Defund the Police

406W30th

Cops donated to Rittenhouse's defense:

A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans.

In many of these cases, the donations were attached to their official email addresses, raising questions about the use of public resources in supporting such campaigns.

The breach, shared with journalists by transparency group Distributed Denial of Secrets, revealed the details of some donors who had previously attempted to conceal their identities using GiveSendGo’s anonymity feature, but whose identifying details the website preserved.

The beneficiaries of donations from public officials include Kyle Rittenhouse, who stands accused of murdering two leftwing protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, last August. Rittenhouse traveled from neighboring Illinois to, by his own account, offer armed protection to businesses during protests over the police shooting of Jacob Blake.

Rittenhouse, who became a cause célèbre across conservative media throughout late 2020, and was even supported by then president Donald Trump, held a fundraiser on GiveSendGo billed as a contribution to his legal defense. According to data from the site, he raised $586,940 between 27 August last year and 7 January .

Among the donors were several associated with email addresses traceable to police and other public officials.

One donation for $25, made on 3 September last year, was made anonymously, but associated with the official email address for Sgt William Kelly, who currently serves as the executive officer of internal affairs in the Norfolk police department in Virginia.

That donation also carried a comment, reading: “God bless. Thank you for your courage. Keep your head up. You’ve done nothing wrong.”

The comment continued: “Every rank and file police officer supports you. Don’t be discouraged by actions of the political class of law enforcement leadership.”

Another Rittenhouse donor using an official email address was Craig Shepherd, who public records show is a paramedic in Utah. This donor gave $10 to Rittenhouse on 30 August.

Donations also came to Rittenhouse associated with official email addresses for Keith Silvers, and employee of the city of Huntsville, Alabama, and another $100 was associated with the official address of Michael Crosley, an engineer at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, a body which is charged with maintaining the US’s nuclear weapons stockpile.

Meanwhile, several Wisconsin police officers donated to a fundraiser, “Support Rusten Sheskey”, held for the Kenosha police department officer whose shooting of a black man, Jacob Blake, led to the protests that drew Rittenhouse to the city.

Two $20 donations to Sheskey’s fund were associated with email addresses of a pair of lieutenants in Green Bay, Wisconsin’s police department. One, given under the name, “GBPD Officer”, was tied to an address associated with Chad Ramos, a training lieutenant in the department; another anonymous donation was associated with Keith A Gehring, who is listed as a school resources officer lieutenant.

Another donation to Sheskey was associated with the official email address of officer Pat Gainer of the Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin police department. Given under the screen name “PPPD Motor 179”, the donation also carried the comment: “Stay strong brother.”

About 32 more donations, totaling more than $5,000, came to Sheskey from private email addresses associated with Kenosha officers, but under badge numbers rather than names.

More anonymous donations on the site came from city employees of Houston, Texas, who were objecting to the actions of the then police chief, Art Acevedo, who fired four Houston police officers after they shot and killed a man, Nicolas Chavez, who was on his knees, and in an apparent mental health crisis.

One anonymous donation of $100 was associated with the official address of that city’s fire chief, Samuel Peña, who has himself faced recent employee revolts over cost-cutting, but who has been publicly supportive of Acevedo, describing him in a tweet as a “brother & partner in Public Safety” in March, when Acevedo announced that he would be taking up an appointment as Miami’s chief of police.

Another anonymous donation of $400 was attributed in site data to an email linked to Chris Andersen and carried the comment: “I think that Chief Acevedo is part of the ‘unrecognized form of police corruption’ that Chris Anderson [sic] wrote about in his book’. Hang in there guys!!!”

Andersen’s book, The Sniper: Hunting A Serial Killer – A True Story, purports to tell the story of the hunt for a serial killer by Houston police at a time when “the United States was experiencing a wave of civil discontent regarding the unwarranted shootings (either true or perceived) of black men by law enforcement (the Black Lives Matter era)”.

In his Amazon bio, Andersen describes himself as a “39-year veteran of the Houston police department”, and as having worked in roles including homicide detective, supervising a Swat team and internal affairs.

In an email, the Green Bay police chief, Andrew Smith, wrote of the donations that “we are looking into the matter”, but added on Sheskey’s actions that his department “does not take a position on other agencies use of force”.

