Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's really weird what's happened to certain posters. zork and tahoe both come to mind. 

they used to be highly partisan, sure, there's actually nothing overtly wrong with that. they would present their argument, i would rarely agree with it, but i never had any negative animus beyond simple disagreement on certain policies.

but something has changed in the stories they purvey and the posting style they've adopted. i think it's happening writ large in our society. i think it's intentional self-delusion as a defense reaction to how truly terrible this administration is, but their identity as a republican.

The video was released last night, 12 hours or more before I basically posted a link to it. 

Spending campaign funds for non campaign items is against the law with potentially huge FEC fines per occurence(apparently each gift card is tracked so that could be big fines if it is followed up on).  I suspect the money will be refunded or paid out of pocket with minimal fines.  But I don't know of course.

BTW, the campaign staffer in the video mentions that they are helping Hondurans from the caravan crossing into El Paso.  It is in the video.   That is not an opinion.  It does refute a bit, if the Beto employee is to be believed, that all of the caravan is ~1000 miles away. 

I was interested in the opinions of the people who post on both the threads where I posted the tweet.  I guess that does make me an idiot.

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but something has changed in the stories they purvey and the posting style they've adopted. i think it's happening writ large in our society. i think it's intentional self-delusion as a defense reaction to how truly terrible this administration is, but their identity as a republican.

Zork and Tahoe’s current posting style would be welcomed with open arms on forums competing with this one. The political talk forums on Texags and Tigerdroppings are completely different worlds compared to this one.

Someone started a thread with the same Project Veritas video Zork posted on TD.  That post has 20 upvotes and zero down votes.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/politics/project-veritas--video--beto-orourke-campaign--using-campaign-funds-to-help-hondurans/79877074/

2 minutes ago, zork said:

The video was released last night, 12 hours or more before I basically posted a link to it. 

Spending campaign funds for non campaign items is against the law with potentially huge FEC fines per occurence(apparently each gift card is tracked so that could be big fines if it is followed up on).  I suspect the money will be refunded or paid out of pocket with minimal fines.  But I don't know of course.

BTW, the campaign staffer in the video mentions that they are helping Hondurans from the caravan crossing into El Paso.  It is in the video.   That is not an opinion.  It does refute a bit, if the Beto employee is to be believed, that all of the caravan is ~1000 miles away. 

I was interested in the opinions of the people who post on both the threads where I posted the tweet.  I guess that does make me an idiot.

Hate to go all whatabout on you but how did you feel about Ted Cruz’s work with Cambridge Analytica and their use of stolen Facebook data to manipulate potential voters using a military style psyops campain. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hate to go all whatabout on you but how did you feel about Ted Cruz’s work with Cambridge Analytica and their use of stolen Facebook data to manipulate potential voters using a military style psyops campain. 

Not sure of the details.  I don't use Facebook since working for an analytics firm for almost a decade and seeing what they did as well as the updates for Facebook turning the default settings back to full disclosure a few times over the years.  You should be really careful what details you provide online.  Current status type information for sure and information on your children.(IMHO)  I'm probably too cautious on that front.

If Cruz's team stole it then it should be prosecuted.  If it is public domain after it is stolen then my transparency is good opinion kicks in.  I am for as much transparency as is possible without affecting covert missions.  

I haven't kept up with the Russia thing since about Easter of '17.

9 minutes ago, zork said:

Yeah, refutes it just a bit. Glad you could man up and admit that it's possible that O'Rourke campaign funds haven't been spent on caravan members crossing into El Paso given that they were 1,800 miles away yesterday

For fuck's sake if they were that far away yesterday but were crossing into El Paso last night then we should absolutely let them all in so we can start winning Olympic track events again.

5 minutes ago, seven said:

I may be getting posters mixed up but wasn't zork the one who continually posted the "Obama forces women to look at his erection on a plane" video? 

I did submit that link.  Again, to see what people had to say about it.

• Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, refutes it just a bit. Glad you could man up and admit that it's possible that O'Rourke campaign funds haven't been spent on caravan members crossing into El Paso given that they were 1,800 miles away yesterday

For fuck's sake if they were that far away yesterday but were crossing into El Paso last night then we should absolutely let them all in so we can start winning Olympic track events again.

You probably won't, but watch the video I linked.  The campaign guy talks about helping people, using gift cards from the campaign, from the caravan.  I'm not making it up.

