2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

7 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Strom, Pettis replacement, Cintron... coach of the game competition getting fierce!

out the window goes the philosophy that it's too late to coach technique during the game...

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

I still can't believe Lopez sent Machete.....and I can't believe that Austin Meadows arm is so wack that he couldn't gun him down 

when the announcer said "and they're sending maldonado", they went to a shot of home plate.  typically when you hear that, you get ready to see a play.  once they showed home plate, there were a couple beats where maldonado wasn't even in frame yet.  i was happy he got sent, but when i didn't see him, i was certain he'd be hosed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

when the announcer said "and they're sending maldonado", they went to a shot of home plate.  typically when you hear that, you get ready to see a play.  once they showed home plate, there were a couple beats where maldonado wasn't even in frame yet.  i was happy he got sent, but when i didn't see him, i was certain he'd be hosed.

Other than Maldonado and Astros fans everywhere, Meadows was probably surprised even more to look up and see him heading home.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Fairly decent chance that’s happened in the regular season. Some guy named Elias probably knows the answer.

Negative sir- I guarantee that's never happned.  See- to do that (hit first pitch of the game and last pitch of the game for a HR) one would have to be both the home and visiting team as by definition the home team can't homer on the first pitch of the game and by definition the visitors can't walk it off. or end the the game on a HR (as if they were behind they'd keep going and it wouldn't be the last pitch). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

IF Bregman hits the first inning jack at least that's a guarantee of at least 2 runs. 

Duh, because there's a leadoff Springer Dinger and then some Rays idiot threw Aluve a high fastball he demolished.  Followed by Breg breaking out of the slump. 

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Negative sir- I guarantee that's never happned.  See- to do that (hit first pitch of the game and last pitch of the game for a HR) one would have to be both the home and visiting team as by definition the home team can't homer on the first pitch of the game and by definition the visitors can't walk it off. or end the the game on a HR (as if they were behind they'd keep going and it wouldn't be the last pitch). 

Ding ding ding 

but knowing baseball there has probably been some weird suspended regular season game that became final where that happened 

Edited by UTexasFight

42 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Ding ding ding 

but knowing baseball there has probably been some weird suspended regular season game that became final where that happened 

Maybe, but for a called game to be final when the road team is batting, I think the home team has to be leading. So the guy with both homers would have to be losing, and his final homer would be immediately followed by a weather delay.

Or, the leadoff hitter could hit the leadoff home run and the game gets postponed.  He is then traded to the other team and hits the game winning home run when its resumed on another day.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Maybe, but for a called game to be final when the road team is batting, I think the home team has to be leading. So the guy with both homers would have to be losing, and his final homer would be immediately followed by a weather delay.

And if the guy was losing that AB couldn’t end the game (not and be official) because they’d have to resume it and have another pitch. It’s literally impossible. I ducked around with considering stuff like what you are suggesting and tangents off of that and it doesn’t work. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And if the guy was losing that AB couldn’t end the game (not and be official) because they’d have to resume it and have another pitch. It’s literally impossible. I ducked around with considering stuff like what you are suggesting and tangents off of that and it doesn’t work. 

Yeah, in the minors or other leagues with a mercy rule, it might have happened though.

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I love Springer. But he’s 5 years older and at his position he will degenerate more when he loses his athleticism.  If I had to pick one it’d be Correa. But I’m fine with signing them both. Let’s just give all the money to the core 5 while we have Yordan and Tucker cheap, and pay the pitchers a combined $25 million or something. Trade Greinke and trot out a starting rotation that makes like $13,000,000 total (LMJ at liken10 million) and a bullpen that makes like 12 million (after you trade Presley and DFA Osuna who is hurt). 
I’m joking (mostly) but man- I sure would love to see a lineup that had Yordan added to a fully weaponized Tucker- as our #8 hitter. 

