COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

3 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

Knowing for sure that you had it is good information for your decision making going forward.  There is going to be a lot of studies on when you will need a booster under different circumstances, and it is certainly possible that a breakthrough case will provide more durable immunity than vaccination alone.

Not to mention, if it’s not Covid, it could be flu (going around like crazy as well) and that pill is a game changer if taken soon enough. 

Edited by Don Johnson

Why test? For me it starts with knowing how my medical situation affects those around me. You know wife, kids, parents, coworkers, strangers at the grocery, etc. To know if I have a cold, or allergies, or the flu versus covid is a big deal. I had a 102+ fever and chills, but passing covid to my old vaxxed parents could have a worse result.

Unless the objective is to get as many people sick as possible to get herd immunity, I don’t think there are tools other than vaccines or testing to get society back to normal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

Knowing for sure that you had it is good information for your decision making going forward.  There is going to be a lot of studies on when you will need a booster under different circumstances, and it is certainly possible that a breakthrough case will provide more durable immunity than vaccination alone.

Eh I know you know your shit here so I guess I can buy this though I have serious doubts public health policy regarding vaccination and boosters is ever going to be a stated choose your own adventure of.  "If you have this scenario plus this scenario plus this scenario do A but if this....blah blah blah do B, etc.  We can't even get people to just take a shot when the message is simply "get a fucking shot"

1 minute ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Why test? For me it starts with knowing how my medical situation affects those around me. You know wife, kids, parents, coworkers, strangers at the grocery, etc. To know if I have a cold, or allergies, or the flu versus covid is a big deal. I had a 102+ fever and chills, but passing covid to my old vaxxed parents could have a worse result.

Unless the objective is to get as many people sick as possible to get herd immunity, I don’t think there are tools other than vaccines or testing to get society back to normal.

You would go hang around your old parents with a 102 degree fever?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Riiiight, that’s exactly what I said. Are you really saying that better testing availability wouldn’t help the current covid situation?

I just read what you said. 

I had a 102+ fever and chills, but passing covid to my old vaxxed parents could have a worse result.

I'm not against testing at all just not sure why in limited testing environments you need to use a test if you have a 102+ degree fever to make it clear not to hang out with anybody.  The 102 degree fever is a pretty clear sign that Covid or anything else it's not in your best interest or those who would be around you to socialize.   You don't need to HAVE Covid for it not to be a good idea to go out in the world with a 102+ degree fever.  

I mean honestly you are kind of a bad example, if you were getting to 103 or worse that is probably the kind of fever that med folks would tell you to get checked out anyway.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Don't we all get the flu dozens of times in our lifetime, sometimes more than once in a season?  There's no such thing as influenza immunity.  You can get it for certain strains, but not all, and not forever. 

I'm not against testing at all just not sure why in limited testing environments you need to use a test if you have a 102+ degree fever to make it clear not to hang out with anybody.  The 102 degree fever is a pretty clear sign that Covid or anything else it's not in your best interest or those who would be around you to socialize.   You don't need to HAVE Covid for it not to be a good idea to go out in the world with a 102+ degree fever.  
I mean honestly you are kind of a bad example, if you were getting to 103 or worse that is probably the kind of fever that med folks would tell you to get checked out anyway.  

For fucks sake, I’m saying covid gave me a 102 fever, but could do much worse to my elderly parents if they caught it. Therefore a test helps. No plans to socialize or kiss memaw while I had a fever.

If people can’t find tests, there is no fucking way we wait TEN days before going back into the public after having a fever for ~24 hours.
  • Like 1

So we have to remind folks not only to wash their hands but also to quarantine when their sick? I guess I'm an idiot for thinking this was already a thing (except for women who I hear have very low hand-washing compliance).

Pretty sure you are referring to me, so fuck off you illiterate cunt, if not, have a delightful evening.

6 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

For fucks sake, I’m saying covid gave me a 102 fever, but could do much worse to my elderly parents if they caught it. Therefore a test helps. No plans to socialize or kiss memaw while I had a fever.

If people can’t find tests, there is no fucking way we wait TEN days before going back into the public after having a fever for ~24 hours.

Hope you feel better.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

So is this basically saying it will infect you easily, particularly in nose, throat etc but doesn't really do well in lung cells/tissue....particularly if you have some acquired immunity through vax.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So is this basically saying it will infect you easily, particularly in nose, throat etc but doesn't really do well in lung cells/tissue....particularly if you have some acquired immunity through vax.  

Exactly. It's good news. The evidence is becoming substantial that this is a milder version.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It’s ripping through all my social circles. One group of 17 went to a concert last Saturday, 12 ended up positive (all vaxxed). I had cold like symptoms for a few days but starting to feel normal again. I have a feeling I’ll be pretty close to fine tomorrow. My doctor said they were inundated this past week.

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

What pill?

Xofluza. I think.  I haven’t taken it but it cut my brother and SIL flu to one day. But you have to take it in first 24-48 hours. 

And these days you aren’t going to find out you have the flu until you’ve first found out you don’t have Covid. A reason to test. 