Edited by zork

6 minutes ago, zork said:

If Cruz's team stole it then it should be prosecuted.  If it is public domain after it is stolen then my transparency is good opinion kicks in.  I am for as much transparency as is possible without affecting covert missions.  

I haven't kept up with the Russia thing since about Easter of '17.

Oh, so your standard is criminality, not ethics. 

Good to know. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

You probably won't, but watch the video I linked.  The campaign guy talks about helping people, using gift cards from the campaign, from the caravan.  I'm not making it up.

I already watched it. It's as dumb as I thought and others have already explained why.

You're basically Dolemite except from Texas and with a tiny sliver of self-awareness in the back of your mind telling you "maybe this is stupid" but you ignore the voice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Oh, so your standard is criminality, not ethics. 

Good to know. 

Is it public domain or not?  If public domain then it is not an ethical matter IMHO.  Only a matter of how widely dispersed the information is. 

The people stealing should be prosecuted.  If the information is classified and it is disseminated by a person with clearance then they should be held accountable.  I assume once it is public domain that no longer is the case but I don't know all the rules on classified docs.

You should probably start a thread on the topic.  This isn't the place for that discussion I believe.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I already watched it. It's as dumb as I thought and others have already explained why.

You're basically Dolemite except from Texas and with a tiny sliver of self-awareness in the back of your mind telling you "maybe this is stupid" but you ignore the voice.

It was disjointed for sure. But there certainly were enough exchanges that made it clear that a certain cavalier attitude towards campaign funds use via gift cards or other campaign supplies was being employed by decently high level campaign workers.  For you to deny that makes your self-awareness level in question to the point of approaching outright delusional.

This whole week has been a F Yo' Couch tour for Cheeto. Visit a mourning city that doesn't want you. Bemoan the fact that the pipe bombs and synagogue massacre screwed up your election momentum.

Lie about the caravan, and threaten to shoot them if they throw rocks. Lie about immigrants failing to show up for court.

Basically saying elect whoever you want, I'm gonna run wild after the midterms.

18 hours ago, lemonlime said:

I'm not saying that the orders should be disobeyed because of anyone's political affiliation.  I'm saying that they (maybe) should be disobeyed because he is deploying the military for a political stunt to try and win an election.  He is deploying more troops than are in Afghanistan to the border for a wholly made up threat, in an attempt to score political points. That's the stuff of dictatorships.  

At the very least, Mattis should be resigning over this.

Oh, not just Mattis. The entire JCS should be resigning. Any officer that is being deployed should be resigning.

Just like the ICE agents who were told to separate kids from parents should have resigned.

But they will all fall in line, just like good little nazis.

Yes, nazis. That is the road we are on. This country has taken more than a few steps down the road to full on Nazism.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Since its all equivalent, I offer to let Trump throw a rock at my face from 20yrds if i get to shoot a firearm at his from the same distance 

I'd do it at point blank range. He can pick the size of the rock--whatever his tiny, pale, soft hands can pick up. I'll even use Roy Moore's lady gun.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Oh, not just Mattis. The entire JCS should be resigning. Any officer that is being deployed should be resigning.

Just like the ICE agents who were told to separate kids from parents should have resigned.

But they will all fall in line, just like good little nazis.

Yes, nazis. That is the road we are on. This country has taken more than a few steps down the road to full on Nazism.

I don't begrudge career military personnel for not resigning over foolish orders to deploy.  I want to see them do the right thing in the event they are ordered to do something illegall, like fire on unarmed civilians (regardless of nationality), but mobilizing to the border in a silly show of "force"?  Nah.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I only speak english and broken spanish. So that leaves me with Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the UK. You have any better suggestions? 

Bahamas, Jamaica, other Caribbean islands, San Miguel de Allende in Mexico, Netherlands, Bermuda. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 1

I only speak english and broken spanish. So that leaves me with Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the UK. You have any better suggestions? 

You're correct that he made a dumb post and it's obvious people are picking English speaking countries, but there are more options.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_entities_where_English_is_an_official_language

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't begrudge career military personnel for not resigning over foolish orders to deploy.  I want to see them do the right thing in the event they are ordered to do something illegall, like fire on unarmed civilians (regardless of nationality), but mobilizing to the border in a silly show of "force"?  Nah.

This isn't silly. The parade was silly (albeit expensive). This is far beyond silly.

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

This isn't silly. The parade was silly (albeit expensive). This is far beyond silly.

He used the same "I'm defending our national security" line yesterday that he did with tariffs. He thinks (maybe rightly) that he has a blank check to do anything he wants.