stayed Friday night after a short memorial for a recently deceased aunt.  They had a good time shooting a few guns, cutting cedars and yaupon for Christmas decorations.  I made some great burgers for supper and we did a few rounds of s’mores and cocktails by the fire.  

My son and his roommate came up Sat night and we hunted ducks on Sunday morning with a little bit of success.   We had a late brunch and shot up more shells on some thrown targets and and spinners and plates on the pistol range.   

I really love camping at the ranch this time of year and can’t wait to get back up there after Christmas.

C1833702-121C-4896-B801-1E742A90F305.thumb.jpeg.8b00c5aad5e1686f9e5bd5d415cd057f.jpeg
9CC85AFF-2BBA-4A88-ACEA-429BC1D23821.thumb.jpeg.7cd179884c46a4138c3fd4da1e96280d.jpeg

1F52B23E-9764-4580-93B5-30C68273076E.thumb.jpeg.763a73aa62017b6886ce305bf6f19a9f.jpeg

F6C5F11C-925E-4A49-99F0-D083CDF327D4.thumb.jpeg.bcc0a7e08271d942c6389887bdadff03.jpeg

Nice water on the place. 

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, stc said:
nine point draw in big bend, great site. added a 2nd solar panel and a new lithium battery to the van before the trip. heaven. 

BigbendDecember2023-Imgur(27).thumb.jpg.16dd2af971289f29be2d2f24557dcd24.jpg

Yeah, van camping isn't really even camping, but it is spectacular.

I mean, this is the RV thread, not the back-country solo trekking thread or whatever... :)

Just now, utee94 said:

I mean, this is the RV thread, not the back-country solo trekking thread or whatever... :)

True.  My son gives me shit that the van is not camping all the time.  He's kind of right but I don't care.  I'm never going back to sleeping on the ground.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

True.  My son gives me shit that the van is not camping all the time.  He's kind of right but I don't care.  I'm never going back to sleeping on the ground.

Good thing you didn't draw the line at digging a little hole, and trying to aim your poop to fall into it....

19 hours ago, davidg said:

Any of y’all with RV’s in the freeze zone might consider a little winterizing before the front next week. We’re gonna go drain and blow out the lines this evening just to be on the safe side.

All I've ever done with mine, is open the drain plug on the water heater, open all low points for hot, cold, and freshwater tank, open all faucets, and then drive it from my house to the storage lot (a couple of miles) to let all the water slosh around and drain out.  I have friends who will also blow it out and use antifreeze in the water heater, but I've never found that necessary.  It's survived both the Icepocalypse and the Snowpocalypse of 2021 and 2023, so I guess that's enough.

*Note-- I did lose the kitchen sink faucet a year or two before the first big freeze, when I failed to open it all the way and it must have had a little water inside that froze and cracked the cartridge.  I haven't made that mistake again.

Took us about an hour to to hook up and drag it straight out of the storage bay, drain the main tank, drain the water heater, open low point drains and blow all faucets, hose connections and drains. We added some anti-freeze into the ptraps, backed it into the bay, set the jacks and unhitched. Probably over cautious but a little time now hopefully prevents issues when whe want to use it next month.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:36 AM, davidg said:

Took us about an hour to to hook up and drag it straight out of the storage bay, drain the main tank, drain the water heater, open low point drains and blow all faucets, hose connections and drains. We added some anti-freeze into the ptraps, backed it into the bay, set the jacks and unhitched. Probably over cautious but a little time now hopefully prevents issues when whe want to use it next month.

Went down to the ranch and blew mine out this weekend. Added RV antifreeze to the P-traps, and drained the water heater.   This is when she gets a new anode each yeah.  I think we’ll be just fine but would rather take the hour to take care of it than chase broken waterlines throughout the thing.  Also, got to make a few sits in the blind and drank at least one million beers (it feels like, anyhow). 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

Saw this just down the road from my house here at Canyon Lake.  If it's for sale I'm going to buy it and get yellow hazmat suits for me and my buddy to smoke briskets in on the other side of the RV out where everyone is driving by -- 

Image 2-23-24 at 6.38 AM.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Saw this just down the road from my house here at Canyon Lake.  If it's for sale I'm going to buy it and get yellow hazmat suits for me and my buddy to smoke briskets in on the other side of the RV out where everyone is driving by -- 

Image 2-23-24 at 6.38 AM.jpeg

Damn, it's spot on - that's fantastic

GkY9.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.motortrend.com/features/bowlus-volterra-luxury-travel-trailer-overnight-review/?sm_id=organic%3Asm_id%3Afb%3AMT%3Atrueanthem&fbclid=IwAR27aCflYIxQliXNdG02Ge9cFO8Mxxs9esLgkjKpjDtFk9UsGJaLXRuQ2Bg

We rounded the corner and there it was. Behold, the Bowlus Volterra in all its polished glory beckoned us, lowly us, for a one-night stay. We politely obliged and settled in for the night, trying to act like staying in a $310,000 luxury travel trailer was normal, perfectly normal. We promptly excused ourselves to go buy some lotto tickets, promising that if we won the jackpot, the first thing we would buy was a Bowlus Volterra. We meant it.

image.png.abe74f4699320159d73add727bde8b8a.png

56 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I would be too paranoid about every little scratch or scrape with that thing to be able to enjoy it. No way in hell I would let any of my Neanderthal friends near it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

That thing is ridiculous, and that's coming from someone who spent way too much money building out a Sprinter.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Damn, it's spot on - that's fantastic

GkY9.gif

H-Berg's BBQ, where something good is always cooking.  Don't forget to try our Blue Margarita!  YO, SCIENCE!!!