Lynda Seaver, director of public affairs at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, wrote in an email that Michael Crosley had made “an honest mistake”, and had “never intended to use his Lab email on this matter”.

All other agencies and individuals who were included in the Guardian’s reporting did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The Guardian previously reported on the use of the site for fundraising purposes for far-right groups like the Proud Boys, who have been banned from other crowdfunding platforms after violent incidents including the alleged participation of members of the group in an attack on the United States Capitol building on 6 January.

Fuck defunding police, just abolish them. 

• Rage+1 2

On 4/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

We're on the road to complete fascism.  The Republican party is in, 35% of the country is in and the cops are ALL in.  

It might be 5 or 25 years but it's coming. 

Spend some time in DT and you’ll see it more clearly. Little snowflakes over there really love them some cop murder. 

Wow, that's incredibly telling.  He's been a batshit crazy Baptist-Fundamentalist-Charismatist for most of his life.  But he's starting to act like an actual Christian in his later years and I applaud him for it.  If a man like that can find empathy and pragmatism and honesty in his 90's, there's hope for other MAQA nation folks.  He told Trump to stand-down on his lies about the stolen election, told his flock that Trump shouldn't run in 2024, has tacitly mumbled that maybe Trump is the Christian benchmark so many have made him out to be, and has now come around and realized the state using the police to physically harm people isn't probably what Jesus wants.  

Sure he said an asteroid was going to wipe us out if Trump wasn't elected, but hey---he's an analog crazy 90 year old trying to raise money in a digital age.  

He's trying to come to Jesus after just treating Christ as a moneymaking opportunity.  That's laudable.  Sadly, because of his age, most Trumpers will dismiss his comments about policing and the Donald as the half-witted commentary of a senile old man who doesn't understand the dangers police face getting home at night.  For instance, if someone who has no prior arrests of violent crimes and is going away from you...sure you could just go the other way to your family...or you could chase them down and murder them in cold blood for no reason.  But of course...doesn't unnecessary murder keep you from getting home on time?  I know the several times I've shot people to death, I'm so bogged down in paperwork and meetings with the union attorney...I'm lucky to be home by Kimmel.  

I didn't know where to put this. The search engine is sometimes borked so I didn't see a specific thread on the press other than the Active Measures/Disinfo thread and this is rather the opposite of that even though the outcome of disinfo is what has led to this. Perhaps we need a thread devoted specifically to the press in general (not Fox) and how they are being treated nationally and globally. It's not promising. They have their flaws but this trend is getting worse not better:

The governor spoke about the issue a year ago:

But it hasn't helped:

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I would really like it if the journalistic norm became hostility towards cops, but they are highly educated liberals so they will always love fascism at the end of the day.

I'm glad you brought that up. I cannot remember where I read it, but there was a discussion about the field and how difficult it is for people who do not come from a certain background to be supported, to break into the field, to be taken seriously, and to be promoted, or their perspective to be considered. I'm not talking about Andy Ngo; he calls himself a journalist but I do not believe the term 'hack' is misapplied in his case.

However, the field has undergone rapid change in some areas and is ossified in others. I disagree that all the journalists of today love fascism, I believe many, in their desire to get their info are willing to look aside or ignore it, however.

Attitudes change over time, IMO. I sure as heck don't look at the police the same way I have done in the past. When the police say, 'well he had a gun,' I no longer implicitly trust that is true. They are the ones who have the information that we, the public, are not allowed to receive until they have hours, days, weeks, to release it. So why should I believe them? It has been broken for a long time, that trust, I was too blind to see it.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
I should say, attitudes can change over time--obviously they can also become set in Redi-mix

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

When the police say, 'well he had a gun,' I no longer implicitly trust that is true.

Not only do I not trust that it's true, the other correct response is "so the fuck what?  Our leaders are telling us that "everyone can and SHOULD have a gun on them, at all times, wherever they go."  Our state leadership here is literally in the middle of passing a law to that effect.

"He had a gun" is an excuse to go after a citizen......almost always when that citizen has darker skin.  But when it's a white dude fully kitted up as if to break down doors in Fallujah.....just a citizen, exercising his second amendment rights.

The more "constitutional carry" laws we see, the more obvious the disparate treatment is going to be.

