Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

2 minutes ago, wood said:

That makes more sense, but that's not what the young lady in the video seemed to be saying.

Yea I’m not sure if she just isn’t phrasing properly or doesn’t really understand the message or what. But defund then police had nothing to do with abolishing police. It does mean fewer resources and less of the bullshit that police do that actually causes more problems than good. Stop and frisk, broken windows policing, rip and runs, etc. None of that shit works to prevent or deter crime in any meaningful way and in some cases has been shown to lead to increases in crime. 

18 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Police forces that aren’t incredibly militarized and better funding for other societal needs like schools

@LebongJames Why the neg rep for this post? I don’t care about internet points but if you’d like to discuss the positives and negatives of police funding we can certainly do that. I’m all ears.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This makes sense to me and is what I had figured was meant by "defund the police", and then I saw the videos of that scene. He talks about extensive reform, but that's not enough for the speaker or the crowd.

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I’m not sure if she just isn’t phrasing properly or doesn’t really understand the message or what. But defund then police had nothing to do with abolishing police. It does mean fewer resources and less of the bullshit that police do that actually causes more problems than good. Stop and frisk, broken windows policing, rip and runs, etc. None of that shit works to prevent or deter crime in any meaningful way and in some cases has been shown to lead to increases in crime. 

Yeah when I saw the "Police Abolition Now" signs and heard her talking about not wanting any more police, period, etc, it was kinda confusing. This video has much better sound (the second one). I have no knowledge of this source or his politics, other than him being conservative. Don't shoot the messenger. The audio is just clearer...

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

This makes sense to me and is what had figured was meant by "defund the police", and then I saw the videos of that scene. He talks about extensive reform, but that's not enough for the speaker or the crowd.

Yeah when I saw the "Police Abolition Now" signs and heard her talking about not wanting any more police, period, etc, it was kinda confusing. This video has much better sound (the second one). I have no knowledge of this source or his politics, don't shoot the messenger. The audio is just clearer...

Yea abolishing police is frankly dumb. Now I am certainly not one who thinks we need as many police as we have but they are a necessary component of a free society. We don’t need more people writing jay walking tickets and the like. We don’t need more military equipment. Police are notoriously bad at solving violent crimes so I would argue that their funding should be much more focused on better training, more resources to help actually solve violent crimes, etc. 

Im not sure which poster said it yesterday so apologies for borrowing but I thought it was pretty on point. 

“Defunding the police seems crazy until you realize we’ve been defunding schools for decades”

• Like 3

I feel that it is ignorant to say we need to defund police departments and that they are militarized. On a day to day basis our police do work that is extremely risky. Cutting huge chunks from police budgets without any real reform will just cause more issues. Cops that are over worked and over stressed, that leads to worse decision making. State and local budgets don’t work like that. They aren’t going to take $150 million from LAPD and give it to public schools.

The protesters also aren’t calling for reform they are calling for abolishing police departments. The guardian can say one thing but that is not the message the protesters are using.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I feel that it is ignorant to say we need to defund police departments and that they are militarized. On a day to day basis our police do work that is extremely risky. Cutting huge chunks from police budgets without any real reform will just cause more issues. Cops that are over worked and over stressed, that leads to worse decision making. State and local budgets don’t work like that. They aren’t going to take $150 million from LAPD and give it to public schools.

The protesters also aren’t calling for reform they are calling for abolishing police departments. The guardian can say one thing but that is not the message the protesters are using.

There is nothing ignorant about saying police departments are militarized.

What if I told you studies have shown that militarized police have no effect on officer or community safety? 
https://www.princeton.edu/news/2018/08/21/militarization-police-fails-enhance-safety-may-harm-police-reputation

No one is saying they should cut budgets and not reform. At all. In fact everyone is saying they should cut budgets as part of massive police reform so I’m not sure what you’re even arguing there.

And you say they aren’t going to take that money and spend it on schools? Yea that’s kinda part of the problem isn’t it. 

I can send you hundreds of articles that about defunding police that existed long before this particular incident. You seem to think the defund the police idea just became a thing when it’s been discussed by those seeking reform for probably a couple decades at this point.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

There is nothing ignorant about saying police departments are militarized.

