Nikola Jokic deserves his own thread

Goo Punch

ok back to bitching: over the last several weeks I've repeatedly heard people say that, "Nikola Jokić is the best player in the world right now." they say it like that every time- "right now." as if today he's the best, but tomorrow or three weeks from now it could be someone else. 

they never said that about lebron. never. not once did anyone ever say, "lebron james is the best player in the world right now." they've said it about KD, Giannis, Harden, Embiid, and a couple others over the years. and now jokic is in that group, despite being a demonstrably better/more dominant player for years now.

why is this still so hard for everyone? is it literally just because jokic isn't built like usain bolt? he doesn't run fast or jump high so we can't wrap our heads around the clear and obvious fact that Nikola Jokic is and has been the undisputed best player in basketball for years now? for about 99/100 basketball fans/watchers/pundits, apparently so.

oh well. 🤷🏼‍♂️ we've seen how this story goes. maybe if he wins the mvp and finals mvp again next year, maybe then we can start asking if he's the legit best player in the world. i wouldn't doubt any of that happening, from jokic do tj using to dominate, to people acting like his dominance is a revelation. 

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ok back to bitching: over the last several weeks I've repeatedly heard people say that, "Nikola Jokić is the best player in the world right now." they say it like that every time- "right now." as if today he's the best, but tomorrow or three weeks from now it could be someone else. 

they never said that about lebron. never. not once did anyone ever say, "lebron james is the best player in the world right now." they've said it about KD, Giannis, Harden, Embiid, and a couple others over the years. and now jokic is in that group, despite being a demonstrably better/more dominant player for years now.

why is this still so hard for everyone? is it literally just because jokic isn't built like usain bolt? he doesn't run fast or jump high so we can't wrap our heads around the clear and obvious fact that Nikola Jokic is and has been the undisputed best player in basketball for years now? for about 99/100 basketball fans/watchers/pundits, apparently so.

oh well. 🤷🏼‍♂️ we've seen how this story goes. maybe if he wins the mvp and finals mvp again next year, maybe then we can start asking if he's the legit best player in the world. i wouldn't doubt any of that happening, from jokic do tj using to dominate, to people acting like his dominance is a revelation. 

The biggest reason you hear it is because people who cover the NBA for a living can't be bothered to even watch Nuggets games.  Lisa Salters, I'm looking at you, but she's far from the only one.  When they don't watch him play, they aren't going to have strong feelings about his play.  And then they watch him in the playoffs and say "damn, he's really fucking good".

Edited by Chewbacca

18 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

He straight up doesnt want the attention...

He just wants to go home.  Like today.  One of his horses is racing on Sunday and he wants to be there.  I think he would skip the parade if the Nuggets would let him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Still pisses me off the people using his “lack of playoff success” as the reason they didn’t vote for him for repeat MVP this year (and last year). Dude’s always been a playoff monster, putting up absurd numbers. He’s just had absolutely no help, and he hasn’t had the luxury of playing in some of those LeBron Eastern conferences over the years. He’s almost always good for at least one series win, and, over the last 3 seasons, every team that he’s lost to in the playoffs has, at worst, made it to the Finals. Just a lazy argument.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Still pisses me off the people using his “lack of playoff success” as the reason they didn’t vote for him for repeat MVP this year (and last year). Dude’s always been a playoff monster, putting up absurd numbers. He’s just had absolutely no help, and he hasn’t had the luxury of playing in some of those LeBron Eastern conferences over the years. He’s almost always good for at least one series win, and, over the last 3 seasons, every team that he’s lost to in the playoffs has, at worst, made it to the Finals. Just a lazy argument.

he swept lebron and ad in the conference finals and the commentary on that has been *crickets*. 

people gotta realize- if you watch the tape from literally just game 5- it's impossible to deny what great shape jokic is in. first of all, people seem to always discount the fact that he plays at elevation. he has to be in greatshape just to play his usual minutes. but the when you watch how much effort he gives and how he's constantly moving, you have a whole new appreciation for his level of fitness. he's relentless. it doesn't matter that he looks more like arvydas than he does ben wallace- the guy started taking his health/weight seriously a couple years ago and today  he is in undeniably great shape because of it. don't bet against the fat boy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Haven't seen it posted anywhere yet but Jok's parade speech was short and hilarious. I'm paraphrasing, but he said "I didn't want to be at the parade, but now that I'm here, I fucking want to be at the parade".  Cracked my shit up.

