Defund the Police

406W30th

So this weekend in Columbus there were over a thousand students drunk and out of control, overturning cars and nothing happens. Teenage girl in Columbus calls police for help due to abuse and is now deceased.
What is the point?

Cops can be very picky when it comes to the application of fatal force? Help me, I’m dense.

from that article

“The police are going to lie. I’m so thankful that someone from the family was actually on the scene,” Bryant said. “The police are going to lie. The police are going to cover up for themselves. They don't care. At this point, I feel like they’re just out to kill Black people. They’re not here to protect and serve. That isn’t happening. That’s been over a long time ago. They’re not here to protect and serve. They’re here to kill Black folks.”

NO COUNTRY FOR WHITE MEN

40 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

This happened at the same time as the verdict.

Jesus Christ. Have police somehow gotten worse as a result of their blue lives matter bullshit? It feels like murdering 16 year old black girls is a new thing for them but I don’t really know because they got away with so much shit for so long.

Yeah, we have a lot of work ahead of us.

No we don’t. Work implies that we can fix it. We can’t. Realize that law enforcement in this country views the rest of us with nothing but contempt. They are our superiors, and they can do whatever they want to us whenever they want. That’s what that look on Chauvin’s face, as he stayed on GF’s neck, said - fuck you, peasants.

Law enforcement in this country is irredeemable.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No we don’t. Work implies that we can fix it. We can’t. Realize that law enforcement in this country views the rest of us with nothing but contempt. They are our superiors, and they can do whatever they want to us whenever they want. That’s what that look on Chauvin’s face, as he stayed on GF’s neck, said - fuck you, peasants.

Law enforcement in this country is irredeemable.

Take away qualified immunity and start getting the judgements out of the pension funds and then let's talk.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Jesus Christ. Have police somehow gotten worse as a result of their blue lives matter bullshit? It feels like murdering 16 year old black girls is a new thing for them but I don’t really know because they got away with so much shit for so long.

No, they’re pretty much the same as they’ve always been. It’s just caught on video now. I can’t remember all the names of unarmed black men, women, and children who’ve been gunned down by the cops just since the murder of George Floyd let alone in the past decade or more. Andre Hill was one.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

This happened at the same time as the verdict.

Already released the body cam footage.  Looks like the one of the girls (and victim) had a knife.

Here's the partial footage.  Full footage expected tomorrow.  

It's become painfully obvious that one of the biggest changes needed is most patrol/beat officers don't need to be carrying lethal firearms.  Not saying the couldn't have access for extreme cases but pepper spray, taser, and maybe rubber bullets or something would be best.  It may go a long way towards curbing fatalities at the hands of the police.

• Like 1

Video of the c-bus situation is rough, linked below. the Twitter descriptions aren’t exactly describing the moment when shots rang out, shocking I know. Shooting Victim is in a girl brawl fumbling around front yard as cop rolls up. Victim gets up and looks like she’s in the process of driving a knife into the gut of her wrestling buddy... if she delivers the blow and her victim dies from the stab, then wtf. I suppose the issue will be lethal vs non lethal force and the fact he fired 4x, but damn this one is shitty and based on this singular video alone I would have difficulty holding it over the cops head given the other girls life was in danger. And no, I’m not from Texags.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, bluto said:

Video of the c-bus situation is rough, linked below. the Twitter descriptions aren’t exactly describing the moment when shots rang out, shocking I know. Shooting Victim is in a girl brawl fumbling around front yard as cop rolls up. Victim gets up and looks like she’s in the process of driving a knife into the gut of her wrestling buddy... if she delivers the blow and her victim dies from the stab, then wtf. I suppose the issue will be lethal vs non lethal force and the fact he fired 4x, but damn this one is shitty and based on this singular video alone I would have difficulty holding it over the cops head given the other girls life was in danger. And no, I’m not from Texags.

Yea agree with you on your analysis here, but Nobody has an appetite for nuance or looking at things at a case by case basis when it comes to blacks being shot by cops in 2021 except for potentially the most extreme examples.

We are at a point in America where police oughta read the room and over-rotate on not shooting black people, even if they are engaged in crime. It kinda sucks, especially for the victims of a crime, but the police made this bed and need to lie in it until there has been a change/reform.