What if I told you studies have shown that militarized police have no effect on officer or community safety? 
https://www.princeton.edu/news/2018/08/21/militarization-police-fails-enhance-safety-may-harm-police-reputation

No one is saying they should cut budgets and not reform. At all. In fact everyone is saying they should cut budgets as part of massive police reform so I’m not sure what you’re even arguing there.

And you say they aren’t going to take that money and spend it on schools? Yea that’s kinda part of the problem isn’t it. 

I can send you hundreds of articles that about defunding police that existed long before this particular incident. You seem to think the defund the police idea just became a thing when it’s been discussed by those seeking reform for probably a couple decades at this point.

And gun sales will skyrocket as will vigilantly justice.  Defunding will lead to worse policing. More money is needed for better training (not Tanks and Humvees) Two officers per car and getting rid of overtime. No one works worth a shit with a 60hr week. No more moonlighting. 

Hell, buy some E-RADs for crowd dispersement like the Sea Sheppards.   

The rest needs to be accountability related. Spend money on independent prosecutors for law enforcement. Mandatory body cams and required storage etc. 

Then reign in the police unions and their unchecked power. One of the big issues. 

The rich can afford to privately protect themselves and neighborhoods. The poor will disproportionately suffer, and private companies will continue or accelerate their avoidance of those areas. We need more private investment in those areas, not less. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, wood said:

This makes sense to me and is what I had figured was meant by "defund the police", and then I saw the videos of that scene. He talks about extensive reform, but that's not enough for the speaker or the crowd.

Yeah when I saw the "Police Abolition Now" signs and heard her talking about not wanting any more police, period, etc, it was kinda confusing. This video has much better sound (the second one). I have no knowledge of this source or his politics, other than him being conservative. Don't shoot the messenger. The audio is just clearer...

Poor Jacob's wokeness only took him so far.

He got it to the 1 inch line with four downs to get it accross but female Stonie Clark shut his shit the fuck DOWN!!!

Added bonus:  He's got the Covid now after she spit all over him from the podium.  About 20 of 'em do.  HOLLA!!!

Edited by Cajun

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And gun sales will skyrocket as will vigilantly justice.  Defunding will lead to worse policing. More money is needed for better training. Two officers per car and getting rid of overtime. No one works worth a shit with a 60hr week. No more moonlighting. 

Hell, but some E-RADs for crowd dispersement like the Sea Sheppards.   

The rest needs to be accountability related. Spend money on independent prosecutors for law enforcement. Mandatory body cams and required storage etc. 

What happens when (it's not an "if", it's a "when") decides to start sniping protesters from some well placed hides around XYZ metroplex?  No easy clues, no obvious suspects, just dead people holding signs with exit wounds the size of grapefruits.

Who's gonna investigate, pursue, and arrest the nutter?

Community police?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

What happens when (it's not an "if", it's a "when") decides to start sniping protesters from some well placed hides around XYZ metroplex?  No easy clues, no obvious suspects, just dead people holding signs with exit wounds the size of grapefruits.

Community police?

Superheroes of course.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And gun sales will skyrocket as will vigilantly justice.  Defunding will lead to worse policing. More money is needed for better training. Two officers per car and getting rid of overtime. No one works worth a shit with a 60hr week. No more moonlighting. 

Hell, buy some E-RADs for crowd dispersement like the Sea Sheppards.   

Then reign in the police unions and their unchecked power. One of the big issues. 

The New York police department alone has a budget of 6 billion dollars. That’s larger than the GDP of 50 countries. Studies have shown over and over that more police do not lead to less crime or violence. Often times it’s the exact opposite.

I would love some accountability related measures but frankly that’s only a small piece of the problem. The problem is how we police in this country. We have cut services and increased budgets for police and in turn we have given them responsibility for things they have no business dealing with. Mental health problems, domestic issues, etc. are all things police are not qualified to handle but we expect them to. We could be smart and direct funding to things that help improve our police interaction with the community or prevent their interactions at all but we don’t. We buy more tanks, more guns, etc.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Community police?

Are you under the impression that police solve violent crimes? Because if so you clearly do not understand what they are good at and what they are not.

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely. But since they do it all on paper and just numbers on a screen moving around, no one gives a shit and even further, most people will say "well that's just how business goes". So fucking brainwashed. 

