Hostiles

Baboontyme

Watched it last night. Amazing. Not a whole lot of joy on the ol frontier, especially with Comanche around.

That's one of the most accurate portrayals of life in Comancheria that I have seen depicted on the big screen.

I thought Bale was great, writing was excellent, cinematography was stunning.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, bularry1 said:

I thought it was too long.  it was good, but kinda slow.

Bale was excellent

this - thought it was a little slow but overall thought it was a good movie. not sure if spoiler or not:

my wife loves ryan bingham so his cameo in the movie was pretty cool to see for her, but then when they end up going into the camp with those dudes who kidnapped the girls, i was like "watch, there's gonna kill Malloy here" and then 2 minutes later, "malloy's dead"..for some reason i thought that was pretty funny.

• Like 1

Really good movie, but I thought the opening scene was a giant plot weakness. 

The father and family obviously knew a day would come when they would get attacked..... and the plan was for the wife and kids to run out the back door and for him to grab the rifle and take on a bunch of guys on horseback? 

But yes, very underrated movie. Bale was remarkable, IMO

22 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

Watched it last night, as the OP said, brutal. 

Hide contents

So did the Indians sneak off and kill the "rattlesnake" Comanche when the soldier fell asleep?  Then hang the one from a tree?

yeah.  slater was on watch and he let them do it, presumably, based on what he says to pat bateman about it. 

On 8/16/2018 at 5:18 PM, HoustonFrog said:

The father and family obviously knew a day would come when they would get attacked..... and the plan was for the wife and kids to run out the back door and for him to grab the rifle and take on a bunch of guys on horseback? 

Just started it and this immediately stood out.  You have a single rifle and the only advantage you have against some guys on horseback is you have shelter.  So your plan is to immediately leave the shelter when attacked?  

It was above "meh," but below "best in a while."  Although the latter seems to me to be a pretty low bar these days.

Acting was pretty good.  Ben Foster wasn't around long enough for my taste.  And the characters other than Bale, Pike, and Studi were gossamer thin to the point of nonexistence.  Even those three were a bit skinny, too.

Enjoyable flick though, probably because of the subject matter.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Funny how Slater from Dazed and Confused has built himself a nice little career.

Holy cow.  I'm usually pretty good at picking up on, "Oh that's the actor that was in..." moments, but I never would have figured that out on my own.  

I liked the movie.  I liked how it showed the good v evil on both sides of the coin.  

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Holy cow.  I'm usually pretty good at picking up on, "Oh that's the actor that was in..." moments, but I never would have figured that out on my own.  

I liked the movie.  I liked how it showed the good v evil on both sides of the coin.  

Same here....my wife had to point it out.  It took a while to realize it was him in Black Mass too.

he's a chameleon.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/16/2018 at 6:18 PM, HoustonFrog said:

He was distracting them so they could flee.  However, the wife held up and watched the scene with her daughters which may have cost them all their lives.  He pretty much died in vain, since the children all died too, and she looks to maybe getting hitched in the end. 

On 4/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

holy moly, def. the best western since open range... maybe the best western since Dances With wolves

Really did remind me of Dances with Wolves--especially the scenery and the journey by a lonesome, ex civil war officer.  

Thought it was a good movie.   Seeing it after all the bodies of Native American school children in Canada is just another addition to the atrocities against humanity that non natives committed.