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Why do you all need tests?  I mean you have a low grade on and off fever, generally feel bad but not too bad, get over it in a few days without getting much worse.  What's the allure of the test?  If it drags on for more than 3 or 4 days, symptoms don't improve, fever stays, things gets worse etc by all means have at it.  Just not sure why anybody would subject themselves when feeling mildly or even moderately under the weather a bit to a goose chase/long wait time.

I have a few reasons to know.  One being I'm asthmatic and want to know for my future health prospects.    

The other is that I have to go into the office where I work.  I can't just tell them yeah, I think I've got Covid, I'm gonna stay home for 10 days, see you in 2022.  No, I've got to give them proof of a positive test.  It turns out, our lunch group at the office all likely have it now as two of us tested positive today.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Why don’t you just buy a home test at any drug store? Those home tests have some false negatives but very few false positives.

lulz.  better chance of getting a ps5 last xmas.  wife was trying to get a test and it was a no-go at 4 different cvs and walgreens locations.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s ripping through all my social circles. One group of 17 went to a concert last Saturday, 12 ended up positive (all vaxxed). I had cold like symptoms for a few days but starting to feel normal again. I have a feeling I’ll be pretty close to fine tomorrow. My doctor said they were inundated this past week.

All the hysterics need to read this slowly as many times as it takes the dots to connect and the lightbulb to go off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Pretty sure you are referring to me, so fuck off you illiterate cunt, if not, have a delightful evening.

If you're a dumbass who doesn't quarantine when she has a 102-degree fever, then I'm talking to you. If you're not, then I'm not. Regardless, I might suggest anger management classes for hubby's sake.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Dontshootrude said:

Calling them “breakthrough cases” at this juncture is pretty much window dressing for the bureaucrats.  The shit is everywhere, just as it was going to be.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Why would you see anyone if you had a 102 fever and chills even if it wasn’t  Covid?   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Riiiight, that’s exactly what I said. Are you really saying that better testing availability wouldn’t help the current covid situation?

Now we’re back at the same argument as April 2020.   Let’s see how much pressure the admin gets for this.  Lol

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Pablo said:

I have a few reasons to know.  One being I'm asthmatic and want to know for my future health prospects.    

The other is that I have to go into the office where I work.  I can't just tell them yeah, I think I've got Covid, I'm gonna stay home for 10 days, see you in 2022.  No, I've got to give them proof of a positive test.  It turns out, our lunch group at the office all likely have it now as two of us tested positive today.

Your employer is saying that they want someone with Covid symptoms to come into the office unless they get a test that is in low supply? Or are they saying that you can’t come on, and we won’t pay you?

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Your employer is saying that they want someone with Covid symptoms to come into the office unless they get a test that is in low supply? Or are they saying that you can’t come on, and we won’t pay you?

Yeah, even my high school took a note from my mom.  You should try that.

16 hours ago, Pablo said:

Two rounds of Pfizer here, no booster, but started getting symptoms on Thursday night, feverish, body aches and freezing cold.  Couldn't sleep.  Had plans to get a hair cut and drive down to Austin to see the parents for Christmas, but that wasn't going to happen.  Didn't want to make them sick, they aren't vaccinated and were both hospitalized this past April for Covid.

Christmas Eve day, no more aches, but lots of sinus pressure and a sore throat.  Come to find out my friend from work had the exact same symptoms almost exact time as me.  He seemed to have worse symptoms, higher fever, cough and sore throat.  He tried to get a test around Houston town but no luck. 

Christmas day, felt better, nose started to drain, no more fatigue, just mild cold symptoms.  

Today, I ventured out to get a test to see what this shit is, after a fiasco with Harris Public Health in Aldine, I got a Rapid and PCR test down by NRG.  My friend from work gave me this location and he was about an hour ahead of me.  

My friend was in line about an hour before me, and he got a negative rapid test.  I popped positive on rapid.  We'll both get our PCR tests in a few days to see what the real results are I guess.

Employee had these symptoms plus 101 fever for four days last week. Tested negative for Covid 3 times (home tests). 

some nasty flu going around right now as well I guess 

23 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Employee had these symptoms plus 101 fever for four days last week. Tested negative for Covid 3 times (home tests). 

There’s all sorts of shit going around right now to be honest.  Our immune systems are a little compromised right now due to lack of exposure.   

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Certainly possible this is true, but sounds very similar to what I just went through with Covid. Started feeling bad with a fever, took an at home test, negative. Next day feeling worse, got a rapid antigen and a 24 hour PCR, both came back negative. Then had 3 straight days of 101-102 fever. On day 6 fever was back to low grade so I took another rapid antigen, came back positive.

• Hook 'Em 1

As predicted I feel pretty normal this morning, 5-6 days after symptoms started. I’m glad I was vaxxed.

Another reason to get tested is so that the national statistics are more accurate. Since the symptoms of this strain are milder I’m sure a lot more people won’t show up in the case numbers even though they are positive because they won’t get tested. The smaller the hospitalized/dead to infected number the better in terms of getting back to normal.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear on that part, brain fog and all that.   

They want to know that your Covid positive if you're symptomatic, so they can deal with HR issues such as first onset of symptoms, people I interacted with at the office and things like that.  From my knowledge, we've had a pretty good run at our corporate office with avoiding outbreaks, but this time it could be different.  