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 7:13 AM, davidg said:

Had a great weekend up at the ranch. It was a little windy Sat night but overall  the weather was great.  My sisters (no pics) and one BIL stayed Friday night after a short memorial for a recently deceased aunt.  They had a good time shooting a few guns, cutting cedars and yaupon for Christmas decorations.  I made some great burgers for supper and we did a few rounds of s’mores and cocktails by the fire.  

My son and his roommate came up Sat night and we hunted ducks on Sunday morning with a little bit of success.   We had a late brunch and shot up more shells on some thrown targets and and spinners and plates on the pistol range.   

I really love camping at the ranch this time of year and can’t wait to get back up there after Christmas.

C1833702-121C-4896-B801-1E742A90F305.thumb.jpeg.8b00c5aad5e1686f9e5bd5d415cd057f.jpeg
9CC85AFF-2BBA-4A88-ACEA-429BC1D23821.thumb.jpeg.7cd179884c46a4138c3fd4da1e96280d.jpeg

1F52B23E-9764-4580-93B5-30C68273076E.thumb.jpeg.763a73aa62017b6886ce305bf6f19a9f.jpegF6C5F11C-925E-4A49-99F0-D083CDF327D4.thumb.jpeg.bcc0a7e08271d942c6389887bdadff03.jpeg

Recently joined the club, with a mini version of the Imagine.  19 footer, so I can pull it behind my midsize truck.  And, it's just the two of us, and we're only expecting to haul the thing up and down the socal beaches when the weather warms up. 

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but the build on this thing looks to be better than the others that we looked at. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I've liked the Imagine models for years.  I don't own one but I tour through the boat and RV show every year and Imagine always have a tighter fit and finish than the majority of competitors.

On 3/14/2024 at 5:06 PM, Gil Bang said:

Recently joined the club, with a mini version of the Imagine.  19 footer, so I can pull it behind my midsize truck.  And, it's just the two of us, and we're only expecting to haul the thing up and down the socal beaches when the weather warms up. 

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but the build on this thing looks to be better than the others that we looked at. 

The GD stuff is nice. The family we camp With has one of their bigger 5th wheels, really nice. 

We’ve enjoyed our GD Imagine. Camped this weekend and it was our 32nd trip and 91st nights sleeping in our trailer since we picked it up in Aug 2020.

We haven’t had any major issues with ours so our experience with GD is pretty good at this point. GD has a good reputation for handling customer support issues but there are still plenty of FB and forum posts of people having issues and not getting any satisfaction in getting it fixed.

My main two gripes are I wish our trailer had a full 3/4” plywood subfloor instead of the lightweight aluminum/foam/ply laminate sandwich they use. I also wish they didn’t use particle board for all the cabinetry. Any moisture and that crap instantly grows mold and fungus. Most of the other stuff I can deal with so issues with it doesn’t bother me too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 10:55 AM, davidg said:

We’ve enjoyed our GD Imagine. Camped this weekend and it was our 32nd trip and 91st nights sleeping in our trailer since we picked it up in Aug 2020.

We haven’t had any major issues with ours so our experience with GD is pretty good at this point. GD has a good reputation for handling customer support issues but there are still plenty of FB and forum posts of people having issues and not getting any satisfaction in getting it fixed.

My main two gripes are I wish our trailer had a full 3/4” plywood subfloor instead of the lightweight aluminum/foam/ply laminate sandwich they use. I also wish they didn’t use particle board for all the cabinetry. Any moisture and that crap instantly grows mold and fungus. Most of the other stuff I can deal with so issues with it doesn’t bother me too much.

Kudo's for getting the days in!  I am pretty sure I am on par with that, simply from spending nearly most of the last few Octobers in Port A with a monthly slot.  Unfortunately right now I am taking care of my Dad and I am about to have to cancel the second planned trip of this year.  

So far I have been lucky on my Freedom Express, and don't have any soft spots in the floor.  My problem is that slowly but surely the vinyl slowly but surely is deteriorating on the high contact areas where they used it for trim.  But it may end up being the best thing in the end, as then I will replace it with some better trim.  I keep threatening to recover the Sofa with a softer fabric I bought, but haven't gotten around to that either.  But will do that before it gets hot come hell or high water!

My only real gripe is the yellowing of the clear plastic trim around the shower slide, as UV from the skylight damaged it in storage over time.  Of course now that I have dared utter the words "my only real gripe" means I have most surely fucked myself with some currently unknown issue. argh!