As through this world I've traveled

I've seen lots of crooked men

Some will rob you with a six-gun

Some with a fountain pen

• Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Are you under the impression that police solve violent crimes? Because if so you clearly do not understand what they are good at and what they are not.

I would say the threat of being investigated and caught certainly acts a deterrent.  How big of one is up for debate but it's certainly there.  Get rid of police, as his scenario implies, and shit can get ugly real quickly, from both sides.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The New York police department alone has a budget of 6 billion dollars. That’s larger than the GDP of 50 countries. Studies have shown over and over that more police do not lead to less crime or violence. Often times it’s the exact opposite.

I would love some accountability related measures but frankly that’s only a small piece of the problem. The problem is how we police in this country. We have cut services and increased budgets for police and in turn we have given them responsibility for things they have no business dealing with. Mental health problems, domestic issues, etc. are all things police are not qualified to handle but we expect them to. We could be smart and direct funding to things that help improve our police interaction with the community or prevent their interactions at all but we don’t. We buy more tanks, more guns, etc.

Do they have their budget broken down online somewhere?  I’d like to know what is spent on pensions, overtime and military equipment in particular. 

And Amen to mental health. A break off and separate entity for dealing with mental health would go a long way  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Do they have their budget broken down online somewhere?  I’d like to know what is spent on pensions, overtime and military equipment in particular. 

And Amen to mental health. A break off and separate entity for dealing with mental health would go a long way  

I tried to find an individual budget breakdown but I don’t think they make it public. Could only find the budget breakdown for NYC. And I agree those are also part of the problem. I simply think we should take their funding, which is clearly too high relative to other social services, and use it for things that yield better results.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I would say the threat of being investigated and caught certainly acts a deterrent.  How big of one is up for debate but it's certainly there.  Get rid of police, as his scenario implies, and shit can get ugly real quickly, from both sides.

We know for a fact that increasing punishment does not deter crime. There isn’t any data on the threat of being investigated though.

But yet again, this isn’t about getting rid of police. It’s about changing the way we police and what they are used for. Defunding police is about using those resources more effectively to help the community so we can prevent the need for people to get arrested. It’s focused on root cause issues not simply burn it all down.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Yeah, yeah, I get the message, but it was the National Guard who stopped to render aid as the police marched by.

It's because many in the NG realize they are actual citizens (the whole citizen-soldier thing) while some cops put some kind of line between themselves and the people who pay their salaries.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Don’t forget....simply ending the war on drugs would get us 80% of the way to solving all of these problems. They wouldn’t need as much money, we wouldn’t need as much jail space, they wouldn’t have probably cause to search everyone and everything....one step, with a thousand benefits.

100%. Personal drug use should also be legal in this country.

• Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

We know for a fact that increasing punishment does not deter crime. There isn’t any data on the threat of being investigated though.

But yet again, this isn’t about getting rid of police. It’s about changing the way we police and what they are used for. Defunding police is about using those resources more effectively to help the community so we can prevent the need for people to get arrested. It’s focused on root cause issues not simply burn it all down.

Understood, but I think his hypothetical was about abolishing the cops, which some of the protestors were clearly advocating, at least in the boy mayor video.  

I don't think anyone is saying reform isn't needed but abolishing the police, as some protestors (not you) seem to be advocating is just asinine.  I don't need a study to show that crime will increase then.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

For non lethal crowd control, why not skunk spray?  Smells like shit and leaves a lasting impression. 

This... this is a damned fine idea. Those of us dwelling in rural (in my case, remote) areas and owning a dog or four will be on board, 100%.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's because many in the NG realize they are actual citizens (the whole citizen-soldier thing) while some cops put some kind of line between themselves and the people who pay their salaries.

That and they literally are held to a higher standard, with no union to protect them from their wrongdoings. The Coast Guard has been carrying guns and other weapons for how long? How many reports have we seen of CG brutality? The warzone infractions of other branches are in a completely different environment, which has its own psychological causation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

That and they literally are held to a higher standard, with no union to protect them from their wrongdoings. The Coast Guard has been carrying guns and other weapons for how long? How many reports have we seen of CG brutality? The warzone infractions of other branches are in a completely different environment, which has its own psychological causation.

80s?

