AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

On 9/25/2021 at 6:18 AM, Cody2422 said:

So is it just as interesting that in a school district without a mask mandate, rates of covid are nearly zero?  Think there is something in our water too?  

Probably.  Or maybe lack of reporting.  Maybe natural immunity is built up in your community.  Maybe the tooth fairy is real.  Who knows?

8 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Probably.  Or maybe lack of reporting.  Maybe natural immunity is built up in your community.  Maybe the tooth fairy is real.  Who knows?

When you see the wave but different places at the same time with radically different ways of dealing with it then end, then move on, I don’t know what to say but it’s pretty weird. 

On 9/25/2021 at 7:44 AM, Baboontyme said:

The CDC has obviously had some issues but this is interesting.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7039e1.htm?s_cid=mm7039e1_w

lol... reading their "crude analysis" and breakdown of school sizes and types it is as if they scoured the country to find a county that could show what they were looking for.

I am not sure where you are getting that from? Can you please elaborate? It seems pretty straightforward and absent of gotchas to me, even in re-reading it. Two biggest counties in the State that hold 75% of the State's population. Tiny percentage did not have data available and another tiny percentage had immediate outbreaks that likely did not originate in school so they weren't included. 

That study should be easy to repeat and should be repeated now that cases are going down.

If that 3.5x is true, we should see it again assuming no major policy changes.

Because the definition of "school outbreak" is shaky, the question should be "is a kid safer at school (mask or no mask) than out in public?" You'd really need to be diligent about contact tracing though and compare against community case rates.

We don't do that.

I have no idea how it works in Arizona, or TX. But it's very frustrating that the data has so many faults. Case in point, Michigan updates their school outbreak database every Monday at 3 PM. I was waiting to scope it. Lo and behold my wife's school is somehow not listed on this week's report. To recap, unmasked district, unmasked symptomatic Kindergartner came to school 2 weeks ago Wednesday, infected half the class and my (double vaxxed, double masked) wife, who then went on to infect both of the other Kindergarten teachers, one of whom also had her class shut down due to positive cases among the kids, and at least two other staff members. Oh and also obviously my kids, and my in laws who happened to stop by for a 5 minute visit the day she came home with the sniffles. Wife says they cook the books to make it look like the outbreak did not occur in school. I have no idea how they do that, I suppose the County does not follow up and contact trace the way they do in the County in which I reside. Or maybe they leave it up to the parents to contact the school and half of them don't do so. But yes it's somewhat maddening. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/17/texas-schools-covid-19-cases/

Less than two months into this school year, the number of reported coronavirus cases among students has surpassed the total from the entire 2020-21 school year. But state data on school cases is incomplete and likely an undercount.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:42 PM, smoky said:

It's all fun with numbers.

A lot of fun, so much fun we don't even know how much fun we are having (seriously, numbers people must be having a field day during the pandemic, with all of the requests for their expertise):

State data on school cases is incomplete and likely an undercount. TEA suppresses some districts’ case counts to protect student privacy, and not all districts report student and staff cases to the state, despite agency guidance requiring otherwise. The agency also retroactively updates its data from previous weeks as more districts report cases.

Some large districts, such as Houston and Dallas, have not consistently reported cases to the state since TEA started tracking COVID-19 data on Aug. 2 for this school year. Many districts publish a COVID-19 dashboard that shows cases, and TEA recommends families check for the latest data there.

Entire districts, including Angleton and Lumberton, have closed temporarilywithout reporting cases to the state. These districts don’t necessarily report their closures, either, since they are not required to do so. TEA informally tracks closures based on media and district reports, said Frank Ward, an agency spokesperson.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/round-rock-isd-leander-isd-parents-meet-to-pursue-legal-action-against-school-district-board-members/

Parents from the Round Rock and Leander Independent School Districts met at Williamson County Justice Center Tuesday morning to discuss possible legal actions against their school districts’ Board of Trustees and their decisions to approve school mask requirements.

RRISD parent Michelle Evans said they wanted to meet with County Attorney Dee Hobbs to pursue criminal charges against board members and discuss the rights of parents during school board public meetings. They instead spoke to an assistant at the Williamson County Attorney’s Office. 

“What’s important is that we continue to push for representation,” Evans said. “To push that [school board trustees] are held accountable for that they had been elected to do and to represent parents.”

The assistant at the Williamson County Attorney’s Office said these challenges will have to go through the legal system, factoring Gov. Greg Abbott’s ban on mask mandates in public schools, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s opinion and the school boards’ decisions into account.

During the meeting, the parents also demanded the charges filed against Dustin Clark and Jeremy Storybe dismissed. Clark and Story were arrested Sept. 18 in connection to the RRISD board meeting that was cut short due to several disruptions. They were both charged with hindering proceedings by disorderly conduct, according to court records.

Have any of the school districts with mask mandates said what the offramps are for eliminating their mask mandates? 

"We'll eliminate the mandate when we reach 75% vax rate in the school district or two weeks without a positive case in a school's zip code"

Wouldn't that avoid the circus of doofuses (doofii?)

We're arguing about stupid shit when we could tie actual metrics to things that people want.