You can get creative with the money and years, because after next year you are getting $65M off the books. You also need to lock up McCullers, who is a FA after 2021. If you are spending less than $25M for your pitching staff and you have Tucker and Alvarez under control for 5 more years, you have a long window of high competition, especially if our white whale finally joins the rotation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Or, the leadoff hitter could hit the leadoff home run and the game gets postponed.  He is then traded to the other team and hits the game winning home run when its resumed on another day.

Looked up the second possibility.  There have been a few traded players in history that could have potentially played for both teams in a suspended game, but none of them did, much less hit any home runs.  Mostly bench warmers.

7 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah, in the minors or other leagues with a mercy rule, it might have happened though.

Most likely would be this- first pitch homer in by visiting team- last pitch hike run by visiting team, immediate storm- game reverts back to last completed inning- home team wins- so no need for a make up. But even then the game would have ended in the real world on said HR but the stats and gamelog would not acknowledge it and it wouldn’t be official (unless they’ve since changed the rules)

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You can get creative with the money and years, because after next year you are getting $65M off the books. You also need to lock up McCullers, who is a FA after 2021. If you are spending less than $25M for your pitching staff and you have Tucker and Alvarez under control for 5 more years, you have a long window of high competition, especially if our white whale finally joins the rotation.

You aren’t extending lance past 21 then and keeping the pitching staff cheap. But yeah- that’s kinda my point you could do it- I’d just be shocked to see it happen. Hope I’m wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You aren’t extending lance past 21 then and keeping the pitching staff cheap. But yeah- that’s kinda my point you could do it- I’d just be shocked to see it happen. Hope I’m wrong. 

Lance isn’t going to be prohibitively expensive. He’s at $4.1MM this year. Will probably get $8MM next year. He’s no superstar and with his injury history, I think he could get maybe 3/$45MM on the high end. Of course that could change based on 2021 performance. 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Lance isn’t going to be prohibitively expensive. He’s at $4.1MM this year. Will probably get $8MM next year. He’s no superstar and with his injury history, I think he could get maybe 3/$45MM on the high end. Of course that could change based on 2021 performance. 

Agreed. If you wanted to

sit down and offer lance 4/60 this offseason I would not complain. Lance has a big ego and wouldn’t take that I bet. 

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Agreed. If you wanted to

sit down and offer lance 4/60 this offseason I would not complain. Lance has a big ego and wouldn’t take that I bet. 

Yeah.  IIRC, he was an above-slot guy when drafted which was only possible because Correa came in cheap (relatively speaking).  I doubt he does anything but fully exploit his FA status after next year.  It may not work out like he is hoping, but he’s gonna go for it.  Should probably give Keuchel a call to gain some perspective.  They seem to be on the same level ego-wise even though Lance doesn’t have any Cy Young hardware.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know what is going to happen today and I obviously hope it's nothing but a bushel of early runs and a shutdown performance from Framberlamps.

Just throwin this out to the BBGs and the baseball ether, but this could be our last game this year and it could be the last time we see George Springer in an Astros uniform. I feel good vibes right now but no matter what happens from here on out,  George Springer is a lifelong Astro who has carved his spot on the HTown Heroes Mt Rushmore alongside Hakeem, Earl, Nolan, and Craig. 

I was excited when Ed Wade drafted him in 2011 out of UConn and had high hopes that he would reach his potential as a power-hitting OF. When those historically awful Astros teams were a laughingstock and not even available on TV in Austin, Springer's nightly box scores in Lancaster, CC, and OKC were the tidbits of Astros-related news that I most anticipated and drew a lot of hope from. He raked at every level and I couldn't wait to see him in Houston and took the few opportunities I could to see him in RR when OKC came through town.

Then he makes his debut in 2014, winds up on the cover of SI, and becomes a fucking star and Houston sports legend. I always believed he'd be an All-Star but everything he's accomplished has exceeded my imagination. 

Let's all take a moment to bow our heads in gratitude because we are blessed to have watched that man play baseball the last six years.

SPRINGER DINGER FOREVER.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3