49981460397_04ae91681e.jpg

49980684893_275a0b3977_n.jpg

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have actually heard a cop say that they are the only thing protecting the citizens from the monsters out there. I think a lot of them truly believe that and have a very warped view of their role in life

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Community police?

No, I believe that would be the job of internal affairs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

All this talk of demilitarization of the police force. If only cops were held as accountable and disciplined as harshly as those in the military.

When I was in, it was drilled over and over into your head that if you fuck up something that was preventable, you are going to get reamed out 10 different ways.  And depending on how long you've been in and how big the fuckup is, you could have your career ended.  

We see Navy and Air Force officers who have been in for quite a while, have solid records, and they fuck up something fundamental to their responsibilities (say nukes in the Air Force, ships in the Navy, or even something like adultery) and then boom, their careers are over.  We see Army soldiers who murder civilians end up in prison.  We constantly see military officers being the equivalent of fired when their superiors lose faith in them.

There was no union bending over backwards to make sure those people were bridged to their retirement/pensions, and that their pensions were protected, even if they didn't appear to be eligible on paper.

There was no going to another military service when you got booted out of one, unlike cops going to different departments when they get fired or have to resign in disgrace.

And the military has a mechanism for booting you out if you aren't up to standards, and things that you fucked up don't just drop off your records over time.  Meanwhile, many cops get their internal records expunged of complaints and the like every so many years (saw in Minneapolis that it happened with Chauvin).

If you fuck up, there was no union to come in and tell the NCOs and officers above you to "fuck off, you can't punish him" and said union proceeds to go to the local media telling them how the NCOs and officers above you are shitheads and you are an amazing human being who is "only trying to get him to his family."  

This is more for the improve the police thread, but all of the problems I keep seeing with these cops all seem to come back to the unions being too powerful and being able to protect their members from reform and punishment.     They are acting far too heavy-handed, and we are seeing this across the country, and they can lean on elected officials and threaten to slow down responses, because they've developed an arrogance that ignores who their employers actually are.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 4

Suspend your sense of reality for a moment.  Imagine if, when contracts came up, there was no raise because the police department had been acting like shitheads and murdered a few people, and that benefits were cut because the city had to pay out millions in lawsuits.  Imagine that the cops take the loss, rather than whine and strike as a union.

Imagine at the next meeting after contract negotiations, the union/police chiefs said "hey folks, we aren't getting a raise, and we are losing some benefits because Officers Billy Smith over here and Dan Jackson over there murdered somebody, and oh, Officer Jim Deacon there in the back of the room beat the shit out of somebody for no reason, while he was being filmed, and so now the city is having to pay out millions.  So you can thank Officers Smith, Jackson, and Deacon for no pay raises and a cut in benefits."

spacer.png

For non lethal crowd control, why not skunk spray?  Smells like shit and leaves a lasting impression. 
Do you have any idea how many skunks you'd hafta milk for that? Great concept, but impractical with today's technology.

Re: Mayor Frey's walk of shame, I definitely interpreted their demands as a total disolution of the Mlps PD. That'd be a disaster of course, but a ctl-alt-del is doable, and good. Do it by district over 3 years or so. And fund neighborhood watches. Local volunteers (similar to regular volunteer fire departments and EMT's in rural areas) with flashlights and radios. Let them stroke their internal "Karens." A person policing his/her own neighborhood isn't gonna be so racist, and a ne'r do good called out by a local Karen is inclined to be shamed into behaving.
  • Like 1

Just now, Parliament said:

Do you have any idea how many skunks you'd hafta milk for that? Great concept, but impractical with today's technology.

Re: Mayor Frey's walk of shame, I definitely interpreted their demands as a total disolution of the Mlps PD. That'd be a disaster of course, but a ctl-alt-del is doable, and good. Do it by district over 3 years or so. And fund neighborhood watches. Local volunteers (similar to regular volunteer fire departments and EMT's in rural areas) with flashlights and radios. Let them stroke their internal "Karens." A person policing his/her own neighborhood isn't gonna be so racist, and a ne'r do good called out by a local Karen is inclined to be shamed into behaving.

We have plenty of people needing employment.....and you can milk anything with nipples. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Message Board User said:

Actually, they do.  Just watch the video.