Found it:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1669414176241098752?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1669414176241098752|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

people gotta realize- if you watch the tape from literally just game 5- it's impossible to deny what great shape jokic is in. first of all, people seem to always discount the fact that he plays at elevation. he has to be in greatshape just to play his usual minutes. but the when you watch how much effort he gives and how he's constantly moving, you have a whole new appreciation for his level of fitness. he's relentless. it doesn't matter that he looks more like arvydas than he does ben wallace- the guy started taking his health/weight seriously a couple years ago and today  he is in undeniably great shape because of it. don't bet against the fat boy. 

The trainer at my gym is a Lakers fan and during the WCF he said I looked like Jokic in the 4th quarter.  I told him I'll take that.  I might look gassed, but I'll keep going just like he does.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

I'm extremely happy for Jokic and the Nuggets. But most of all, I'm excited for the strength and conditioning coach.
My girlfriend played basketball at Northwestern Oklahoma State University in Alva, Oklahoma. She came from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Imagine growing up in Sao Paulo and moving to small town Alva for four years. Definite culture shock. A close Brazilian friend from Sao Paulo also got a basketball scholarship to NWOSU. He was a 6'10 kid named Felipe. The Brazilian community is extremely close, especially when they are attending tiny colleges like NWOSU. They became like brother and sister, always looking out for each other. 
After graduation, my girlfriend settled in Oklahoma City. Felipe pursued a career in training, relocated to Denver and was hired on by the Nuggets as Strength and Conditioning coach. Every time the Nuggets come to OKC, we pick him up at the hotel and go out for dinner. On a few occasions, a player will tag along. 
Let me tell you, Felipe is the most driven and intense person I've ever met. I remember one dinner we had early in the year when he looked me in the face and said 'What are your goals this year? What do you expect to accomplish in 2016?'  I was like, 'huh'? Felt like I was having dinner with Tony Robbins. I mentioned maybe wanting to lose some weight and he went on to spell out a weight loss program that could only be accomplished through hard work and discipline. I listened while enjoying my pepperoni pizza. 
When I clicked on ESPN a few weeks ago, the top story was about the relationship between Jokic and Felipe, how his S&C coach sat him down and told him he could be the best player in the NBA, the league MVP and NBA champion if he dedicated himself and worked hard. I could immediately picture Felipe telling Jokic every bit of what was written down. I believe every bit of that story. 
The son-of-a-gun actually did it. Through hard work and dedication, they actually pulled it off. He's achieved the American Dream. Can't wait to see the ring. 
A car ride and a Game 7 loss that activated Nikola Jokic into an MVP - ESPN

So, did you follow his program or nah?
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

It's just like when Goku was training on the Capsule Spaceship, he used a gravity machine to make his training much harder than it needed to be to reach higher power levels. Once he reached planet Namek, which had a much lower level of gravity, he was ready to rock and take down the Ginyu Force, turn Super Saiyan and eventually defeat Frieza. Jokic is basically the NBA equivalent of a Super Saiyan, and now he has all the trophies to show for it. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nikola came an assist away from his usual triple-double tonight. Otherwise, he was 14-of-16 from the floor, 2-of-2 from BTA, an awful 4-of-6 from the charity stripe, and only as many defensive rebounds (7) as he could muster on the offensive end.

All this against the heretofore unbeaten Mavericks.

I think he slackin'. Might have to bench him a few days to teach him a lesson.

Nikola came an assist away from his usual triple-double tonight. Otherwise, he was 14-of-16 from the floor, 2-of-2 from BTA, an awful 4-of-6 from the charity stripe, and only as many defensive rebounds (7) as he could muster on the offensive end.
All this against the heretofore unbeaten Mavericks.
I think he slackin'. Might have to bench him a few days to teach him a lesson.
Also known as the Sombor Double. He does that a lot.