"If you eat five more green beans you can have dessert" works pretty well with my kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit.  That’s way more toxic than I thought she capable of.  And her timing is just an absolute delight.  Lots to unpack here but fuck it for now.  It’s OKL/ACL weekend, her hate will be there when I get home.  

but seriously, even for her—this is fucked up

So covid is tanking.  Some schools mandated most didn't.  Some districts got sued.  Kids were quarantined. Crazy school board meetings and hang wringing by parents.   Does anyone have any final stats on all this?  Did we end up protecting kids at all, did this circus actually do anything?  Did any kids die?

I see NISD in SA has dropped their mandate.  NEISD quietly never had one.   I told my double vax kids I'm no longer suggesting or even asking they wear masks.   

Edited by midtown

Backs up my anecdotal evidence of my kids being the ONLY kids out in their entire respective masked schools b/c of Covid (as of 2 weeks ago), and my wife's school having ~ 30ish kids and teachers out 4.5 miles away in an unmasked district. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2021/10/15/michigan-data-show-mask-mandates-slow-covid-spread-in-schools/8422532002/

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Backs up my anecdotal evidence of my kids being the ONLY kids out in their entire respective masked schools b/c of Covid (as of 2 weeks ago), and my wife's school having ~ 30ish kids and teachers out 4.5 miles away in an unmasked district. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2021/10/15/michigan-data-show-mask-mandates-slow-covid-spread-in-schools/8422532002/

It's still weird as fuck that in the past 16 months, I've only had one cold and no flu, when normally my kids are bringing home stuff all the time.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's still weird as fuck that in the past 16 months, I've only had one cold and no flu, when normally my kids are bringing home stuff all the time.

It is weird.  It's like there's some magical device shielding my son and his classmates from the aerosol droplets that normally transmit the viruses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No coffins, just the government inoculating our children against their will!  

What's next, mandatory curricula using Radical Islamic Numbers and the Scientific Method which rejects the Christ?  

Oh yeah, totally forgot about all that hardback smut we accidentally filled school shelves with back in the 80's.  

I think some people Texas still think there's independent video rental stores with that "back room" behind a creepy brown curtain.  And those people got put in charge of our libraries or something.  Every time I wonder "How is a state as hard-working and wealthy as Texas still 45th in the nation in K-12 education scores?"..................I just listen to some other Texans for a moment or two and remember, "Oh right, right.  I 'member."  

How many of the advocates for in person schooling overlap the anti mask anti vaccine crowd?  Because my kids would be fine with in person if chuckle heads would mask or vax.  But usually it’s neither.  So they’re not very happy about in person learning- and they are both straight  A students.  That’s just a regular brag.

5 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

How many of the advocates for in person schooling overlap the anti mask anti vaccine crowd?  Because my kids would be fine with in person if chuckle heads would mask or vax.  But usually it’s neither.  So they’re not very happy about in person learning- and they are both straight  A students.  That’s just a regular brag.

I have no idea, but I'm an advocate for in person schooling because it's vastly more effective than online.  

Both of my kids are straight A students, both are fully vaccinated, and both are strongly in favor of in person school.  Online school was easy for them, and nearly pointless, because it's a significantly inferior learning environment and they recognize that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, Hefeweizen said:

How many school-age kids have died from Covid-19?

Big topic now is talking about getting rid of block day set up. Would get rid of like 14 electives from 6th-12th grade that kids could take over the course of their middle to high school career.

I think the new Superintendent actually hates kids and is going to be proposing a "free range" system where kids just roam the halls all day undisciplined.

AISD is a mess. My wife (no pics) volunteers at both our kid's schools and basically there is zero discipline allowed of any kind. Kids just walk out of class at will, it's crazy. The new superintendent has basically come down and said discipline=hurt feelings for kids and as such it's a no-no.

Is getting rid of block day and the electives simply a cost-saving measure?  If so, that's a pretty stupid and short-sighted solution when the goal is supposed to be keeping kids from leaving the district.  

The new Superintendent sucks.  If that's true about her approach to discipline, it would explain a lot about how different O. Henry is this year compared to when my older child went there with the same admin staff.  

That sounds like a lot.   What’s the rationale for thst?
yup, it's every single Wednesday.

More Teacher planning time.

I think there will still be more educational minutes in the year if they adopt this, which means either the calendar or the other four school days get extended.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:04 PM, utee94 said:

I have no idea, but I'm an advocate for in person schooling because it's vastly more effective than online.  

We need to keep them in school. The kids who are coming back in January of next year.....well the kids in general at the start of the school year seem to be having issues adjusting to lots of other kids, but the kids who have continued to stay at home, I can't imagine what this has done to them.

25 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

Is getting rid of block day and the electives simply a cost-saving measure?  If so, that's a pretty stupid and short-sighted solution when the goal is supposed to be keeping kids from leaving the district.  

The new Superintendent sucks.  If that's true about her approach to discipline, it would explain a lot about how different O. Henry is this year compared to when my older child went there with the same admin staff.  

I think it is her approach. I have a 6th grader at O. Henry and it is night and day different than when my now 9th grader went through there. She is trying to make every school equally shitty.

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I think it is her approach. I have a 6th grader at O. Henry and it is night and day different than when my now 9th grader went through there. She is trying to make every school equally shitty.

Terrific. Next she'll come for the Austin High academies.

I think the new Superintendent actually hates kids

I blew off a teacher friend who said when she was hired that she was brought in to dismantle AISD. Maybe that wasn’t tinfoil hat thinking. She said the superintendent was a big follower of Becky Devos and would destroy public schools to push charters and private schools.