16 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear on that part, brain fog and all that.   

They want to know that your Covid positive if you're symptomatic, so they can deal with HR issues such as first onset of symptoms, people I interacted with at the office and things like that.  From my knowledge, we've had a pretty good run at our corporate office with avoiding outbreaks, but this time it could be different.  

From your posts it sounds like your office needs to tell everyone there that they've been exposed since several of you have symptoms. That you're aware of so far.

COVID is pushing HR policies to quickly change especially with the high contagion of omicron. Just because they required a positive PCR test last month shouldn't be the expectation today. Or if it is, that is a sign of weak leadership.

• Like 2

One thing I came across for people doing at home tests, swab both the throat and the nose.  Apparently this is common knowledge in Europe but not here.  With Omicron in particular, it apparently moves so quickly that you likely start feeling symptoms before it's progressed to a detectable level via test in the nose.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From your posts it sounds like your office needs to tell everyone there that they've been exposed since several of you have symptoms. That you're aware of so far.

COVID is pushing HR policies to quickly change especially with the high contagion of omicron. Just because they required a positive PCR test last month shouldn't be the expectation today. Or if it is, that is a sign of weak leadership.

It'll be interesting how this is handled, if there is an announcement of any kind.  There hasn't been any announcement previously of any single person having Covid, we only heard through the rumor mill.

2 minutes ago, Pablo said:

It'll be interesting how this is handled, if there is an announcement of any kind.  There hasn't been any announcement previously of any single person having Covid, we only heard through the rumor mill.

They to worry about breaking the law if the employer releases someone's covid diagnosis or even to an extent that the employee's identification can be easily guessed. I bet even if the employee said that they were ok with releasing the info, HR would be hesitant.

An employer should be very relaxed with their work-from-home/call-in-sick policies in the next few weeks unless they want their entire workforce out.

I get that the conventional wisdom is that omicron is much more contagious BUT not as severe. Well, hospitals are starting to fill up at same rate that we saw with Delta. Past history shows us that hospitalization trails new cases by a week or so, and deaths trail hospitalizations. 

Houston med center:

TMC-COVID-19-Monitoring-Metrics-12-27-20

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I get that the conventional wisdom is that omicron is much more contagious BUT not as severe. Well, hospitals are starting to fill up at same rate that we saw with Delta. Past history shows us that hospitalization trails new cases by a week or so, and deaths trail hospitalizations. 

Houston med center:

Maybe.  But the trend line doesn't look as steep as in the past (but sure, it's still early in the trend).  AND, the ICU growth rate is not as steep, and I recall reading several sources that said that hospitals are admitting patients they wouldn't ordinarily admit (that is, their symptoms aren't as severe) because they have the room for them at this point.

Also, admissions relative to infections is an important data point.  If this is several times more infectious (meaning several times more cases), but the same raw numbers of hospitalizations, it means that the percentage of cases of this illness that are severe has gone way down.  And that is our ultimate goal -- to have this be an illness that has a similarly low rate of severe outcomes as something like the seasonal flu.  And YES, we must take steps to reduce/limit transmission (like vaccinations, staying home if you're sick, masks in certain situations, etc.), because even .001% of a metric shitton of cases is still a big number for hospitals to deal with.  In any case, I'd like to see that number -- the relative hospitalization rate per number of infections for Alpha, Delta, and Omicron.

But yes, the jury is still out to some degree.  We'll never know exactly what the story is about any phase of the life cycle of this pandemic until well after the fact.  Such is the nature of novel, rapidly changing situations.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Houston med center:

Yea, it will be interesting to see if these are hospital visits/short admissions. Remember A LOT of folks use hospitals as their doctor's office due to financial issues.  Plus Delta has still been 25-30% of cases of recent vintage (shrinking fast) so it has still been doing its thing.  If the profile of these hospital visits/stays is like Delta and before it will be another shit show.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe.  But the trend line doesn't look as steep as in the past (but sure, it's still early in the trend).  AND, the ICU growth rate is not as steep, and I recall reading several sources that said that hospitals are admitting patients they wouldn't ordinarily admit (that is, their symptoms aren't as severe) because they have the room for them at this point.

Also, admissions relative to infections is an important data point.  If this is several times more infectious (meaning several times more cases), but the same raw numbers of hospitalizations, it means that the percentage of cases of this illness that are severe has gone way down.  And that is our ultimate goal -- to have this be an illness that has a similarly low rate of severe outcomes as something like the seasonal flu.  And YES, we must take steps to reduce/limit transmission (like vaccinations, staying home if you're sick, masks in certain situations, etc.), because even .001% of a metric shitton of cases is still a big number for hospitals to deal with.  In any case, I'd like to see that number -- the relative hospitalization rate per number of infections for Alpha, Delta, and Omicron.

But yes, the jury is still out to some degree.  We'll never know exactly what the story is about any phase of the life cycle of this pandemic until well after the fact.  Such is the nature of novel, rapidly changing situations.

Agree. This week will also produce weird numbers due to the holidays. We might see 3-4 days of testing results reported together.