8 hours ago, bluto said:

Based on what I see there, that looks justified to me.  Maybe there is more context, but that chick had her arm raised with a knife about to be plunged into someone’s back or neck and had already ignored repeated warnings to get down.  She’s literally maybe 1/10th of a second from inflicting a potentially mortal wound to the girl in pink.  There was hardly any time to begin with and certainly no time left to attempt anything short of deadly force.  

This is certainly not the same as George Floyd, and the headlines shouldn’t associate the two.

CA1-A3-DC6-9-F82-4-CE6-BC17-3-E27908555-

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No, they’re pretty much the same as they’ve always been. It’s just caught on video now. I can’t remember all the names of unarmed black men, women, and children who’ve been gunned down by the cops just since the murder of George Floyd let alone in the past decade or more. Andre Hill was one.

Wtf is this? Responding to a "disturbance" call of a man turning on and off an suv with guns drawn?  I'm not familiar with this shooting, but just based on what you've posted this seems particularly bad. Surprised it's not being talked about more

My apologies for posting the tweet (with the teen) w/o waiting for more information and jumping to conclusions based upon that. I still am confused why the most lethal weapon is the first one used, however, when the police have an arsenal of tools at their disposal.

• Hook 'Em 1

A knife is a deadly weapon and if you're coming at someone with a knife and a cop shoots you, that's on you. I find zero joy in it, but he's not supposed to just let someone get stabbed because there is systemic racism in America.

The girl is probably a victim of a series of different oppressions, but the reality is that she escalated with a deadly weapon and tried to kill someone in front of a cop screaming at her not to.

• Hook 'Em 4

Why pick the most absurd option? Cops need to do their job regardless of the political mood. They just need to follow their training and the law and check their asshole attitudes againts minorities or be purged out. This was an unfortunate incident and he seems to have followed protocol. He shot because someone's life was in imminent danger. I think this highlights how bringing cops to these situations should be questioned.

Why were the adults standing around when they saw the girls go into a Worldstar brawl? Didn't you notice the guy filming the fight? That asshole or  should have dropped his phone and grabbed the girl to stop her before she got to the knife and reminded the combatants that cops were there. Had some adult done more, maybe it wouldn't have escalated to where it did. Wielding a knife in front of a cop is a big no-no especially when you are a peep of color. 

If we can get to a different policing, then citizens need to step up. Maybe instead of cops, a counselor comes out to talk to the girl who makes the call for help and is the first responder with cops as back up. But family members need to drop their phones and pitch in to keep the peace. 

All the way around, this young gal was let down and now she is gone and everyone wants to point fingers instead of looking at their part in this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If someone is filming it for social media clout then they should get locked up just on principle. But they might be filming for evidence, which I understand.  Also, once a cop car rolls up my advice to anyone would be stop and stand quietly, so I'll probably stop trying to break up a fight as soon as I see the cop car. In fact, the only times I have had truly negative police interactions are times I didn't see them coming when trying to help out in a bad situation.

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

A knife is a deadly weapon and if you're coming at someone with a knife and a cop shoots you, that's on you. I find zero joy in it, but he's not supposed to just let someone get stabbed because there is systemic racism in America.

The girl is probably a victim of a series of different oppressions, but the reality is that she escalated with a deadly weapon and tried to kill someone in front of a cop screaming at her not to.

When I saw foster care kid, I knew this to be true. Oof.

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If someone is filming it for social media clout then they should get locked up just on principle. But they might be filming for evidence, which I understand.  Also, once a cop car rolls up my advice to anyone would be stop and stand quietly, so I'll probably stop trying to break up a fight as soon as I see the cop car. In fact, the only times I have had truly negative police interactions are times I didn't see them coming when trying to help out in a bad situation.

I went to the news/press briefing that had the body cam footage and  I didn't know that the knife wielder was right up on the other teen like that. Wow. As difficult as that was,  fortunate that no one else was hurt, and boy was he close when he fired.

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Take away qualified immunity and start getting the judgements out of the pension funds and then let's talk.

And fire/ sanction the leadership, like virtually every other organization does.  It happened under your watch...multiple times. Enjoy your unemployment/ jail time, bro.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My apologies for posting the tweet (with the teen) w/o waiting for more information and jumping to conclusions based upon that. I still am confused why the most lethal weapon is the first one used, however, when the police have an arsenal of tools at their disposal.

