Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

8 minutes ago, seven said:

This is ridiculous Hugo, good grief 

What is ridiculous about it?  

It amazes me how comfortable we’ve become with fascism.

The President is sending a battalion to the border for a fictional threat manufactured by defacto state propaganda, just to retain power.

If Obama had...(head explodes)

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Wow. What a garbage human leading a morally bankrupt piece of shit party.

When this is all you have left, you really have nothing positive to offer the people. It's just all fear all the time. It's the Fox News way. And all the stupid cunts out there will eat this up. The brown hoards are coming and it's all the party who holds neither houses of Congress or the Presidency's fault. I'm thinking his internal polling has to be telling him that they are about to get their asses handed to them. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

When this is all you have left, you really have nothing positive to offer the people. It's just all fear all the time. It's the Fox News way. And all the stupid cunts out there will eat this up. The brown hoards are coming and it's all the party who holds neither houses of Congress or the Presidency's fault. I'm thinking his internal polling has to be telling him that they are about to get their asses handed to them. 

It's interesting how they rarely mention the economy and low unemployment. They must not poll well. Throw out the red meat of immigration and MS-13.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, Hugo, be Politically Correct in how you frame the issues!!

. . . or clear so we know whether he is talking about reducing insurance coverage or putting gimpy kids in front of firing squads.  either is fine.  just because one party doesn't operate in the realm of honesty doesn't mean i have to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

. . . or clear so we know whether he is talking about reducing insurance coverage or putting gimpy kids in front of firing squads.

Why did you read that as "putting gimpy kids in front of firing squads"? You didn't like his framing because of something you imagined in your head. It's not his fault you thought that, it's yours.

When you take away healthcare from people who need it to live, you kill them. I'm sure you find it more palatable to abstract that reality behind Politically Correct framing, but anyone who argues that we should take healthcare access from people who need it to live advocate the eradication of disabled/terminally ill people. And politicians who use power to take that care away are actively eradicating disabled/terminally ill people.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Why did you read that as "putting gimpy kids in front of firing squads"? You didn't like his framing because of something you imagined in your head. It's not his fault you thought that, it's yours.

When you take away healthcare from people who need it to live, you kill them. I'm sure you find it more palatable to abstract that reality behind Politically Correct framing, but anyone who argues that we should take healthcare access from people who need it to live advocate the eradication of disabled/terminally ill people. And politicians who use power to take that care away are actively eradicating disabled/terminally ill people.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Facts don't care about your illiteracy either.  The tweet says "Systematic attempts to eradicate disabled population."  God only knows what that means.  Seems Hugo and you understood it to mean GOP's attempts to go back to pre-ACA times, back when we "systematically attempted to eradicate disabled populations" for the first 200 years of existence of our country.  It's stupid hyperbole hiding behind its vagueness.  Apologies if that vagueness helps you politically and you resent attempts to clarify what it is talking about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"eradicate disabled population" is provocative language, at best.  Marginalize?  Abandon?  The point may have more merit.  The wording as tweeted is Trumpesque, in reverse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

The tweet says "Systematic attempts to eradicate disabled population."  God only knows what that means.

I saw it as exactly what it was because I know that Trump isn't doing firing squads. You can call it hyperbole if you want, which is why I talk about "Politically Correct framing". I call "simple healthcare changes" purposeful downplaying of the deadly impact it has on vulnerable people. That doesn't "clarify" anything, it simply shifts the discussion into the realm of common political speech, which isn't "clearer" or more correct, just more usual. (Hence my proper use of the almost-always-misused phrase, "Politically correct")

It's hyperbolic and hysterical for people who aren't at risk. For the vulnerable populations, it's exactly the framing that's real to them.

Let them eat cake!

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

It's that kind of crap that feeds the right wing and harms the Dems/centrists, even.

Yes, because winnable human beings read that and think, "Fine, you know what, I was on the fence about making sure the sick had care, but now that someone exaggerated in a Tweet, I want them to die now."

Concern trolling is weak and #sad

Just now, bad_teammate said:

I saw it as exactly what it was because I know that Trump isn't doing firing squads. You can call it hyperbole if you want, which is why I talk about "Politically Correct framing". I call "simple healthcare changes" purposeful downplaying of the deadly impact it has on vulnerable people. That doesn't "clarify" anything, it simply shifts the discussion into the realm of common political speech, which isn't "clearer" or more correct, just more usual. (Hence my proper use of the almost-always-misused phrase, "Politically correct")

It's hyperbolic and hysterical for people who aren't at risk. For the vulnerable populations, it's exactly the framing that's real to them.

Let them eat cake!

Isn't it strange how some segments of American society treat accurately describing Republican policies as behavior even more abhorrent than child molestation?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, because winnable human beings read that and think, "Fine, you know what, I was on the fence about making sure the sick had care, but now that someone exaggerated in a Tweet, I want them to die now."

That's the heart of the difference.  Not everyone here is to propagandize and win over people.  Some come here to discuss the issues of the day and become informed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

That's the heart of the difference.  Not everyone here is to propagandize and win over people.  Some come here to discuss the issues of the day and become informed.