Again that is missing the broader point and her point. She says ‘we don’t want no more police, we don’t want people with guns in our neighborhoods killing us’. Her point isn’t about getting rid of all police. It sounds that way in that moment but that’s a snippet from a protest. The idea is this, police do the work they actually are capable of doing and are good at. Other entities are in the neighborhoods actually helping with the problems. That’s the point. Police don’t help the community with the problems they are tasked with. Police can’t handle drug users, or mental health patients. They can handle actual crime instead of doing rip and runs that solve nothing.

And more importantly, her one voice doesn’t speak for an entire movement about defunding police. Defund the police is not new. It has been studied for the last couple decades as a way to reform the way we police in this country. You can simply write them all off because of one lady at a protest or you can look into the actual issue and what thought leaders are saying.

Maybe she’s just a bad apple...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

This is more in line with the idea.

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

If you adopt a slogan (say, for instance, Defund the Police), and then immediately after the slogan you need to say "Well, what we actually mean is this...", then it's a shitty slogan that can and will be used by your enemies.

So tell me when did “defund” and “abolish“ take on the same meaning? Sounds like the enemies should look up what words actually mean.

And I don’t think “drastically reduce police funding in favor of better programs that prevent violence and help communities” is quite as catchy.

Edited by hobbes2702

Agreed on the slogan. 

To say cops don’t help the community with the problems that are tasked with is a ridiculous statement. They go on thousands of calls a month were they absolutely de escalate the situation and solve the problem they were called their for. 

People don’t want cops until they need cops. 

Edited by LebongJames
  • Like 1

Just now, LebongJames said:

Agreed on the slogan. 

To say cops don’t help the community with the problems that are tasked with is a ridiculous statement. They go on thousands of calls a month were they absolutely de escalate the situation and solve the problem they were called their for. 

People don’t want cops until they cops. 

I'll take no cops for $1000, Alex

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

So tell me when did “defund” and “abolish“ take on the same meaning? Sounds like the enemies should look up what words actually mean.

So if I want to defund a public sector entity(which depends on taxpayer funds) what will happen to that entity?  we know what they mean when they say defund.

Guys, this is a great conversation, and I gotta say, it's been great reading it and seeing posts without partisanship or personal attacks, but there's a thread on how to fix the police, this thread is for current events and news. Thanks

2 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Agreed on the slogan. 

People don’t want cops until they need cops. 

That’s great and all but when your fuckup involves murder it tends to overshadow good work. It also paints a picture that they are poorly equipped to deal with the situations they are placed in. Mainly because it’s not the job of police to deal with those things. They simply aren’t qualified. And the whole “people don’t want cops until they need them” if the stupidest shit ever to be honest. I don’t want chemo until I need it. That doesn’t mean I should take chemo to treat my head cold.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

So if I want to defund a public sector entity(which depends on taxpayer funds) what will happen to that entity?  we know what they mean when they say defund.

They will have less money and we will have better results because we spend that money more effectively. Again you could say “decrease funding for police” but that’s not exactly a sound bite. You are upset about the semantics rather than the point. Are there people who don’t want police at all? Sure but that’s more fringe than you make it out to be. Hell @immortal13 doesn’t want police at all and from my memory he isn’t a liberal.

Well then maybe you should take them at their word. There’s plenty of information about the defund the police “movement”, for lack of a better word, that you can find. Research, data, solutions, etc. that is specifically about massive reforms and changing police. Not abolishing them.

Edited by hobbes2702

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s great and all but when your fuckup involves murder it tends to overshadow good work. It also paints a picture that they are poorly equipped to deal with the situations they are placed in. Mainly because it’s not the job of police to deal with those things. They simply aren’t qualified. And the whole “people don’t want cops until they need them” if the stupidest shit ever to be honest. I don’t want chemo until I need it. That doesn’t mean I should take chemo to treat my head cold.

That’s a really one sided view of what our police forces do. I feel that cop murdered Floyd and others have as well but that doesn’t completely devalue what the other men and women do on a daily basis.

Have you ever needed the police? Have you had a friend or family member be the victim of a violent crime? Have you had personal property stolen from you? 

Get the fuck out of here with your completely one sided view of the world of police are bad and do no good.

Edited by LebongJames
  • Like 1