It’s all good.  Cops have lost the benefit of the doubt, and that’s on them.  Kudos for acknowledging when a knee jerk conclusion based on tweeted characterizations doesn’t hold up to more scrutiny.  If only more people in this country would do the same.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Goredho said:

It’s all good.  Cops have lost the benefit of the doubt, and that’s on them.  Kudos for acknowledging when a knee jerk conclusion based on tweeted characterizations doesn’t hold up to more scrutiny.  If only more people in this country would do the same.

Yeah I tend not to say anything quickly because I don't trust any of it. I am obviously way more sympathetic to the anti-cop side, but sometimes it's pretty obvious something is up with the woke reactionary Twitter crowd. This was one of those cases, so I kept my mouth shut until body cam footage showed up.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Based on what I see there, that looks justified to me.  Maybe there is more context, but that chick had her arm raised with a knife about to be plunged into someone’s back or neck and had already ignored repeated warnings to get down.  She’s literally maybe 1/10th of a second from inflicting a potentially mortal wound to the girl in pink.  There was hardly any time to begin with and certainly no time left to attempt anything short of deadly force.  

This is certainly not the same as George Floyd, and the headlines shouldn’t associate the two.

CA1-A3-DC6-9-F82-4-CE6-BC17-3-E27908555-

No warning shot?  It was a knife, not a gun that could be aimed at the officer.  Why not go for a leg instead of lethal shot in this instance?   Unless the mindset is to use the incident as just cause to exterminate another of the rabble.  

1 hour ago, slorch said:

And fire/ sanction the leadership, like virtually every other organization does.  It happened under your watch...multiple times. Enjoy your unemployment/ jail time, bro.

Leadership in uniforms and unions both.   I think the former's hands are often tied by the latter.

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

No warning shot?  It was a knife, not a gun that could be aimed at the officer.  Why not go for a leg instead of lethal shot in this instance?   Unless the mindset is to use the incident as just cause to exterminate another of the rabble.  

I don't think he should have fired a warning shot at all.  He needed to end the situation as quickly as he could to protect the girl in pink and he did.

I'm a very pro-reformation of the police.  But the idea that they can fire warning or non-lethal shots in a situation like the above is not realistic or responsible.  Bullets go somewhere.  A warning shot eventually hits something.  Bullets also don't kill or even incapacitate instantly, especially if someone is hopped up on adrenaline in a fight or flight type of situation.  An officer trying to hit a leg or something in that situation is a recipe for both those girls being dead.

That may be an unpopular opinion here, I dunno, but I think that cop deserves some kudos for having appropriate judgment, under duress and the training and preparedness necessary to end an attempted murder in progress.  It is not at all the same thing as what Derek Chauvin did to George Floyd.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea agree with you on your analysis here, but Nobody has an appetite for nuance or looking at things at a case by case basis when it comes to blacks being shot by cops in 2021 except for potentially the most extreme examples.

We are at a point in America where police oughta read the room and over-rotate on not shooting black people, even if they are engaged in crime. It kinda sucks, especially for the victims of a crime, but the police made this bed and need to lie in it until there has been a change/reform.

Oh what the fuck ever. The only people that have no appetite for nuance are the ones that think cops shooting minorities is no big deal. Pretty much everybody in this thread and the daily texan thread, including those who regularly question police conduct, are in agreement that this seemed justified. You'll always get the initial jump to conclusions crowd. But the question is what happens once more evidence is available. The story on this one is pivoting, as it rightly should. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Oh what the fuck ever. The only people that have no appetite for nuance are the ones that think cops shooting minorities is no big deal. Pretty much everybody in this thread and the daily texan thread, including those who regularly question police conduct, are in agreement that this seemed justified. You'll always get the initial jump to conclusions crowd. But the question is what happens once more evidence is available. The story on this one is pivoting, as it rightly should. 

Yea, I think I was wrong here. I assumed we as a society would over-rotate, because that's how pendulums work, but I think you are right and I was wrong. Good call out. Especially agree and like b-t's take on this page as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And kudos to news outlets for changing their headlines from "Columbus police shoot black teenager while Chauvin verdict read" to this...
Screen-Shot-2021-04-21-at-9-53-48-AM.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I tend not to say anything quickly because I don't trust any of it. I am obviously way more sympathetic to the anti-cop side, but sometimes it's pretty obvious something is up with the woke reactionary Twitter crowd. This was one of those cases, so I kept my mouth shut until body cam footage showed up.