What you're doing is accepting the right-wing framing of the issue as the objective framing of the issue and shaming others for not adopting the right-wing frame.

To quote you, yourself, here are the two frames in your mind:

" . . . or clear so we know whether he is talking about reducing insurance coverage or putting gimpy kids in front of firing squads."

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 4

My first thought on number 4 was immigration/racism.   Another way to say depleting the strength of the "lesser" people.   Not sure why that came across that way, but it did.

However if you have a preexisting condition, doesn't that legitimately disable you in one way?   Removing those people from the healthcare rolls is virtually sending many of them to an early death?  That would be eradicating, right?  Same goes for mental health care.  That gets a lot of lip service, but little movement. 

It's not as immediate as Vlad Tepes or Hitler and death squads.  But if you ignore the people who need some sort of healthcare to the point of not helping them get that care, then it will be just as effective. 

Statement 4 brings to mind firing squads, but in effect, by withholding government aid for those who need it, refusing to fix the healthcare system, we are talking death panels manned by those who make such decisions.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What is ridiculous about it?  

It amazes me how comfortable we’ve become with fascism.

The President is sending a battalion to the border for a fictional threat manufactured by defacto state propaganda, just to retain power.

If Obama had...(head explodes)

Its hyperbole and makes it difficult to accept other legitimate criticisms.

• Like 1

This week the president has committed at least two (probably more) "high crimes," and they're not getting more than a shrug.  He violated the first amendment, threatening to pull credentials of journalists' whose coverage is negative. And he is commandeering the military for political purposes, sending more troops than are in Afghanistan to the border in a purely political ploy before the election.

And we're already acting like this is normal behavior.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

This week the president has committed at least two (probably more) "high crimes," and they're not getting more than a shrug.  He violated the first amendment, threatening to pull credentials of journalists' whose coverage is negative. And he is commandeering the military for political purposes, sending more troops than are in Afghanistan to the border in a purely political ploy before the election.

And we're already acting like this is normal behavior.  

Tuesday will decide if it is truly normalized or not.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hate to be Debbie Downer and I will certainly celebrate if the blue wave is for real but regardless of the outcome of the election, we are headed for a very dark year in America, at least in my lifetime. 

3 minutes ago, retread said:

The House can investigate all they want. If the Rs hold the Senate, there will be no repercussions for DOTUS' insane actions after the midterms.tenor.gif

Both correct.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Or that it leaves the Dems devastated and reduced to becoming a permanent vilified radical progressive fringe.

The House can investigate all they want. If the Rs hold the Senate, there will be no repercussions for DOTUS' insane actions after the midterms.tenor.gif

So why has Devin Nunes gone through all the trouble of sandbagging the House investigation? My guess is that stuff will get real when a real congressional investigation commences.

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

So why has Devin Nunes gone through all the trouble of sandbagging the House investigation? My guess is that stuff will get real when a real congressional investigation commences.

It's real Congressional investigation and/or indictments stemming from the Mueller tree that envelop GOP members in House and Senate (taking laundered rubles and beneficiaries of RU hacking).  It's easy to dismiss until it happens, but even absent 2/3 in Senate to convict, there's some potential to radically alter how the machine works.  Lots of GOP Senate seats exposed 24 months from now.  So much hinges on a Dem controlled House to begin a correction.  If Senate continues on their tack in spite of lots of disinfecting sunshine, it will be a GOP wipeout in 2020.  I still hold the opinion that there exists a 'catastrophic revelation threshold' that renders previous math obsolete.  I do feel somewhat embarrassed saying that, but less so when Trump reminds us daily of how fucking criminally insane he is.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I still hold the opinion that there exists a 'catastrophic revelation threshold' that renders previous math obsolete.  I do feel somewhat embarrassed saying that, but less so when Trump reminds us daily of how fucking criminally insane he is.

Could you describe this ruckus sir?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Could you describe this ruckus sir?

Seems like it would be challenging to ignore a Mueller report with a mountain of supporting evidence and financial records that concludes Trump is an unregistered foreign agent working on behalf of the Kremlin and/or other foreign governments (cough Saudi/Israel).

If something like that were to emerge.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Seems like it would be challenging to ignore a Mueller report with a mountain of supporting evidence and financial records that concludes Trump is an unregistered foreign agent working on behalf of the Kremlin and/or other foreign governments (cough Saudi/Israel).

Well, there would be the not insignificant hurdle of distilling that information down into a couple of soundbites so the average voter could understand what has been going on.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

My point was about voting and the effect on political parties. 

You seem to be very, very out of the loop regarding our current political process.

1 hour ago, retread said:

There is no way the fire isn't going to keep growing.  Trump himself keeps fueling it.   The more he is investigated, the loonier his words and actions.  At some point people will start to turn on him.   The issue is going to be who will turn and who will stick with him and go down with the USS Trump, like rats on a ship? 

But yeah, it's going to get a lot darker before we reach that.   How fast though?   Once midterms are done, I think he starts going full speed ahead, doing as much damage as he can before he gets relieved or tossed overboard.   I really don't see him lasting to make a decent run at 2020.  He will want to, his deluded mind will tell him he is a lock for it, but he will long have already trampled his mushroom to be taken seriously.