Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

26 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Nice cop out. I can google whatever. I kind of figured you were googling trying to justify your statement. Instead you come back with this bullshit.

Name what you believe. Or admit that you won’t and are just talking out of your ass. 

Let’s just say he has issues with honesty, liberty, institutional norms as well.  With his security clearance gone he won’t have any more input on potential torture, Senate spying operations, or drone programs and that’s a good thing. And that’s just what we know about.

If I care enough later I’ll pull up some links, but I’m gonna go for a swim with the kids.

You’ll notice that none of the other posters are defending Brennan’s character?  It’s more about bad Trump.  Have a nice night. 

• Fuck You 3

20 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Let’s just say he has issues with honesty, liberty, institutional norms as well.  With his security clearance gone he won’t have any more input on potential torture, Senate spying operations, or drone programs and that’s a good thing. And that’s just what we know about.

If I care enough later I’ll pull up some links, but I’m gonna go for a swim with the kids.

You’ll notice that none of the other posters are defending Brennan’s character?  It’s more about bad Trump.  Have a nice night. 

Weak.

have a nice swim though 

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm sure you'll weep just as heavily as you did when it happened in 2001 and 2017.

I was on record throughout the Bush administration. That was back on hornfans though, so you might have to dust off some old mod privileges to search the database.  Try to stay out of my PMs though. 

49 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think all this justifying of the current abuse of executive power is cute. It’s going to be sadly predictable watching your concerns suddenly reappear come 2021, just like they did in 2009.

Meh, it's all death spiral all the time now. Pull up a chair and the beverage of your choice. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I think that all this new found interest in the abuse of executive power is cute.  It's going to be sadly predictable watching all those concerns go poof come 2021. Just like they did 2009. 

I love you best when you're bemused in your lofty perch. You never let a speck of dirt soil your pristine wings of white. I love your song, "Both sides...both sides...both sides...cutecute...cutecute.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I love you best when you're bemused in your lofty perch. You never let a speck of dirt soil your pristine wings of white. I love your song, "Both sides...both sides...both sides...cutecute...cutecute.

My wings ain't white and my perch ain't lofty. I've never claimed that my seat is in the high nest. Noting the trajectory and degradation of our society and political system is not particularly virtuous of itself. Acknowledging reality seldom should stand out.  But these are our times.   

44 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I didn't realize John Brennan was the president of the United States.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Good.  Once you separate from your government position you should not have access to classified government materials. 

This concept makes general sense.  I think the use of the clearance for former officials has usually occurred when current officials seek advice/input from prior ones, to get their experience, perspective, etc.  It’s not used as some carte blanche VIP all-access mechanism.

To put your principle (which I generally agree with) into practice, it would be necessary to create some special expedited process for former officials.  I say that because the thought of officials spending all kinds of time and effort to get an individual limited clearance before sharing stuff would be a clusterfuck, if they had to get a new one every time they wanted to seek advice and counsel from the former dudes.

28 minutes ago, scottsins said:

This concept makes general sense.  I think the use of the clearance for former officials has usually occurred when current officials seek advice/input from prior ones, to get their experience, perspective, etc.  It’s not used as some carte blanche VIP all-access mechanism.

I don't know the details, but it seems like it's more of a "do you remember that operation that we ran in ____? We're doing it again, and we wanted your input..." It's not like he can waltz into any govt facility and start reading documents. Based on being director, I could see him having access to a lot of information though. But it would take place on an as-needed basis.

Even if he makes money off of the clearance, then so what. Assuming it's legitimate business in which he's involved, how is that different than thousands of other DoD/DoE employees who move in and out of jobs with Q clearances.

Edited by retread

McConnell and Ryan are privy to internal polls.
They know what's coming. 

I just had an epiphany. We keep mocking these outgoing Rs for being spineless pussies. But what if they’ve decided the best thing for the country is acquiescence to the “blue wave”, and any action by them at this point would be counterproductive? In other words, Ryan et al
“standing up” might inadvertently garner support for Rs they believe to be complicit?

Maybe I’m right. Maybe I’m drunk. Carry on.

26 minutes ago, scottsins said:

To put your principle (which I generally agree with) into practice, it would be necessary to create some special expedited process for former officials.  I say that because the thought of officials spending all kinds of time and effort to get an individual limited clearance before sharing stuff would be a clusterfuck, if they had to get a new one every time they wanted to seek advice and counsel from the former dudes.