That’s exactly where I am and was on this one. The fact pattern looked to have some moving parts, and it did. I didn’t come to any conclusion until I could get more clearly relevant info.

I’m no fan of the cops, but objective and reasonable standards should still exist. And by those, this was a justified - tragic, but justified - shooting.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s exactly where I am and was on this one. The fact pattern looked to have some moving parts, and it did. I didn’t come to any conclusion until I could get more clearly relevant info.

I’m no fan of the cops, but objective and reasonable standards should still exist. And by those, this was a justified - tragic, but justified - shooting.

maybe. we don't know what was happening before. 

we don't know the provenance of the knife, why it was there, or what was happening more generally. at first glance, it looks like the police made the right move, but could be that girl was defending herself or something. 

either way, it's pretty tragic.

maybe. we don't know what was happening before. 
we don't know the provenance of the knife, why it was there, or what was happening more generally. at first glance, it looks like the police made the right move, but could be that girl was defending herself or something. 
either way, it's pretty tragic.

Oh, I agree - that may make it even MORE tragic, if she was acting in self defense. But regardless of the reason, she was lunging at another person with a knife, in an instant. An officer can and should act to stop an imminent threat to human life. And that was the case here.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Warning shots and aiming for the leg isn't real life.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Even if you’re an extreme cynic (or conspiracy theorist, whichever) that theory doesn’t hold water. If you’re really trying to exterminate the rabble, you let her murder the other girl and THEN shoot her. 

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Chris Baker, KFAB conservative radio host in Omaha:

Subsequently deleted, and account removed from Twitter. KFAB is "reviewing."  Because, you know, there is a lot to read through and analyze. It takes time. 

Fuck Chris Baker.  Fuck KFAB.  Fuck KFAB's advertisers. 

Edited by Tuco

I'm with those of you saying Columbus girl was likely a justified shooting. I love how the body-cam worked and is out less than 24 hours later in a case that likely clears the cop. However, in bad shoots the body-cam wasn't turned on, or malfunctioned or the tape was stored too close to a magnet in the evidence room (man, I'm dating myself) and got erased.

Transparency is all we ask. I don't agree with Van Jones all the time. But he said something after the Chauvin verdict that I liked a lot. We're just asking for the cops to follow the law, nothing more. If they break the law, they need to be handled like the public when they get caught breaking the law. That's all we want.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm with those of you saying Columbus girl was likely a justified shooting. I love how the body-cam worked and is out less than 24 hours later in a case that likely clears the cop. However, in bad shoots the body-cam wasn't turned on, or malfunctioned or the tape was stored too close to a magnet in the evidence room (man, I'm dating myself) and got erased.

Transparency is all we ask. I don't agree with Van Jones all the time. But he said something after the Chauvin verdict that I liked a lot. We're just asking for the cops to follow the law, nothing more. If they break the law, they need to be handled like the public when they get caught breaking the law. That's all we want.

I'm landing here too, wrt the most recent shooting. It's terrible and tragic, but I don't think that cop had much choice. He could have tased her, but that may not have stopped her.

And I'm 100% in agreement about accountability. We're not asking for magic, just reason.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

And kudos to news outlets for changing their headlines from "Columbus police shoot black teenager while Chauvin verdict read" to this...

It'd be better if they just took "police say" out, here. "Police say" at this point essentially implies a lie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Wtf is this? Responding to a "disturbance" call of a man turning on and off an suv with guns drawn?  I'm not familiar with this shooting, but just based on what you've posted this seems particularly bad. Surprised it's not being talked about more

It’s crazy, isn’t it? And that came just a week or two after some unarmed kid was shot five times, four times in the back, as he was running into his house. I can’t remember his name. I’m sure there are a lot more shootings like that all over the country that we never hear about. 

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Not just holding a knife, but about to stab someone with it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

training cops to curve bullets like Angelina Jolie in that one movie so they can just shoot knives out of people's hands while driving down the street

Wait.....will this require all cops to look like Angelina Jolie?  Because....I'm listening.....