Patriots:

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Thugs:

r960-3a7f21a94dd3510c1a0621e638f43b96.jp

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

No context, but two videos with two different outcomes. Watch the second one far enough to see the punches to the head; I hate to say that, but Americans must not turn away. That first one though. He bumped that cop more than once, disobeyed more than once, just way way different outcome.

You people will not get an argument for me that there is a privilege with cops.

I once got out of a car to yell at a cop for pulling me over for speeding because I thought it was poor sportsmanship that he was in an all black car with no markings or lights, like 2 blocks from my neighborhood. I literally took a photo of license plate and asked for his badge number because I wanted to action on it and escalate this (later found out I was being stupid and there was nothing I could do except defensive driving).

I felt like a jerk afterwards when I told that story out loud. This was about last summer.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

On 4/19/2021 at 5:19 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I didn't know where to put this. The search engine is sometimes borked so I didn't see a specific thread on the press other than the Active Measures/Disinfo thread and this is rather the opposite of that even though the outcome of disinfo is what has led to this. Perhaps we need a thread devoted specifically to the press in general (not Fox) and how they are being treated nationally and globally. It's not promising. They have their flaws but this trend is getting worse not better:

The governor spoke about the issue a year ago:

But it hasn't helped:

hmm state control and shit. thought this was a big time no no for right leaning folks.  to their credit in the 'having a bad day' board they rightfully call out police brutality. need to self apply that now with the press. this shit is not good ^^

59 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

You people will not get an argument for me that there is a privilege with cops.

I once got out of a car to yell at a cop for pulling me over for speeding because I thought it was poor sportsmanship that he was in an all black car with no markings or lights, like 2 blocks from my neighborhood. I literally took a photo of license plate and asked for his badge number because I wanted to action on it and escalate this (later found out I was being stupid and there was nothing I could do except defensive driving).

I felt like a jerk afterwards when I told that story out loud. This was about last summer.

Nope.  We are told over in the DT threads that the reason for black people having more frequent negative encounters with cops is because black people live in, umm, high crime areas.  It has NOTHING to do with race, not at all.  

You need to read your memo.  I'm sure you were on the routing sheet.

On 4/12/2021 at 11:07 PM, Ted Lange said:

As are all the DT cowards that decry unions but suck off the police union 

Zero posters “suck off” the police union.  The fact is they question the value of all unions and point out the leftist hypocrisy in that regard.

No context, but two videos with two different outcomes. Watch the second one far enough to see the punches to the head; I hate to say that, but Americans must not turn away. That first one though. He bumped that cop more than once, disobeyed more than once, just way way different outcome.
[/url]  

My guess is they know that guy. That isn’t some regular white dude and I sure as shit wouldn’t get that treatment. We also get a video of the psycho cop shoot that young man in the hallway because the cop wanted to kill someone that day.

Had an unpleasant interaction with DPS a week or two ago.  Hispanic cop.  Dick. Head.  But I survived.   You want to know about white privilege?  My wife never even turned the truck off smfh (I didn’t realize until the end of stop). Dude was a dick but I never felt in danger. He was a bit edgy when he arrived and never came down from it. He told us why, and it makes a little sense. Apparently it’s a thing for smugglers to tint their windshields, whouda thunk it.  But back to the privilege.  As stated, wife has some good (really good) tint all around.  You can’t see a thing into the back, dude never asked us to roll them down, and there was 3 kids back there. Not sure that would have been the case otherwise.  

Oh yeah we were in the wrong for the ticket, so not why I’m calling him a dick, just random surliness. I mean he could have let us off with a warning so I wouldn’t have to get and get my shit fixed. Hell my brother and the judge are buddies so not even sure anything much will come from the actual ticket. I’m far from a blame every single fucking thing on systemic racism guy, but the shit is real yo. 

All that to say, it’s yes sir, no sir, etc like I was always taught.   Saw lights, pulled over off the highway and several feet off road. Flashers, (typically, wives thread) turn truck off and roll down the windows and wait. 

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not only do I not trust that it's true, the other correct response is "so the fuck what?  Our leaders are telling us that "everyone can and SHOULD have a gun on them, at all times, wherever they go."  Our state leadership here is literally in the middle of passing a law to that effect.