This entire system is just a institutionalized backdrop for the military intelligence industrial infrastructure to operate.  People dipping into both government and private sector spheres, enriching themselves with inside knowledge and access gleaned during their "service". Just like all the bureaucrats who retire out of their government service and go right to milking the private sector based on their access and knowledge of the system.  Will somebody think of the national security!! Lulz. This isn't about national security, it's about the military industrial network of consultants and lobbyists. But I actually agree with you.  If you can demonstrate a clear need on a case by case basis, yes, expedite the necessary approvals.  But the reality is that justification is a bullshit smoke screen. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This entire system is just a institutionalized backdrop for the military intelligence industrial infrastructure to operate.  People dipping into both government and private sector spheres, enriching themselves with inside knowledge and access gleaned during their "service". Just like all the bureaucrats who retire out of their government service and go right to milking the private sector based on their access and knowledge of the system.  Will somebody think of the national security!! Lulz. This isn't about national security, it's about the military industrial network of consultants and lobbyists. But I actually agree with you.  If you can demonstrate a clear need on a case by case basis, yes, expedite the necessary approvals.  But the reality is that justification is a bullshit smoke screen. 

The defense budget is the largest jobs program in the country, from consultants to lobbyists to the guy who cleans the floor at Boeing.

It's corporate welfare and a type of big government that the right seems to be OK with because terrorism or communism or something.

I tried reading this. Really I did.

But I couldn’t.
  • Haha 1

Everyone knows that Eisenhauer warned us about the military industrial complex. What most don't know is that later on that night, he drunkenly coined the term "military intelligence industrial infrastructure," which oddly enough never stuck.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Everyone knows that Eisenhauer warned us about the military industrial complex. What most don't know is that later on that night, he drunkenly coined the term "military intelligence industrial infrastructure," which oddly enough never stuck.

Boomhauer's cousin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ndawg said:

I chuckled.  But I do make a point of adding the intelligence apparatus specifically to Ike's formulation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

He’s a very bad dude for many reasons.  

That’s sweet that you think Brennan is some nonpartisan white knight, but let’s be real. He’s a 100% partisan political figure who, if you know his past abuses, is probably more worried about anything that might be dug up on him than the country itself. 

Since you've revealed yourself to be DSA by quoting from zerofuckinghedge, I'd like to remind the board that you also regularly used that mouthpiece of the Kremlin to, at first, deny the Russian invasion of Ukraine was occurring and then later used it to support Putin on the other board.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Wait...GR was stating that a systematic assessment of security privileges after Edward fuckin Snowden is the same as revoking the individual clearance of a former director because of his political statements?

What are you talking about?

• Fuck You 3

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you don't draw distinction between civilians and terrorists, this drone shit is totes awesome, as the liberal kids would say. 

Obviously the best thing to do is concern troll those opposed to the guy who has greatly increased our use of airstrikes while destroying what meager institutional checks existed to try and protect against collateral damage.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Since you've revealed yourself to be DSA by quoting from zerofuckinghedge, I'd like to remind the board that you also regularly used that mouthpiece of the Kremlin to, at first, deny the Russian invasion of Ukraine was occurring and then later used it to support Putin on the other board.

I’m not DSA, whoever that is.  I quoted Zerohedge because it’s one of about 500 accounts I follow on Twitter.

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Obviously the best thing to do is concern troll those opposed to the guy who has greatly increased our use of airstrikes while destroying what meager institutional checks existed to try and protect against collateral damage.

Interested in seeing all the opposition based on  airstrikes and military deployment.  Please do link.  Maybe after we work through the fish food catastrophe in Japan, it will register somewhere.  In the meantime, I see a bunch of folks fretting about the fate of individuals who personally support torture and rendition and drone strikes against civilians. But this concern trolling is a serious problem. 

27 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not DSA, whoever that is.  I quoted Zerohedge because it’s one of about 500 accounts I follow on Twitter.

1) If you claim to not know who DSA is, then you were never really active on shaggy. DSA was an active poster on multiple boards - not just in the CR. How did you come across surly on the date we made the switch?

2) You should stop following Russian propaganda on Twitter.

• Like 2