"He had a gun" is an excuse to go after a citizen......almost always when that citizen has darker skin.  But when it's a white dude fully kitted up as if to break down doors in Fallujah.....just a citizen, exercising his second amendment rights.

The more "constitutional carry" laws we see, the more obvious the disparate treatment is going to be.

Patriots:

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Thugs:

r960-3a7f21a94dd3510c1a0621e638f43b96.jp

Lol at the LV pattern. That’s cool. 

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Had an unpleasant interaction with DPS a week or two ago.  Hispanic cop.  Dick. Head.  But I survived.   You want to know about white privilege?  My wife never even turned the truck off smfh (I didn’t realize until the end of stop). Dude was a dick but I never felt in danger. He was a bit edgy when he arrived and never came down from it. He told us why, and it makes a little sense. Apparently it’s a thing for smugglers to tint their windshields, whouda thunk it.  But back to the privilege.  As stated, wife has some good (really good) tint all around.  You can’t see a thing into the back, dude never asked us to roll them down, and there was 3 kids back there. Not sure that would have been the case otherwise.  

Oh yeah we were in the wrong for the ticket, so not why I’m calling him a dick, just random surliness. I mean he could have let us off with a warning so I wouldn’t have to get and get my shit fixed. Hell my brother and the judge are buddies so not even sure anything much will come from the actual ticket. I’m far from a blame every single fucking thing on systemic racism guy, but the shit is real yo. 

All that to say, it’s yes sir, no sir, etc like I was always taught.   Saw lights, pulled over off the highway and several feet off road. Flashers, (typically, wives thread) turn truck off and roll down the windows and wait. 

They've been using that lame-ass excuse for 40 fucking years.  Damn near every car on the road has some kind of window tint applied.    Cops lie.  That's pretty much all they do, lie and shoot browns. 

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

They've been using that lame-ass excuse for 40 fucking years.  Damn near every car on the road has some kind of window tint applied.    Cops lie.  That's pretty much all they do, lie and shoot browns. 

Not talking about the brow.  Wife’s truck has legit tint on the windshield. Was a demo (we got it that way from dealer) and it’s spectacular.  But knew it wasn’t going to make it past the first inspection, you can’t see inside from the outside.  Was just hoping I could make it that long.   Fronts were over too much only got verbal on that.  

If you have a medical permission from your doctor (skin cancer-any of the three types), you can have tint but I don't know the specifics. Would still get pulled over, but is allowed. I've never done it, because I don't want the hassle and I work from home for the foreseeable future.

Y'all remember how RW folks were griping about masks during a global pandemic and saying "ooooo, we'll just call it a protest'" despite pictures showing that most protestors for justice were actually wearing masks, and most were peaceful, and left before curfew, and in spite of that--had to listen to the WhY No ArrEsts? even though over 14,000 people were arrested the last I checked.

So, protestors, I guess you just need to consider it a justice 'party.' and then the police will leave you alone.

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

What the actual fuck?

Protesting against police brutality and shootings: "Please, don't pepper spray me, don't strike my head with rubber bullets, arrest me for being a reporter..."

White people in Ohio causing mayhem: "Sorry for partying."

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not talking about the brow.  Wife’s truck has legit tint on the windshield. Was a demo (we got it that way from dealer) and it’s spectacular.  But knew it wasn’t going to make it past the first inspection, you can’t see inside from the outside.  Was just hoping I could make it that long.   Fronts were over too much only got verbal on that.  

you dont know the right inspectors 

I'm glad they're having less crime, and maybe they're only like 17th now in terms of violent police action on people of color, and I hope they continue to rebound their economy on the backs of tourism and beaches...but if you're a Floridian.....don't ever use the term 'stupid' to refer to people from states 'up north.'  It's just not a good look.  Yes, there are stupid people in every state, especially up north...but you're Florida.  Play up on your positives, okay? Nice beaches, good fishing, stuff for kids to do, the Keys, great cocaine, etc.  Don't get into a pissing contest over who is stupid and who is not stupid......'cause you lose that debate every fucking day.  You're literally the stupidest state, by far.  So stupid, you're fucking dangerous.  I lived there for 2+ years, it's not the humidity you feel overwhelming you...it's the stupidity.